• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KS8000 settings for gaming at 4k/HDR

Doombear

Have DICE added HDR to Battlefield 1 yet? Or is that coming later? A lot of the maps on Battlefield would look beautiful with HDR.

Added as of the big update / 2nd DLC pack on Tuesday. It's not the most overwhelming implementation of HDR I've seen, but there are a few maps that do look quite nice with the lighting. Though, with everything going on and the effects everywhere it always has looked pretty great to me. I was expecting it to blow me away though. I need to stop expecting that from every HDR everything!

keldog777

Neo Member
Trying desperately to resolve this colour separation issue. Seems to happen every 30 mins when playing PES 2017 on my pro. Same with the PES 2018 demo. Played a lot of Destiny these last few days with no sign of the issue. Need to test out some other games that run at 60fps.

I never had this problem before the main board was replaced. Firmware was the same before and after.

Anybody here had any luck fixing this issue?

ScurvyKid

Neo Member
First of all I would like to thank all the contributors to this thread as you have really helped me navigate this HDR maze.

So my question is - has anybody had any luck implementing HDR correctly in BF1?

I am getting severely over exposed visuals, so much so that many menus are obscured by the harsh light bloom, even the main Battlefield start up splash screen is only half visible.

I am aware of the HDR slider in the settings but this has little to no effect unless at the extreme lower end, with values of 1, 2 or 3 out of 10,000.

In game it's a little better but still super bright and obscured.

I have HDR working fine on Shadow Warrior 2.

My current colour setting of RGB limited 8 bit in Nvidia control panel.

System specs - i54670k GTX 970 8gb DDR 3 RAM. Win 10 Creators update / latest Nvidia drivers.

TV - KS8000.

If anyone can help or shed any light I would really appreciate it, I've been trying to find a fix all day.

Cheers.

TDonk

A bit left field. ....Do you wear glasses?

Had to change them myself recently as the 'bloom' was ridiculous through them. Deterioration in the coating/lenses.

Crystal clear now.

ScurvyKid

Neo Member
A bit left field. ....Do you wear glasses?

Had to change them myself recently as the 'bloom' was ridiculous through them. Deterioration in the coating/lenses.

Crystal clear now.

No, no glasses. I have HDR working perfectly in Shadow Warrior 2.

Do you have it clear in Battlefield 1?

Setzer

Ok, its good to hear that Everybody's Golf just seems to be a poor implementation. I was making me have a bad vision of HDR. Horizon did look really good when I think back to it.

Yeah it's good to see others having similar experiences with HDR on Everybody's Golf. I thought maybe it was an issue with my TV or PS4. I also have the same issue when enabling HDR on MLB The Show. The only game that HDR actually looked good was Final Fantasy XV, at least in my experience anyways.

HDR makes a pretty nice difference for me. Also, are you talking about games, or movies too?

have you watched this video on your TV? This is the best thing i could find that splits the screen. The youtube app on the Tv supports HDR.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BSszwQiqlw

Games mostly, i mean it looks pretty but after some previews from gaming sites that it was a "game changer", i guess my expectations were higher

Symphonia

Banned
Games mostly, i mean it looks pretty but after some previews from gaming sites that it was a "game changer", i guess my expectations were higher
HDR is still a relatively new technology where videogames are concerned. Developers are still learning how to implement it properly and efficiently. The best game to really showcase HDR at the moment is Horizon. The difference between playing it with HDR and playing without HDR really is night and day. Give it a while, and you’ll soon notice a difference in quality.

EvB

First of all I would like to thank all the contributors to this thread as you have really helped me navigate this HDR maze.

So my question is - has anybody had any luck implementing HDR correctly in BF1?

I am getting severely over exposed visuals, so much so that many menus are obscured by the harsh light bloom, even the main Battlefield start up splash screen is only half visible.

I am aware of the HDR slider in the settings but this has little to no effect unless at the extreme lower end, with values of 1, 2 or 3 out of 10,000.

In game it's a little better but still super bright and obscured.

I have HDR working fine on Shadow Warrior 2.

My current colour setting of RGB limited 8 bit in Nvidia control panel.

System specs - i54670k GTX 970 8gb DDR 3 RAM. Win 10 Creators update / latest Nvidia drivers.

TV - KS8000.

If anyone can help or shed any light I would really appreciate it, I've been trying to find a fix all day.

Cheers.

HDR is inherently 10bit, so your colour depth 100% needs to be 10bit.

philm87

No, no glasses. I have HDR working perfectly in Shadow Warrior 2.

Do you have it clear in Battlefield 1?

Have you changed the HDR contrast settings in the options? Mine is set to 1350 which matches the 2 white blocks together. It's basically to match the peak brightness of your tv and allow you to get the most out of it. The colour depth after the patch was instantly visible to me. I'd been playing it quite a lot the weekend prior to the patch so may have made the changes more obvious to me. The horizons now look amazing, along with explosions and other lighting elements.

If you see something like a horizon in the game it should really shine through compared to SDR content, if not then it might be worth adjusting settings to get the most out of the tv.

ScurvyKid

Neo Member
Have you changed the HDR contrast settings in the options? Mine is set to 1350 which matches the 2 white blocks together. It's basically to match the peak brightness of your tv and allow you to get the most out of it. The colour depth after the patch was instantly visible to me. I'd been playing it quite a lot the weekend prior to the patch so may have made the changes more obvious to me. The horizons now look amazing, along with explosions and other lighting elements.

I'm pretty sure this is my problem, both of the blocks are solid white regardless of the numerical scale, and it seems it is just set too high, but there is no change in appearance at all regardless of the number on the scale I set from 25 - 10000. I have pretty bad OCD and can usually spot even the most subtle differences.

HDR is inherently 10bit, so your colour depth 100% needs to be 10bit.

It was my understanding that desktop colour settings do not matter as the app/game should auto switch to a compatible format. But thanks for the suggestion, I will try setting 10bit in nvidia control panel for the desktop when I get in after work.

MastAndo

For the past week or so, switching to my PS4 Pro input on this set (55KS8000) is taking much longer than usual. Whereas it was once basically instantaneous, I'm now staring at a black screen (with audio) for around 20 seconds before I can see anything. Any ideas what might be causing this?

Doombear

Sadly no. There are a few of us in here that experience the same thing. I have no idea what caused it. It was fine for the first few weeks and since then, not so much. Also on PS4 Pro (using the cable it came with.)

MastAndo

Sadly no. There are a few of us in here that experience the same thing. I have no idea what caused it. It was fine for the first few weeks and since then, not so much. Also on PS4 Pro (using the cable it came with.)
Well, that's unfortunate. Thanks for the reply.

Doombear

Yeah, it is pretty frustrating. Are you using the cable that came with the PS4 Pro? I have another one ordered (Amazon Basics 6ft) that I will try out this week once it gets here. Doubt that is it, but it is worth a shot.

philm87

I'm pretty sure this is my problem, both of the blocks are solid white regardless of the numerical scale, and it seems it is just set too high, but there is no change in appearance at all regardless of the number on the scale I set from 25 - 10000. I have pretty bad OCD and can usually spot even the most subtle differences.

I can see the difference on mine when I drop from 1350 to 1300, so you definitely need to play around with the settings to get it working. Make sure you have dynamic contrast off, play around with the brightness and contrast settings.

For the past week or so, switching to my PS4 Pro input on this set (55KS8000) is taking much longer than usual. Whereas it was once basically instantaneous, I'm now staring at a black screen (with audio) for around 20 seconds before I can see anything. Any ideas what might be causing this?

I'm pretty sure its the cable. I have my Xbox one s also on this tv and it never happened with my xbox

Yeah, it is pretty frustrating. Are you using the cable that came with the PS4 Pro? I have another one ordered (Amazon Basics 6ft) that I will try out this week once it gets here. Doubt that is it, but it is worth a shot.

Having this issue as well recently and I am using a brand new cable from Amazon so I'm thinking it's something else.

I can't see HDR either. Completely pointless.
I try to make this recommendation every few pages of this thread, but do you have an amazon prime account?

Try watching The Grand Tour via the built in amazon app. INCREDIBLE image quality that shows off the potential.

At least within my limited selection though, unfortunately no game has come to reaching that bar.

philm87

So for Battlefield 1, the HDR setting should be around 1000 or so?

It's whatever matches the two blocks of white together. Other settings on the TV will effect this. If the blocks are matching below 1000 you probably need to sort out your TV settings, make sure Dynamic Contrast is off for starters. Mine is set to 1350. I have the European KS9000.

PS4 Pro, BF1 and Uncharted Lots Legacy

I'm losing my mind here, what is the correct setting for color space with the latest update? Auto or Native?

Well, I suggest setting the TV up to your liking. Nothing wrong with that. My eyes have adjusted to settings very close to rtings.com's and the picture quality of this TV is something I'm still not used to, because it's so goddamn good.

Gorger

What are your guys TV settings when watching 4K content on Netflix via Playstation 4, and what difference do you make the settings when watching regular 1080p on Netflix?

Symphonia

Banned
What are your guys TV settings when watching 4K content on Netflix via Playstation 4, and what difference do you make the settings when watching regular 1080p on Netflix?
My settings for 4K and 1080p are the same. I only ever change the settings when I’m watching something with HDR. Even then I only change the backlight to maximum, but the TV does that automatically. As a baseline I used the Rtings settings, but left the white space and colour settings as default.

Tntnico

Here, when I watch HDR content on TV or Galaxy S8 Youtube app it looks gorgeous. But when I play on Xbox One S or PS4, it looks as beautiful that gaming HDR video from "The HDR Channel" on Youtube.

Gorger

My settings for 4K and 1080p are the same. I only ever change the settings when I’m watching something with HDR. Even then I only change the backlight to maximum, but the TV does that automatically. As a baseline I used the Rtings settings, but left the white space and colour settings as default.

Has RTings updated their settings since 2016? Hasn't all the new firmware changed the values to such a degree that they would be considered outdated by now? I find them at least very dark and dim. Only 3-4 blacklight, really?

I am watching Narcos season 3 now in 4k, and some of the scenes especially outside during the day looks absolutely stunning with 20 backlight and dynamic contrast turned on. The problem unfortunately comes when we go into darker scenes and the picture becomes really grainy. I wish I could find a right balance between light and dark that works for me, and at the same time reduce the grainy picture as much as possible, because it looks like absolute trash and ruins every scene where it's happening.. Still haven't found a setting I feel completely satisfied with, and as much as I love this TV for its interface and video game input lag, video grain during movies is abysmally bad and the worst I've seen in any modern TV...

Symphonia

Banned
Has RTings updated their settings since 2016? Hasn't all the new firmware changed the values to such a degree that they would be considered outdated by now? I find them at least very dark and dim. Only 3-4 blacklight, really?
They do say to adjust backlight according to ambient light. The darker the room, the lower the value. The brighter the room, the higher. Mine is set to 6 and gives me a perfect picture.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Well, I suggest setting the TV up to your liking. Nothing wrong with that. My eyes have adjusted to settings very close to rtings.com's and the picture quality of this TV is something I'm still not used to, because it's so goddamn good.

Pretty much. I started with rtings, then used Amazon's HDR Grand Tour to tune it just a bit to my liking and have stuck with it. Some games are more vivid than others, but I chalk that up to the developers rather than a TV thing. Movies and shows on youtube or Amazon are consistently very impressive. The TV is just top notch.

I am watching Narcos season 3 now in 4k, and some of the scenes especially outside during the day looks absolutely stunning with 20 backlight and dynamic contrast turned on. The problem unfortunately comes when we go into darker scenes and the picture becomes really grainy. I wish I could find a right balance between light and dark that works for me, and at the same time reduce the grainy picture as much as possible, because it looks like absolute trash and ruins every scene where it's happening.. Still haven't found a setting I feel completely satisfied with, and as much as I love this TV for its interface and video game input lag, video grain during movies is abysmally bad and the worst I've seen in any modern TV...

grain is in the source, not your TV.

I try to make this recommendation every few pages of this thread, but do you have an amazon prime account?

Try watching The Grand Tour via the built in amazon app. INCREDIBLE image quality that shows off the potential.

At least within my limited selection though, unfortunately no game has come to reaching that bar.

Seroiusly that first episode looks amazing. I have never seen cars look that good on a screen before.

Aske

I'm not a fan of grain either. Turn Digital Clean View to auto; that's your fix!

For me the switch to HDR is even more impressive than 4K is compared to 1080p. It's a night and day difference in movies, and gaming wise Horizon Zero Dawn is the perfect showcase.

Mudron

Okay, here's a really dumb, incredibly basic question:

What solution for HDMI splitting would you guys recommend?

Right now, I have a Samsung HDMI splitter connected to my TV (hell, I can't even remember if it came with the TV or if I picked it up separately), but the splitter is already full between my Apple TV, PS4, Xbox, and Switch, AND I'd like to be able to hook up a NES and/or SNES Classic up to the TV full time someday (right now, I'm just using the Switch's HDMI cable with the NES Classic right now).

Is there a 4K/UHD-compatible splitter with more inputs I can buy? Or it it possible to piggyback two splitters together somehow?

Gorger

grain is in the source, not your TV.

But that doesn't explain when I am comparing the same sources with my 5+ year old 55'' 1080p HD TV and the quality on that TV looks stunningly better than the KS8000. I was checking out The Defenders and it's crystal clear on my old TV in 1080p, while on the KS8000 it looks like a grainy ugly mess even with Digital Clean View on and in 4k.

I also tried Penny Dreadful, again crystal clear on the 1080p but on the KS8000 it looks like shit. I am just so disappointed in the film quality of this TV and I am constantly battling static grain that is ruining every show for me. Sure it's great for games, but I did expect a new TV like this to be on par with my half a decade old one, especially when it's running in 4k.

Top Bottom