• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku Rumor: The Xbox 3's Code Name Is "Durango" [Crytek: Durango Meeting In London]

Status
Not open for further replies.

elcranky

Banned
None of these games (RE6, Halo 4, Black Ops 2, Borderlands 2, Assassin's Creed 3, GTA 5, etc) are going to run better online, and no one is going to buy new expensive hardware to play games that play just fine on their current box. It's like people have learned nothing from the 3DS launch. You don't sell pricy hardware with BC, you need compelling new experiences. Why would someone buy a new console when they can buy a 360 for less than $149 this fall? Or a PS3 for that matter? Why would a 360 owner spend money to upgrade when that money could be spent on more of the games that will play exactly the same? The answer has to be better than "lol here's some 360 games with some extra AA."

In reference to the Xbox platform, your market segmentation argument makes no sense. The 360 had no competition from the Xbox when it launched.

It is hard to have a discussion when folks don't understand concepts. Basically, nothing you wrote has any relevance to my posts. Also, look up MS statements on forward compatability. Then pick up a competitive strategy book and a marketing strategy book. Then realize how misinformed your comments are. A tremendous early adopter market exists for all of those games that you mentioned played at 1080 P with enhanced image quality on a $399/$499 console. Online isn't relevant, and even if it was there are multiple ways of handling any issues.

NDA or not you can punish without firing.

I agree it's shitty, but as Meisadragon has said, an example needs to be set and Crytek probably doesn't want to jeopardise any contracts with MS (I'm assuming) they have.

If true, best of luck to him in any case.

statham

I've been in some meeting where any slip of the tongue of the conversation you had can get you fired, nothing this big tho. It sucks but he was probably made an example of. so others shhh until E3

Odrion

Banned
I've been in some meeting where any slip of the tongue of the conversation you had can get you fired, nothing this big tho. It sucks but he was probably made an example of. so others shhh until E3

Industry insider confirms Xbox Durango to be announced this E3.

Sean

Banned
That would be an incredibly stupid reason to fire someone.

It's unfortunate, but they need to make an example of this dude and show that leaks are not tolerated.

Crytek knows it's necessary to have a close relationship with Microsoft. It'd be awfully hard to develop and license their next-gen engine without actually having dev kits for example.

statham

he was probably the life of the party, but he also bragged about swag, everyone knows that a hush-hush thing. -->looks at movie award shows

KageMaru

imo, it's a good idea to never tweet/facebook anything relating to your job.

Yup, I don't post a thing about my job, not even anything vague like code names and such.

Hell, half the time it's not even safe to post things about your personal life since companies are now looking at these sites to judge you as a person.

Word on the rumour mill is that this guy was let go from Crytek... :(

=/

Its too bad, cause he likely didn't know about the Kotaku leak, and thought he was just saying something that led to nothing. It was a slip up, but to loose your job over something that wasn't very revealing apart from it tying to another leak kinda stinks.

scitek

not sure why this is relevant. It's not like Crytek is a good developer. Good engine but their games suck

crytype07jq4.gif

StevieP

Banned
Breaking an NDA as strict as Microsoft's NDA for Durango is serious business.
The thing is, it was traced back to him directly since it was *his* twitter account.
The other leaks you see are from "anonymous sources" written by journalists. There's a reason for that.

I agree its harsh, but things like this are par for the course nowadays. NDAs are draconian for a reason.

elcranky

Banned
There should of course be a consequence but losing one's job shouldn't be one.

In theory, that tweet could have cost MS tens to hundreds of millions of dollars by providing competitive intelligence to competitors, e.g. confirming that code name Durango is the correct one. Of course, it is 99% likely to have zero consequence to MS, but the threat is real.

Breaking an NDA as strict as Microsoft's NDA for Durango is serious business.
The thing is, it was traced back to him directly since it was *his* twitter account.
The other leaks you see are from "anonymous sources" written by journalists. There's a reason for that.

I agree its harsh, but things like this are par for the course nowadays. NDAs are draconian for a reason.

Or from a secret source :p.

Sean

Banned

He's just one employee out of 600+ that work at Crytek - firing him is easier and cheaper than going through legal action or getting blackballed by Microsoft or whatever. Losing access to early 720 dev kits would be devastating for an engine company.

I do feel sorry for the guy, but the whole point of NDA's is to ensure this kind of stuff never happens. If you leak something either on purpose or by accident, there are going to be repercussions.

StevieP

Banned
It really sucks but in any industry breaking nda is reason for termination. Its a fact of life.

It's so superfluous, too. Not like you can gleam much from a codename.
Hence why people are shaking their heads at the rumour. I am too.

But, this. Even if it's just a name it was still under NDA.
Hope he lands on his feet elsewhere.

Truespeed

I agree with you on some level considering the information he tweeted was so generic and basically worthless. But, he knowingly signed an NDA in which being fired was a condition if it was broken. I would have sent him to NDA rehabilitation program.

What then, a slap on the fingers? Rumors are one thing, but actual leaks can be very costly, in theory. Maybe not this one, but you can't be selective with NDAs if you want people to take them seriously. It's very unfortunate that this had to happen, but it was to be expected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom