• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lars Andersen: a new level of archery

Status
Not open for further replies.
And then search for old photos of samurais, or archery competitions were they do it traditionally (Tibet, etc.), or old paintings, and it's on the right.

dWd75TP.jpg

Yeah, it's weird how people are trained to put the arrow to the left side. When you're drawing with your right hand, the most efficient thing to do would be to aim it on the right side.

Nikodemos

Yeah, it's weird how people are trained to put the arrow to the left side. When you're drawing with your right hand, the most efficient thing to do would be to aim it on the right side.
That's because in modern archery people don't use their left thumb to prop the arrow. Doing so causes friction burns (and eventually calluses) to develop, which, while acceptable to a 13th century military archer, aren't exactly fashionable to a modern-day sporting practitioner. Remember that professional military archers had all sorts of anatomical quirks due to their lifelong bow use.

EDIT: The current sporting archery grip (leftside arrow, three finger grip) is derived from a foot-bound hunting stance, rather than a fighting one. When hunting, the archer stands still (so as not to alert the prey), shoots from a relatively short distance (to make sure the deer/whatever doesn't have time to bolt), and needs maximum precision (since there's no chance of a second shot). Another difference is sighting the arrow rather than relying on muscle memory to aim.

jett

D-Member
Watch Ironclad. Not the greatest movie, but the fight choreographer was educated about swordplay. There are lots of great bits straight out of a medieval sword manual. Holding the blade to use the guard and grip as a hook and lever, using a half-sword grip, and the repeated use of the sword as a bludgeon. I've got a couple of medieval sword manuals with some really amazing techniques in them that you never see, but were used in the field.

If you'd prefer something from the later age of sword, The Duellists is pretty amazing.

Watched a few clips on youtube. Man that's some dreadful camera work, I literally can't see shit... :p

The Duellists is fantastic though. One of the best debut director movies ever made.

Watch Ironclad. Not the greatest movie, but the fight choreographer was educated about swordplay. There are lots of great bits straight out of a medieval sword manual. Holding the blade to use the guard and grip as a hook and lever, using a half-sword grip, and the repeated use of the sword as a bludgeon. I've got a couple of medieval sword manuals with some really amazing techniques in them that you never see, but were used in the field.

If you'd prefer something from the later age of sword, The Duellists is pretty amazing.

This post confused the fuck out of me. I was thinking 'all of this in a movie about Nazis coming back from the moon?' and then I realised I was thinking of Iron Sky.

Also, it's cool that this guy rediscovered some old techniques but I missed the part of the Bayeux Tapestry where the archers were doing sick wall plants and shooting in mid air.

As for that sword guy, I imagine actually getting into a conversation with him about the topic would be unbearable. Why does that article have such an adversarial tone?

Pakkidis

Makes me wonder why there isn't different events in the Olympics involving more archery. Horseback archery, or maybe an obstacle course where you have run and hit targets to finish the course, every missed target adds a second to your time.

NomarTyme

Makes me wonder why there isn't different events in the Olympics involving more archery. Horseback archery, or maybe an obstacle course where you have run and hit targets to finish the course, every missed target adds a second to your time.

I would watch this.

No way the horseback thing is going to happen though.

Kinyou

And then search for old photos of samurais, or archery competitions were they do it traditionally (Tibet, etc.), or old paintings, and it's on the right.

dWd75TP.jpg
Also noticed that Ashitaka in Princess Mononoke puts it on the right side

At one point he also catches an arrow and fires it back. Hayao Miyazaki did Anderson before Anderson.

Ha I just made a thread that's now closed. Used search and didn't see it.

I always love the people that want to shit all over something that's impressive.

Loxley

The short answer is they simply don't care enough. But to be fair, modern archery has been stuck in a comfort zone for a long, long time and has seen no reason to spice things up. I agree that contemporary archery could use a bit more variety. Much as I love it, traditional competition shooting isn't the most visually engaging sport on the planet - it's similar to golf in that regard. People see kick-ass archery stuff like what you see in movies or videos similar to Anderson's, only to find out that modern archery is dull by comparison.

I've never done archery although I've always wanted to but when I think about how I would hold it I naturally think the arrow should go on the right side. After reading this thread I looked at some pictures and sure enough, most images have them with the arrow on the left. That seems uncomfortable to me but I guess that's how people are taught and how it's done in movies.

I guess I just never noticed.
Wow.. Haha. I never did it that way. Thanx for searching dude. I always let the arrow slide over my thumb, so to speak.
Like you, i never noticed people did it the other way around.
Anyone using a modern bow.

That's how they teach it in boy scouts.

Thanx. Never knew this.

Falk

that puzzling face
Did Mythbusters cover that one yet? Catching arrows, not the historical accuracy of leg-drawn bear bows.

They did catching an arrow. They determined that while it's possible to catch an arrow if you know exactly where it's coming from and are ready, it's not really possible if you don't know which direction it's going to come from.

Mythbusters should cover if it's possible to catch an arrow at 30fps

Violet_0

Banned
I always thought it is kind of crazy that we used to walk up to our opponents on the battlefield with sticks and blades for thousands of years while the bow has been around for nearly as long

Khaz

Olympics archery is ridiculous in its current form, with all their fancy bows. And I agree they should add some form of athleticism in their sport.
Instead of trying to axe wrestling.

IceCold

Swordplay is still awful. Hitting a blade with another blade is a terrible portrayal of how swordfighting happened. And it's not like there aren't whole volumes dedicated to this, from several eras and styles.

Yup. Sword play in Hollywood is also all wrong. Basically, most things the common person knows about the past is inaccurate. Doesn't matter if it's cowboys, knights, archers, ninjas, etc. All wrong.

0qpql0V.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1S_Q3CGqZmg

Basically Hollywood chose entertainment over accuracy. Can't blame them, problem is, people believe that what Hollywood shows is real.

Yup. Sword play in Hollywood is also all wrong. Basically, most things the common person knows about the past is inaccurate. Doesn't matter if it's cowboys, knights, archers, ninjas, etc. All wrong.

0qpql0V.jpg

Basically Hollywood chose entertainment over accuracy. Can't blame them, problem is, people believe that what Hollywood shows is real.

I've seen people basically sprinting in full plate mail, a terrifying sight. It's a world away from the common misconception that fully armoured knights were slow lumbering tanks.

Nikodemos

0qpql0V.jpg
A mordhau versus a halbschwert thrust. The guy performing the mordhau wins, since the thrust doesn't hit anything, whereas the smash at least rattles his opponent's brainbox. The thrust is particularly ineffective against this particular foot knight, since he appears to be wearing great harness, that is, maille under plate (eliminating the weak spots like inner thighs, armpits or inner elbows). You'd need an estoc to rend the maille with any reliability.

I've seen people basically sprinting in full plate mail, a terrifying sight. It's a world away from the common misconception that fully armoured knights were slow lumbering tanks.
You could even swim in harness, although it took a relatively specific technique to keep yourself afloat and you needed to be in peak physical state. Also, it was important for you not to be roaring drunk; Frederic Barbarossa disregarded this point.

Acinixys

This was an amazing video

Imagine being a swordsman in the 12/13th century and having these crazy parkour quick fire archers running around and fucking your shit up

Must have been terrifying

Khaz

A mordhau versus a halbschwert thrust. The guy performing the mordhau wins, since the thrust doesn't hit anything, whereas the smash at least rattles his opponent's brainbox. The thrust is particularly ineffective against this particular foot knight, since he appears to be wearing great harness, that is, maille under plate (eliminating the weak spots like inner thighs, armpits or inner elbows). You'd need an estoc to rend the maille with any reliability.

Estoc means thrust.

Loxley

This was an amazing video

Imagine being a swordsman in the 12/13th century and having these crazy parkour quick fire archers running around and fucking your shit up

Must have been terrifying

The techniques he was showing off were mostly used by archers on horseback, and would often be used for "hit-and-run" attacks. The "parkour" movement's he's doing are mostly just for show. The idea was to fire as many arrows in quick succession as possible before having to take he time to reach back into the quiver to grab more - which can be cumbersome while riding a horse in the heat of a battle. Notice he doesn't show off many shots that take place from a great distance away, it's because the technique of firing arrows he shows doesn't allow for it (many times he's not drawing the bowstring all the way back). Despite that, recurve composite bows like the one the Mongols used were very capable at long distance - which they absolutely took advantage of when they could.

Here's another video from a few years ago showing the same technique that Anderson shows off in his video - only they actually show it being used on horseback. It's pretty cool.

Heck, here's a video of an actual horseback archery competition. (warning: loud music)

Yup, estoc is also a type of blade.

I learned real sword combat fighting thanks to the show Bones, where you hold the blade in order to smash it in better.

But seriously, this is cool stuff. It makes me wonder what kind of stuff there was back in the day in terms of how they did things that are lost today.

Edit-In that video of the horseback riding, that's amazing. But I notice he's aiming the arrow on the left side of the bow, I wonder if he would be able to fire faster using the right?

Loxley

Yup, estoc is also a type of blade.

I learned real sword combat fighting thanks to the show Bones, where you hold the blade in order to smash it in better.

But seriously, this is cool stuff. It makes me wonder what kind of stuff there was back in the day in terms of how they did things that are lost today.

Edit-In that video of the horseback riding, that's amazing. But I notice he's aiming the arrow on the left side of the bow, I wonder if he would be able to fire faster using the right?

He probably could if he trained himself, in horseback competitions I believe it's typically up to the rider to use whichever technique they're most comfortable with.

The hitch with resting the arrow on the thumb is that it's not the most comfortable technique to use, since the arrow and fletchings are shooting past your thumb, although they do make guards for this. Many just find the traditional european/western method of resting the arrow on the opposite side (where it sits atop the knuckle of your index finger) to be more comfortable. Plus it's also far and away the most common method of shooting that is taught outside of Asia.

He probably could if he trained himself, in horseback competitions I believe it's typically up to the rider to use whichever technique they're most comfortable with.

The hitch with resting the arrow on the thumb is that it's not the most comfortable technique to use, since the arrow and fletchings are shooting past your thumb, although they do make guards for this. Many just find the traditional european/western method of resting the arrow on the opposite side (where it sits atop the knuckle of your index finger) to be more comfortable. Plus it's also far and away the most common method of shooting that is taught outside of Asia.

Yeah, I figure. It still amazes me that there's techniques lost to us due to just not being passed down properly, only to be unfolded by art of ancient soldiers and seeing a consistent style(Holding arrows in the hand)

shaowebb

Wish I had a house already with some land. I rent right now but I'm out in the country. It'd be perfect territory to take up this hobby and learn speedshooting techniques. Guess I'll stick to throwing cards and such for now.

Kinyou

0qpql0V.jpg
Wait, is he striking him with the hilt? Wouldn't it be pretty easy to lose grip if you hold a sword by the blade?

Loofy

0qpql0V.jpg

I see, so medieval swordsmen actually fought like klingons.

But seriously why even use a sword at all if youre gonna use it like that. Seems like youre fucked if you forgot to bring your gauntlet.

UrbanRats

Wait, is he striking him with the hilt? Wouldn't it be pretty easy to lose grip if you hold a sword by the blade?

You can use the guard as a hook to remove pieces of amor, or as a blunt weapon, like a hammer, to damage through the armor itself, which a blade isn't ideal for.
The idea is that you use a sword in many different ways, depending on the circumstances, rather than just the traditional fencing you see in hollywood.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom