• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Laptop or iPad Pro?

So, I just bought a HP Envy x360 and returned it because it didn't live up to expectations. I recently posted about the avatars on here looking low quality and I never had that problem with my 6th Gen iPad. I do graphics and write a lot, so having a Windows based platform for my graphics program and a large keyboard is ideal.

I just don't know if I should even bother trying to get another laptop, though. The Envy also had terrible sounding speakers and the video quality was shit.

I am willing to pay $800+ for a laptop if it can do everything great, but would an 11 inch iPad Pro be better for me? I thought about buying a $200 bare bones laptop for my writing and graphics needs and then buying an iPad Pro for everything else, but I am not sure what I should do.

Please help me decide. I am struggling to make a decision.

Thank you for the help.

Last edited:

nush

Gold Member
Laptop, then just get an external monitor and some speakers and that will solve your biggest problems.

InterMusketeer

Gold Member
So, I just bought a HP Envy x360 and returned it because it didn't live up to expectations. I recently posted about the avatars on here looking low quality...

The Envy also had terrible sounding speakers and the video quality was shit.
So what was the actual cause for the video and image quality being shit? Maybe that's something you could avoid in potential replacement laptops?
I would have to assume there's laptops out there that have the things you want.

Personally I'd much rather have one device that can perform multiple tasks, so I would recommend looking for another laptop.

Ovek

7Member7
If your question is ever laptop or iPad the answer is always laptop... have a look at Lenovo they have nice screens the speakers might not be the best though as they are targeted at a more professional market.

I work with a lot of Apple kit, shit I’m typing this out on a iPad pro but for all Apples marketing about iPads and more importantly iPad Pro’s they are still niche devices with same limited usability especially in regards to work flow and quick task switching.

Ovek

7Member7
So what was the actual cause for the video and image quality being shit? Maybe that's something you could avoid in potential replacement laptops?

Probably the FHD 1080p screen resolution you get on all models of the x360 (in the UK anyway) because HP are being cheap.

Mista

Banned
I got both and to be honest both of them got their own special time. MacBook Pro 15” for the whole day and iPad Pro 12.9” for the bed. It way more comfy

Probably the FHD 1080p screen resolution you get on all models of the x360 (in the UK anyway) because HP are being cheap.

Could you explain this to me? Isn't FHD 1080p good or is it bad for laptops? I was trying to figure out why the x360 was so shitty even compared to my old laptop. I think I am just going to get another laptop. I'll look at Lenovo, so thanks for the suggestion.

It doesn't really matter what graphics card a laptop has, right? I mean, if you aren't gaming on it. I simply want all of the images to look good on the screen. That's all.

Ovek, would this be a good laptop to suit my needs?: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PB5M8DS/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I like the 2 in 1 laptops, but the x360 was just not up to par. This looks nice and it's a #1 best seller. That has to say something about it.

Last edited:
there are plenty (your price range)

Ovek

7Member7
Could you explain this to me? Isn't FHD 1080p good or is it bad for laptops? I was trying to figure out why the x360 was so shitty even compared to my old laptop. I think I am just going to get another laptop. I'll look at Lenovo, so thanks for the suggestion.

It doesn't really matter what graphics card a laptop has, right? I mean, if you aren't gaming on it. I simply want all of the images to look good on the screen. That's all.

Ovek, would this be a good laptop to suit my needs?: https://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-Convertible-Touchscreen-Processor-Graphics/dp/B07PB5M8DS/ref=mp_s_a_1_8?keywords=lenovo+laptop&qid=1565349664&s=gateway&sprefix=lenovo+&sr=8-8&th=1&psc=1

I like the 2 in 1 laptops, but the x360 was just not up to par. This looks nice and it's a #1 best seller. That has to say something about it.

A FHD is a 1920x1080 screen resolution and on a laptop its alright but will start to look "pixely" on 14" plus laptop screens. They are pretty much the standard for all low to mid range Windows based laptops and you might struggle to find a laptop with a higher screen resolution within your budget.

Comparing it to your 6th Gen iPad that has a 2048x1536 resolution on a 9.7" display so the pixels are significantly smaller making everything look smoother.

The screen on the HP might have just been crap, it's best if you can go look at several before you buy if possible.

Tesseract

Banned
if you value your sanity, you'll get a laptop

touch enables bad user habits i think, especially if you do any kind of development

kingbean

An iPad will never replaced a laptop for anything productive unless you want a decent drawing portable.

The lack of proper keyboard and mouse support is baffling to me.

DESTROYA

My suggestion Is get a laptop, if you can go to a store that has display models you can play with before choosing.

eddie4

Genuinely Generous
That's exactly what I was thinking about buying too. :messenger_beaming:

In the Q&A, someone said it has a backlit keyboard. Can you confirm that to push me over the proverbial edge?

Yes, the model he has comes with a backlit keyboard.

Here is also a Q&A from that model:
Q: Is the keyboard backlit?
A: Yes, model number 81SS0005US ships with a backlit keyboard.

HUELEN10

for your needs, it’s not laptop or iPad Pro, but desktop and iPad Air.

as in you would be happier with a desktop and an iPad Air.

eddie4

Genuinely Generous
Get yourself the laptop, and if you need a desktop, get a monitor, mouse/keyboard, use it as a desktop. Why get two devices, have to worry about syncing data, especially something like an iPad, that you'll have to upgrade in a year because the apps won't be "compatible." I have an iPad 2, which runs fine, but I can no longer install new apps on it since they are "incompatible" and the only way around it is to sign into my account on a new ipad, get that application, then go back to the older ipad and go into "purchases" and then it will download the appropriate version for my ipad 2 instead of doing that in the first place. what kind of bs is this apple. Android doesn't do that shit.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
iPads are a great supplement to a PC/laptop, but not a replacement IMO. I use my iPad more than my work provided laptop or my home desktop as it's my preferred device for browsing the web, social media, reading newspapers/magazines/comics etc. which is a lot of my non-work screen time.

But it's pretty bad for typing. The keyboard case sucked (at least the 9.7" one) to type fast on and I had two stop working (got first replaced for free) before giving up on it. Better keyboard cases are bulkier and hurt tablet form factor usages and using a bluetooth keyboard is clunky and less portable. So if you need to work/type a lot I'd go with a laptop.

Tablets are great for media consumption, shitty for any kind of work/productivity IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree that ipad (pro or not) is not worth it. They are not laptop replacements. And you'll also be locked into apple's ecosystem which has its own set of problems.

If you really need something portable to draw on, maybe look at surface pro.

daveonezero

Banned
From your post it seems you need a better screen. It is hard to get a portable device with a screen better than an Apple product.

I’d go look at their products. Or maybe the Dell XPS

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
Probably the unpopular opinion here, but I use my iPad every single day. I don’t have a need to do pc shit like I once did back in my 20’s. For me an iPad is a personal no brainer. If all you really need is speakers and internet browser (which is what your post sounds like just get an iPad.

Last edited:

Codes 208

I agree that ipad (pro or not) is not worth it. They are not laptop replacements. And you'll also be locked into apple's ecosystem which has its own set of problems.

If you really need something portable to draw on, maybe look at surface pro.
My go-to is the surface pro, kind of in that in-between in terms of tablwt and laptop. I use my gen 5 for both laptop and tablet features (browsing, editing, drawing)

Ive played around around with my family’s ipad pro and while apple has its advantages, Overall i prefer the windows eco-system due to the general ease of finding and using software.

I will say this though: save yourself some money, dont get suckered into buying one of those keyboard cases, just buy a regular case and a bluetooth keyboard and you’re pretty much set (and being a tablet i also recommend a screen protector, like amfilms or a decent brand heavy duty glass screen protector.)

Last edited:

mekes

iPad Pro is great, I have the latest 12.9 version. It’s certainly getting closer and closer to being a laptop replacement. But that being said, depending on what you’ll use it for, it’s not quite there yet. But then you could also argue, depending on what you’ll use it for, it’s definitely a laptop replacement right now.

It is a laptop replacement for me, because I only really use it for browsing the web, checking emails, writing notes with Evernote with the pencil and playing a few games. And YouTube.

GV82

Since I only do casual internet stuff like browsing/YouTube I just use an iPad now especially in the Summer where my laptop gives off to much heat, Sometimes use my laptop in winter instead.

It can get frustrating occasionally when there is certain things I can’t do, but I know there are more features to come in the next big update, ext storage & mouse support

If you plan to do anything work wise on it though, then it may not be the best option, maybe a laptop/desktop for that use.

Last edited:
I read that the brightness on the Lenovo Flex 4 is poor. Does anyone have a suggestion in my price range that has a really bright screen?

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Laptop, have that keyboard, and a larger screen is a huge factor, lets be honest iPads are tiny.

The answer is always Chromebook

I was actually looking at Chromebooks. Weird that you would suggest that. How is the Chrome OS? Never used it. And is 4GB RAM and 64GB Flash Storage actually sufficient on a Chromebook?

I do want it to be fast and snappy, but I am REALLY wanting something with a bright, clear, and crisp display. If a Chromebook provides that, then that's what I'll buy.

That's what attracted me to the iPad Pro in the first place. The display was phenomenal IMO.

I found the Pixlr Editor which does what Paint Shop does for me, so I could definitely go to Chrome OS if need be and it's a free program to boot.

Last edited:

eddie4

Genuinely Generous
That's what attracted me to the iPad Pro in the first place. The display was phenomenal IMO.

That's all they've got. It's a tablet with a nice screen. You're honestly better of with a Dell XPS or something similar. I would hate for you to get stuck in a proprietary environment like iOS, it's not worth it. With Windows or Linux, you're open to way more software options.

Last edited:

ROMhack

I was actually looking at Chromebooks. Weird that you would suggest that. How is the Chrome OS? Never used it. And is 4GB RAM and 64GB Flash Storage actually sufficient on a Chromebook?

I do want it to be fast and snappy, but I am REALLY wanting something with a bright, clear, and crisp display. If a Chromebook provides that, then that's what I'll buy.

I found the Pixlr Editor which does what Paint Shop does for me, so I could definitely go to Chrome OS if need be and it's a free program to boot.

Chrome OS is functional. It's a bit like using an android phone.

The good Chromebooks tend to have a crisp, bright screens but that's often what you pay extra for. I have a Toshiba Chromebook 2 and it's 1920x1080, very bright.

Problem for you is that I'm not sure if it's great for graphics, certainly not as good with a laptop and Adobe Creative Suite.

It's decent for writing. I use a combination of Google Docs and Calmly Writer.

I see that you are leaning towards getting a laptop, but I thought that I'd put in my vote for the iPad Pro.

I have a 12.9" iPad Pro and use it for writing and attempting to draw. I find the iPad Pro better than my laptop for these tasks, but I had to buy a few things to make it so:

a Logitech keyboard
Apple Pencil
iPad cover that makes a stand for the tablet
Paperlike screen protector: I love this because it gives the screen the look and texture of paper, making it great for drawing, handwriting and reading but be aware that it dulls the vibrancy of the display

And you probably know about all the writing and drawing apps that are available for the iPad. I use Scrivener and Procreate because you can buy them outright and don't have to subscribe to use them fully.

mekes

Yeah I've been having fun drawing on my pro. It's so much better than the first apple pencil. I was tempted to get the paperlike screen protector but opted against it, but thankfully its already a big boost in performance with that new apple pencil.

The biggest compliment I can give it is that my time spent drawing with it, it actually feels substantial and fulfilling. Time well spent. It works that well, and I've been very happy with that.

My girlfriend on the other hand. She's not. I keep drawing our dogs with human faces and sending the pictures to her.

Extremely happy in general with my upgrade from the first gen pro.

I see that you are leaning towards getting a laptop, but I thought that I'd put in my vote for the iPad Pro.

I have a 12.9" iPad Pro and use it for writing and attempting to draw. I find the iPad Pro better than my laptop for these tasks, but I had to buy a few things to make it so:

a Logitech keyboard
Apple Pencil
iPad cover that makes a stand for the tablet
Paperlike screen protector: I love this because it gives the screen the look and texture of paper, making it great for drawing, handwriting and reading but be aware that it dulls the vibrancy of the display

And you probably know about all the writing and drawing apps that are available for the iPad. I use Scrivener and Procreate because you can buy them outright and don't have to subscribe to use them fully.

What Logitech keyboard did you end up buying for the iPad Pro?

JCK75

I've not used the Envy line but I have an HP Spectre 1030 X360 and I love the crap out of that laptop, so much in fact that I let my wife take my Surface Pro 4 because it filled in all needs I had of it (mostly Krita, Blender and some mixing on Reaper)
Something in that line would be vastly superior to the ipad in that you get the same drawing capabilities but you can use it on real complete software packages.

I was thinking about giving this a chance.

iconmaster

Banned
How well does it hold up when you've got it in your lap and you're typing? I wouldn't be using it on a table or desk.

I have a very similar Logitech keyboard, the K380. (It lacks the extended number pad, so it's probably better for lap use.) I use it with my iPad, both on my lap. The answer is: you can make it work, but it's nowhere as ergonomic as a laptop.

Last edited:
Top Bottom