• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: NFS Rivals "indistinguishable" between PS4/PC, XB1 version not present

Biker19

Banned
You will be very disappointed then. The consoles are very close in terms of power. Because one of the component of the PS4 is 40% better won't make night and day. Especially not in this generation where you need A LOT more power for the game to show up a bit better on the screen. This is not the 90s where a little bit more power makes a big difference.

LOL. No where is the Xbox One & the PS4 very close to each other in power like with the PS3 & Xbox 360.

8 GB's of GDDR5 RAM & a 1.84 TFLOP GPU is far superior to 8 GB's of DDR3 RAM & a 1.31 TFLOP GPU (1.18 of it being used for games). Plus why do you think that 3rd party publishers show off PS4 &/or PC versions of games more so than Xbox One versions of games?

Stop trying to sugarcoat shit. ChiliManiac, the same goes for you.

Alvarez

Banned
I know I'm coming into this late as fuck, but I know people who...

- Can't recognize aliasing
- Can't recognize screen tearing
- Can't perceive the difference between 30 and 60 FPS

Knowing this, I don't trust this statement:

"What I saw was impressive no matter what machine it was running on."

SeanR1221

Ok, as someone who has no idea what any of this tech stuff means, what a flop is or anything like that. Someone explain to me. What is the perceived difference in power between xb1 and ps4. I see 50% difference thrown around a lot. So are we talking like...ps3 to the wii difference? Or what?

kyser73

Could Computing is newly emerging. <snip>

Cloud is a marketing term used to describe a reversion to a networking model that existed before the PC and MS-DOS.

You do all the actual work and hold all the data on a centralised server rack (instead of a mainframe) and access it via dumb terminals - or more likely a web browser with a really light OS. The Chromebook is a good example of what consumer cloud looks like.

The big difference is that now those dumb terminals are all mobile, and server power is, once again, capable of doing the heavy lifting in this kind of environment. Look at the sales of desktop PCs vs laptops & tablets, especially in the corporate market - they're collapsing because the momentum is moving back toward centralised apps (Office 2013 Enterprise, for example) and relatively light terminals.

As for the power difference... the PS3 CPU is more powerful than the 360 - but it's hampered by a crazy memory solution and an underpowered GPU that isn't as capable as the 360s. Next-gen is strangely as if he situation is reversed - (allegedly*) more powerful CPU/underpowered GPU and weird memory structure vs. more powerful GPU & better memory solution. Can't comment on the CPU clock speed on the PS4 since Sony haven't said anything about it yet.

kyser73

"Cloud technology" is not newly emerging, it is a god damn fucking marketing term. WTF do they teach in comp science these days. For fucks sake. I was using "cloud technology" when I was playing games on BBS's in the 80's.

Get Pong for retro cloudy goodness!

viveks86

It's an opinion piece. It doesn't get much into the technical details. So yes, you are absolutely justified to not trust it. :)

kyser73

Also - using a CPU-based server array to crunch math for graphic simulations? Pretty expensive way of doing it - GPGPU arrays are faster, cheaper & easier to build.

People do realize things like locked framerates on PC do not stay that way. One does not simply release a game on PC with gimmicks such as locked framerate and it not get hacked/fixed by a 3rd party in less than 24 hours. Sheesh!

viveks86

Also - using a CPU-based server array to crunch math for graphic simulations? Pretty expensive way of doing it - GPGPU arrays are faster, cheaper & easier to build.

Not gonna happen, man. Not this generation at least. Even if it weren't expensive, the latencies are magnitudes higher than local processing. If anything comes out of the "cloud movement" it's more widespread application of usage & behavior analytics, and dedicated servers. Cloud based graphics simulation is far too nascent to get mainstream adoption anytime soon. Having said that, there have been real world testing done not too long ago. Interesting links below:

http://graphics.cs.williams.edu/papers/CloudLight13/Crassin13Cloud.pdf

http://graphics.cs.williams.edu/papers/CloudLight13/CloudLightTechReport13.mp4

viveks86

People do realize things like locked framerates on PC do not stay that way. One does not simply release a game on PC with gimmicks such as locked framerate and it not get hacked/fixed by a 3rd party in less than 24 hours. Sheesh!

Split/Second never got any mods to unlock the framerate.
This. Also there was an interesting point earlier in the thread that hacks/fixes may screw up multiplayer access as well compatibility with updates.

Gaz_RB

I'd assumed "all platforms" was in the context of all consoles - current and next gen, where fixing an FPS target is relevant. The justification in that article points to limitations relevant to consoles. I'd still like to see an explicit confirmation that PC has been framerate-locked.

No faith in me!

30fps for all versions??? :/

Here! 30 FPS PC locked

lol at the comments below the article

Its so dumb. Company of Heroes 2 does not support CF/SLI and now these morons want the framerate not to go beyond 30. Just wonderful . Reminds me of Hitler.

iamvin22

Industry Verified
1.3 vs 1.84 is not as big a difference as you think it's going to be. Maybe, just maybe you'll be able to crunch AI numbers slightly better and it's my understanding that the CPU and GPU of the X1 have recently been increased. So your looking at a difference of .30 or 40 teraflop calcs per second. When you factor in the cloud and the ability to be able to offload intensive operations like AI you free of a lot of computing for graphics. Cloud won't make the games look better, but it will free up the computing to allow games to look better. Either way, NFS is going to look amazing on both consoles.

07-minister.jpg

tensuke

1.3 vs 1.84 is not as big a difference as you think it's going to be. Maybe, just maybe you'll be able to crunch AI numbers slightly better and it's my understanding that the CPU and GPU of the X1 have recently been increased. So your looking at a difference of .30 or 40 teraflop calcs per second. When you factor in the cloud and the ability to be able to offload intensive operations like AI you free of a lot of computing for graphics. Cloud won't make the games look better, but it will free up the computing to allow games to look better. Either way, NFS is going to look amazing on both consoles.

The CPU and GPU were both increased slightly, the 1.3 TFLOPS number you see is actually AFTER the GPU's upclock, and the CPU had a 9% upclock. Not to mention what the system reserves from the CPU and GPU thanks to Snap and the three OSs (puts the Xbone gpu at around 1.18 TFLOPS for games). Current gen console GPUs don't even hit 500 GFLOPS, the difference between Xbone and PS4 gpu raw FLOPS, in fact they are about half of that. Now, FLOPS aren't the end-all be-all of graphics performance, but, they're a pretty good measurement considering both PS4 and Xbone GPUs are built around the same architectures. The cloud is nothing, even if it were something, Sony could do it too if they wished, it has nothing to do with one console's hardware. But Sony doesn't need to market the cloud because their hardware is fully capable. MAYBE latency will be reduced enough to allow the Xbone to free up CPU cycles (this would be doing AI calculations, not the GPU) for certain things, but this has no impact on graphics, because the GPU still has the same load. Even if they were able to free up some GPU operations, the PS4 could render the exact same thing with no need of cloud babble because the GPU has enough extra firepower already.

Could Computing is newly emerging. I have faith in the technology and I think the X1 integrated it in knowing that in a few years from now its potential to augment our gaming experience was worth the investment out the gate. Though I believe Sony has the more powerful system currently, it's hard to know what the future has in store. This generation could last 10 or 15 years. These systems are built to be sustainable and evolve. They will be very different machines 5 years from now.

Cloud computing is literally just offloading computational tasks to other computers rather than doing the work locally. There's nothing new about that. "Cloud computing" these days in consumer devices and software does nothing but try to replace local storage and instill online DRM. It is useful in select applications, but not game processing or rendering. Nothing will make the Xbone more powerful than it is now, certain tasks may be able to be offloaded with acceptable latency but that will never change the actual hardware, and it will never change the nature of the GPU. The only chance you'll get to see the Xbone run games that couldn't run on PS4 hardware is through a game-streaming system, which MS is testing and Sony is eventually rolling out with Gaikai. I hope to god this generation doesn't last 10 or 15 years. That kind of streaming cloud tech that may be feasible in the future isn't nearly ready and these consoles won't last longer than 7 or 8.

The developer themselves said one version would look as good as the pc version.

Polygon said ps4 version looks better than the pc version, that suggests that ps4 could be the lead pkatform for this game

Wouldn't it be the same for PS4 though? What would make the Xbox GPU crippled by the OS while the PS4 is not? I understand the PS4 OS is supposedly lighter than the XB1 but I trust MS when it comes to OS performance. I can't see both having such a big difference.

All those eye catching features that look very pretty like snap mode

SeanR1221

Ok, as someone who has no idea what any of this tech stuff means, what a flop is or anything like that. Someone explain to me. What is the perceived difference in power between xb1 and ps4. I see 50% difference thrown around a lot. So are we talking like...ps3 to the wii difference? Or what?

??

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
I'm kind of looking forward to it, a Burnout Paradise sequel is really what I'm waiting for, but these other titles that are all similar in their open world driving nature will keep me entertained. It looks pretty nice too which is always good, and thankfully there is a damn compass unlike NFS Most Wanted which just left me kind of confused where everything was in relation to where I was without having to open the big map all the time.

No developer will ever tell you that there are going to be big differences even if they are. According to Bethesda the framerate on the PS3 version of Skyrim was at parity with the 360 version. That's not to say that there will be dramatic differences, but developers will never actively advertise them on consoles.

truth/

mrprice33

Neo Member
Wouldn't it stand to reason that the game was designed on console as a lead platform and balanced for 30 FPS, which is why the PC version is capped?

You just said that the cloud won't make games look better but then it will make games look better, in the same sentence. You are trying way too hard to defend the xbone lately, chili.

Nethaniah

Wouldn't it stand to reason that the game was designed on console as a lead platform and balanced for 30 FPS, which is why the PC version is capped?

Pretty much every multiplatform games this past gen was designed for consoles (which then ran 30fps) yet the pc versions of those games weren't fps locked, okay a small amount were but still.

If your game can't just run with an unlocked framerate on pc despite being capped at 30 on consoles you definitely fucked up somewhere.

mrprice33

Neo Member
Pretty much every multiplatform games this past gen was designed for consoles yet the pc versions of those games weren't fps locked, okay a small amount were but still.

Perhaps.

I also think the poor performance of last year's NFS game on PC (it was rough even on a 7970) has something to do with it.

On the macro level, I think there's going to be a shift back towards prioritizing the console versions of games. Now that there's somewhat parity in terms of power, I worry that the PC versions are going to be neglected like they were earlier in the gen. Time will tell on that front.

Nethaniah

Perhaps.

I also think the poor performance of last year's NFS game on PC (it was rough even on a 7970) has something to do with it.

On the macro level, I think there's going to be a shift back towards prioritizing the console versions of games. Now that there's somewhat parity in terms of power, I worry that the PC versions are going to be neglected like they were earlier in the gen. Time will tell on that front.

Not the same engine though, nor the exact same team working on it.

1.3 vs 1.84 is not as big a difference as you think it's going to be. Maybe, just maybe you'll be able to crunch AI numbers slightly better and it's my understanding that the CPU and GPU of the X1 have recently been increased. So your looking at a difference of .30 or 40 teraflop calcs per second. When you factor in the cloud and the ability to be able to offload intensive operations like AI you free of a lot of computing for graphics.Cloud won't make the games look better, but it will free up the computing to allow games to look better. Either way, NFS is going to look amazing on both consoles.

Lol Chilli pls.

Best post in this whole thread.

mrprice33

Neo Member
Not the same engine though, nor the exact same team working on it.

Yeah I'm not sure about that all I know is it ran like ass.

But, I mean, if the game is fun at 30 FPS I don't personally care. I played it at E3 and it was a lot of fun. I'm good with that.

Pain

Banned
PS3 was touted as being significantly more powerful. I remember that launch very well and the compare and contrast videos that followed.
Not even remotely comparable.
Long story short, PS4 has the advantage on nearly every area over the Xbone.

How can you be part of Neogaf and still not at least have a an understanding of the power difference?

Bsigg12

Not even remotely comparable.
Long story short, PS4 has the advantage on nearly every area over the Xbone.

How can you be part of Neogaf and still not at least have a an understanding of the power difference?

Because not every member of Neogaf steps into spec war threads? There is quite a few members that never venture out of OT and for good reason.

Imagine two XB360s duct taped together. Now duct tape them to an XBone.

The PS4 is a little more powerful than that, but that's before you take in to account the XBone not really being able to make full use of its GPU. The gap is actually bigger than the specs might imply.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
The developer themselves said one version would look as good as the pc version.

Polygon said ps4 version looks better than the pc version, that suggests that ps4 could be the lead pkatform for this game
Or it could suggest that they're jobbing the PC port to give the PS4 a push.

Delt31

Let's all agree that this game looks awesome and stop arguing what system its going to look marginally better on.

problem is for next gen, this game doesn't look awesome. that's my point. let's stop letting these res'd next gen ports getting any praise more than what it deserves (which is a HD HD version of the 360 game).

I don't have the ability to but can someone make a topic that says, "what do people think of HD HD versions of current gen games"?

Top Bottom