• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Pokémon Go Could Be A Death Sentence For A Black Man

Escargo

It's becoming clear the safest way to interact with a cop is to literally treat it like a turn-based strategy game:

COP: "Show me your license and registration."

ME: "OK. I will show you my license and registration. To get my license and registration, I need to reach over into my glove compartment. Is it OK to reach over into my glove compartment?"

COP: "Yes, get it."

ME: "OK, I am reaching over to the glove compartment to get the license and registration."

And then move very slowly. It's unfortunate anyone has to act this way, but it's what I'd recommend to anyone these days. Do one thing at a time, clearly ask for directions and clearly convey you're following directions, and then slowly go about them. Rinse, repeat.

Of course, people have done this and still been shot to death. But I guess it gives you the best odds...

And then the cop still shoots you because they think you're getting your gun even after your conversation. Sometimes you just can't win.

Neiteio

I don't own a car yet, but I'm thinking of buying a necklace to hold my license whenever I drive.
If you're pulled over, you'll also need to show your registration.

I keep mine in the glove compartment, so I have to reach over to the passenger seat. Maybe it's smarter to somehow keep it on the driver side, although I'm not sure where you'd store it.

One time a cop pulled me over. He said it was for pulling into a left-turn lane too early (rather than waiting for the intersection before moving over), but I think the real reason he pulled me over is because he thought I was giving him the finger. I had to explain to him it was just the way I was holding my cell phone, haha.

In retrospect, that could've been turned ugly if I looked different...

Ploid 3.0

It's becoming clear the safest way to interact with a cop is to literally treat it like a turn-based strategy game:

COP: "Show me your license and registration."

ME: "OK. I will show you my license and registration. To get my license and registration, I need to reach over into my glove compartment. Is it OK to reach over into my glove compartment?"

COP: "Yes, get it."

ME: "OK, I am reaching over to the glove compartment to get the license and registration."

And then move very slowly. It's unfortunate anyone has to act this way, but it's what I'd recommend to anyone these days. Do one thing at a time, clearly ask for directions and clearly convey you're following directions, and then slowly go about them. Rinse, repeat.

Of course, people have done this and still been shot to death. But I guess it gives you the best odds...

I will use this, thanks for possibly saving lives. Seriously

Neiteio

I will use this, thanks for possibly saving lives. Seriously
One other thing to add, and I've heard this from two police chiefs:

Keep your hands on top of the wheel. And don't move them until you're told to move them.

Might seem like common sense, but easy to forget when you're flustered being pulled over.

Ploid 3.0

I'm an American who hates guns, so I always feel some measure of validation when I hear how peaceful other countries are without them

There's another exercise in empathy: When every American can have a high-powered weapon, would you want to be a police officer? There's a reason my friends on the force carry shotguns and assault rifles in their trunk.

Escalation, they call it.

No, I don't blame them for being very careful on this front. Just don't be easily startled, and don't have a itchy trigger finger. If you screw up don't try to get out of it and allow your buddies in the justice system to cover for you.

Keep your hands on top of the wheel. And don't move them until you're told to move them.

Might seem like common sense, but easy to forget when you're flustered being pulled over.

You better belive I know to glue my hands there until told to raise them very slowly.

This is what I was taught as mentioned in my previous post. Keep your hand where they can be easily seen and remain still until instructed by the officer. It's easy to forget in the frustration of being pulled over but it's something to remind yourself to do.

Definitely something to take into consideration.

And not to derail, but it's not all doom and gloom!

Cm3Rv_hW8AA8LnW.jpg:orig

That's a cool story. One in the op, not so much

Thread itself has a lot of insight though. Damn good thread so i guess kotaku did something right.

Let me just get one thing straight, when you're told to pull over in the US the cop usually points his gun at you?
Not necessarily, but if you make any movements that aren't expected they'll pull the gun faster than you can say don't shoot. The more jittery ones will fire right away.

TheFatMan

This was an interesting article and one that points out the social and racial problems in America.

That said, I think the image on the article with the caption "Pokemon Go forces me to put my life on the line if I play it as intended" is just some click bait bullshit. It makes it sound like it's the apps fault.

It should read.

"Ignorance and stupidity forces me to put my life on the line to play Pokemon Go".

Just saying.

Walpurgis

Banned
Wow, I thought that the title was a stretch and that this was going to be a "loltaku" bashing thread before reading the OP (not familiar with the game in question 😅). But this is a legitimate concern if the game really has people walking around the real world looking for Pokemon. While I don't live in the U.S., I am familiar with the feeling of my presence making a lone woman feel uncomfortable along a dark sidewalk. I'm sure most guys have felt that at one point or another. It's a horrible feeling and it would be even worse to experience that when I just want to play a game. But the risk of getting shot at? That turns what was already a horrible feeling into straight up paranoia. I simply wouldn't be able to focus on the game. 😞

Teknoman

It is kinda food for thought. Granted I havent had any bad experiences with cops so far, aside from one dude flipping out on the freeway...but thats another story.

Hopefully it doesnt come to that...but i'll definitely be careful.

ReiGun

This is why when I played today, I turned the AR off. Pokemon pops up, I click it, and I try to catch it while still walking as opposed to pausing and waving my phone around.

Sure it takes some of the fun out of it, and the static background looks like shit, but eh. I don't want to live my life in fear and have things I want to do taken away from me because I'm black, but I'm no fool.

This has been my train of the thought the entire time while playing. It’s kinda what got me of Ingress (didn’t want to scare folks, or worse o_o).

At least there’s not much to catch when I visit the suburbs, but the few times I’ve been there visiting friends, I’ve been cautious of how “suspicious” others see me as.
And it’s not in my head. There’s signs all over the neighborhood about reporting “suspicious characters” and that a neighborhood watch is there, never mind the people staring at you like you don’t belong.

If you're pulled over, you'll also need to show your registration.

I keep mine in the glove compartment, so I have to reach over to the passenger seat. Maybe it's smarter to somehow keep it on the driver side, although I'm not sure where you'd store it.

One time a cop pulled me over. He said it was for pulling into a left-turn lane too early (rather than waiting for the intersection before moving over), but I think the real reason he pulled me over is because he thought I was giving him the finger. I had to explain to him it was just the way I was holding my cell phone, haha.

In retrospect, that could've been turned ugly if I looked different...

Friends of mine always have told me about getting a Concealed Carry License. This exact exchange of dialogue is the biggest reason I never would.
The last things I want to tell an officer who just pulled me over are that I’m armed and that I can prove it’s legal if I just reach for a license.

jnWake

Man it's a shame that US has these crazy cop issues. Where I live cops shooting civilians is really really rare and you'd never even think of acting so carefully when they stop you.

Of course, my country doesn't get Pokemon GO either.

It's undeniably an issue for minorities, namely black men, with interacting with cops right now, but the article does have a little too much of a paranoia flair to it I think. Wandering around taking pictures might also catch a cop's attention. Hanging out with a group in the dead of night too. Feels like a frankenstein of two hot topics with a title designed to scare people into clicking it even though they're only kind of related. Be careful out there though regardless.

It's undeniably an issue for minorities, namely black men, with interacting with cops right now, but the article does have a little too much of a paranoia flair to it I think. Wandering around taking pictures might also catch a cop's attention. Hanging out with a group in the dead of night too. Feels like a frankenstein of two hot topics with a title designed to scare people into clicking it even though they're only kind of related. Be careful out there though regardless.

You sound like a white person who's never had to deal with even 1% of what a minority has to go through on a daily basis.

I was able to do the exact same thing in the dead of night a few days ago and a cop drove me and didn't even glance in my direction. I didn't even think about it because I'm white as fuck.

Ploid 3.0

This was an interesting article and one that points out the social and racial problems in America.

That said, I think the image on the article with the caption "Pokemon Go forces me to put my life on the line if I play it as intended" is just some click bait bullshit. It makes it sound like it's the apps fault.

It should read.

"Ignorance and stupidity forces me to put my life on the line to play Pokemon Go".

Just saying.

A pokemon is on the train tracks, but this train is coming. Hmm

"Train kicked me in the head while catching Pokemon" Youtube.com
162,859,731 Views!

You sound like a white person who's never had to deal with even 1% of what a minority has to go through on a daily basis.

I was able to do the exact same thing in the dead of night a few days ago and a cop drove me and didn't even glance in my direction. I didn't even think about it because I'm white as fuck.

Uh, I do think about it because it's obvious to me that other people unfortunately have to. Don't really understand where the ire's coming from.

Edit: let me clarify. The things I listed like taking pictures and hanging out in the dead of night are also things that are more likely to attract the attention of cops to black people than white. I wasn't disputing that and how it's crazy.

Acerac

Banned
Scarier thought is pedophiles using this to locate kids

I can see it now, a pedo drops a pokelure, hoping to ensnare a bunch of kids, within minutes dozens of 20 somethings start crowding around him.

He leaves, annoyed and confused.

FAUCK

sad but true. Almost got the cops called on me for walking around with my phone out

Yo I was walking with a crew of a dozen people I randomly met up with at 2 in the morning playing pokemon and I was giving them tips on where the creepy old men who seemed like they might call the cops lived.

Codeblue

Given that I've run into more cops tonight than I have in my entire adult life combined, I can totally see this being a problem. Luckily all of the cops just told us to have fun and be careful, one even carded us and told us to stop loitering right before telling us where to catch a Meowth. If the wrong cop rolls up on a group of kids sitting on a Lure at 3:00 AM, I can see how things would go south.

Fuchsdh

And I haven't even downloaded the game because I know running around my neighborhood at night with your phone out is asking for it to get stolen. Being white isn't going to help me there, and the chances are anyone of any color is going to be more likely to be mugged than shot by a cop.

I understand being afraid of this, but this being your biggest concern with Go over getting your stuff stolen or being mugged is like being afraid of sharks over bee stings.

I think this article is probably correct, although I think the core problem goes beyond racial disparity.

Honestly, I see all kinds of problems with Pokemon Go. Not with the game itself, but with people doing stupid stuff while playing and getting themselves or others hurt or killed.

I've already heard some people are playing it while driving.

I won't be surprised if we see Pokemon Go permanently retired someday soon by Nintendo. They may be covered legally, but people and/or kids getting hurt or killed because they were staring at their device in public because the game requires that to be played is not good for Nintendo's brand.

I'd wager you're wrong, but it's hard to say with these kinds of new app experiences/AR and VR. I mean people are dumb and getting killed while texting while driving, or running around with their phone out in dodgy neighborhoods without Pokemon Go... so does that really change anything? Perhaps the optics will be against Nintendo, but I don't think it will illuminate any new problem that isn't already present.

Maybe this is why TPC limits just how dark their trainers' skin can go. It's bizarre that my wife who is fairly light skinned has to choose the darkest tone to match her skin.

Demoskinos

"Can I see identification sir?

"Yes officer, right here in my wal-"

"HE HAS A GUN! GUN! GUN!"

And about 50 shots later, well, let's see how your health is for following their instructions.

Not that this makes anything in the OP less true (racism is alive and well) but before you do anything with a cop its always advisable to explain what you are doing before you take action and then slowly reach for said wallet ect... Any fast hand movements are a real bad idea when dealing with cops.

I read an article written by a police officer that the best thing to do when you are pulled over (for all people) is to turn your engine off, have your license and registration in tour hands and to have your hands at 10 and 2 on the steering wheel. Also have your radio turned off.

And I haven't even downloaded the game because I know running around my neighborhood at night with your phone out is asking for it to get stolen. Being white isn't going to help me there, and the chances are anyone of any color is going to be more likely to be mugged than shot by a cop.

I understand being afraid of this, but this being your biggest concern with Go over getting your stuff stolen or being mugged is like being afraid of sharks over bee stings.

But I didn't say this...? Like, at all.

Not that this makes anything in the OP less true (racism is alive and well) but before you do anything with a cop its always advisable to explain what you are doing before you take action and then slowly reach for said wallet ect... Any fast hand movements are a real bad idea when dealing with cops.

The fact that you have to do this is the problem.

Holy shit this thread! You do know you guys are just as guilty by reinforcing these stereotypes right? "Yep sounds right" even as a sarcastic quip is nearly as affirming as just outright agreeing with these things.

Instead of going "Oh man, Pokemon go is going to get some black kid shot!" take this opportunity, go out, make some friends of all races, religions, creeds that are out there enjoying the game. Use this as a fucking chance to DISPROVE these kinds of bull smalarky... get out, make some friends, and catch some fucking pokemon together as a single people that enjoy Japanese monster collecting games.

Holy shit this thread! You do know you guys are just as guilty by reinforcing these stereotypes right? "Yep sounds right" even as a sarcastic quip is nearly as affirming as just outright agreeing with these things.

Instead of going "Oh man, Pokemon go is going to get some black kid shot!" take this opportunity, go out, make some friends of all races, religions, creeds that are out there enjoying the game. Use this as a fucking chance to DISPROVE these kinds of bull smalarky... get out, make some friends, and catch some fucking pokemon together as a single people that enjoy Japanese monster collecting games.

Just as guilty, what? It's about odds. You can't disprove odds. Either you're up or you're not. The things that would register as a bad idea to a black person are numerous and frightening. It's a matter of self preservation though. It's only a matter of time before being a Pokémon master while black is added to the board. As silly as it sounds, ignore the game and consider what playing it entails. People walking around playing this shit in the dead of night is literally blowing my mind.

Slayven

Why is the onus on the victims and not the oppressors?

Black people didn't create institutionalized racism.

Despite that this was posted on Kotaku, I find myself really agreeing with what's been said in this article. This seems like a headline waiting to happen. Wth is going on in the world where any person has to be afraid to play a game?...because the police might kill them.

Oh yeah, I posted this story in BCT yesterday, but it was the blogger's web I quoted. I haven't played the game myself, but yeah it's something to be weary of.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

I remember reading that if you're pulled over, it's a good idea to stick your hands out the window and wait for instructions, so they can clearly see where your hands are when they approach the vehicle.

Anyway, I think this is definitely something that all need to be mindful of when playing Pokémon Go. It extends even beyond the scope of the article. Don't drop common sense just because there's a shiny new app, and always err on the side of caution.

Acerac

Banned

You seem confused about how people getting shot by cops works.

They make it really tricky to become buddies.

Why is the onus on the victims and not the oppressors?

Black people didn't create institutionalized racism.

The onus is on EVERYONE to change. Pointing fingers is why we have innocent police officers getting shot just as much as innocent black teenagers being shot.

If you're ANYONE and you're response is "yep, this happens. I sure hope this stops happening" you are making the situation worse simply by inaction. You are feeding the machine by perpetuating the stereotype and by taking no action to improve it.

So once again I say, use pokemon GO as an opportunity. Get out, meet people, have fun. If you don't, then you're only making the stereotype worse. You're only making it harder for people because you're feeding into the "if he's out by himself he must be up to no good".

You seem confused about how people getting shot by cops works.

They make it really tricky to become buddies.

If you simply ignore the problem, you don't make it better. You don't improve anyone's situation by simply going "I can't go out, I'll look like I'm causing trouble even though I'm not." Think of all of the strongest leaders of the civil rights movement in the 60's... Simply ask "How would they have handled the situation?" They were peaceful, but they were forceful. They acted.

The onus is on EVERYONE to change. Pointing fingers is why we have innocent police officers getting shot just as much as innocent black teenagers being shot.

If you're ANYONE and you're response is "yep, this happens. I sure hope this stops happening" you are making the situation worse simply by inaction. You are feeding the machine by perpetuating the stereotype and by taking no action to improve it.

So once again I say, use pokemon GO as an opportunity. Get out, meet people, have fun. If you don't, then you're only making the stereotype worse. You're only making it harder for people because you're feeding into the "if he's out by himself he must be up to no good".

White Privilege: The Post

I have a sinking suspicion that you're the same kinda guy that responds with All Lives Matter to Black Lives Matter. Black people are trying their hardest every day to change their environment for the better. We do not need other people singing fairytales that everything will be ok if you believe hard enough.

anothertech

There's actually a crazy connection to cops pulling people over just for WALKING in the parkour community.

I own a parkour gym, and a lot of my trainers and I get pulled over just because we walk to work from home, about 5 miles or so for most of us.

There could be a number of reasons, the way we dress (baggy sweats usually), our age being 18-35, or maybe the fact most of us barefoot train, so we don't wear shoes a lot.

But we've each been pulled over multiple times just for walking. Usually just to ask where we're going and why. and most of us are white. I'm a dark skinned Asian mix, but I've probably been stopped the least tbh.

Of course, we are used to this, as many a training training night has ended with someone calling cops on us for climbing and jumping around on some old buildings.

Every one of us plays Go now though lol.

If you simply ignore the problem, you don't make it better. You don't improve anyone's situation by simply going "I can't go out, I'll look like I'm causing trouble even though I'm not." Think of all of the strongest leaders of the civil rights movement in the 60's... Simply ask "How would they have handled the situation?" They were peaceful, but they were forceful. They acted.

Not a good analogy. Civil rights leaders put themselves in the line of fire. The were attacked beaten and killed, and the media documented alot of it. Telling people to put their lives on the line for playing pokemon go doesn't seem like it would help. These movements are organized and have camera's now to document what is going on. What we have been seeing for quite some time now, if some cops can get away with it they will lie. Even with body cams, mics and dash cams we get unexplained malfunctions while cameras from civilians or nearby business/traffic cams have been showing us what really goes on.

So there is no ignoring going on. Just people who want to chose whether or not they want to put their lives at risk over something that is seemingly likely to get a suspicious call on them, visited by a jumpy cop or two and possibly ending in a sad story.

Acerac

Banned
Very reasonable statement, apologies for the unneeded snark.

You're right, the only way to show that we're not here to cause trouble is to be out there, not causing trouble. Granted, I'm white, so it's far easier for me to say that.

J-Skee

As a black man, I've already gotten weird looks playing this game. The last thing I want is to be shot at for "suspiciously" waving my phone around. Just to make sure, I play with the volume all the way up so that people can hear the music, but I doubt that would help.

Top Bottom