• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KS8000 settings for gaming at 4k/HDR

If anyone knows, every time that i connect the switch to the dock, TV finds it as a new device, and change my custom name and icon on the HDMI input.

Any solution for this?

Try this
HDMI AUTO DETECT TOGGLE

The HDMI Auto Detect feature can be turned off on Samsung 2016/2017 TVs using the remote control by pressing a certain key sequence (either IR or Bluetooth remote works).

1. Make sure TV is updated to latest firmware version
2. Switch TV to TV source – HDMI may not work with BT Smart remotes. TV source works with either remote
3. Using IR Remote: Mute + 7 + 2 + 9 + Exit
4. Using Smart Control: Mute + Vol Down + Ch Down + Mute

PLEASE NOTE: TV does not display any messages after you press the above key combination. This function is a toggle. So if you want to turn HDMI Auto Detect on again, press the same key sequence.

This information has already been shared with online Tech Support and the Call Centers.

laxu

So what's at the moment the right way to deal with way too dark HDR in Netflix? I was trying to watch Mindhunter but had to turn dynamic contrast to medium for it to not be super dark.

So what's at the moment the right way to deal with way too dark HDR in Netflix? I was trying to watch Mindhunter but had to turn dynamic contrast to medium for it to not be super dark.

I don't think there's an agreed-upon "right" way. I run into the same issue with some HDR games on PS4 such as Hot Shots Golf, and here's my solution:

1) Backlight to 20
2) Dynamic Contrast to Low (anything more crushes detail in bright or dark areas)
3) Gamma to +1, 2, or 3 depending on how dark the content is.

I don't mess with any other settings since I know those are "right" for me and I don't want to fiddle with them.

laxu

I don't think there's an agreed-upon "right" way. I run into the same issue with some HDR games on PS4 such as Hot Shots Golf, and here's my solution:

1) Backlight to 20
2) Dynamic Contrast to Low (anything more crushes detail in bright or dark areas)
3) Gamma to +1, 2, or 3 depending on how dark the content is.

I don't mess with any other settings since I know those are "right" for me and I don't want to fiddle with them.

Thanks! Does anyone know why only Netflix seems to suffer from this? Haven't seen the same issue in any games on PS4.

I would add:

Up the color to 60.
Turn off Dynamic Contrast altogether

I thought I needed DC but turning the color up worked for me. DC does way more harm than good, provided you have contrast maxed out and the color turned up a bit.

Every time I turn dynamic contrast off I end up turning it back on. I am to used to the 'pop.'

Here is how I dealt with that.. goto the dynamic contrast setting. Close your eyes for a few seconds, change it to none, keep the eyes closed and back out of the menu, keep the eyes closed a wee bit longer... now open them!

Well, It worked for me. Now I change every setting other than dynamic if I'm not happy with a picture. I pretend it's not an option any more.

Here is how I dealt with that.. goto the dynamic contrast setting. Close your eyes for a few seconds, change it to none, keep the eyes closed and back out of the menu, keep the eyes closed a wee bit longer... now open them!

Good advice. If you want a rich, natural picture for your set, the worst way to calibrate it is to sit there with the remote and just do quick A-B comparisons between different settings:

"DC on....ok, now DC off....Hmm, let me see DC on again...It sure is brighter and more colorful"

The problem is that your eyes will adjust to various settings over time but not quick enough for these types of flipping-back-and-forth style adjustments. Accurate colors, color temp, and backlight settings among other changes will look "wrong" at first but if you give your eyes enough time to adjust they will begin to appreciate the natural, deep image.

Yes good advice. I can't even go back to DC on low. Try watching something outdoors and even on low, DC blows out the whites to such a degree that its degrading the quality of whatever you are watching.

As long as Backlight and Contrast are maxed you should be fine. I found upping Color to 60 for HDR really overcame whatever "pop" I thought was missing from UHD playback especially.

I've just bought a ks7000 uk which is apparently the ks8000 USA. The firmware on the uk website isn't the latest (surprise surprise) so I download the 2106.1 from the USA website.

This should work fine on my tv?

I've just bought a ks7000 uk which is apparently the ks8000 USA. The firmware on the uk website isn't the latest (surprise surprise) so I download the 2106.1 from the USA website.

This should work fine on my tv?

The filenames are different so your TV may not see the update on the USB stick. I'm not sure if you can tinker with the files to make it work, but honestly, nobody has been able to tell if anything at all changed between 1203 and 1206 so I wouldn't even bother if I were you and just go with the 1203 on the UK site.

BLAUcopter

Gold Member
I have the opposite with my set and the ps4 pro. HDR too bright and I can't seem to find that perfect setting. I've gone back to running without HDR and using my old settings which had nice deep blacks and popping colour.

Further to this, my screen Will just go black every now and then if auto is selected on the ps4 and it happens with both HDR and non HDR content. Fail.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I would add:

Up the color to 60.
Turn off Dynamic Contrast altogether

I thought I needed DC but turning the color up worked for me. DC does way more harm than good, provided you have contrast maxed out and the color turned up a bit.

I might try that. I have mine on 55 now.

I have the opposite with my set and the ps4 pro. HDR too bright and I can't seem to find that perfect setting. I've gone back to running without HDR and using my old settings which had nice deep blacks and popping colour.

Further to this, my screen Will just go black every now and then if auto is selected on the ps4 and it happens with both HDR and non HDR content. Fail.

My KS8500 does the same blacking out every 30 minutes or so thing too. But ONLY on the PS4 PRO.

laxu

Could be a too low quality cable. Haven't experienced this myself with the stock PS4 Pro cable but with 4K, HDR etc HDMI cable quality does matter.

BLAUcopter

Gold Member
Could be a too low quality cable. Haven't experienced this myself with the stock PS4 Pro cable but with 4K, HDR etc HDMI cable quality does matter.
It's not the cables. Spent some good money on these. It's something to do with the PS4 and maybe the way it handles HDMI handshakes. Some people only have this issue with the PS. All other devices like Xboxes are fine.

mckmas8808

It's not the cables. Spent some good money on these. It's something to do with the PS4 and maybe the way it handles HDMI handshakes. Some people only have this issue with the PS. All other devices like Xboxes are fine.

I have the same issue as you and it's ONLY the PS4 PRO.

Aces&Eights

I was a die hard DC user but it's true, if you leave it off and fine tune the other settings and give it some time for your eyes to adjust, the picture really is much better with it off.

Symphonia

Banned
I was watching Stranger Things 2 and the bloom produced by white-on-black is especially noticeable during certain scenes. A way to remedy this is turning Smart LED off. Would doing this have a big impact on the overall image quality?

EvB

I was watching Stranger Things 2 and the bloom produced by white-on-black is especially noticeable during certain scenes. A way to remedy this is turning Smart LED off. Would doing this have a big impact on the overall image quality?

Yes, you’ll get overall reduced contrast, greyer blacks.

The smart LED should turn off the LEDs in dark areas, however if the backlight is too high then you’ll get more bloom

Symphonia

Banned
Yes, you’ll get overall reduced contrast, greyer blacks.

The smart LED should turn off the LEDs in dark areas, however if the backlight is too high then you’ll get more bloom
Doesn't the backlight need to be at max to truly benefit from HDR?

Wow ok I need some serious help with my ks8000 (ks7000uk)

It just came today missing part of the stand, which samsung said they'd fix and send me a new stand.

Anyway please help me unless I am being stupid. The tv just feels massively unresponsive when using the remote. I was aiming the remotes at the bottom right corner of the screen for them to work and it half the time they wouldn't.. As of right now, they won't work at all. I tried the smart view app but doesn't detect my tv.

So I can't even turn it off unless I pull the mains out and even doing that and plugging back it doesn't resolve the issue. I've checked the batteries and put new ones in. I was trying to get HDR to show up on my ps4 pro but I'd rather get this tv working first.

The tv is on the carpet leaning against the old tv stand. Is the remote signal receiver under the tv or something?

Or have I just got a faulty tv.

I've updated the firmware to 1201.

I've tried aiming the remote at the connect box too.

edit ok it seems the signal is under the tv... So stupid.

However my pro is telling me my tv does not support hdr. I have the hdmi plugged into slot 1 and in game mode. Can't seem to find any hdr to enable.

Belker

The TV supports HDR. I have a standard PS4 and get HDR in games and get HDR video when using the TV's own apps for Netflix etc.

EDIT - You have to *enable* HDR. It's crackers, but it's in the UHDMI settings or something. I can't quite remember. There's a section in settings to do with the ports that are in the HDMI-box and you have to turn those on to allow HDR to work.

Your remote problem sounds odd. I found that the black plastic remote was bit less responsive than the silver one. I didn't have to point at any particular part of the TV to get it work.

Aces&Eights

The TV supports HDR. I have a standard PS4 and get HDR in games and get HDR video when using the TV's own apps for Netflix etc.

EDIT - You have to *enable* HDR. It's crackers, but it's in the UHDMI settings or something. I can't quite remember. There's a section in settings to do with the ports that are in the HDMI-box and you have to turn those on to allow HDR to work.

Your remote problem sounds odd. I found that the black plastic remote was bit less responsive than the silver one. I didn't have to point at any particular part of the TV to get it work.

And just enable all 4 ports. It will save the settings and you won't need to bother with it again.

EDIT: Also, make sure you use the HDMI cable that came with the Pro or one that is certified for HDR/4K.

The ifrared of the remote should bounce around the room to get to the tv. you can even face it away to get there. maybe it needs more batteries or you have a faulty remote.

Libram

Neo Member
So is there any reason to not use pc mode for gaming consoles. I played around switching between pc and game mode and the picture looks way better to me using pc mode

rcl66

My KS8500 does the same blacking out every 30 minutes or so thing too. But ONLY on the
PS4 PRO.

Same issue only its not every 30 minutes - its more random. Sometimes its 1 min after turning on and never again, and sometimes it happens a couple times a session. Sometimes it recovers in a few seconds and sometimes I have to power cycle my receiver or PS4 Pro to fix it. It's maddening. I've switched receivers, run it direct to the TV, switched cables and turned off the HDCP. NOTHING solves it. Xbox One X and other devices don't do this. I would think this is a issue with ALL PS4 PROs... if not maybe Sony can exchange my crappy one. So frustrating.

Gradly

So is there any reason to not use pc mode for gaming consoles. I played around switching between pc and game mode and the picture looks way better to me using pc mode

I'm still new to this TV (actually got the KS8500 model) but from what I understand Game mode will favor input lag over picture quality so you get minimal input lag but with less quality, so I guess this explains your issue

ss_lemonade

Depends on the user I guess. Some people don’t like how PC mode oversaturates colors and there’s also slightly higher input lag there (though I don’t really notice it). The only real benefit for me is separate SDR/HDR settings but once the firmware update that fixes that arrives, I might just stick to Game mode then

Depends on the user I guess. Some people don’t like how PC mode oversaturates colors and there’s also slightly higher input lag there (though I don’t really notice it). The only real benefit for me is separate SDR/HDR settings but once the firmware update that fixes that arrives, I might just stick to Game mode then

doesn't pc mode only give 8bit hdr too?

Rbk_3

PC mode way oversaturates the colors. If you want that same effect in game mode, turn the color space to native.

I hope this is the HDR fix. Did you download it directly from the tv?

Yes. I have auto updates enabled.

It does not appear to be the fix. I tried "Game" mode with Forza 7 and it didn't automatically scale my backlight. I haven't tried anything with PS4, as I have mainly been playing Mario Odyssey.

ss_lemonade

doesn't pc mode only give 8bit hdr too?
Not sure but is there even such a thing as 8 bit HDR?
PC mode way oversaturates the colors. If you want that same effect in game mode, turn the color space to native.
AFAIK there is still a difference between PC mode and outside PC mode + native color space (PC mode still being more oversaturated). I remember comparing the 2 before and PC mode not only oversaturates, it seems to shift some color tones around too. My PS4 theme for instance has a blue background. Putting in native color space in game mode makes the blue punchier. In PC mode though, the blue background turns purplish in color. This is when in HDR by the way (run a game in HDR then return back to the PS4 home screen)

Symphonia

Banned
Anyne have good settings for the tv?

Native or Auto what is better?
I leave Dynamic Contrast set to off. If you have the other settings set correctly, you won’t need DC.

Backlight: 3-5 (HDR 18)
Brightness: 40
Contrast: 90
Sharpness: 10
Colour: 60
Smart LED: Low
Black Level: Auto
Motion Flow:
Blur Reduction: Max
Judder Reduction: 2

Those are my settings, and they work perfectly for me. Some will need to be tweaked accordingly depending on your environmental lighting.

buenoblue

Not sure but is there even such a thing as 8 bit HDR?

I may be wrong but I thought I read gran turismo sport was the first 10bit colour depth game. Which means all other games with hdr have the wrong colour depth because your forced to use 10bit setting for hdr.

I have sky q 4k set top box in uk and it has a 8bit or 10bit setting and it looks so much better in 8bit cause nothing on tv is mastered in 10bit colour yet.

mckmas8808

Same issue only its not every 30 minutes - its more random. Sometimes its 1 min after turning on and never again, and sometimes it happens a couple times a session. Sometimes it recovers in a few seconds and sometimes I have to power cycle my receiver or PS4 Pro to fix it. It's maddening. I've switched receivers, run it direct to the TV, switched cables and turned off the HDCP. NOTHING solves it. Xbox One X and other devices don't do this. I would think this is a issue with ALL PS4 PROs... if not maybe Sony can exchange my crappy one. So frustrating.

I had your exact same issues. I said every 30 minutes to even out the times, but in reality it's super random. Like you it can happen twice to me in the first 10 minutes of watching a HDR show on Netflix or playing a game with HDR on, and then for the next 3 hours it never happens again.

It's super random and frustrating. The only good thing is, it only blinks and turns off for like 3 seconds and then it's back.

MizzouRah

I had your exact same issues. I said every 30 minutes to even out the times, but in reality it's super random. Like you it can happen twice to me in the first 10 minutes of watching a HDR show on Netflix or playing a game with HDR on, and then for the next 3 hours it never happens again.

It's super random and frustrating. The only good thing is, it only blinks and turns off for like 3 seconds and then it's back.

I have this issue with both my PC and PS4 Pro. I’ve found that if it starts I can make it stop without issue by doing the following steps:
1) Switch to different input
2) Turn off tv
3) Turn on tv
4) Switch input back to PS4 or PC

Shitty workaround, but it seems to be reliable. I’ve swapped breakout boxes with Samsung, but that didn’t help.

philm87

Yeah I've started getting this recently, but only on the PS4 Pro never on apps, which suggests it's maybe a HDMI thing with me. Was okay for about the first 8 months of having the Pro and this TV. Just resorted to putting the Pro on YUV420 and not had any issues since

mckmas8808

Yeah I've started getting this recently, but only on the PS4 Pro never on apps, which suggests it's maybe a HDMI thing with me. Was okay for about the first 8 months of having the Pro and this TV. Just resorted to putting the Pro on YUV420 and not had any issues since

Do you lose any quality of 4K or HDR that you are aware of with using YUV420?

philm87

Do you lose any quality of 4K or HDR that you are aware of with using YUV420?

Nothing noticeable yet, but haven't tried any HDR games recently.

As far as I'm aware there shouldn't be any difference in the HDR brightness effects as this is controlled by the Y value which is 4 on both YUV420 and YUV422, but theoretically there will be less room to send colour data. The content might not need the full range anyway and I'm not sure if YUV420 can effectively do the full range of colours anyway. Gets pretty complicated if you look into it.

I'm quite sure that it's so minuscule a difference that you shouldn't notice, and a quick easy fix for the black screen issue.

Hello everyone. I've lurked this thread over a year (KS9000 owner here) and over at AVS forums, a poster called Rudy1 has mentioned that a fix for the game mode/HDR issue will be coming later this month.

Top Bottom