• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PBS and Independent Lens present 'Newtown', on-air and online starting 4/3 @ 9p EST.

Status
Not open for further replies.
5i1Etb4.jpg

Official 'Newtown' Site
Independent Lens: 'Newtown' Site

Watch 'Newtown' Online: Free @ PBS.org until 4/18/17 (Alternative Link HERE) | iTunes | Amazon Video | Vudu | Google Play

Youtube Clips
Promo (0:30)
Full Trailer (1:51)

Clip: "We Don't Have a Teacher" (1:41)
Clip: "Nicole Hockley Remembers" (2:47)

'We Are All Newtown' Webseries
Part One (9:13)
Part Two (9:10)
Part Three (10:29)

About the Film
On December 14, 2012, a disturbed young man committed a horrific mass shooting in Newtown, Connecticut that took the lives of 20 elementary school children and six educators. Filmed over the course of nearly three years, Newtown uses deeply personal, never-before-heard testimonies to tell the story of the aftermath of the deadliest mass shooting of schoolchildren in American history. Through raw and heartbreaking interviews with parents, siblings, teachers, doctors, and first responders, Newtown documents a traumatized community still reeling from the senseless killing, fractured by grief but driven toward a sense of purpose.

There are no words of compassion or reassurance that can bring back those who lost their lives during the shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School. Instead, Snyder delves into the lives and homes of those who remain, all of whom have been indelibly changed by the events. They speak candidly about their grief, anger, and disbelief over what occurred and their disappointment that nothing has truly changed in regards to the country's legislative response to gun violence. Newtown bears witness to their profound grief and allows it to reverberate within our collective conscience, exploring what happens to a community after it becomes the epicenter of a national discussion, and what it must cope with after the cameras leave.

The Filmmaker
Kim A. Snyder's last feature documentary, Welcome to Shelbyville, was nationally broadcast on Independent Lens. In 2007, Snyder co-founded the BeCause Foundation to direct and produce a series of socially conscious documentaries which have won numerous awards with campaigns furthering the work of the social innovators they highlight. Her award-winning directorial debut feature documentary, I Remember Me, was theatrically distributed by Zeitgeist Films. Snyder has been a Sundance Institute fellow. In 1994, she associate produced the Academy Award-winning short film Trevor directed by Peggy Rajski. Snyder graduated with a Masters in International Affairs from the Johns Hopkins School of Advanced International Studies and resides in New York City.

Reviews

"Structured more like a requiem than a polemic, the doc ebbs and flows in accordance with the cycles of mourning as it speaks with parents of the murdered children, as well as the teachers, priests, doctors and neighbors afflicted with survivor's guilt, elegantly and devastatingly capturing the tenor of a small town that will carry these scars for at least a generation." -Andrew Barker, Variety

"It confronts, but it doesn't exploit. It's about one of the most horrifying events of recent years, and yet it's defined by its austerity, its sense of quiet. It is as much about the complex, dull horror of memory as it is about the brute, sharp horror of that day." -Bilge Ebiri, New York Magazine

"A crucial, profound strength of Newtown is its refusal to rush toward ”closure" as necessary, or even to suggest that it's possible. There's a striking lack of the bromides that usually abound in such contexts." -Sheri Linden, The Hollywood Reporter

"It's been said that if the U.S. couldn't tighten its gun-control laws after Sandy Hook, it never will. But Newtown refutes hopelessness, making its case less with words than with faces it's impossible to forget." -Stephanie Zacharek, Time

"This film isn't content to be merely a ”never forget" reminder; it wants to convey just how deep and lasting the pain is, from this attack and, by extension, many others." -Neil Genzlinger, The New York Times

Articles and Links
Newsweek: 'Newtown' Is a Devastating, Necessary Film
The Atlantic: The Message of 'Newtown': Please Don't Forget
Vogue: Filmmaker Kim A. Snyder on Why You Should See 'Newtown'

NeoGAF: School Shooting at Elementary School in Connecticut [27+ dead including 20+ children]

Host an at-home screening of 'Newtown' for your friends

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I felt that it was important to share this a week in advance of airing, so that interested parties could prepare themselves and perhaps spread the word.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Xe4

Banned
Good. It's so very important we never forget this day. Equally importantly, we should never forget the country's (particularly Republicans) disgusting reaction to it.

I don't think I'm strong enough to get through a documentary like this..
I've been planning to make this thread since they announced an air date, yet even though I've had a lot of time to prepare just the trailer still puts a lump in my throat. I'm fine with that though, along with anything else this film does to me emotionally; it's the thought of a day coming when that lump ISN'T put there that I worry about, because I see that in others where I live.

Lifeline

These are from the same people as Tower right? That was a great documentary.

Are they just covering famous mass shootings?

WedgeX

Banned
Independent Lens, along with the American Experience and old school NOVA, are true American treasures.

I don't know that I'll be able to handle watching this.

But I ought.

These are from the same people as Tower right? That was a great documentary.

Are they just covering famous mass shootings?
Independent Lens is a program on PBS that airs award-winning documentaries covering a variety of subjects with social impacts, not just mass shootings. Tonight's film is 'Ovarian Psycos', a documentary about young minority women in East L.A. who organized a movement to combat violence against women in their communities.

https://youtu.be/RT6ZMtZ-bm8

Many of these documentaries (including 'Tower' and 'Newtown') get financing and distribution help through ITVS which is funded by the Corporation for Public Broadcasting, which as you might recall the current administration is seeking to eliminate from the federal budget.

https://itvs.org/

ngower

False flag fake news liberal new world order agenda!

But for real, I don't know if I can watch this for how enraged I'd get that the fucking mass murder of children wasn't enough for this country to realize maybe we need to get our gun laws in line with the rest of the western world.

I don't think I'm strong enough to get through a documentary like this..

Yeah.

This was by far the most soul-crushing (American) mass shooting in memory. I couldn't stand watching the news that day, it was just too much. I can't imagine being the first responders who had to see it. Ugh.

I don't know if I can stomach this. Even the thought of Newtown sends shivers down my spine. Son is entering kindergarten this year.

A three-part companion webseries titled "We Are All Newtown" premiered yesterday on People.com, with new episodes being released later today and tomorrow. The web-series seeks to illustrate how any community can make an effort to move the conversations about gun violence forward.

Part one can be found at one of the links below.

http://people.com/crime/we-are-all-newtown-sandy-hook-shooting-webseries-premiere/
https://www.msn.com/en-us/video/popculture/we-are-all-newtown-webisode-no-1/vp-BBz1wEd

WedgeX

Banned
Here in DC, I have TWO PBS stations. And Neither are showing it. Bah!

edit:

And fixed. Now I have three PBS stations.

Jhoan

Welp, this is starting out hitting the ground running. This is gonna be hard to watch but watching it any way.

Jhoan

Short (I thought it was going to be two hours), sweet, and powerful. That final quote was pretty strong: "There's never any closure." Independent Lens has always been on point with their docs. Tower was great too.

Mumei

I missed this—though I'm not even sure whether it aired here—but fortunately I can watch it on Amazon.

I missed this—though I'm not even sure whether it aired here—but fortunately I can watch it on Amazon.
It should also become available for free streaming on the PBS.org website sometime tomorrow. I'll update with a link when it becomes available.

Mumei

It should also become available for free streaming on the PBS.org website sometime tomorrow. I'll update with a link when it becomes available.

Well, I'd like to watch it on my television so I'm going to have to use Amazon. But I will be sure to share that with people I know!

gohepcat

Banned
This event is a point in time where I feel like I lost any connection with pro-gun advocates.

The horrific murder of 20 six and seven year old children was not able to move the needle on any law that would cause even the slightest inconvenience during the purchase of a gun.

I just don't understand my fellow countrymen.

Chris R

Anyone else kinda disappointed with this? Granted, there was only so much they could do when they decided to stick to people directly involved and their family members.

Just seemed to lack something that the Tower doc had earlier this year.

This event is a point in time where I feel like I lost any connection with pro-gun advocates.

The horrific murder of 20 six and seven year old children was not able to move the needle on any law that would cause even the slightest inconvenience during the purchase of a gun.

Yep. Same here for me.

The problem is that small pieces of legislation will barely move the needle in terms of reducing needless gun deaths. The massive proliferation of guns have pushed us to the point where they needs to be a massive cultural and legislative shift to solve any of the problems we face. Meanwhile, any attempt to do even the smallest thing gets immediately turned into something controversial. Literally the only thing that would get guns off the streets was if masses of minorities stockpiled guns and starting shooting white people.

Media

God that was hard to watch. I cried several times. That poor community.

I wish more people were talking about this.

gohepcat

Banned
The problem is that small pieces of legislation will barely move the needle in terms of reducing needless gun deaths. The massive proliferation of guns have pushed us to the point where they needs to be a massive cultural and legislative shift to solve any of the problems we face. Meanwhile, any attempt to do even the smallest thing gets immediately turned into something controversial. Literally the only thing that would get guns off the streets was if masses of minorities stockpiled guns and starting shooting white people.

I totally agree.

Obama has said that he was shocked that the country didn't have the will to make this change. In the end, the people didn't want change.

It's not a legal thing,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom