• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lady Gaga BORN THIS WAY Album |OT| Thread of Unicorns and Motorcycles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dartastic

Combichristoffersen said:
Should've been this guy playing the sax

7.gif
It's even better, cause it's this guy. Like, it actually is this guy. I don't think you get more boss than having the Boss's sax player play sax.

Clarence%20and%20Bruce%20Art_P011b.jpg

DECK'ARD said:
Gaga does Kelly Clarkson's My Life Would Suck Without You.
That's what it instantly reminded me of too. The first "I'm on the edge" of the chorus pretty much sounds like "Cos we belong". And after the chorus I keep expecting it to go "I'm on the edge (the edge), the edge (the edge), the edge (the eeeedge)... My life (my life) would suck (would suck) without you."

To clarify: I'm not saying Gaga is a hack or copying or anything of the sort. I hear tiny resemblances between parts of songs pretty much on a daily basis.

OchreHand

Wow, I'm loving Edge. It reminds me when I was younger and listening to the radio station when all those big stadium anthem songs came on.

And nobody can deny there's a shit ton of variety so far, how do you go from Judas to this? She's crazy. Awesomely crazy. :D

Souldriver said:
You have to take people at face value, and believe them when they say they like or dislike a song. That goes both ways btw, think about the "haters gonna hate" meme.
My point/intent was trying to bridge the gap between the two "sides" and have actual discussion.

I'm aware that people like the music. That's cool. I'm not trying to tell people to not have an opinion.
Just don't be surprised when people don't like it.

The three songs (BTW, Judas, and EOG) are not digestible to mainsteam audiences.
They don't really have a hook to them nor are they complex/diverse enough to hold the attention of music connoisseurs.

Nemesis_

HAIR will be the second promotional single, and will be released on May 16th.

The album has also apparently been moved up a day to May 22nd.

andymcc

Banned
Buckethead said:
She's simply squandering that talent and hiding behind gimmick.

her image and music would compliment one another if her music was similarly outrageous. instead, it sounds like most other like-minded pop artists to me.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
This song certainly didn't light my ass on fire, though I liked the 80's feel.

I wish she'd stop overproducing songs that could benefit from being given some breathing room. Bring on Friday.

edit : Why did I thinkt his album was out on Friday? haha. Oh well, another week.

JackEtc

Nemesis556 said:
HAIR will be the second promotional single, and will be released on May 16th.

The album has also apparently been moved up a day to May 22nd.
THATS IN A WEEK!!!

Hype!!!!!!!!!!!!

julls said:
This song certainly didn't light my ass on fire, though I liked the 80's feel.

I wish she'd stop overproducing songs that could benefit from being given some breathing room. Bring on Friday.
Yeah, it's way overproduced. It would have been better if the background track were more like Speechless.

Koodo

Banned
I first heard Edge of Glory through my iPhone's speaker shoved in my ear when I got a wifi signal in some outlet mall in Orlando. Needless to say, I didn't think much of the song.

Now that I heard it with headphones, omg I LAHV IT, though that sax seems awfully out of place and it does give me Celine Dion vibes like Leona mentioned. Still, I'm such a sucker for these anthems and this one has such a magical feel to it. Should be a fantastic "ending" to the album.

Also, lovely OP. <3

Alot of my gay friends on facebook seem to really like Edge of Glory. A better response than Judas and way less vitriol than BTW.

Koodo said:
I first heard Edge of Glory through my iPhone's speaker shoved in my ear when I got a wifi signal in some outlet mall in Orlando. Needless to say, I didn't think much of the song.

Now that I heard it with headphones, omg I LAHV IT, though that sax seems awfully out of place and it does give me Celine Dion vibes like Leona mentioned. Still, I'm such a sucker for these anthems and this one has such a magical feel to it. Should be a fantastic "ending" to the album.

Also, lovely OP. <3
I didn't know Koodo is in Orlando too! We should have a GaGAF Orlando meetup!

Mau ®

I love Edge of Glory.

It redeems the Born This Way project for me. Although I love BTW now after watching her perform it at the Monster Ball a few days ago.

Judas I cant stand and probably never will though

Vomiaouaf

Sol.. said:
*sigh* one day she'll work with stuart price and my world will be shattered. It's only a matter of time.

This man speaks the truth. It's bound to happen. She could use some classier production work.

I lahv lahv lahv The Edge of Glory. Her voice is fantastic. I like when she sings "another shot before we kiss the other side, I'm on the edge of something we call life tonight"

But.. Is it just me or does she say "pull down the shades cause I'll be dancin' in the flames tonight" and then "it isn't hell if everybody knows my name"?

Or am I just hearing things? lol

7echnicolor said:
I lahv lahv lahv The Edge of Glory. Her voice is fantastic. I like when she sings "another shot before we kiss the other side, I'm on the edge of something we call life tonight"

But.. Is it just me or does she say "pull down the shades cause I'll be dancin' in the flames tonight" and then "it isn't hell if everybody knows my name"?

That's what I'm hearing too. The latter line took longer to decipher coz she says it with that typical Gaga twinge. I guess it means she's in heaven coz she's with friends/family. Cute.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
7echnicolor said:

She's defenitiely saying 'dancing in the flames', but I'm not sure about that other line.

Soulscribe said:
That's what I'm hearing too. The latter line took longer to decipher coz she says it with that typical Gaga twinge. I guess it means she's in heaven coz she's with friends/family. Cute.
Ah. So that's what it means! Good idea. That's really sweet.

