• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: The Next Aliens Game Stars Ellen Ripley's Daughter, FPS, Stealth/Horror focus

Timeaisis

I always just thought her daughter was just an ordinary person and lived a normal life while her mom has gone missing :eek:

Little did you know for 57 years her daughter traveled through space looking for her mother, while exterminating any Xenomorphs she came across, one at a time. Even though she never heard of Xenomorphs before, somehow she knew the alien species was responsible for her mother's disappearance.

Guys, it's quite simple.
And makes complete sense.

Jb

That licence must cost Sega a shitload if they're trying to crank another Aliens game so soon after the Colonial Marines fiasco.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I edited one other notable part into the OP in spoiler tags since people might be sensitive to it:

You, as Amanda, spend most if not all of the game on a single space station, according to our source. There's only one alien for "most" of the game, our source said; you'll mostly be shooting through "clones and soldiers." Vents, lockers, and melee weapons are a big part of Isolation, our source said, and the game is heavily inspired by the first Alien movie.

IHaveIce

Banned
Maybe she had an second daughter?

No seriously if it is the one referenced in Aliens, they have to alter canon or would make serious asspulls.

Anything's better than CM. Bring it on.

Maybe she had an second daughter?

No seriously if it is the one referenced in Aliens, they have to alter canon or would make serious asspulls.
What canon? All we know is that she's dead by the time Aliens takes place.

DieH@rd

Banned
Creative Assembly is a very interesting choice, and even more so with the game being a FPS.

Hopefully, game will be way more oriented on stealth than on action. Something like Riddick games, just with one big bad crazy monster messing the shit up for everyone on space station.

I'm ready to give this game a chance. [and it simply cant be worse than CM]

Timeaisis

I edited one other notable part into the OP in spoiler tags since people might be sensitive to it:

Survival horror alien game would be really cool, actually.
Think about it like RE3, but replace Nemesis with a lone Xenomorph.
Of course, they'd have to fill out the enemies with something substantial. The game sounds good, but the story has me worried. Seems like its gonna be retconned to nonsense.

pargonta

as an alien fan my first thought was no... the directors cut of Aliens took care of this and there is nothing there for you.

but sure, if it's taking cues from Alien 1 for suspense... only 1 alien...

it's a female main character too! starting to take shape as a cool concept.

Seriously.... What are they going to say she did? Fought Aliens like her mother..... Look at this grizzled veteran! She was barely mentioned in the movies..... lol

Yeah, very weird decision if true. Why not just make a new character? What's the point of shoe-horning in Ripley's barely mentioned daughter, who apparently fought Aliens too. And it's an FPS being developed by a TBS dev. All signs pointing towards suckage at the moment.

Dennis

Banned
I trust Creative Assembly to make Total War...................

.................anything else.......we will see.......

ellen ripleys daughter eh? who approved that bit of idiocy? of all the other awesome scenarios they could have concocted somebody, MORE THAN ONE somebody probably, thought it was a good idea to have an alien game starring Ellen ripleys daughter?? Man these suits are so out of touch its pathetic.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
I trust Creative Assembly to make Total War...................

.................anything else.......we will see.......

Even then, after Rome 2 I barely trust that! I remember hearing about CA making aliens games and thought a total war aliens game was on the horizon. Guess this is it instead

DieH@rd

Banned
ellen ripleys daughter eh? who approved that bit of idiocy? of all the other awesome scenarios they could have concocted somebody, MORE THAN ONE somebody probably, thought it was a good idea to have an alien game starring Ellen ripleys daughter?? Man these suits are so out of touch its pathetic.

Well, at least they are not directly shitting on the story that happened in movies like CM did. This will standalone story, far from movies.

I wonder what piece of wizzardry will Total Assembly cast to explain how one alien found itself on that space station. Sure, WeylandYutani was most probably notified about existence of alien organism on the freighter in Alien, and they could possibly gather up relatives of the entire crew in hope to use them if there were some problems on the journey home [crew members demanding more pay, mutiny, etc.].

SeanNoonan

Finally, they've been cooking this since at least 2009. At least.

Don't know much about it, but I've known a few people who did a term over at CA at one point or another.

I was told it was once a Prometheus game... no idea how this will turn out.

Marvel

could never
I refuse to let myself get hyped about another Aliens title... got my fingers crossed for it though.

FoneBone

Making Ripley's daughter the protagonist seems like really stupid fanservice, but I'm cautiously optimistic if they manage not to make it too combat-driven.

The bit about
only one xenomorph for most of the game
sounds awesome, if done right.

Maxrunner

ripleysdaughter.jpg

That's actually Sigourney Weaver mother....

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
That licence must cost Sega a shitload if they're trying to crank another Aliens game so soon after the Colonial Marines fiasco.

I still think they either should go with an idea I mentioned earlier in another thread, or just ditch the license and team up with Eutechnyx to make a new Daytona USA game.

Ridley327

Sounds kinda bad, to be honest.

I don't know why there's such a need for there to be non-stop action in an Alien game, even if there is just one xenomorph.

FoneBone

Sounds kinda bad, to be honest.

I don't know why there's such a need for there to be non-stop action in an Alien game, even if there is just one xenomorph.

The part about the emphasis on melee weapons makes me think that might not be as bad as it first sounds.

Ridiculous.
Sounds like something from a shit fanfic.

"Battle was in her DNA. She is a Ripley, after all. Amanda is her name... a name lovingly given to her by her mother, Ellen. She was only a child when the crushing news came knocking on her grandparents' door- the news that her mother was a casualty on the USCSS Nostromo accident.
That's what the company called it.
Amanda, however, had her mother's determination and passion; her steel-based resolve to grit her teeth and handle any challenge thrown at her. Mom was with her... almost as if her very essence was controlling her thin (but strong) fingers gripping the handle of the M41A pulse rifle. She might have been young at the time, but she knew her mom had guts.
Because moms are tough."

Then again, the 'original' characters in Colonial Marines were garbage, too... so what the hell? Why not? It's not like the legacy of the first Alien film can be shit on much more.

You, as Amanda, spend most if not all of the game on a single space station, according to our source. There's only one alien for "most" of the game, our source said; you'll mostly be shooting through "clones and soldiers." Vents, lockers, and melee weapons are a big part of Isolation, our source said, and the game is heavily inspired by the first Alien movie.

Because nothing makes me feel like the original ALIEN quite like "shooting through clones and soldiers". :|

SJRB

Gold Member
You'd think they would put this series to rest [for a bit] after the colossal goatfuck that was Colonial Marines. This premise is just... what the fuck, man.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Then again, the 'original' characters in Colonial Marines were garbage, too... so what the hell? Why not? It's not like the legacy of the first Alien film can be shit on much more.

Well, that was what I was thinking after watching Aliens Vs. Predator 2, and then came Prometheus and A:CM... So, dont be to sure with this ;)

Timeaisis

Ridiculous.
Sounds like something from a shit fanfic.

"Battle was in her DNA. She is a Ripley, after all. Amanda is her name... a name lovingly given to her by her mother, Ellen. She was only a child when the crushing news came knocking on her grandparents' door- the news that her mother was a casualty on the USCSS Nostromo accident.
That's what the company called it.
Amanda, however, had her mother's determination and passion; her steel-based resolve to grit her teeth and handle any challenge thrown at her. Mom was with her... almost as if her very essence was controlling her thin (but strong) fingers gripping the handle of the M41A pulse rifle. She might have been young at the time, but she knew her mom had guts.
Because moms are tough."

Because nothing makes me feel like the original ALIEN quite like "shooting through clones and soldiers". :|

That was good stuff, man.

ArjanN

If you care about the Alien lore at all outside the Alien/Aliens movies it's probably best to reassess your priorities in life.

Who gives a shit how it connects to the movies canonically, as long as they make a good videogame like Riddick but with Xenomorphs in it.

Ripley's daughter is far enough removed from the plot of the movies that you could tell any kind of story you'd want anyway.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
An Alien game in the style of the original Dead Space would be nice

JDSN

Banned
Outsourced to Blue Castle games which will outsource it to Slant Six.

Didnt TCA work on Spartan: Total War?
That is probably the second most forgettable game in the history of gaming.

Top Bottom