• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kyoto Animation Arsonist Sentenced To Death

Draugoth

Gold Member
Webp.net-resizeimage-3-10.jpg
Shinji Aoba, the arsonist behind the Kyoto Animation fire which took place in July 2019, was given the death penalty by presiding judge Keisuke Matsuda on Jan 25, 2023.

Source

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Deserved.

Also, this may be the Southerner in me, but I can't picture Japanese death penalty as anything other than decapitation with a katana in a court.

Paltheos

This happened all because the arsonist wanted to be a novelist and thought that Kyoani had stolen his ideas. It was a premeditated crime carried out after the man had studied past, criminal cases of arson and he had another plot that he didn't carry out.

I'm not particularly opposed to the death penalty (I just don't have a strong opinion on it), but one thing I don't agree with and just learned of in the AP article I linked is not informing prisoners of their execution date until the morning of, as that seems needlessly cruel.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
I'm not appreciating arson, I'm just saying any fire can spread so damn fast and people really underestimate how fast it can spread. Especially when you a volatile accelerate like gasoline.
You'd probably stick around to watch the house burn down.

Last edited:

Tams

Not sure what to make of this. The at the very least should never be free.

But really this had been a failure of Japanese society.
  • His poor mental state wasn't picked up on.
  • His grievances, fair or not, were not properly answered.
  • The building's safety and escape route design was poor.
  • The adherence and deference to seniors, and lack of using one's own intuition.
  • Not telling someone that they are to executed until the morning of it is cruel.
Nothing will be learnt from this.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Wikipage of the incident. Not surprisingly, the suspect had a prior record.

Aoba had a prior criminal history and was known to suffer from mental illness. In 2012, he robbed a convenience store with a knife in Ibaraki Prefecture and was subsequently jailed for three-and-a-half years.[97][98] It was speculated after the attack that Aoba's mental illness may reduce his maximum penalty for the attack from a death sentence to life imprisonment.[99]

The Stig

After reading the title I was ready to storm in thinking Japan is insane because they value anime more than human life then............

36 people.

Ah.

OK.

Shit

Overall I'm against the death penalty but sometimes there are cases that make me reconsider. Much like that bloke who drove through a parade in Wisconsin

Last edited:
Top Bottom