Like.. She's not in hell cause everyone knows her name, so she must be in heaven with her friends/family.

The dancing in the flames part doesn't make much sense though.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
Soulscribe said:

It could also mean that she is in hell but how can it be hell when she is reunited with her love ones(who are in hell too).

Puddles

Banned
Paco said:
Name a few.

I was about to get into list wars, but it occurred to me just now that it's irrelevant. Gaga does a combination of dance and pop that not a lot of artists are doing right now. If you really like THAT combination, then Gaga is pretty good.

Better dance music: just about anything that the best electronica artists are doing right now.

Female singers I think are putting out much better music: too many to name.

But they aren't doing that specific combination, so it would be useless to recommend anyone, as Gaga is working in a sparsely populated sub-genre that these others don't fit into.

Ollie Pooch

The more i listen to this song the more I can appreciate the sentiment behind it, it's sweet - I'm listening at work and the line "another shot before we kiss the other side" made me a little emotional. LOL. What a loser.

Nemesis_

I feel obliged to love EVERYTHING since I created the OP but unfortunately I really am not meshing well with Edge at all. It's just a little bit too cheesy for my liking.

For what it's worth, thus far I feel this way

Government Hooker > Judas > Born This Way > Americano > Edge of Glory

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Puddles said:
Better dance music: just about anything that the best electronica artists are doing right now.

Alternately, you could've also posted a picture of Sweden and won every aspect of the argument in one fell swoop.

Puddles said:
I was about to get into list wars, but it occurred to me just now that it's irrelevant. Gaga does a combination of dance and pop that not a lot of artists are doing right now. If you really like THAT combination, then Gaga is pretty good.

But they aren't doing that specific combination, so it would be useless to recommend anyone, as Gaga is working in a sparsely populated sub-genre that these others don't fit into.
This is one of the most fantastic bitching-outs I have ever seen in my life.

Ollie Pooch

Puddles said:
Of course there are heaps of artists doing far more challenging and creative music. But that's part of her appeal, for me - she's my go-to artist for fun electro pop stuff. She's not pushing any boundaries musically, but I like that she's dependable for that genre of music - the big, massively produced singalong pop/dance song with a bit of an edge production-wise and spectacle to match.

I’m liking The Edge of Glory. Her vocals are fantastic in it......really nice.

And I can't stop watching the Judas music video. One of her best videos!

ilikeme

Cosmic Bus said:
Alternately, you could've also posted a picture of Sweden and won every aspect of the argument in one fell swoop.
Naw, I feel like I'm missing out on the music from my own country. Would YOU like to maybe not start a list war but just mention something? Cause I feel like I'm missing out! (except for Robyn/Lykke/Fever Ray)

Edge of Glory is such a fun song, but I wonder how different the new tour will be.. I mean how does Edge of Glory LOOK? The images I get in my head.. they're awful :D and awesome, at the same time haha

Ollie Pooch

ilikeme said:
Naw, I feel like I'm missing out on the music from my own country. Would YOU like to maybe not start a list war but just mention something? Cause I feel like I'm missing out!

Edge of Glory is such a fun song, but I wonder how different the new tour will be.. I mean how does Edge of Glory LOOK? The images I get in my head.. they're awful :D and awesome, at the same time haha
Stone washed jeans, a saxophonist, and ALF on stage.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
It's growing a lot on me. It's a fairly unusual song for her, as it sounds like an electropop version of an 80s hair metal/stadium rock power ballad, almost like a remixed 80s Bon Jovi song, largely due to the bombastic chorus.

Edit: I'm even warming up to the sax, even though it sounds almost out of place in such a song.

gerg said:
Unless saxophonists are anti-GOP, or something.

clinton-sax.jpg

Monocle

If Madonna or Bon Jovi or whoever else had recorded Edge of Glory in the 80s, I think it would have been one of their most lucrative and critically acclaimed hits. The song has a dynamic energy that swells to the chorus, then blooms into a soaring anthemic surge. It's euphoric and campy and I love it.

And the sax is perfect. I don't care what anyone says, EOG wouldn't be half the song it is without its jaunty instrumentation. The production easily rivals that of Bad Romance. Between EOG, the Mugler preview of Government Hooker, and the intro to Marry the Night, my reservations about the full album have evaporated.

gerg

While I'm not sure that I particularly care for the new song (or particularly dislike it, for that matter), it doesn't seem to jive with Gaga's comments about the album having a more political bent than her previous work.

Unless saxophonists are anti-GOP, or something.

Masked Man

I said wow
I've really tried to get into her latest offerings, but all three of Gaga's most recent releases have left me nonplussed at best, annoyed at worst.

Judas > Edge of Glory > Born This Way

I'll admit that she sounds good, but I just felt like I was listening to a 6-minute chorus, as someone described it. Also, Gaga: you have essentially unlimited resources in crafting this album, and yet you resort to some awful '80s synth saxophone instead of the real thing?

Not getting my hopes up about the album. :/

Ollie Pooch

Masked Man said:
I've really tried to get into her latest offerings, but all three of Gaga's most recent releases have left me nonplussed at best, annoyed at worst.

Judas > Edge of Glory > Born This Way

I'll admit that she sounds good, but I just felt like I was listening to a 6-minute chorus, as someone described it. Also, Gaga: you have essentially unlimited resources in crafting this album, and yet you resort to some awful '80s synth saxophone instead of the real thing?

Not getting my hopes up about the album. :/
What? She used the guy from the E Street Band. It's not a synth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom