• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Mass Effect on hiatus, most BioWare Montreal staff now at Motive, still on MP

Hahs

Echo, echO, eCho - Chamber, cHaMber, chamBer...

The hiatus is well warranted IMO - cut it off before it spoils! Make sure Andromeda​ doesn't happen to other IPs..get EVEN MORE COMFORTABLE with Frostbite, hire more/better devs..take fucking time and settle in as a team... retrospect that shit and approach the next iteration with feedback/wisdom/fresh eyes and enthusiasm

UltraMav

If it's sey way after Andromeda, the Ryders can be all grown up and like part of some council while the player can be someone else.

Although unlikely at this point, I'm hoping for some sort of heel turn regarding SAM. There's a reason AI's were banned, and the actual ethical implications of melding one into the pathfinders' brains are pretty offputting. I'd like to see that explored instead of just handwaived as "milky way paranoia."

diaspora

Although unlikely at this point, I'm hoping for some sort of heel turn regarding SAM. There's a reason AI's were banned, and the actual ethical implications of melding one into the pathfinders' brains are pretty offputting. I'd like to see that explored instead of just handwaived as "milky way paranoia."

IIRC there's a scientist on the Nexus that scolds you for doing just that saying that people's fear of AI is totally justified due to the geth and other examples. They seem cognizant that it's abnormal but idk if they'll go down that route.

Was Andromeda made with a direct sequel in mind? I couldn't stomach more than a few hours of it so I didn't make much story progress. Regardless, the news regarding the studio doesn't surprise me at all, but it's nice to see that they're at least not totally abandoning the game in terms of post-launch support.

Honestly, Bioware fucked up the Geth stuff pretty hard after ME2 by casting the Quarians in a bad guy role instead of making that a case of "interstellar geopolitics causing bad decision making," so I don't mind the whole "the Andromeda Initiative experiments with AI and it doesn't blow up in their face" thing.

If anything, it's a nice change of pace from "all AI goes crazy/evil," which scifi's been hammering ultra hard for the past 30-40 years.

Haven't really been following-is there no announced or even planned (single player) DLC for the game at this point? It'd be a shame if they didn't take the criticisms to heart and improve on them in an add-on or two.

Amory

Sad to see.

The game wasn't that bad. I actually quite enjoyed it during my 60+ hour playthrough, though there were frustrating and disappointing elements. It was a first crack at a huge game on the current gen systems. There's a lot there to build on, and I hope they get that opportunity.

If only BW Edmonton and EA had the balls to say publicly it was their fault letting an inexperienced team tackling a huge game and told Edmonton is going to make the next ME and make the best game they can, instead of this hiatus bullshit.
The only hiatus the franchise needs is the 3-4 years of development time it takes for the next game to be made.

And even then, doesnt seem Edmonton is at is quality peak right now after pumping DA mediocre sequels.

I hope at least edmonton is one fixing the sruff that was promised with patches.

Near the end of the main story on Havarl: I'm enjoying it so far, I just had to get off crappy Eos

Actually kinda bummed at the reception it got because there's a hell of a lot to do and it's mostly entertain me so far

Renekton

If only BW Edmonton and EA had the balls to say publicly it was their fault letting an inexperienced team tackling a huge game and told Edmonton is going to make the next ME and make the best game they can, instead of this hiatus bullshit.
The only hiatus the franchise needs is the 3-4 years of development time it takes for the next game to be made.

And even then, doesnt seem Edmonton is at is quality peak right now after pumping DA mediocre sequels.

I hope at least edmonton is one fixing the sruff that was promised with patches.
From what I understand, the project structure of modern Western developers like Bioware nowadays are super fluid, more like a dovecote system than fixed teams. Personnel within are allocated in and out of projects as they ramp accordingly.

What this means is that, there is not so much Team A or B but they may just suck/excel equally.

royox

But Edmonton is working on the new big Bioware IP, maybe that's why ME will be on hiatus.

Even if they make another Mass Effect game, is it safe to assume that they'll skip the Ryders?

If they ever did the MMO type game i'd keep the Ryders as the human archetype and Pathfinder.
Meanwhile the other races get a different male and female base.

Though I guess they could go a bit deeper since humans would be common and also create a soldier archetype that is more Shepard to Ryders adventurers.

dr_rus

After the insane amount of money World of Warcraft had made and continues to make, their choice was an obvious one.

Was it? One would think that some studio seeing as one giant game (WoW) totally dominates a market which isn't so large to begin with would try to avoid entering this market specifically as chances are that it will be very hard to compete with that one giant game.

I really hope Bioware's new IP turns out to be good. I was hesitant when I learned they were working on Dragon Age back in the day (another bland fantasy RPG? I don't know...), but it won me over and I was a fan of it in the end.
Sad to see.

The game wasn't that bad. I actually quite enjoyed it during my 60+ hour playthrough, though there were frustrating and disappointing elements. It was a first crack at a huge game on the current gen systems. There's a lot there to build on, and I hope they get that opportunity.
I agree that I didn't particularly have a bad time with the game, but I can't honestly say I have any interest in playing the game again, and I usually play Bioware games at least twice through (the ME games I've played MANY times).

And I know it was on PS3 and 360, but Dragon Age Inqusition was Bioware's first crack at a game on current gen, and they did a reasonably decent job with that one, definitely a better job than they did with ME:A and they didn't even need to consider a last gen port of the game either.

Artdayne

Was it? One would think that some studio seeing as one giant game (WoW) totally dominates a market which isn't so large to begin with would try to avoid entering this market specifically as chances are that it will be very hard to compete with that one giant game.

There were already post World of Warcraft MMOs that failed under the subscription based model, Age of Conan and Warhammer online to name a couple. Bioware was bought out by EA so that Bioware could get more funding for their Star Wars MMO. Shortly after the Star Wars MMO began to tank the doctors left. Granted, Stars Wars Old republic is fairly successful now as a free to play game but I don't know, things have changed ever since they were bought out by EA and that happen because of the Star Wars MMO.

Mindlog

Apologies, but I just saw some weird stuff.
Is the source of this story Sinclair Networks?

I mean in the immediate future of course it makes sense to focus on Anthem and DA, but do the larger implications rely on Sinclair Media?

Rodhull

Apologies, but I just saw some weird stuff.
Is the source of this story Sinclair Networks?

I mean in the immediate future of course it makes sense to focus on Anthem and DA, but do the larger implications rely on Sinclair Media?

Bit of a late reply but Mike Gamble ME producer said on twitter that he's never heard of that company so doubt they have anything to do with the series.

Top Bottom