• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: NFS Rivals "indistinguishable" between PS4/PC, XB1 version not present

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
I tried listing out the co-marketing/content deals above.

So for something like NBA 2K14, with massive billboards up that only mention PlayStation systems, no eyebrows are raised when the PS4 version is the one shown (it may or may not still be the better version regardless). Or for Ubisoft's titles where they show the "PS4" version, or rather button prompts.

But Microsoft and EA have been very public about their unprecedented partnership, co-marketing, exclusive or timed exclusive content and games.

So the absence of the Xbox One SKU of EA's NFS: Rivals is conspicuous.

Agreed.

But on the flip side, if the game looks the same on both X1 and Ps4, why have both consoles? In either situation only having one version makes more sense.

And while yes, the consoles aren't out yet the PS4 obviously has/had more positive reception.

Are you for real. If both versions looks the same they would have them to show parity (as there were with some games to reassure ps3 gamers that ps3 version is not lacking behind 360 version).

I don't see why Xbox One future owners should be concerned. Right from the get go they know they won't be getting the best version between both platforms when it comes to visuals/performance. On the flipside they know that there's no reason for the Xbox One version to not have dedicated servers, so it's not like Xbox One will be the worst version period.

If I were a developer/publisher that's what I'd do. The PS4 being the obviously more powerful console means it will become the default console for press evaluations, just as the 360 was this generation. I don't know what kind of impact that will have on sales, but it could cause a shift back towards Playstation dominance in mindshare.

kinect features propably forces rewiew of both... As touch pad and XBO controllers triggers.

From the stories and threads I've read, it's seems that the PS4 is the platform with the edge. Dan's tweet, to me, is saying that forget about which platform has more power (PS4), but which platform(XB1???) do developers prefer to work with? His post seems to be suggesting something, but he wouldn't come right out and attach the platforms to his qualifiers.

Is Dan (G.?) Xbox dude? One could think power and choise of developement platform is in ps4 side. And that sentence can be seen as even with more power(ps4) more important is easines of developement(ps4).
But ain't MP games done largerly on pc nowdays and then "ported" to consoles.

Bgamer90

Banned
If both versions look identical, then wouldn't EA's special relationship with MS at the moment mean they'd favour showing the Xbox version?

Well EA's special relationship with MS is for EA Sports games and I know that with Madden 25 they've been showing Xbox One footage.

Need for Speed isn't a part of the EA Sports lineup.

Overall, I can understand the concern but to say that the Xbox One version not being present absolutely, automatically, proves that the Xbox One version will look worse is a jump to conclusion.

Well EA's special relationship with MS is for EA Sports games and I know that with Madden 25 they've been showing Xbox One footage.

Overall, I can understand the concern but to say that the Xbox One version not being present absolutely, automatically, proves that the Xbox One version will look worse is a jump to conclusion.

So what do you make of the developer comments about one console version looking better than the other? Pure speculation?

There's this too: http://www.insidegamer.nl/artikel/107669/need-for-speed-rivals-preview

We are so far pretty excited about the options and opportunities in Rivals, but closing it off with a cautionary note. The PlayStation 4 version we played was very smooth and looked generally nice, but lost a lot of color intensity and detail during night races. In addition, there was some stability problems and crashed the game regularly, a problem that no doubt is resolved in the final version. And that's a good thing. We are indeed happy just spectacular in-game crashes on the digital asphalt.

And here might be an explanation to why Polygon thought the PC version was uglier. games.nl claims they were shown two versions: an old (PC?) alpha build which showed the multiplayer and it was uglier and horribly bugged, and a PS4 version which was was supposed to showcase the graphics. http://www.gamer.nl/preview/433939/need-for-speed-rivals-hands-on-boordevol-energie

However games.nl wasn't particularly impressed with the graphics of the PS4 version either. Also they mention, like the insidegamer.nl journalist did, that the game looks ugly when it gets dark.

In an abandoned building somewhere in Munich, we got the chance to progress to deal with two versions of the New Need for Speed: an old alpha build and Playstation 4 version. The first showed the multiplayer and the second the graphics power. We jumped as saying to the Playstation 4 version, where we expected to be with brilliant lighting effects and fine detail. Blown away A somewhat oppressed "is all this?" Followed. Yes, the cars popped from the screen and the setting was impressive, but it left us wanting more. The other version, with bugs, glitches, crashes and outdated graphics, did.

Feeling to know that the Playstation 4 little or nothing to add, apart from a little more detail here and there. We look at the two different versions, then the racing experience exactly the same.

The biggest difference is in the graphics area and some extra pixels for the cars, but that one or the other Porsche Bugatti looks on the Xbox 360 even amazing. What splendor when you cross driving through a cornfield or overlooking some mountains in the distance after the wow effect remains largely off. Distressing, however, that the game is significantly uglier when it gets dark. Especially since the lighting effects than very pale eyes.

I'm sure it's true sony has some moneyhats involved with a few titles. NBA2k14 and Watchdogs/AC4 are ones I can think off the top. But NFS? EA has already shown fifa on xbox one, no?

I tried listing out the co-marketing/content deals above.

So for something like NBA 2K14, with massive billboards up that only mention PlayStation systems, no eyebrows are raised when the PS4 version is the one shown (it may or may not still be the better version regardless). Or for Ubisoft's titles where they show the "PS4" version, or rather button prompts.

But Microsoft and EA have been very public about their unprecedented partnership, co-marketing, exclusive or timed exclusive content and games.

So the absence of the Xbox One SKU of EA's NFS: Rivals is conspicuous.

I momentarily forgot that NFS was EA's baby.

Yeah, it definitely is strange that they aren't demoing it on X1. I guess it must look pretty bad if they are keeping it under-wraps, especially with its release just mere weeks away.

Then again, weren't the majority of NFS titles demoed exclusively on PS3 during this gen? If they were, could be that Sony have a long standing marketing arrangement with EA. I've only really had a passing interest in NFS titles, so perhaps I'm wrong in that they are almost always demoed on PS3 before launch.

szaromir

Banned
I never said they did.

No one buys any console strictly for multiplatform games. But lets be real, people buy multiplatform games. I personally, would be concerned if most of the games I plan on buying are not being shown. Especially a month from launch.

Maybe a topic for another thread, because theres not much discussion from GAF on this.
Maybe those who buy Xbone for gaming in general simply don't care about any potential differences either way? I mean, there are a ton of people on GAF who are going to buy PS4 and play multiplatform games on it despite the existence of an even more powerful platform for games.

Bgamer90

Banned
So what do you make of the developer comments about one console version looking better than the other? Pure speculation?

That's a completely different topic from one console version not being shown at an event.

Again, I'm not saying that the PS4 version won't look better. Don't know why some of you are replying to me as if I am.

StuBurns

Banned
True. But to this extent? I mean the amount of multiplatform games shown on xbox one thus far could be counted on one hand.

And it's not like they are only showing one sku of a game. It seems like xbox one is the only one consistently left out between PC/PS4/Xbox One.
Yeah, because it's probably the worst. Why would they want to advertise that?

It doesn't mean we're in for some train-wreak launch, games could be a lot closer than people imagine, but as long as there is an advantage on PS4, that's the best one to show.

Maybe those who buy Xbone for gaming in general simply don't care about any potential differences either way? I mean, there are a ton of people on GAF who are going to buy PS4 and play multiplatform games on it despite the existence of an even more powerful platform for games.

Yeah, because it's probably the worst. Why would they want to advertise that?

It doesn't mean we're in for some train-wreak launch, game could be a lot closer than people imagine, but as long as there is an advantage on PS4, that's the best one to show.
Ah, logic.. :)

Well EA's special relationship with MS is for EA Sports.
It's not just for EA Sports branded titles, afaik.

Battlefield 4 DLC launches first on the Xbox One. And have you seen Titanfall.

There'll probably be things for Mass Effect 4 and Dragon Age 3 as well.

This isn't like a Nintendo unprecedented partnership.

Iacobellis

How long will this last? XB1 doesn't have an edge over competitors like the 360 did.

I momentarily forgot that NFS was EA's baby.

Yeah, it definitely is strange that they aren't demoing it on X1. I guess it must look pretty bad if they are keeping it under-wraps, especially with its release just mere weeks away.

Then again, weren't the majority of NFS titles demoed exclusively on PS3 during this gen? If they were, could be that Sony have a long standing marketing arrangement with EA. I've only really had a passing interest in NFS titles, so perhaps I'm wrong in that they are almost always demoed on PS3 before launch.

The Criterion developed games, which Rivals pretty much is, we're often shown on PS3, however, they almost always had the 360 build on hand as well. I specifically remember last year at this time, because I was trying to figure out which version to buy, and they demoed the 360 version primarily to the U.S press. All the youtube videos I could find of the event showed the 360 version being played.

Ultimately it didn't really matter because both versions were nearly identical, but they were never shy about showing the 360 build.

That's a completely different topic from one console version not being shown at an event.

Again, I'm not saying that the PS4 version won't look better. Don't know why some of you are replying to me as if I am.

But many of us have been specifically calling out that quote time and time again, and yet you continue to reply over and over that we shouldn't be making assumptions about the XB1 version. Yet we have this quote from the developer which pretty much tells us the XB1 version will be inferior to some extent.

Basically, I have no idea why you're putting up such a firm defense of this topic, and you started almost immediately on the very first page of this thread.

Bgamer90

Banned
But many of us have been specifically calling out that quote time and time again, and yet you continue to reply over and over that we shouldn't be making assumptions about the XB1 version.

I'm saying it based solely on the XB1 version not being shown.

Basically, I have no idea why you're putting up such a firm defense of this topic, and you started almost immediately on the very first page of this thread.

You say that as if the topic was solely about the quote you keep on bringing up.

The discussion started from one console version not being shown. You did read the title of the thread and the OP right?

Bgamer90

Banned

Yes, there are other EA games tied to Xbox but not all of them are. I mean, if I remember correctly, the game that this thread is about isn't tied to any console in terms of marketing, DLC, and/or game modes.

The whole EA Sports next gen launch lineup is though (for the Xbox One).

You say that as if the topic was solely about the quote you keep on bringing up.

The discussion started from one console version not being shown. You did read the title of the thread and the OP right?

You were reminded almost immediately, on the very first page, that this no show for the XB1 version, happened to also coincide with the quote from the developer. So that quote was a part of the discussion from the beginning.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=86563033&postcount=41

frizby

Beyond the console warz stuff that seems to have taken over the thread, NFS Rivals looks like a real sleeper hit to me. With Forza and Driveclub taking all the driving attention, I hadn't been keeping up, but after the DC delay and watching some youtube videos, I'm intrigued.

From what I gather:

• Dev team built out of Criterion and DICE alums (good)
  • Open world looks a little bit like Burnout Paradise (good)
  • Arcade handling (good)
  • Drop in / Drop out multiplayer (good)
  • Objective based rather than simply racing (excellent)
  • Team based "Hot Pursuit" (hell yes)
  • Weather effects (good)
  • Graphics look current gen but with some nice effects (less good)
  • PS4 version probably looks better (good)
I don't know that I'd buy Rivals at full price, but I have a feeling it will end up in my library if there's a B2G1 or something.

Bgamer90

Banned
You were reminded almost immediately, on the very first page, that this no show for the XB1 version, happened to also coincide with the quote from the developer. So that quote was a part of the discussion from the beginning.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=86563033&postcount=41

Heh, that's a bit of a stretch especially since it was relating that comment to a possible reason why the version wasn't shown. Saying that one version could look better isn't an automatic reason for only one console version being shown -- especially considering the fact that multiple console versions of games within the same gen are rarely shown together (unless it's a Wii-like situation).

Biker19

Banned
But many of us have been specifically calling out that quote time and time again, and yet you continue to reply over and over that we shouldn't be making assumptions about the XB1 version. Yet we have this quote from the developer which pretty much tells us the XB1 version will be inferior to some extent.

Bgamer's just in denial & likes to twist things around in his favor to make Xbox One look good. That's all that is.

viveks86

Respawn

Banned
Heh, that's a bit of a stretch especially since it was relating that comment to a possible reason why the version wasn't shown. Saying that one version could look better isn't an automatic reason for only one console version being shown -- especially considering the fact that multiple console versions of games within the same gen are rarely shown together (unless it's a Wii-like situation).

You really are very adamant on what you do I'll give you that.
Im curious also why EA is not showing their games on XB1. If I had a partnership with you and I showed up at a press event with the product I'm also making for your competitor how would you feel? Now imagine what the consumers and press are thinking after that big E3 stage showing. Where the Fuck are the EA games running on X1 hardware?

FranXico

Ah, yes.

I remember when Bethesda were promoting Skyrim. They never for once showed the PS3 version. "The PS3 version looks great too", they re-assured gamers.

We all remember how that turned out.

Having said that, it won't really make a difference to anyone when they play the game on their platform of choice.

Tsundere

Banned

I think at this point it's kind of disingenuous to downplay that Xbox One will receive the worst version of next-gen multiplatform games.

Loudninja

While at New York Comic Con 2013, I had a chance to go hands-on with both the PC and PS4 version of Need for Speed: Rivals. Before getting into the details of what I actually played, I do want to say how gorgeous the PS4 version looked. I don’t have specs for the PC the game was running on in order to make a true comparison, but the PS4 version looked just as good, if not better. No matter what opinions you may have going into the next generation, we should all be able to agree on how pretty it’s going to be.
http://www.egmnow.com/articles/previews/need-for-speed-rivals-hands-on/#

The world has gone wacko. Why would the game look better on PS4 unless they are demoing it on lackluster PCs?

But good to hear that the PS4 version is extremely comparable.

SeanR1221

I couldn't care less what you do but hearing you downlplay everything to justify your decision is painful to my intellect.

Haha you and others obviously do care or it wouldn't be a talking point for you.

Painful to your intellect? I really hope to god some of you don't talk like that in your personal lives.

If install base is close would they go with the more straightforward system?

I'm assuming most of the people who are downplaying the importance of multiplatform games looking and more importantly running relatively worse owned a 360 last gen and did not have to deal with this issue.
No more like delusion that some people cant see things from someone else's point of view for what it is.

I can't imagine a game like this would run that bad on either system. It doesn't seem on the surface to be that taxing. It may just be the x1 drivers and toolset being behind. Ps4 will be the better version, but the difference probably won't be that noticeable at the end of the day (a lower resolution probably, most everything else being equal).

With Drive Club failing to get off the line I wonder if its to late for EA to position this game more as a PS4 thing. Co marketing or something or are they already to deep with this company wide MS partnership.

I think this is the only game they have coming for the next gen systems that doesnt have some xbox exclusive BS. Maybe MS didnt want to toss money at something going against Forza.

Seems like a good last minute opening for a game that seemed like it was sent to die.

Battlefield? Honestly I haven't seen EA within a mile of anything Sony since before E3. I wonder if Sony's stance on DRM has anything to do with that

Skeff

Battlefield? Honestly I haven't seen EA within a mile of anything Sony since before E3. I wonder if Sony's stance on DRM has anything to do with that

EA announced getting rid off online passes so I'm sure they thought Sony were doing DRM or that if they knew soy weren't they were going to try and shift as much custom to the MS DRM machine as possible. I'm curious how many of these EA deals will be renewed next year now the DRM is gone.

I find it kinda weird they would show off a PlayStation 4 version that appeared to be having stability problems and crashed a lot, but still didn't show off the Xbox One version.

They chose to show a PS4 version that simply wasn't running well, but chose not to show the Xbox One version for whatever reasons. Obviously, those reasons weren't stability issues, since the PS4 obviously had that.

Is there some backroom deal between EA, Microsoft and Sony? Sony shows off EA Titles, Microsoft shows off EA Sports titles? I guess that wouldn't make sense because we have seen Battlefield on Xbox One and we have seen Fifa on PS4. Who knows what is going on anymore.

Shrewder

Neo Member
Is Dan (G.?) Xbox dude? One could think power and choise of developement platform is in ps4 side. And that sentence can be seen as even with more power(ps4) more important is easines of developement(ps4).
But ain't MP games done largerly on pc nowdays and then "ported" to consoles.

The person I was referring to is Dan Amrich (@OneofSwords). He is a community manager for Activison.

Top Bottom