• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

l4d3? (Source 2 reveal)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sibylus

Banned
pyGhUZj.png

Their time has come.
midnight_riders_poster.jpg

Been saying it for years!

hellocld

If Source 2 can showcase levels like this, what sort of improvements to character models and animation do you think it'll have? :O

EVIL

If Source 2 can showcase levels like this, what sort of improvements to character models and animation do you think it'll have? :O

The characters in l4d1 and 2 are already pretty great, especially facial animations. It was one of valves strengths, and I think they can raise the bar again.

Exuro

The characters in l4d1 and 2 are already pretty great, especially facial animations. It was one of valves strengths, and I think they can raise the bar again.
Yeah L4D2 already had fairly impressive models. I'm hoping they have some new facial tech that will impress us like alyx did back in the day.

Amir0x

Banned
So far how legit is this looking?

I'll take the fuck out of L4D3 please

Edit: Wait, CRAZY posted this!? I didn't even notice who the OP was. Oh shit!

Amir0x

Banned
TEH fuk s worgn wit hu

wouldn't really be surprising, L4D1 and 2 were both 360/PC. Why would MS not see the success and want L4D3 for XB1/PC?

Good thing I have a gaming level PC now, because that'd be my weak point for massive damage. I played no game more than L4D on 360 last gen. Well over five hundred hours on each L4D.

The existence of Source 2 and Left 4 Dead 3 is relatively old hat, since that's been leaked from Valve a few months back. That said, this is the first time that we have an indication of what graphically to expect with Source 2.

How so? what's the story there? They had two highly successful games with L4D1 and 2, did I miss something?

Mainly to do with Microsoft requiring Valve to charge for L4D DLC, plus the whole Windows 8 thing. That said, I would be surprised if L4D 3 doesn't appear on the Xbone. That said, L4D 3 is definitely, definitely, definitely going to appear on the PS4, and no amount of Microsoft moneyhats will stop that.

TimFL

wouldn't really be surprising, L4D1 and 2 were both 360/PC. Why would MS not see the success and want L4D3 for XB1/PC?

Good thing I have a gaming level PC now, because that'd be my weak point for massive damage. I played no game more than L4D on 360 last gen. Well over five hundred hours on each L4D.

It would be surprising. Valve didn't release L4D/2 on PS3 because Gaben hated the console back then. He has since then changed his mind and released Portal 2 on the PS3. No reason to assume we wont see other future Valve titles on Microsoft platforms only.

KarmaCow

How so? what's the story there? They had two highly successful games with L4D1 and 2, did I miss something?

Unless I'm missing something bigger beyond general Windows 8 distrust, Valve had trouble trying to bring 360 releases the new maps from the PC versions because of the no free DLC nonsense. Hardly something that is irrevocable.

Amir0x

Banned
Oh yeah I remember that now. I'm sure if Valve was making motions to give PS4 some love, MS would accommodate. They know every game counts this gen.

BONKERS

I wonder if they will fix Source's LoD pop-in/streaming issues.

Aliasing could use some work too (Even with the best forms of AA, Source still leaves some behind that can be distracting)

Will it be OGL only? Or OGL+D3D on windows? (OGL could affect Aliasing, since it would all entirely be in the hands of Valve. Nvidia doesn't have great AA support for OGL)

Looks pretty good though.

Branduil

Oh yeah I remember that now. I'm sure if Valve was making motions to give PS4 some love, MS would accommodate. They know every game counts this gen.

Microsoft is not going to moneyhat Valve enough to make up for not having L4D3 on the PS4.

Amir0x

Banned
Microsoft is not going to moneyhat Valve enough to make up for not having L4D3 on the PS4.

No no, I mean if say Valve was really soured on MS last gen, and they were looking to for example give PS4 something extra, Microsoft would make sure to change their policy for Valve so that they got whatever it was too

Azsori

Wonder if that's a sign of destruction playing a big part in Source 2

With the latest screenshot just shown, there looks to be furniture and other assets that would be in the 2nd floor room out on the front lawn. It seems possible like the tank could do this type of damage inside the Mansion.

Maybe this is a sign that Source 2 meets or exceeds Frostbite 3 level destruction?

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
No no, I mean if say Valve was really soured on MS last gen, and they were looking to for example give PS4 something extra, Microsoft would make sure to change their policy for Valve so that they got whatever it was too

I dunno, this game is not Gears of War, Halo, Fable or Forza, I'm not sure MS care about it

I wonder if they will fix Source's LoD pop-in/streaming issues.

Aliasing could use some work too (Even with the best forms of AA, Source still leaves some behind that can be distracting)

Will it be OGL only? Or OGL+D3D on windows? (OGL could affect Aliasing, since it would all entirely be in the hands of Valve. Nvidia doesn't have great AA support for OGL)

Looks pretty good though.

I am pretty sure it was said during SteamDevDays that Source 2 will be OpenGL only on Windows.

Valve had problems with Microsoft's counter productive and shitty policies for verifying DLC and not allowing developers to self-publish patches, making users have to wait weeks to get the update/DLC, along with not allowing Valve to give away DLC for free because "Any DLC with Achievements can not be free". Fucking bullcrap. Xbox users had to pay $7 for The Passing, and The Sacrifice while PC user got them for free. Valve got frustrated with Microsoft because of that. It actually got to the point where Valve announced DLC for Xbox 360, and it would come out months after because... fuck Microsoft.

Amir0x

Banned
Valve had problems with Microsoft's counter productive and shitty policies for verifying DLC and not allowing developers to self-publish patches, making users have to wait weeks to get the update/DLC, along with not allowing Valve to give away DLC for free because "Any DLC with Achievements can not be free". Fucking bullcrap. Xbox users had to pay $7 for The Passing, and The Sacrifice while PC user got them for free. Valve got frustrated with Microsoft because of that. It actually got to the point where Valve announced DLC for Xbox 360, and it would come out months after because... fuck Microsoft.

Speedy Blue Dude: "Fuck Microsoft."

Man! ;)

But seriously, do they have such a policy in place now? I think they changed some of this stuff for XBO, no?

Silky

Banned

Let the hate flow through you, my son

Orayn

This looks like a painted over screenshot, a process Valve is known for...sort of like a pseudo concept/screenshot
EDIT: I will eat my hat though if that isnt manipulated in anyway....just sort of jarring with the l4d asset in the foreground and the hi res asset in the back

How does that look painted over? I just see a well composed scene with good lighting tech. It's comparable to what we've seen from Unreal 4 and the most recent iterations of CryEngine, maybe a little cleaner due to the lack of chromatic aberration. (At least that we can see.)

Speedy Blue Dude: "Fuck Microsoft."

Man! ;)

But seriously, do they have such a policy in place now? I think they changed some of this stuff for XBO, no?

It was a very hard time waiting for L4D2 DLC to come out on Xbox 360. Was the first time I learned what Valve Time was.

Let's see:

The Passing Announced Launch Date (by Valve) - March 31st
The Passing's Release Date (Delayed by Microsoft) - April 22nd

The Sacrifice's Announced Launch Date (By Valve) - October 4th
The Sacrifice's Release Date (Delayed by Microsoft) - October 5th (this one wasn't as bad)

Cold Stream's Announced Launch Date (By Valve) - July 24th
Cold Stream's Release Date (Delayed by Microsoft) - August 3rd

Was really annoying. I know Microsoft got rid of the "Verification" and "no self publishing rules", but I'm not sure if they got rid of the "No Free DLC" rule.

Oh, reminds me, Valve also had to pay $40,000 for every DLC update they sent out, or patch update (this is also gone now, but the damage was done). It's not a surprise Valve is favoring Sony now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom