• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku's 7 month investigation into Star Citizen's development

wetflame

Pizza Dog
The whole process has seemed crazy to me, the ridiculously priced DLC leads to people getting way too invested in the game being a success. They feel like they have to constantly be telling themselves and others that this is going to be an incredible game and a huge success, because the alternative - that they have sunk a whole lot of money into something that could fail to deliver - is too difficult to face.

Ah, Kotaku...
YPIrsRqqO7oB2.gif

Wanted to buy this game.
Went to his website and saw a 14000 dollar ship.
Decided to not spend any cash at all.
Will buy it when finished in a sale.

Really? Could you link that?

Once, a source says, Chris came to work after playing The Order: 1886. Impressed by the highly detailed art, he asked CIG’s character artists to match that standard. The team, my sources told me, saw this as impossible.
Lol, what is this nonsense?

redhood56

Banned
It's nice to have an in depth article about the development that isn't a tabloid piece. It really seems like the huge scope and the amount of third party contractors from around the world hindered development more than anything.

Playing the alpha alone told me just how far they want to go as far as detail in this game. In a clothing store, there's tons of clothes on racks, walls and shelves. Each item on a hangar is selectable and can be tried. Although it has repeating assets, if they make more models then they have recreated the most realistic ingame store. And that's just a clothes shop. Fascinating read. As much as I love the alpha, I cant even imagine when this game will be in a shippable state. Features in 3.0 is exciting though.

Keasar

I posted a while ago in the Star Citizen thread about Swedish gaming magazine Level who had done also in-depth investigation into the development of Star Citizen and had a massive 20 page article about it.

It wasn't well received in the thread. :p

As much as I am looking forward to seeing the end result of Star Citizen's development as one of the very first backers the day they announced that game. I have absolutely no doubt that there is a heavy load of shit going on at the CIG offices. Seems like Kotaku is getting into some of the same stuff the Level magazine did.

eggandI

Banned
The most damning stuff in this piece are the words from Robert's mouth himself. Wow.

Hopefully they at least do release a decent game so all those tens of thousands of people who have spent thousands of dollars on this project get something in return.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I want the game to be good and honestly, I'd it takes 2-3 more years I'm fine as long as it's everything it says it is because some of the trailers have me really hyped.

Savitar

Do got my own doubts about it being able to be released or if it shall, I can easily see the whole thing getting shuttered with the studios all closing and the money all gone. If they do get the game out it'll probably be a buggy version of what they promised with many crying foul that so many promises went unfulfilled.

Kinda reminds me of another space game lately in a way and that managed to get out.

It is actually a great article if you spend the time to read it (which takes quite a bit of time btw), instead of you know, drive-by posting about its context.

Yeah there are a couple of moments in the article that have me scratch my head like that. There are insistences from sources about the "technological infeasability" of certain aspects: like character fidelity, camera view, or the retro-fitting to make the game 64 bit... yet all those things have happened? Not only have they happened, but they were also kind of blown out of the water. The camera stuff for example is very confusing why someone would maintain it is impossible. Other games that do it (ARMA, Riddick, FEAR, for example)... do it to varying degrees of sucess and act as well... showings that these things are possible.

Perhaps those with that view regarding those things just lacked the will or technical knowledge to pull off the 'seemingly impossible'?
Nonsense that Roberts himself corroborated? Later on down the article he's like "look, people said we couldn't get order 1886 graphics in, and we did"

I think Cyberpunk is talking about how it is really "non-sensical" for one of the sources to have asserted that such was an impossiblity in the first place. It obviously is not.

Haunted

The release of Squadron 42 will be the make or break moment of this whole endeavour to me.

A true successor to Wing Commander Prophecy with the tech they have shown and the budget they have amassed, how could I not be excited?

Nonsense that Roberts himself corroborated? Later on down the article he's like "look, people said we couldn't get order 1886 graphics in, and we did"

It's nonsense because it's quite clearly no where near impossible, and has already been surpassed within the game.

Taij

There isn't a $14,000 ship. The most expensive ship is $2,500 but it's not currently for sale under normal conditions. You have to buy the completionist package which costs $18,000 then you have the chance to buy the $2,500 ship.

Any way I'm sure the poster went to the site and saw that there were packages that cost $12,000 and $18,000 and noped out of there. I don't blame them at all.

OK, now let's air the dirty laundry of every other game during their development. They've all had some, I'm sure.

How about every other game that's raised over $100 million in funding from its player base? That's right. It's the only one. Let's lower it to $50 million. 25 million? 10 million? 5 million? 4 million? I guess we finally got to Shenmue 3. We'll make that comparison once they've had a few years to work on it like star citizen.

Mahonay

Banned
There isn't a $14,000 ship. The most expensive ship is $2,500 but it's not currently for sale under normal conditions. You have to buy the completionist package which costs $18,000 then you have the chance to buy the $2,500 ship.

Any way I'm sure the poster went to the site and saw that there were packages that cost $12,000 and $18,000 and noped out of there. I don't blame them at all.
tumblr_nthje7hi2F1uaklpeo1_400.gif

Offering tier packages that often costs thousands of dollars isn't that unusual on Kickstarter. They're just offering alternatives for the whales out there, cause they know they exist and will drop absurd amounts of money if they can be enticed into it.

For more normal people, it's possible to buy into the whole thing for about 60 in total.

Usually kickstarters for games will have a top tier that's a few thousand dollars. Those are always limited though. Like 5 total. This is a completely different animal. Those rewards are usually to meet the developer or help on the game by designing something. I could be wrong. I'd love to see another kickstarter that has an increasing list of assets they're selling for thousands of dollars.

Widge

I think that Squadron 42 will come out. I think that a huge population of people will take that, match it to the Star Citizen feature list and come to the wrong (negative) conclusion.

The 2 mil. on Kickstarter isn't special (it is the lowest in the graph- but Kotaku gonna Kotaku), but why is that space website giving it so much money? And did that website really give them that much money or is this some sort of inflation scam to add value? 122 mil. from a single source is a head-turner.

platocplx

This thing is never coming out. Thats my prediction.

It suffers from the number on thing that destroys projects. Scope creep. Theyve been just adding and adding stuff and never have said Bam here is the finished product.

They should have stuck to their original goals then add things on as they hit certain milestones. It seems like its all over the place and just enough to give people a feeling like they are doing a lot.

RK9039

The 2 mil. on Kickstarter isn't special (it is the lowest in the graph- but Kotaku gonna Kotaku), but why is that space website giving it so much money? And did that website really give them that much money or is this some sort of inflation scam to add value? 122 mil. from a single source is a head-turner.

wot

Read the article.
Edit:
To be fair the name Roberts Space Industries is never mentioned in the article text, but you can probably work out what it is.

MikeDown

Banned
This game is never coming out, if it does it won't be in the form that was promised. At this stage it is content creep, and the mismanagement of resources proves this. The facial animation and textures are impressive but aren't practical in any sense of the word.

The facial animation and textures are impressive but aren't practical in any sense of the word.

Video games are a praxis. They are practical. They can even be actively practical in the sense of "work" and "self-betterment" as video games are great tools to generate learning effects.

The development of video games is a praxis (one you are paid for some times). That is practical for those who like to eat.

The assets for a single player / multiplayer game developed to meet certain goals regarding fidelity fulfil the practical necessity to meet expectations of immersion, to generate a world where video games are played.

Beg my pardon, but I am not sure what you mean by the word "practical in any sense of the word".

Deadbeat

Banned
This article means that Desktop Commander, PhD is going to get another fifteen minutes of fame, doesn't it.
Lets be honest here. He didnt actually come out on some whim. He did his research and found something he could hitch his wagon to. The dude knows how to find dirt and Star Citizen has mountains of it.

tuxfool

Banned
Lets be honest here. He didnt actually come out on some whim. He did his research and found something he could hitch his wagon to. The dude knows how to find dirt and Star Citizen has mountains of it.

Nope. If you pay attention to his daily proclamations, you'd know the guy if full of shit.

Will it be fun to play? Not sure. Will it be an amazing tech and beautiful art demo? Absolutely.”

This is what scares me as a backer. I hope the immediate changes are good but I serious doubts they can make good gameplay.

I'm not really surprised by any of this stuff.

It's possibly the most ambitious game ever attempted and it's been split into 4-5 large chunks that somehow need to be pieced together in the end.

That said, I'm not spending a dime on this game until it reaches the store shelves\steam\whatever.

Jackpot

Banned

No, it's more that Star Citizen and Desktop Commander occupy the same market and that Smart had a huge beef with Roberts back in the 90s over Wing Commander & Freelancer being super-successful and Smart's games being a pile of shit.

Deadbeat

Banned
Nope. If you pay attention to his daily proclamations, you'd know the guy if full of shit.
I'm not saying all of his proclamations are right. What I'm saying is he loves to revel in the failure of others, and he's going to get his chance.

Kudos to him. I am all about the internet drama and I hope it becomes as huge of a spectacle that he wants it to be.

Geist-

They really should take those packages off the site and make them something you have to contact customer service in order to buy. It just leaves a bad impression on new players.

I mean, I get it, many kickstarters have massive $10k+ tiers, but it doesn't look good.

It is actually a great article if you spend the time to read it (which takes quite a bit of time btw), instead of you know, drive-by posting about its context.
Yeah there are a couple of moments in the article that have me scratch my head like that. There are insistences from sources about the "technological infeasability" of certain aspects: like character fidelity, camera view, or the retro-fitting to make the game 64 bit... yet all those things have happened? Not only have they happened, but they were also kind of blown out of the water. The camera stuff for example is very confusing why someone would maintain it is impossible. Other games that do it (ARMA, Riddick, FEAR, for example)... do it to varying degrees of sucess and act as well... showings that these things are possible.

Perhaps those with that view regarding those things just lacked the will or technical knowledge to pull off the 'seemingly impossible'?
I think Cyberpunk is talking about how it is really "non-sensical" for one of the sources to have asserted that such was an impossiblity in the first place. It obviously is not.
Ya, Roberts probably expects a lot (maybe too much?), but they've managed to accomplish nearly all of those goals, so it sounds like some of those early developers just weren't up to par? I guess the massive amount of funding let Roberts hire the people he needed to do the job. This quote probably describes it best:

“If Star Citizen does end up hitting the goals that Roberts has planned (by beating his horses to death to get to the finish line), there is no doubt in my mind it will be amazing.” - CIG source

I mean, I really do feel uncomfortable that CIG is apparently a hostile environment, and hope that Roberts has improved his management style after the studio restructure. Sounds like a lot of pain and suffering until they finally settled with the current setup.

Once, a source says, Chris came to work after playing The Order: 1886. Impressed by the highly detailed art, he asked CIG’s character artists to match that standard. The team, my sources told me, saw this as impossible.
Roberts came back from seeing another in-development CryEngine game, Kingdom Come: Deliverance. He had been deeply impressed by the character inventory and outfits system, which involved multiple layers of clothing where each item has different properties, from its material to its weight and shape, that affect how it animates. Chris wanted it for Star Citizen.

So Chris Roberts is the new George Broussard, and Star Citizen is the new Duke Nukem Forever.

The game will be done ten years from now, by another company after the original developers crash and burn - understood.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Ah, Kotaku...
YPIrsRqqO7oB2.gif

yeah sure !

It seems cheaper right now.. 12100 dollars.
and you get about 20 ships.
not counting re skins.
so my bad you "get" 20 ships not one.
And when i saw that i closed the site and said nope.

and there is also a $18150,- pack

If you are telling me that asking 12100 dollars for 20 fictive ships is ok.
You are insane.

Disxo

yeah sure !

not counting re skins.
so my bad you "get" 20 ships.

and there is a also a $18150,- pack

You are insane.
Do you want the game made or not?
People buy that and know the risks involved, not your money, not your problem.

Mupod

from the start I've only wanted squadron 42 and thought everything else seemed like a great way to end up disappointed. I figured even if the MMO concept failed there's no way that the small Wing Commander esque shooter would end up being delayed to infinity. Oops.

Of course you can't complain about that here without being jumped on by the usual suspects who will swear up and down that everything is fine and on schedule.

Geist-

So Chris Roberts is the new George Broussard, and Star Citizen is the new Duke Nukem Forever.

The game will be done ten years from now, by another company after the original developers crash and burn - understood.
But both those things are already done. They've been talking about character customization and detail for like the last month.

3o7TKGVJwQuh0dpnGM.gif

Pretty sure that's above The Order detail...

yeah sure !

not counting re skins.
so my bad you "get" 20 ships not one.
And when i saw that i closed the site and said nope.

and there is also a $18150,- pack

You are insane.
I said earlier that it's extremely dumb that they have that in the same shop as everything else, but you have to understand the context. It's for people who have the money, and want to give it to CIG to make their game, and they get ships in return.

Holy shittttt

And here I was thinking AES carts were expensive...this is the new standard in outrageous game pricing. for a game that might take years to come out (if ever).

Top Bottom