• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Larry Bundy Jr: 4 Times Shigeru Miyamoto Was an Asshole

wrowa

IIRC apart of being generally awful, Croc's level design was generally pretty linear in contrast to Mario 64's open levels with a varied set of goals, so I don't really see how these games are similar enough to say that Mario 64 was a clone or more than vaguely inspired by it.

Interesting. What achivements of his do you feel do not live up to your lofty ideals?

Did he wrong you at some point, did you contract under him? And how many other designers have longer lasting franchises?

I mean, it's cool not to like the guy and all but you should give credit where it's due.

Don't bother. See: post history
Much as the fact-free recount of the OP

...People take Larry Bundy Jr seriously...? I always though he was a B-tier youtuber...

The whole "...mediocre gameplay..." line has been debunked for fucking years. Fucking fact check Larry!

http://www.ign.com/articles/2010/06/17/e3-2010-shigeru-miyamoto-likes-donkey-kong-country-after-all

see

The Star Fox 2 bit is fairly well known. Dylan Cuthbert said this about the cancellation of SF2:

And yet he proceeded to work on the 3DS remake of 64 with his company...? Something isn''t adding up

Also, I just read "Power-Up" by Chris Kohler, which features an interview with Cuthbert... he's really a lot of smiles and rainbows when talking about Nintendo and Miyamoto (and he didn't need to be). And that's freaking 2004, a long time before he started to work with them again.

Came for this. The behind-the-scenes rumblings/rumors of him forcing his vision onto the series sounds about right. Looks to have started with Super Paper Mario.

Apparently his meddling is to blame for Sticker Star's shortcomings, and I can totally see it now with this thread having popped up.

That's not a rumor? The developers said in plain letters "Miyamoto asked us to use only Mario characters if possible and to make the story simpler. We thought it over and it made sense so we did it". Eventually they didn't like having a barebones story seeing how they beefed it up for Color Splash, but them only using estabilished Mario characters instead of their own is probably out of respect for Miyamoto.

Lutherian

"Miyamoto: The first point that I want to make is that I actually worked very closely with Rare on the original Donkey Kong Country. And apparently recently some rumor got out that I didn't really like that game? I just want to clarify that that's not the case, because I was very involved in that. And even emailing almost daily with Tim Stamper right up until the end."

http://www.ign.com/articles/2010/06...-donkey-kong-country-after-all?page=3

I really, REALLY love Larry Bundy Jr, but the whole "DKC infamous quote" is very problematic.

That was actually lovely... I've been pretty down on [Miyamoto] for a while now, but yeah, this particular exchange is super nice...

this really was great, thanks for sharing it

really helps round off the whole bit about Naka having a haiku in his office about miyamoto being a fart in the wind, haha

Sure thing :) Hopefully folks here consider supporting the awesome shmuplations translations!

Also, that line actually didn't come from Naka, it came from Hirokazu Yasuhara:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/09/19/sonys-mark-cerny-on-being-the-smartest-man-in-the-room
It was at this point in the conversation that [Mark] Cerny recounted a story from earlier in his career, when he was working alongside Hirokazu Yasuhara on Sega Genesis’ Sonic the Hedgehog series. “I hit a rough patch at about ten years in the industry, and I noticed that Hirokazu Yasuhara… had a Japanese poem written, and he’d look at it above his desk, he wrote it out, he looked and got pissed off every morning.”

What did the poem say? “The poem was very simple,” Cerny said. “It was ‘Shigeru Miyamoto is a fart.’ And he’d look at that and he’d say ‘why is that guy getting all the credit? I have to show the world that I’m a good guy too.’”

To find similar motivation, Cerny decided to not take aim at someone else, but at himself. So he wrote a similar message that he kept handy. It was an old Japanese proverb that translates to, “when the prodigy child becomes 20, he becomes an ordinary person.” It was a way to remind himself that no matter how smart he is, he needed to work hard and stay grounded in order to succeed. In his own words, he’d “use that as my motivation to try harder.”

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/...ocreator_Hirokazu_Yasuhara_joins_Nintendo.php
Hirokazu Yasuhara, a long-time industry veteran and game director for the early Sonic the Hedgehog titles, has assumed a new role at Nintendo, Gamasutra has learned... He got his start at Sega in 1988, where he served alongside Sonic co-creator Yuji Naka as the director, game planner, and designer for many of the original Sonic the Hedgehog titles for the Sega Genesis and Sega Saturn, spanning the original Genesis title in 1991 to Sonic R in 1997. For his remaining time at Sega, Yasuhara worked on smaller games like Floigan Bros for the Sega Dreamcast...

By contrast, Naka says in the interview:
http://shmuplations.com/miyamotoxnaka/
Naka: Since the beginning, Sega has been saying “we need to beat Nintendo!” But my intention wasn’t really to “beat” Nintendo, but to make games that could stand shoulder to shoulder with theirs. If you try to make the exact same thing you’ll never win; you’ve got to pursue a different path. That was our thinking when we made Sonic… but of course, when Miyamoto showed me new games like Mario 64, I realized we were lagging behind again! Just when I thought we were on par, he goes and puts out an amazing game like that... You know, Nintendo has been really consistent over the years with their “toy ethos” approach to game development. I saw that and didn’t feel any personal jealousy, it was more like, “good for them.” Sega was always a little weaker than Nintendo when it came to making games for kids. Our image in the past was “High Tech Sega!”, and so I think we appealed more to an adult market. I think it’s very important for a company to understand their unique color or appeal; you can release the same game, but if you misunderstand that appeal, you won’t reach the users you were hoping to target. Despite that, Sega would tell us “We’ve got to steal Nintendo’s userbase!”, and my team worked hard at that too…. but in the end, it never really worked out, as you know...

Peltz

Eh... if Miyamoto is an asshole occasionally, I simply don't care. It's not like he's racist or something. These are all business-type dealings that come with the territory.

Nanashrew

Banned
Archives of Electronic Games Magazine only goes up to 1994 so I cannot find the DKC Miyamoto thing. Still though, Miyamoto debunked it in 2010 in an interview with IGN.

The Star Fox 2 thing is known, as saddening as it is. But Nintendo owns the code so they cannot steal it. Not giving credit is bad though.

The Croc/Mario 64 sounds like bad conjecture.

Plus.
A previous GAF thread on this subject: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=613206

Within the thread, PokéKong points out an interesting exchange between John Ricciardi and Dylan Cuthbert:
https://twitter.com/johntv/status/354773277962534912
John Ricciardi ‏@johntv (09 Jul 2013)
My fav is the one where he tries to suggest he gave Miyamoto the idea for Mario 64. (Great read tho)

https://twitter.com/dylancuthbert/st...60305903386626
Dylan Cuthbert @dylancuthbert (10 Jul 2013)
@johntv yes that's a bit of a stretch, although we did 3d platforming tests while making Starfox 2

I believe Miyamoto even recommended Cuthbert to HAL Lab but Cuthbert declined the offer. Cuthbert has also worked on Nintendo too.

I find it weird that another guy from Argonaut, Giles Goddard, had no problems to continue working with Nintendo after a bunch of his co-workers got their work stolen. Even going as far as making 1080º Snowboarding, porting Doshin the Giant to the Gamecube and then coming back and making Steel Diver.

I... dunno. There are people like that, but this whole exchange and accusations sound hella fishy

I saw Miyamoto at a grocery store in Kyoto yesterday. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn’t want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything.

He said, “Oh, like you’re doing now?”

I was taken aback, and all I could say was “Huh?” but he kept cutting me off and going “huh? huh? huh?” and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Milky Ways in his hands without paying.

The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like “Sir, you need to pay for those first.” At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.

When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually “to prevent any electrical infetterence,” and then turned around and winked at me. I don’t even think that’s a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.

clubcard1ky35.png

There is a ton of "citation needed!" moments in that video. And I was particularly unpersuaded and unmoved by the Croc/Mario64 bit. So without the Croc concepts Nintendo wouldn't have made a 3D mario platformer for their N64 system? The system who's whole point was 3D gaming (analog stick and all?) Yeah right. So putting aside the broad concept then, Mario 64 has x1000 the inspiration, talent and craft of Croc so I doubt there was anything else for them to have even potentially stolen from it.

ultrazilla

Gold Member
"steal".

Which games were released, again? Let's be honest, every developer borrows winning ideas from every other developer. Ideas are a dime a dozen. Implementation is everything.

The only issue I take is the Argonaut snub, but still, Nintendo owned the code to SF2, so they didn't steal anything. Accreditation is the problem there.

Exactly. Look at the movie "ALIENS" and then look at how many games and movies afterwards that basically "borrowed" from it. From creatures, weaponry, bad ass space marines and so on. It's crazy. You don't see James Cameron sitting around and crying about it. I mean there's a lot of folks who've cited "ALIENS" as big influences for their own projects.

spliced

1. Have you seen Rare? They're hostile and crusty, you gotta slap em around a bit. Besides it's pretty agreed upon that DKC 1 is the worst playing of the trilogy so Miyamoto was right.

2. From the reviews I've seen Star Fox 2 wasn't that great so that's probably why it didn't see release.

3. lol ya ok they "stole the concept" and whipped together possibly the greatest and most revolutionary game ever AND beat Croc to market. Timeline makes no sense.

4. Some random story about DMA that the video creator admits doesn't really even fit his premise.

Exactly. Look at the movie "ALIENS" and then look at how many games and movies afterwards that basically "borrowed" from it. From creatures, weaponry, bad ass space marines and so on. It's crazy. You don't see James Cameron sitting around and crying about it. I mean there's a lot of folks who've cited "ALIENS" as big influences for their own projects.
Slighty off topic but Star Fox takes a lot from Star Wars and Independence Day.

Also Metroid with Alien.

oh no nintendo might be in hot water again, i just realised metroid has an enemy named ridley... as in ridley scott... jesus christ will the thefts never end

maybe Larry Bundy Jr will make a video about it soon, hopefully

Hermii

IIRC apart of being generally awful, Croc's level design was generally pretty linear in contrast to Mario 64's open levels with a varied set of goals, so I don't really see how these games are similar enough to say that Mario 64 was a clone or more than vaguely inspired by it.
They both included running and jumping in a 3D space :p

Celine

1. Miyamoto was pissed at Nintendo management for warmly suggesting to change Yoshi's Island art style to pre-rendered graphics similar to DKC.
Miyamoto wasn't pissed at Rare.

2. Nintendo cancelled Start Fox 2 for business opportunity that is to make enough room between the original Star Fox and the N64 sequel (business decision which paid off since SF64 is the best selling game in the series).
A bunch of other polygonal games slated for SNES in 1995/1996 were cancelled to not give to the general public the impression that "Nintendo 3D" was sloppy, in fact Sega Saturn and Sony PlayStation were available from 1995 in most western markets.

3. There is no evidence that suggest Nintendo stole the concept from Croc (who have played both games know what I mean) for its masterpiece Super Mario 64.
It's like saying Nintendo stole the concept from other sort of platform games which used polygonal graphics like Alpha Waves or Jumping Flash that came out before SM64 when in reality SM64 was an order of magnitude more advanced than any console game available in the conole market in 1996.

4. DMA worked on a bunch of project for N64.
Some released:
Silicon Valley: what a masterpiece
Body Harvest: important from an historic point of view but not well executed.

Some cancelled:
Zenith: a game where you need to climb a tower.

Some rumored:
Unreal: port of Epic FPS for 64DD
Metroid 64: yep the external developer that had the task to bring Samus Aran on N64 is rumored to be DMA Design.

The relationship between Nintendo and DMA Design wasn't any different from any other similar relationship between a publisher and a developer.

ByWatterson

Reminds me of an excerpt from the book Console Wars that shows Miyamoto (and several other Nintendo icons) being extremely cocky. The context is that Tony Harman took it upon himself to convince Nintendo to let a Western studio develop a game using one of their iconic characters. He wrote up a short manifesto (the required ingredients to make a great game) and sent it to Nintendo. The following is when he arrives at their offices in Japan.

That makes me less inclined to support Nintendo in the future as I introduce games to my young son.

I probably still will, but man, they certainly have received some comeuppance for that arrogance. If that's what they think of Western developers, what do they think of Western players?

plufim

So next week Larry will "quote" Miyamoto saying F zero GX was bad because it was by a third party.

Which was a misquote as the context was about the bad 3rd party GBA games.

petran79

Banned
Western developers had also great output and experience. Eg Alpha Waves (1990) was the first 3D platformer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpha_Waves

- Yes visible depth-of-field clipping (objects disappearing in the distance)
- Large (for the time) number of 3D objects displayed simultaneously
-First simultaneous 2-player split-screen mode on a single computer (only on the Atari ST and Amiga versions)

It is just that Nintendo took all that and made it mainstream instead of being limited to the European video game scene. They take more credit than they deserve but this is to be expected.

Celine

Western developers had also great output and experience. Eg Alpha Waves (1990) was the first 3D platformer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpha_Waves

- Yes visible depth-of-field clipping (objects disappearing in the distance)
- Large (for the time) number of 3D objects displayed simultaneously
-First simultaneous 2-player split-screen mode on a single computer (only on the Atari ST and Amiga versions)

It is just that Nintendo took all that and made it mainstream instead of being limited to the European video game scene. They take more credit than they deserve but this is to be expected.
Alpha Waves doesn't look like a good game though (and not because it was developed by a non-japanese developer).

Nanashrew

Banned
That makes me less inclined to support Nintendo in the future as I introduce games to my young son.

I probably still will, but man, they certainly have received some comeuppance for that arrogance. If that's what they think of Western developers, what do they think of Western players?

That was back when Yamauchi was still the president, and he retired and passed away. He was a very strict, stubborn guy and was part in ruining the relationship they had with some companies, even some like Square. Square only finally came back to Nintendo when Iwata became president.

massoluk

Banned
So next week Larry will "quote" Miyamoto saying F zero GX was bad because it was by a third party.

Which was a misquote as the context was about the bad 3rd party GBA games.
Surprised Larry didn't include Miyamoto stealing spherical world from Insomniac for Mario Galaxies and rounded the list to 5.

tolkir

It shouldn't be a surprise if you know Yamauchi, it's known he was an asshole with everyone, even with his family.

I was subscribed to this guy for 10 minutes, read the thread, returned to not subbing lol.

I knew about the DKC thing being bunk and let it slide, but when there were 8 million holes in everything else, it just became kind of apparent that he's not exactly a top-lister.

This feels like something you'd experience in a nightmare. You meet someone you idolize in a situation where they never would be, and something happens that makes no sense with that person.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I'm curious about the "stealing code" stuff. Nintendo funded development for Starfox (not to mention helped co-develop it as well), so wouldn't the code, even if it was entirely created by Argonaut belong to Nintendo?

Also didn't know that DMA was originally on the "Dream Team", which is pretty hilarious looking back at some of the devs involved like... Left Field Studios LOL.

edit: But the biggest item on the list that I REALLY think should be taken with a mountain of salt is that Argonaut gave Nintendo the idea to make a 3D platformer. Nintendo goes through the effort of making a 3D capable console and not a single person internally ever floated the idea of bringing their most successful series to the third dimension? Really? Really?

big_z

stopped watching as soon as this guy claims rare sold themselves to Microsoft after star fox adventures to get away from miyamoto.

Nanashrew

Banned
Wondering if it was someone else stealing ideas without crediting them how the reaction would be?

I mean, I don't even know who this YouTube guy is so I'd be questioning his sources regardless. There's little reason for me to believe him.

Plus with all the information we have, much of his points have been debunked in this thread numerous times.

Larry didn't come up with the Croc thing, it was detailed in a recent issue of Retro Gamer which had a special on that game. Maybe also in their SM64 special. If noone else has it, I can look it up when I get back home.

I saw Miyamoto at a grocery store in Kyoto yesterday. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn’t want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything.

He said, “Oh, like you’re doing now?”

I was taken aback, and all I could say was “Huh?” but he kept cutting me off and going “huh? huh? huh?” and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Milky Ways in his hands without paying.

The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like “Sir, you need to pay for those first.” At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.

When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually “to prevent any electrical infetterence,” and then turned around and winked at me. I don’t even think that’s a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.
Same thing happened at Ikea

Alright, here we go https://youtu.be/xL83Ko0vYrw?t=13m55s

Here's an old G4 Icons episode where one of the writers for Electronic Games Magazine claims he had Miyamoto and Rare co-founder Tim Stamper in the same room. He claims he interviewed them both at the same time and that's when Shiggy told his business partner right to his face, that his game was mediocre.

Also, the issue where the alleged interview was published is from May 1995, not March, which makes Larry's video even more dubious if he can't even get simple facts like that right. All that's available online is a scanned cover of the issue unfortunately. I've tried looking everywhere for an entire scan without success, so whether Miyamoto actually said this is still up in the air until someone finds the magazine and confirms it once and for all. It's still shitty and irresponsible of Larry to pass it off as fact while ignoring Miyamoto's acknowledgement of the rumor when he spoke with IGN.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
The Croc thing is actually even funnier in retrospect because back in the day, when I got my first PS1 (of many, sadly), it came with a demo of Croc. I remember thinking back then what was the big deal with Super Mario 64 when this game seemed to be almost exactly like it.

In case you were wondering, no, I had never actually played Mario 64 up until that point.

Top Bottom