• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KS8000 settings for gaming at 4k/HDR

Question: For PC gaming in 4k, do you guys/girls use game mode or pc mode? I've been using game mode exlusively but I heard that PC mode adds Chroma 4:4:4 color while adding 10-15ms of input lag, giving a sharper overall look. Is the image quality gain worth it?

Game mode for me. If you are using the TV for reading and working then it's probably worth the hit in latency for the increased readability on fonts and such but if you're like me and mostly just play games on it then I don't think it is. I can't see much difference in-game for 4:4:4 so I leave it in game mode for the quickest response.

DonJimbo

It's a great TV, you won't find one anywhere though
The best replacement I know of is the Samsung NU8000

The reviews say "great for gaming thanks to it's wonderfully low input lag and is capable of breath taking HDR"
Thanks mate im thinking about to upgrade my 1080p tv for the ps5 next year
I will look at the nu8000 to see how much it costs here in germany

AntsaK2

Neo Member
After a almost year taking a brake I started again tinker with my KS8000 HDR settings but I still have the same problem. On a HDR mode colors always seems faded and washed out.

hUOFCA6.jpg

v8iApXh.jpg

I know that it is absolute travesty to take "HDR" images with phone camera but this still is somewhat how I see with my naked eye. First picture is HDR enabled and latter with disabled. Every game (including Desktop) I have tried is the same. No matter what HDR settings I try there always seems to be this "over bright film" on top of my picture. To me this feels like colors are faded and washed out.

I also have Samsung MU6100 and with it I tried to Game Stream with Nvidia Shield TV from same desktop that is connected to KS8000 and HDR works just great. I have literally tried every setting and config that I have found but I just can't solve this problem. Has any of you KS8000 owners tackled with issue?

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I turn off HDR for all my playstation games on my 7000. Hell only Horizon does HDR properly anyway and it really pops on my Sony 4k. Last time I buy a Samsung tv. (lag input is low and I can still use it for fighters so I'm not that mad tbh)

Not sure what you guys have set up but there certainly isnt any problem running HDR on my Ks8000. It looks fantastic. Apply all of Rtings settings properly and SDR does also.

Panther84

After a almost year taking a brake I started again tinker with my KS8000 HDR settings but I still have the same problem. On a HDR mode colors always seems faded and washed out.

hUOFCA6.jpg

v8iApXh.jpg

I know that it is absolute travesty to take "HDR" images with phone camera but this still is somewhat how I see with my naked eye. First picture is HDR enabled and latter with disabled. Every game (including Desktop) I have tried is the same. No matter what HDR settings I try there always seems to be this "over bright film" on top of my picture. To me this feels like colors are faded and washed out.

I also have Samsung MU6100 and with it I tried to Game Stream with Nvidia Shield TV from same desktop that is connected to KS8000 and HDR works just great. I have literally tried every setting and config that I have found but I just can't solve this problem. Has any of you KS8000 owners tackled with issue?

I know the issue you're talking about. I thought the same until I started playing with a low backlight in sdr mode. Playing sdr with a high backlight will make hdr look dull and dim. Only way to really combat the faded/washed hdr picture is to use dynamic contrast but that crushes a lot of picture detail.

A.Romero

I know the issue you're talking about. I thought the same until I started playing with a low backlight in sdr mode. Playing sdr with a high backlight will make hdr look dull and dim. Only way to really combat the faded/washed hdr picture is to use dynamic contrast but that crushes a lot of picture detail.

I have KS9500 and what doesn't make sense to me is that YouTube video content with HDR looks amazing with the same configuration that makes games look washed out.

Last edited:

jonnyXx

hUOFCA6.jpg

v8iApXh.jpg

I have a 1080 Ti and when I turn on HDR the image is very desaturated/washed out just as you describe. In order to get proper colors, once HDR is enabled I have to either change my resolution, the color depth(8, 10, or 12 bit) or the black level (Full or Limited). Making any changes to any of those settings fixes HDR for me.

My usual process is to enable HDR in the Windows display settings and then change my resolution to anything else and just hit "revert" instead of "keep changes" to go back to my native res and then HDR displays fine. I don't know what the culprit is, whether it's Windows, the Nvidia drivers, or the TV, but this method works every time for me. Then when switching back to SDR colors are super oversaturated and I have to repeat the same method to get proper colors in SDR.

thaBootyologist

Neo Member
Just started playing Black Ops 4 on the Pro along with my KS8000. Some of the textures/graphics are blurry as hell. Is it my KS8000 HDMI port or a bad cable? It's not as sharp as I thought a 4K game would be. Anyone else having the same issues?

sol_bad

Hello GAFFers

Do any of you know how to get 1440p working on PC's for this TV? Most games on my laptop only seem to have 1080p or 4k options only.
Is it better to have 1080p or 1440p on a 4K screen? What are your thoughts?
Any help would be appreciated.

A.Romero

Hello GAFFers

Do any of you know how to get 1440p working on PC's for this TV? Most games on my laptop only seem to have 1080p or 4k options only.
Is it better to have 1080p or 1440p on a 4K screen? What are your thoughts?
Any help would be appreciated.

With LCD tech is usually best to have a native resolution image. When that's not possible, the TV will upscale a lower resolution image to the native resolution but it's not as good as rendering natively.

Now the TV has a 16:9 form factor while a PC monitor has a 16:10 monitor unless it's ultra wide screen. It's important to take this into account because for a TV you want something like 1920x1080 while an equivalent resolution for a monitor would be 1920x1200. Displaying the second on a TV looks really bad.

Now, people have different opinions about this but I have found that 1080p scales better to 4k than other resolutions because 2160p is twice as much as 1080p, meaning that it scales in a 4:1 ratio.

So in my experience and for my taste, 1080p is a better resolution than other options when using a native 4k TV like this Samsung.

sol_bad

I tried switching between 1080p and 4k and there wasn't a huge difference so I'll stick to 1080p. Is it the Tv's upscaling that makes 1080p look so good?

How often is it happening to you? I might see it once a week, if that, for a split second.
I've had the TV for about 14 months, it's my main TV and have only seen that twice. I think it's not a big issue.

It happens often enough to me that it's annoying especially when playing PvP in a game. I have a KS9000 btw.

I can't say for sure how many times it would happen a week but I come across it often enough.

Panther84

So I recently bought the luminoodle 6500k bias light off Amazon and have noticed the improvement in contrast. My question is should my bias light be set at max or low? Is there an optimum setting for getting the best result with the ks8000? Some people use the blue light at max brightness while others use true white but very dim. My setup is in a dark room. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

Baro

Neo Member
So I recently bought the luminoodle 6500k bias light off Amazon and have noticed the improvement in contrast. My question is should my bias light be set at max or low? Is there an optimum setting for getting the best result with the ks8000? Some people use the blue light at max brightness while others use true white but very dim. My setup is in a dark room. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!
Great buy and definitely an improvement that everyone should try. I have mine set between the middle and max settings and always white. It depends on how dark your room is. If you only have the light coming from the tv, then the max setting is going to be to much. You can try by turning the luminoodle on and off and seeing if the effect of increased contrast remains.

Panther84

Great buy and definitely an improvement that everyone should try. I have mine set between the middle and max settings and always white. It depends on how dark your room is. If you only have the light coming from the tv, then the max setting is going to be to much. You can try by turning the luminoodle on and off and seeing if the effect of increased contrast remains.

Ya I have it on white and medium setting for now and it still shows improvements in the picture. Thanks for your reply.

MastAndo

Is there any way to get this TV to not default to PC mode when a PC is detected? I have found that setting my PC input to Game Console allows me to access the proper settings so that HDR on my PC doesn't look terrible and washed out. Unfortunately, after every boot, it's right back to PC mode.

A.Romero

Is there any way to get this TV to not default to PC mode when a PC is detected? I have found that setting my PC input to Game Console allows me to access the proper settings so that HDR on my PC doesn't look terrible and washed out. Unfortunately, after every boot, it's right back to PC mode.

There is a key combination but it has never worked for me...

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
rename it to video game or any other thing that isn't a pc?

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Weird. On 7000 this used to change that by renaming it. New firmware?

A.Romero

Weird. On 7000 this used to change that by renaming it. New firmware?

I saw a notification for new firmware last night but didn't notice any changes.

As far as I know, regardless of the name of the input it switches back to PC. Or at least that's what happens to me, I connect devices through a receiver and when I use the Nvidia Shield the TV reads the input as "Receiver" but when I change the input on the receiver to the PC the TV renames it to PC.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
The software automatically seems to be doing it then. The only thing i have set up thru my receiver is the 4k player and that never changes from "receiver". Have you tried it on the tv's hdmi's?

A.Romero

The software automatically seems to be doing it then. The only thing i have set up thru my receiver is the 4k player and that never changes from "receiver". Have you tried it on the tv's hdmi's?

Not so far. Wouldn't like to lose HD audio codec capabilities.

I tried when I got the TV a year and a half ago. I got used to it but if someone finds a way to do it, I'm all for it.

Thanks for replying.

jonnyXx

Input this code using the smart remote.

Mute + Vol Down + Ch Down + Mute

There is no notification when you do it and this is a toggle. If you enter the same code again it will toggle back. So just enter it once and check that it worked, if it didn't then try again.

A.Romero

There is no notification when you do it and this is a toggle. If you enter the same code again it will toggle back. So just enter it once and check that it worked, if it didn't then try again.
Thanks!

I tried it before couldn't get it to work and wanted to try again but couldn't rememeber the combination. I'll try tonight!

Thanks!

MastAndo

I'll give it a shot, thanks!

madjackal

I have the KS8000 (United States) and my OSSC works fine thus far. I have a Saturn hooked up via SCART, HDMI out to TV, optical out to a receiver.

Shai-Tan

Banned
- Model : KS8000, KS800D, KS8500, KS850D, KS9000, KS900D, KS9500, KS950D, KS9800, KS9810, KU7000, KU700D, KU7500, KU750D
- Version : 1240.0
- Improved usability 1. Improved browser performance 2. Improved app performance 3. Improved stability 4. Improved usability of input devices

Pantz

So I've finally decided to give up on HDR and turned it off in the settings for my consoles...

It seems way to inconsistent on a game to game basis. Sometimes it being the games fault for having bad implementation while other times it feels like this TV just doesn't have enough HDR power to pull it off. The number one thing that bothers me is what should be a nice bright blue skybox always seems very dim in comparison to the rest of the world. Might be able to use the settings to get the skybox looking goodish but then other areas will look not so good or if it changes to night time it won't be good anymore for the night.

I'll still turn it on from time to time to see if any new games utilize it really well but, goodbye for now HDR.

Shai-Tan

Banned
Maybe your settings are just wrong? is this with ps4/xbox or is it pc? Because it's easy to get HDR settings wrong with PC (PC label seems to break HDR from what I saw)

edit: also hdr have different settings when it kicks in. you might have a different color profile set - even something as basic as having warm2 loaded vs standard/cool/whatever? Double check everything relevant

Last edited:

Poordevil

So I've finally decided to give up on HDR and turned it off in the settings for my consoles...

It seems way to inconsistent on a game to game basis. Sometimes it being the games fault for having bad implementation while other times it feels like this TV just doesn't have enough HDR power to pull it off. The number one thing that bothers me is what should be a nice bright blue skybox always seems very dim in comparison to the rest of the world. Might be able to use the settings to get the skybox looking goodish but then other areas will look not so good or if it changes to night time it won't be good anymore for the night.

I'll still turn it on from time to time to see if any new games utilize it really well but, goodbye for now HDR.
I have a Sony 49 inch X900E and I am not a huge fan of HDR either. It's inconsistent. It helps with some games like HorizonZD and Witcher 3. But Monster Hunter World looks much better with HDR disabled. Does HDR have a standard? If it does it needs to be dialed in. Maybe next gen consoles will do better.

Fake

We're basically beta testing HDR on games. The last Digital Foundry spoke of how bad implementation of HDR are so common those days.

I finally found the correct calibration for my 4k UN40JU6000G using some calibration sites to do so.

thaBootyologist

Neo Member
It should have installed automatically by now if internet is set up on the tv so I'm guessing it's fine (I pasted release notes above)

I’ve had the automatic update option turned off since installing 1233 and still have 1233 installed. Thanks for the update notes but I was seeing what kind of experience others have had with the newest update. Also I have a feeling Samsung may have tweaked the picture quality without mentioning it.

MilkyJoe

HDR on my KS7000 (UK 8000) is perfectly fine. Sea of Thieves is absolutely stunning, Try plugging your console into a different HDMI port and then re-set it up for game

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
HDR on my KS7000 (UK 8000) is perfectly fine. Sea of Thieves is absolutely stunning, Try plugging your console into a different HDMI port and then re-set it up for game
Doesn't the KS7000 only have high dynamic range on HDMI port 1? The ps4/bd player AND tv settings tells me so.

Top Bottom