• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Last Days in Vietnam" on PBS starting April 28. Anyone watching?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OUS8ENa.jpg

Watch "Last Days in Vietnam" @ PBS Online

Trailer (Youtube)

'American Experience: Last Days in Vietnam' Site

American Experience is airing the Academy Award -nominated documentary starting tonight at 9e/8c on most PBS stations.

Last Days in Vietnam

Academy Award® Nominee for Documentary Feature. In April of 1975, the North Vietnamese Army was closing in on Saigon as South Vietnamese resistance was crumbling. Approximately 5,000 Americans remained with roughly 24 hours to get out. Their South Vietnamese allies, co-workers, and friends faced certain imprisonment and possible death if they remained behind, yet there was no official evacuation plan in place. Still, over the last days in Vietnam, with the clock ticking and the city under fire, 135,000 South Vietnamese managed to escape with help from a number of heroic Americans who took matters into their own hands, engaging in unsanctioned and often makeshift operations in a desperate effort to save as many people as possible.

I saw this a couple months ago. Really well made documentary, kind of maddening how the evacuation went despite the hard work that did go into executing the final plan.

Hopefully it'll be up on the PBS app (I think they put all their stuff there). Definitely going to try and watch it this week as I'm taking a class on the 1960s right now.

Can scarcely imagine what that must have felt like... to tell these people "choppers are coming you'll see," then to have to slink away and bar the doors behind you as you make your own escape.

Damn that was...an experience. Although the Ambassador was stubborn, he was personally vested in the conflict. But good on the GIs and other people that created adhoc planning.

And in the end, the ambassador did do the right thing and tried to get as many vietnamese on the choppers as possible.

FairyD

Anyone see the program that was in before this? 'the day the 60s died' I think it was called that and was a great prelude to this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom