• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(Kotaku) Nintendo Fan Unhappy With Nintendo’s $200 Answer to His $400 Wii U Problem

Pociask

When they finally fixed the problem, they did even more than they had to - which makes me wonder if it was either a) Nintendo being generous or b) Nintendo customer service being unable to give away game licenses? What I mean is, they were able to remotely delete his old licenses off his old machine - but they didn't transfer those to the new machine, or give him new licenses to the same old games they almost certainly had a record of (through his Club Nintendo account). Instead, they just gave him point value for all the old games.

Now, is that Nintendo going above and beyond, or Nintendo not being able to do a license transfer, at all? If it's the latter, that has troubling implications for how soon a real account-transfer solution will take to implement.

Edit:

The account systems needs changing but they did hook the dude up.

http://nintendofunclubpodcast.wordpr...service-rules/

Way to misdirect the entire thread by putting in a resolution to a second, unrelated story, dude.

"Just add this to the list of reasons why I love Nintendo and will remain a loyal customer and supporter to the end."

He sounds like someone who married someone who is abusive towards him and sooner and later the abuse seems normal, so when they see something normal it seems like the best thing that has ever happened to them.

Like thanking someome for giving you a ride to the hospital and paying your doctor bills after they were the ones that stabbed you.

Maybe next gen Nintendo will be up to speed with how the Xbox 1 worked.

Eh, you guys are ridiculous.
Microsoft makes a mistake (RROD) -> Whatever
Sony makes a mistake (PSN hacked, YLOD, otherOS issues) -> Whatever
Nintendo makes a mistake -> Gives dude $50 extra dollars on top of crediting him for everything -> LOL ABUSIVE RELATIONSHIP!

The problem is Nintendo's archaic e-commerce system, this is a pervasive issue that effects all current and previous owners of Nintendo hardware.

All the money I spent on buying games on the Wii online store? It has basically been thrown in the wind. I will have to rebuy those games if I want to play them again.

The games I bought on PSN? I may no longer have the hardware, but I know that if I do buy either a Vita or PS3, those purchases will show up on my account. That's how it is supposed to work.

Azure J

Nintendo makes a mistake -> Gives dude $50 extra dollars on top of crediting him for everything -> LOL ABUSIVE RELATIONSHIP!

The problem here is the context. Both of those issues came up and were rectified in the same generation they appeared in. Nintendo has been at it with this one policy from 2006.

In an era where everyone has smartphones and Nintendo has strong competitors with this issue addressed as a goddamned afterthought on their infrastructures, it really paints a portrait of extreme negligence at best, ineptitude at worst.

Tobor

I now have the freedom and means to build the ultimate Virtual Console library on my Wii U.

Lol, I can't believe he would fawn over such a lame solution. He still has to reboot into an emulated OS in order to run his games. He is still tied to the one machine, unlike every other company in the world. He's still going to run into this same problem down the road.

He needs to face reality, "The ultimate Virtual Console library" isn't possible on a Nintendo platform.

It took hours of talking on the phone and a headline on a minor news site to achieve what is done with a simple login and password on every other digital market?

I don't know why Nintendo thinks this system deters resale of digital content. When you sell a Nintendo console, the other dude gets all your digital content! On XBox the items revert to demos and the original owner keeps them.

Then again, I was talking about that guy comments, not the fucked up account system.

Shinjica

So, following your example, if i rob a store i've the right to complain the arrest because other people rob bank?

Xanonano

Indeed, I'm seriously asking what's the problem. For sure, that tied account hardware system is fucked up. But I don't see what's wrong with that guy comment.
Sure, I totally agree, but my comment was about the reaction about that guy comment, saying he was happy. I mean, in the end, he got all his stuff back AND free 50 dollars. so I don't see what's the problem with that guy comment. But I clearly see that the tied account system is just bullshit.

No, he didn't. See how the date on that article is 13 January? And the value of the games was $570 rather than $400? It's not the same guy, it's not the same problem.

Nintendo has the best customer service support, which is why I trust them with downloads on their system more than I trust goddamn Microsoft, who I've had a history with of downloaded titles "disappearing" from my purchase history. I lost Doom, Contra, Super Contra, and Castlevania: Symphony of the Night and more to those dickwads because they "disappeared" from my history.

Lol, I can't believe he would fawn over such a lame solution. He still has to reboot into an emulated OS in order to run his games. He is still tied to the one machine, unlike every other company in the world. He's still going to run into this same problem down the road.

Wait.... What? Is that how the Wii U handles the VC? You have to boot into a Wii OS?

Are you serious? I think you're being serious.

Sony makes a mistake, the CEO bows in front of the press. There is a massive thread dedicated to how much Sony fucked up: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=428229
Microsoft makes a mistake, it cost them $1 billion in bills, repairs and fines. There is a massive thread dedicated to how much Microsoft fucked up: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=148060
Nintendo makes a mistake? They just did. This is the thread.

Hell, I personally have threads about Sony and Microsoft fucking up and fought these charades till the end.

As we all know Nintendo needs to change this ASAP. It appears they have the ability to change it and just haven't, which is absurd. Fix this!

magawolaz

The problem with the $200 offer from Nintendo wasn't just that it was half of what Jon had spent. It's that the Wii U online shop is a different digital store than the Wii online shop. They use different online wallets. Both can be accessed via a Wii, but only one—the Wii shop—sells the games Jon had already paid for and wanted to have access to again. That $200 of Wii U shop credit couldn't buy any of the $400 worth of games he'd bought.
WiiU they mean?

Also, why is the Wii U online shop a different digital store than the Wii online shop?

Nintendo has the best customer service support, which is why I trust them with downloads on their system more than I trust goddamn Microsoft, who I've had a history with of downloaded titles "disappearing" from my purchase history. I lost Doom, Contra, Super Contra, and Castlevania: Symphony of the Night and more to those dickwads because they "disappeared" from my history.

Customer service should be more about the actual service that you offer customers, and not damage control that is obviously inspired by PR reasons.

I lost over $400 worth of vc and wii ware, too. Nintendo refuses to help me at all.
I only see download stuff as disposable now, and buy much less because of it.
Tried off and on for years and Nintendo flat out says no. Anyone from kotaku want to help me? Heh

Glad Nintendo made good with him in this.

They really should since they have such a ridiculously arcane system for digital purchases.

Shit like this is the reason I refuse to buy Fire Emblem via the eShop even though I have $15 in credit on there (left over froma previous game) and can't find it at any local retailers.

Are you serious? I think you're being serious.

Sony makes a mistake, the CEO bows in front of the press. There is a massive thread dedicated to how much Sony fucked up: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=428229

Microsoft makes a mistake, it cost them $1 billion in bills, repairs and fines. There is a massive thread dedicated to how much Microsoft fucked up: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=148060

Nintendo makes a mistake? They just did. This is the thread.

Nintendo fans with the confirmation bias as usual.

Props to you mate for showing that GAF delivers the hate fairly when any gaming company fucks up. Period. We do not discriminate; any company that messes up is a thread waiting to happen on GAF.

Wow..... That's absolutely horrid.

No, it's not. It does it to block off all attempts at hacking using unpatchable methods such as the Smash Bros. hack and such. It completely blocks off the Wii portion from the Wii U, which completely protects the Wii U from being easily exploited using the Wii methods.

There's no reason to call it "absolutely horrid." It lets you play every Wii game while preventing Wii U from becoming a gigantic, hacked mess.

I lost over $400 worth of vc and wii ware, too. Nintendo refuses to help me at all.
Tried off and on for years and Nintendo flat out says no. Anyone from kotaku want to help me? Heh

You have been burned, I'm sorry. It isn't all as bad as that! Get a Steam account.

No, it's not. It does it to block off all attempts at hacking using unpatchable methods such as the Smash Bros. hack and such. It completely blocks off the Wii portion from the Wii U, which completely protects the Wii U from being easily exploited using the Wii methods.

There's no reason to call it "absolutely horrid." It lets you play every Wii game while preventing Wii U from becoming a gigantic, hacked mess.

Why do you people keep defending them on this? I will never know. Just because I like Apple products doesn't mean that I will lobby for any and all business decisions made by Apple or Tim Cook. Get over it.

Why don't you read 'Like the hat?''s post, there are thousands of gamers in his situation. What's your comment? Still a good thing?

farnham

Banned
Guy should go to court or something. Kotaku acting like the judge isnt going to transfer 400 dollars to his wii shop channel account. With a court decision he will be able to force nintendo.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Guy should go to court or something. Kotaku acting like the judge isnt going to transfer 400 dollars to his wii shop channel account. With a court decision he will be able to force nintendo.

Did you read one post down?

If Nintendo really believed they needed practice and needed to improve on their weaknesses then this kind of stuff would have never slipped by. It's like that one guy you know who refuses to upgrade from Windows XP because it 'works for him'.

It's a shame because Nintendo can make good consoles when they want to but every OS that has involved modern internet connectivity has been what could only be described as an amateur attempt on their part.

MarkusRJR

For Wii VC games, yes.
It has a Wii OS underneath the Wii U OS

In other words the OS is lazzzzy
Yeah the OS is really lazy. It doesn't go in the overscan safe areas for the UI so it can't be used on TV's older than 5 years old, no DD account system, slow loading times to do anything, and Wii mode doesn't even fill the whole screen (despite being scaled by the Wii U).

Also because Wii mode upscales to HD, when you play Wii VC games you either can't play them in 4:3 or have copious amounts of lag depending on the TV and if it can scale HD 16:9 to 4:3 (the Wii U doesn't automatically scale it to 4:3). Wii U's Wii Shop Channel doesn't have the ability to give you coins on Club Nintendo either and doesn't give you any warning to this omision. I bought a ton of games off the Wii Shop Channel when I got my Wii U and got nothing from it. What a great surprise that was.

I love Nintendo games but I can't handle their lackluster system software/practices. I'm absolutely horrified of the moment I get my 3DS stolen or lost and lose the hundreds of dollars I spent on games. The Wii U was Nintendo's chance to fix a lot of their bad practices and it feels rushed/halfassed to me.

You have been burned, I'm sorry. It isn't all as bad as that! Get a Steam account.

Why do you people keep defending them on this? I will never know. Just because I like Apple products doesn't mean that I will lobby for any and all business decisions made by Apple or Tim Cook. Get over it.

Why don't you read 'Like the hat?''s post, there are thousands of gamers in his situation. What's your comment? Still a good thing?

What? I never said I'd lobby for any and all business decisions made by Nintendo. Just because I agree with their method of Wii backwards compatibility, I'm all of a sudden some brainwashed loon?

Props on Nintendo for crediting him, but it's best if this whole thing be avoided in the first place. Having those ID's hardware locked is some stupid ass shit.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Well, everything's been said that I wanted to say but I will say that I just received my replacement pink 3DS (it's the wife's so don't laugh!) and the e-shop needs a lot of work. If the WiiU shop is anything like the 3DS then I am afraid to ever even bother to add funds to my account.

Pociask

Seriously you should write the journalist who wrote the story in OP. Kotaku likes hits, follow-up stories generate hits, companies don't like bad PR, maybe it'd get fixed. Strike while the iron is hot!

Did you read one post down?

That post needs to be edited out - it's an unrelated story. OP's story has not been fixed (as far as I know from this thread).

It's almost as dumb as emulating an emulator *cough*Vita*cough*

Sorry, what? Nintendo's method of totally shutting down the hardware and rebooting as the emulated hardware is infinitely worse than the method Sony uses for the Vita. With the Wii U and 3DS you have to forsake the extra functionality in your new devices, whereas with the Vita, you can suspend, multitask and use background processes just as you can with native games.

netBuff

its funny how kotaku ran that story and the OP posted it and not 3 minutes later, the 1st post kills the story.

The two posts are completely unrelated - just look at the dates.

And even if they were related: Getting a company to act nice after a huge negative media blow-out isn't all that spectacular. Their policies should be accommodating and hassle-free to regular users, not acceptable in their end result to the few people able to generate headlines.

Top Bottom