• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: "The 17 Moments that defined the Fast and the Furious"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zen Aku

http://kotaku.com/the-17-moments-that-defined-the-fast-and-the-furious-1794341835

The eighth of the Fast & Furious movies is upon us. This is an exciting, nerve-wracking time.

If you’re only just tuning into the Fast & Furious franchise today, you might think that the series is—and always has been—a raucous series of action-movie epics, each new one trying to out-class its predecessors with bigger explosions and crazier stunts. It wasn’t always this way.

Fast & Furious began in 2001 with the original movie, The Fast and the Furious, which was inspired by an article in Vibe about undergound street racing. It was one of a handful of late-nineties and early-2000’s action movies centered on cars. There was also Collateral, Gone in 60 Seconds, and Transporter. It’s amazing and at times difficult to explain how Fast & Furious survived for 16 years and became one of the most popular and lucrative action series ever. It’s also remarkable that it did so with (mostly) the same core cast members and characters.

To make it as long as it has, the Fast & Furious series, much like its own stars, has had to perform a number of quick, dramatic shifts and seemingly impossible turnarounds. So how did we get from underground street racing in Downtown L.A. to tanks, drones, and nuclear submarines? Let’s take a look back at the series’ defining moments.

SPOILER ALERT (including Fate of the Furious)

List (read article for in-depth)
1. Brian and Dom's first race
2. Brian and Mia's first date
3. The first Family dinner
4. When Dom tried, and failed, to save Vince
5. When Brian and Dom's say goodbye
6. Suddenly we're in Miami. And here's Ludicris!
7. Brian and Roman's rekindled bromance
8. When Tokyo Drift... Happened
9. Getting the Gang back together
10. When the Rock and a different Ludacris showed up
11. "This is not what we do."
12. When Dom proved his love for Letty by jumping out of a car and over a bridge
13. Furious 7 soldiers on without Paul Walker
14. Brian rides off into the sunset
15. It's family versus family versus... family?
16. Now it's car versus submarine
17. The third Family dinner

It's an interesting read and definitely send me back down memory lane.

What a bad list. I was expecting more specifics like when someone said "why don't I ever see you drift" and "we hungry" and Han always eating chips.

Zen Aku

What a bad list. I was expecting more specifics like when someone said "why don't I ever see you drift" and "we hungry" and Han always eating chips.
If you actually read the article, it explains pretty well why the author chose those moments and how it defined the franchise, and not some shitty throwaway thing like Han like to snack on stuff.

styl3s

I actually said the same thing when I watched it last night. How did he go from mechanic to tech genius/hacker.
He also made it seem like he never owned and operated a garage in 5 and at the end he talked about wanting to open and operate a garage despite 5 taking place after 2.

They are basically different characters.

He also made it seem like he never owned and operated a garage in 5 and at the end he talked about wanting to open and operate a garage despite 5 taking place after 2.

They are basically different characters.
Did he own a garage in 2? It made it seem like he was just a hired mechanic that rented out garages.

styl3s

Did he own a garage in 2? It made it seem like he was just a hired mechanic that rented out garages.
Yeah it was called "Tej's Garage".

Makes the whole F5 interaction weird because Roman even remarks to it "your dream is to have a day job?" despite him going to Tej's garage and Tej owning a garage. From what i remember Ja Rule was supposed to reprise his role in 2 and didn't and i am starting to think that instead of re-writing that part completely they just changed the character name and re-cast Ja with Luda.

Tej was training up after the events of 2F2F.

Seriously though, Jesse was the one who should have naturally become the current Tej archetype but, well...

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
Number 1:
2094734863-3-6.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom