• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: The Legend of Zelda Games, Ranked From Worst To Best

Kthulhu

We are just a few weeks away from The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, which means it is now time to rank all the Zelda games.

Before we start, some quick notes:

I’m skipping the CD-I games, because come on.

I’m also skipping Four Swords Adventures, because I haven’t played it.

These rankings are entirely based on my opinions, and do not reflect the opinions of Kotaku’s entire staff. (Stephen disagrees vehemently with this list.)

These rankings DO take aging into account. The two NES games have not aged well.

I had a VERY hard time sorting out the top two.

Onwards.

List in ascending order:

15) Tri Force Heroes
14) Zelda 2: Adventure of Link
13) The Legend of Zelda
12) Phantom Hourglass
11) Spirit Tracks
10) Skyward Sword
9) Twilight Princess
8) The Minish Cap
7) Ocarina of Time
6) Link Between Worlds
5) Wind Waker
4) Majora’s Mask
3) Oracle of Ages/Seasons
2) Link’s Awakening
1) Link to the Past

Source: http://kotaku.com/the-legend-of-zelda-games-ranked-from-worst-to-best-1792136643

Anth0ny

These rankings DO take aging into account. The two NES games have not aged well.

oh christ give me a break

both of them, CERTAINLY Zelda 2, shit on the DS Zeldas at the very least.

The world would be so much better if we didn't rank everything into lists making certain games seem much worse than they should be.

Magikoopa24

Neo Member
I'd say Minish Cap got robbed, but it did better than two of the latest zeldas so I guess I can live with that.

(LTTP is overrated as hell, I don't care what some people say)

eh. personally i'd have ranked Link to the Past a lot lower based on aging, and I tend to lean toward the 3-D games in general.

nice to see Majora's Mask and Wind Waker as the best 3-D games though, and Link's Awakening is my personal favorite 2-D entry.

SegaShack

Windwaker better than OOT and the NES Zelda's ffs. Windwaker was a huge disapointment to everything that came before it.

EDarkness

I never really liked Wind Waker or Majora's Mask. Funny how time has changed people's stance on Wind Waker. I honestly don't think it's all that good.

kennyamr

I have only played 1 Zelda game so I can't say for sure but I had the impression that Zelda was just like Final Fantasy in the sense that every fan had a different opinion of each game as well as their own ranking so it always varied.

Myriadis

I don't see the point of it. We have now seen a ranking of one person, woohoo.

P.S.:LA should be on the last place, not the first.

Not sure really, I'm wondering if im out of the loop. Its been awhile since Ive had a zelda series conversation. At the least the significance that game had should get it into the top3 alone.

Especially since the next game up the list is *Link Between Worlds*

That's straight up insulting

Dad

I'm going to be an optimist and say it's a testament to the quality and diversity of the series that every person has completely different answers for which games are the greatest of all time and which ones are irredeemable trash.

Except for Phantom Hourglass. Fuck Phantom Hourglass

Fredrik

Weak sauce gamers at Kotaku confirmed since they placed the awesome Dark Souls of the 80's (Zelda 2) at 14th place.

jb1234

I'm okay with most of the list, honestly (and pleased that Skyward Sword is ranked low where it belongs).

sanstesy

That's probably literally the worst Zelda list I've ever seen.

probably literally

3orieVVxVESoH7f5yo.gif

I'm playing through the original Legend of Zelda without a guide for the first time (I'd beaten it with one a long time ago) and I don't know, I think it still holds up somewhat okay today. Its style of play is way different from later titles and I think it manages to do what it's going for fine given its age and I feel that it at least ranks above Phantom Hourglass.

Nice to see someone acknowledge Minish Cap since I feel like it's forgotten often, Capcom did a great job. I think the Oracle praise is a bit high, they're fine but not good enough to rank as high as they did here in my opinion... I'd switch them and OoT. Link's Awakening is fantastic, I only wish that it were a little less linear and had more than two buttons to work with, but its the first Zelda with soul and fully developed npcs I'd say. Overall good list.

meow

I've only played six on that list, I feel sad meow.

I STILL VEHEMENTLY DISAGREE WITH THE PLACEMENT OF THE SIX I'VE PLAYED.

Top Bottom