• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KS8000 settings for gaming at 4k/HDR

These are easy questions, amidst a labyrinth of subjective squinting while guessing and checking.

1. How can I tell what resolution I'm streaming at? Is there a button? Or an option through YouTube, Netflix or amazon? I want to watch the grand tour as everyone says it looks lovely in HDR and 4k but I don't even know if it's getting above 1080 (looks nice and my internet should be good enough)
The '123' button on the top left of the remote will bring up a number pad as well as an on-screen 'i' button that you can use to tell what resolution you're at, as well as if HDR mode is on or not.

2. Will the Tv know if a program, show or whatever is HDR And turn it on or I have to flick that on? Is standard HDR settings enough or should I up the brightness as some have suggested?
The TV will automatically enter an HDR mode and crank the backlight up to max when HDR content is playing.

Two things to note: Netflix and Youtube don't support HDR on the PS4 Pro, so just use the apps on your tv if you want to watch 'The Crown' or a quick 'LG chess demo' on youtube to show off your set.

There is a bane of a bug in Game Mode where it does not manually change the backlight, which is what you have have seen mentioned many times in this thread as something we're all hoping gets patched. That is where people suggest manually turning up the backlight, once HDR in a game is enabled.

3. With the Xbox one s and the PS4 pro soon, I know some Xbox games for example have HDR like forza horizon 3. Should I turn on game mode or HDR mode or how does this work?
HDR will be automatic in the games (theoretically) if your console's system settings are correct, and you enable HDR in the game options.

Game mode is personally recommended because it greatly reduces input lag, but you have to contend with the bug where you have to manually turn up the backlight. On a long enough timeline, if a patch never comes, most games might support HDR, and you can just leave it on. Until then, backlight 20 on SDR content will make your eyes burn.

NOTE that you can see a "HDR+" mode in the same menu as game mode, and just completely ignore that. It's a simulated HDR mode for SDR content, and it just makes everything more confusing being stuck where it is.

Thank you- yeah that HDR plus mode is what I thought was HDR mode... dear lord that's confusing!!

Thank you so much you just explained that in much better terms than many :)

chaosaeon

I'm finding HDR+ very effective at making PS3 games look better. I start with HDR+ enabled, make sure in game brightness is default so the TV settings will be neutral for all games, then adjust from there. HDR+ definitely has its uses.

Shai-Tan

Banned
I used HDR+ in Abzu and Journey but it made some other "SDR" games look a lot worse (and the input lag was more relevant there)

MrTexor

I'm getting mixed messages from different forums/posts...

While displaying HDR, brightness should be at max. And while displaying SDR it should be way lower, like lets say 6?

quick quesiton about the back panel separating on this tv. If i'm going to mount this tv kind of high in my living room, is there any danger that the tv could completely separate from the mount and fall down? My 3 year old is kind of unpredictable so I wouldn't want to risk the tv falling on her at all.

trying to decide on a 65" between this, the x930d and the vizip p

been really going back and forth between the vizio and the ks8000 (input lag is not really an issue for me as I mostly don't notice those things or play super competitively any more.

been reading a lot about the settings though.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I'm getting mixed messages from different forums/posts...

While displaying HDR, brightness should be at max. And while displaying SDR it should be way lower, like lets say 6?

no, not brightness. blacklight should be max. 20. brightness should be around 50 at all times.

Orayn

Backlight is flexible for SDR content, use whatever looks good to you in your current lighting conditions. I favor around 10.

quick quesiton about the back panel separating on this tv. If i'm going to mount this tv kind of high in my living room, is there any danger that the tv could completely separate from the mount and fall down? My 3 year old is kind of unpredictable so I wouldn't want to risk the tv falling on her at all.

trying to decide on a 65" between this, the x930d and the vizip p

been really going back and forth between the vizio and the ks8000 (input lag is not really an issue for me as I mostly don't notice those things or play super competitively any more.

been reading a lot about the settings though.

You really shouldn't worry about it. The back panel seperation is definitely an issue in some sets as illustrated in this vid https://youtu.be/4ZUiZrSyPOM

But should you wall mount your TV it should not be a problem because the screws would be "screwed" to the TV itself and not solely the back panel. So should the back panel begin to separate or your little tyke forcefully knock something over, it won't be the back panel which will cause it to topple over.

chaosaeon

I used HDR+ in Abzu and Journey but it made some other "SDR" games look a lot worse (and the input lag was more relevant there)

I was testing some settings based around HDR+ and using very odd levels like Black Level low but brightness turned up higher, and so far Uncharted 2, Mass Effect 1, and Infamous 2/Festival of Blood are looking better this way (though Mass Effect 1 on PS3 always looks a little washed out). Also for some reason sharpness on PS3 games doesn't seem to worsen any aliasing until super high, (the aliasing is always there either way) so I've been able to have it around 55-60 and it has the same amount of aliasing but sharpens textures when combined with the Clean setting set to auto.

N1tr0sOx1d3

Given another chance
Hi Gaf,
After 2 full days of audio testing my findings are that there is around 100ms of audio delay when you enable HDMI Audio Format: Bitstream in GAME MODE!!!

Other people seem to be experiencing the same issue:
https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/TVs/Audio-lag-on-new-Samsung-KS8000/td-p/42197

My Sony BDV-7200W only accepts PCM 2.0 signal over ARC HDMI. Dolby Digital and DTS are 5.1 via bitstream ARC HDMI.

I've gone through every possible combination on PS4, TV and Sony Audio System.

When game mode is disabled no audio lag HDMI

Audio Delay on TV only lengthens the delay not shorten it.

As of now I have a fantastic image, great surround sound albeit 100ms late.

The killer here is the delay is also present through the TV speakers if you turn off the audio system.

The PS4 is hooked straight to the TV.

etta

my hard graphic balls
So was the successor to this TV announced at CES?
Because it seems Sony won't have an X800E, they have the X930D successor which is more expensive.
Also it seems Samsung wants to release their 2017 lineup in March? Which would be sooner than what Sony did last year when their TVs ended up on the shelves in May/June. So that might push me to get a Samsung instead.

Button

Banned
All the processing power in these modern TVs and the settings and UIs are a complete mess. Especially with HDR now requiring a lot of tuning, it's a horrible experinece for me. And how is the compatibility so shit? If I plug my premium TV to a PS4 you'd appreciate some level of synchronization and automatic settings but no! PS4 is only the most popular console right now and probably sold thousands of these TVs...

Next TV I buy will be decided by ease of use. Should make a thread about this and raise awareness, but I can't.

Mideon

All the processing power in these modern TVs and the settings and UIs are a complete mess. Especially with HDR now requiring a lot of tuning, it's a horrible experinece for me. And how is the compatibility so shit? If I plug my premium TV to a PS4 you'd appreciate some level of synchronization and automatic settings but no! PS4 is only the most popular console right now and probably sold thousands of these TVs...

Next TV I buy will be decided by ease of use. Should make a thread about this and raise awareness, but I can't.
Agreed 100% last TV I had a Panny Plasma just plug and play this thing requires going into the settings every 5 minutes it's a joke.

ChefWycoon

Neo Member
Hi Gaf,
After 2 full days of audio testing my findings are that there is around 100ms of audio delay when you enable HDMI Audio Format: Bitstream in GAME MODE!!!

https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/TVs/Audio-lag-on-new-Samsung-KS8000/td-p/42197

My Sony BDV-7200W only accepts PCM 2.0 signal over ARC HDMI. Dolby Digital and DTS are 5.1 via bitstream ARC HDMI.

The killer here is the delay is also present through the TV speakers if you turn off the audio system.

Changing the audio delay setting doesn't do anything? For me, audio delay was set to 80 ms, which I then changed to 0 ms, then 20 ms.

EDIT: I actually didn't find a difference with changing the audio delay setting. I was using the TV's speakers. The audio delay setting might be for external speakers.

Good gawd, so true.

I hope on my deathbed I can finally buy a TV (or hologram-immerser or whatever), game system, receiver, and have it work without a weekend worth of headaches and feeling like it's fragile balance of settings will collapse the next time a firmware update comes out.

And then maybe my children's children will love long enough for their Google Home or Alexa, so they can just say "Okay Google, turn on Playstation" without having to pick up four different remotes.

dmann

Anyone having issues using Universal Media Server or the Plex App on this tv?

Any MP4 movie playback using UMS or Plex freezes after 5 - 10 minutes on my set; however it works fine if I stream it with the same apps on PS3/PS4. I would prefer to stop using my PS3/PS4 to stream movies from my DLNA PC server and would like to stream it directly to the tv without it freezing. I've updated the firmware on the tv and all the apps. Any ideas?

precocial

Neo Member
Has anyone had problems with the TV blinking on and off when hooked to a PC? I can't seem to pin down what is causing this. I've replaced the HDMI cable, trying various settings on and off. Doesn't happen with my XBO or PS4.

Do you by chance have a Chromecast powered by the USB port on the One Connect?

I had the blinking issue too when I was connected to my PC however the blinking problem only arisen after I had my Chromecast plugged in.

I have the PS4 on HDMI 1, PC on HDMI 2, and the Chromecast on HDMI 4.
The Chromecast was powered by the USB port.

Once I removed the Chromecast, the blinking issue stopped.

N1tr0sOx1d3

Given another chance
Changing the audio delay setting doesn't do anything? For me, audio delay was set to 80 ms, which I then changed to 0 ms, then 20 ms.

EDIT: I actually didn't find a difference with changing the audio delay setting. I was using the TV's speakers. The audio delay setting might be for external speakers.

With me, all audio delay does is add to the delay.

Ive set it at 0 and it currently sits at around 100ms audio lag. If it increase this number audio lag increases.

Its strange as outside of game mode there is no lag. You'd think the opposite.

The way i noticed the lag was to watch Angry Joe' best games 2016 opening sequence. His mouth is clearly out of sync with the audio in youtube app. And no its not the app. Playing battlefield 4 the sound is behind the actual gun shots.

Button

Banned
Sounds like the TV business needs its iPhone moment.

It wouldn't even need that much of innovation. How hard is it to make a setting that asks "do you want optimal settings for your PS4 that you just plugged in?"

TV manufacturers need to co-operate more with the device manufacturers their TVs are used with!

Good gawd, so true.

I hope on my deathbed I can finally buy a TV (or hologram-immerser or whatever), game system, receiver, and have it work without a weekend worth of headaches and feeling like it's fragile balance of settings will collapse the next time a firmware update comes out.

And then maybe my children's children will love long enough for their Google Home or Alexa, so they can just say "Okay Google, turn on Playstation" without having to pick up four different remotes.
Now that's the sci-fi I want!

Carnby

I think many of us are over thinking and making too much out of the banding and wavy lines we are seeing in our KS8000s. Its normal to see. In fact, I'm looking at an LG SUHD and SONY X930D on display at Best Buy and it's doing the same exact thing as my KS8000. The 4000 dollar OLED TV on display isn't doing it. I guess its a symptom of the affordable 4k TV in 2017.

ss_lemonade

I think many of us are over thinking and making too much out of the banding and wavy lines we are seeing in our KS8000s. Its normal to see. In fact, I'm looking at an LG SUHD and SONY X930D on display at Best Buy and it's doing the same exact thing as my KS8000. The 4000 dollar OLED TV on display isn't doing it. I guess its a symptom of the affordable 4k TV in 2017.
I think the biggest issue with all these new TVs is knowing whether you have the correct RGB setting or not, especially when auto detection could fail for some reason (not sure if it's the TV's fault or the console's). I bet a lot of people have the wrong setting and don't even notice.

N1tr0sOx1d3

Given another chance

I have to agree with this. I too was nitpicking when i first bought the TV no idea why. But now i realise that i need to keep my expectations in check. Most if not all Tvs at this point have similar issues.

Insane Metal

Gold Member
I tried to find that post in this very thread where a user gives hints on how to better calibrate your set but couldn't find it... can anyone help me? Need to show that to a friend.

This poster showed how to calibrate using the 2 point, and said to stay away from 10 pt if you don't have professional tools...

EDIT

Found it! http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=227125650&postcount=4157

I used this post and the end result was nothing short of FANTASTIC.

I tried to find that post in this very thread where a user gives hints on how to better calibrate your set but couldn't find it... can anyone help me? Need to show that to a friend.

This poster showed how to calibrate using the 2 point, and said to stay away from 10 pt if you don't have professional tools...

EDIT

thanks

Ive been waiting ever since the 1160 became available online for it to appear on the TV as an update available(Im in the US) and still nothing, still says no new update..how long does it usually take to appear on the TV?

Ive been waiting ever since the 1160 became available online for it to appear on the TV as an update available(Im in the US) and still nothing, still says no new update..how long does it usually take to appear on the TV?

Maybe I missed it but I cant seem to find it....What are the update notes for 1160.6?

Rbk_3

Does it finally add an extra HDR preset for Game mode?

I am finally at the point where I am just enjoying the TV and not reading ever post in the AVS thread and on here :)

Good gawd, so true.

Kinect does this already and I love it. The smart view app is handy as everyone in the household has a remote.

Maybe I missed it but I cant seem to find it....What are the update notes for 1160.6?

Well its available on Samsung's site for download but on the TV itself I am on 1155 and it says there is no update and its already been almost a week not sure when they actually update it so that I can download it directly off the TV

Good gawd, so true.

Man, I am so tired of adjusting my settings, tbh. I keep fixating on it, thinking I've got it right only for it look wrong on another movie or game. Then realize I accidentally turned something off or on hours ago, and that was the problem the whole time etc. Half of the initial struggle was just trying to intuit if something is how it's supposed to look without a pre-existing reference point for 4K and HDR.

I think this is it though. I have my blu ray player side locked in. I have my game side locked in with two different settings, one for Movie for when my eyes are overloaded or I want better HDR yields, and one for Game Mode when I just want everything to pop and feel 100% smooth. Easy switching. Also put everything on a word doc so I can put the same values back in, since there's been a couple times where a software bug would mess up the input switching and names, so I'd have to reset the TV to fix it.

Whatever. Still worth it, but damn. I don't know how people less obsessed are going to deal with this jump, until newer hardware/software just does it for them.

Blizzje

So I'm confused. Does having it in this setting lower the quality of picture? I'd hate to think that I got this TV for PS4 Pro and it doesn't even work properly. It's been an absolute nightmare.

I've switched between RGB and YUV420 for SDR games a bunch of times on different games, but I can't see any difference between the settings.
If there is a difference, it is so minor you won't be able to see it. Normally I see everything from light bleed to dead pixels, banding, you name it (a curse for sure), but I can't see a difference.

So, although theoretically there may be a difference (is there?), I don't see it and have had my console on YUV. No black screens anymore.

Still have the RGB separation issue though, so it may be time to invest in a different HDMI cable.

I've switched between RGB and YUV420 for SDR games a bunch of times on different games, but I can't see any difference between the settings.
If there is a difference, it is so minor you won't be able to see it. Normally I see everything from light bleed to dead pixels, banding, you name it (a curse for sure), but I can't see a difference.

So, although theoretically there may be a difference (is there?), I don't see it and have had my console on YUV. No black screens anymore.

Still have the RGB separation issue though, so it may be time to invest in a different HDMI cable.

The difference is that chroma is half resolution (on each dimension) while luminance is full res. Think of it as breaking an image into two halves. A greyscale version of it and a flat colour version. The greyscale would be full 4K and the flat colour would be 1080p. Our eyes are a LOT more sensitive to the luminance (greyscale) part so it doesn't make a big difference, with the advantage that it uses much less bandwidth. Video encoding uses the same principle to both reduce resolution and more aggressively compress the chroma and preserve as much as possible of the luminance.

Rongolian

Banned
My backlight is always at 20, but I still get a subsequently brighter image for each level of Dynamic Contrast.

I love the pop of High, and Medium seems like it retains a natural color range better, but Off is the only way I get full clarity and color and black range on 4K blurays and the best IQ I can for most games. High crushes blacks, sometimes blurs details, and will render something like fire effects with noticeable less range (very discernible on Batman Vs Superman's opening Metropolis destruction scene).

The trade off is that it seems less bright and punchy. The best of both worlds would be nice, and anything possible is welcome. I feel like I should be able to increase backlight intensity to what High displays, but still retain the black levels, color range and detail of Off. Of course, if black range is created by screen brightness, full backlight might always cut into that, and if color range benefits from not having the low end raised up to accommodate the high end, it may be unavoidable for where/when we bought into 4K.

Sorry I keep referencing movies in a gaming focused thread, but this is all new territory for me and calibrating for both is what's been helping me nail things down and notice what the same drawbacks.

I'm very surprised this hasn't been discussed more. When viewing HDR content, the "Dynamic Contrast" option is obviously controlling more than it does when viewing SDR content. The difference in backlight is very significant.

mario_O

Yep, 'Dynamic Contrast' pushes the backlight beyond 20. I like to use it in some movies where the HDR effect is too subtle.I set it to 'Low', and it gives me that extra bump in light without sacrificing IQ, at least not that I can tell. 'Medium' and 'High' is too much and burns the image.

I'm still using it, just balancing around it. It really works wonders despite some of it's drawbacks. Sometimes things just get hard on the eyes trying to make sure you can 100% see the HDR you paid for, after a few hours of play.

Would be amazing if the TV had the capability to save a library of profiles for specific pieces of media. Auto detect for that many things would be asking too much, but if it was convenient to access and manually switch to whatever, without messing up whatever baseline settings you have with experimentation and forgetting what you started with etc... that'd be nice quality of life improvement.

Also, damn it would be nice it the settings menu could be fully transparent, or if Game Mode was just in the "Dynamic/Standard/Natural/Movie" menu.

dcx4610

Backlight is completely subjective. It does not have to be 20 for HDR to work. The brighter the backlight the bigger pop you will get out of HDR but setting it to something like 10 isn't going to keep you from seeing HDR. 20 is recommended for best results but may be too bright for certain environments.

madjackal

Hi Gaf,

Any updates on the audio lag issue? Minor annoyance but it'd be nice to get a patch.

Backlight is completely subjective. It does not have to be 20 for HDR to work. The brighter the backlight the bigger pop you will get out of HDR but setting it to something like 10 isn't going to keep you from seeing HDR. 20 is recommended for best results but may be too bright for certain environments.

For sure, but trying to determine if things are working in the first place and looking how it should, when it's all new to me, was hard to do within a subtle range. I tried to nail things down at a visible extreme where there was no mistaking if I was even seeing a difference, then taper it down from there for something more natural or more for IQ a bit here and there. That helped me figure out what things even do.

Something like FFXV was straight up visibly ON/OFF when you turn on it's internal HDR setting, but then Uncharted 4 was more subtle. Then adjusting up some for Uncharted 4 in a way that still works for FFXV, will make Last Guardian look completely oversaturated and overblown.

EDIT

This is a godsend.

VicViper

Hi Gaf,

Does the delay also occur when using the optical audio out from the TV?

Top Bottom