• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Late Night hosts about mass shootings, is it time yet to talk about guns?

Dr.Acula

Banned
"By all means offer thoughts and prayers... but think about what you need to do and then pray for the courage to do it"

This line from Colbert should be demanded of every representative, every senator by everyone.

I thought Colbert made a great point. Trump has demonstrated that he can shit all over other Republicans and that they'll still support him, and that his base will never leave him, and we know that more than two-thirds of Republican voters support some kind of reform on gun control. Trump could act unilaterally on gun control, push for (for instance) a background check at gun shows, and not lose any political capital. So yes, Trump is a coward when he refuses to act.

Mikey Jr.

My dad says he has lost absolute all interest in ever visiting America again as a tourist.

A few months ago, we were floating the idea of going to Vegas late September, so that was kind of scary.

But yeah, he said there were lots of other places to go in the world.

Grand scheme it doesn't mean much, but I wonder if that is a sentiment among others as well after this.

ZeoVGM

Banned
I can’t wait for the day when repealing the 2nd Amendment becomes part of the Democratic Party platform. They won’t be able to actually repeal it but it will put the notion in the American psyche.

I mean, you're going to have to wait because that's not going to happen in your lifetime.

Kimmel has been on point lately

this perfectly sums up how I feel about it
same with the "I'll pray for ___ tonight" and similar comments
It's the least amount of effort to put in to feel good about yourself in a time of crisis.

"I prayed, my job is done, back to looking at funny memes."

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Whats wild is that everytime a shooting happens the narrative is that he was crazy.

But then they supported making it easy for crazy people to buy them.

Makes no sense.

And this is how it's been for me for the past 17 years since I first watched The Daily Show. I have seen Jon Stewart year after year come out on his show, being frustrated that another mass shooting has happened, and nothing happens. Nothing ever happens. Nothing ever changes. What is offered to the victims of a repeated crime that never stops because the lawmakers of the US. doesn't want to? "Thoughts and prayers".

Bojack fucking Horseman just a month ago in season 4 lampooned this phrase in the episode of the very same name. Regular mass shootings occured and people had reached a sort of non-caring state where they, of course to the victims, offered their "thoughts and prayers" but then just stopped caring. Cause nothing happens to respond to this, so why care? And here we are again, another mass shooting in the US. and on Twitter "thoughts and prayers" is trending, and most likely that is the only thing that is gonna happen in response to this. "Thoughts" and fucking "prayers".
I made this gif from that Bojack Horseman episode, seems it will sadly have a lot of future use.

Xgy6KLi.gif

Akronis

After the Dunblane school shooting our government immediately clamped down on gun ownership. Now we have some of the toughest laws in Europe. Anyone caught with a firearm without a licence gets an immediate 5 year prison sentence. I was amazed that after the Columbine tragedy the U.S government didn't do the same. I wonder how many more senseless tragedies it will take before the American government finally does something to protect it's people.

We'll never reach that point because the NRA and gun manufacturers lobby to prevent anything from being passed. Couple that with the fanatical gun culture in this country and it'll never be changed.

Demoskinos

I'll never understand the American obsession with the constitution. It's a religion for some people, the infallible word of god.

There are still people out there thumping the "well how else are we going to defend ourselves against a rogue government!" line.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Why would Dido's "No Freedom" be any way appropriate for a mass shooting? That was the song that was picked? With the repeating lyrics "No love without freedom"?

Keasar

There are still people out there thumping the "well how else are we going to defend ourselves against a rogue government!" line.

Government has gone rogue and deployed their carriers against the people!
uss-nimitz-supercarrier.jpg

"Dun' worry, Ah got dis."
gun_owner_soundboard_by_sanity_questionable-d4i3phg.jpg

It is silly to assume normal citizens, even with guns, can stand a chance against a government with one of the most advanced militaries in the world. Especially now that Trump pumped their budget to ridiculous.

Fuchsdh

The "evil people will just flout the laws" defense of no real gun control has to be one of the most idiotic justifications of the current political landscape. There's no other developed country on earth with the US' level of gun violence, clearly gun control can and does work. The only reason it doesn't here is because lobbyists, court opinions, and idiots make sure it doesn't.

It also ignores the fact that "responsible" gun owners are going to hurt themselves, their kids, and others far more often then they were going to either shoot up a school or defend themselves from a shooter.

Future

Trevor’s comment was brilliant. People talking about gun shootings like a natural disaster that cannot be stopped. It’s just ridiculous.

Calabi

Seriously. Never going to happen in the next 100 years. We could have another Vegas today and it wouldn't budge the needle of gun owners.

But thats the thing, you dont need to budge the gun owners, just the majority of the country. It seems like the majority of the country are for changes, thats how democracy works.

Massicot

Reading all of this shit has me tearing up at work. Everything just feels so pointless. People are reaching into their wallets and their own literal bodies to donate money and blood while politicians receive checks from the NRA and assholes on Facebook just go "bu bu bu Chicago!". It's just so incredibly disheartening.

RMI

Banned
Reading all of this shit has me tearing up at work. Everything just feels so pointless. People are reaching into their wallets and their own literal bodies to donate money and blood while politicians receive checks from the NRA and assholes on Facebook just go "bu bu bu Chicago!". It's just so incredibly disheartening.

This shit always drives me nuts because all it proves is that even the "toughest" gun laws are not tough enough.

Raven117

Something has always bothered me about late night hosts. When the Donald Drumpf John Oliver video came out and everyone thought he destroyed Trump, I tried to get my Dad to watch it and his response was "why should I care about what some British guy has to say?" Now my dad is a Fox News conservative but not a stereotypical 'murica person (he is from the northeast, Ivy League education, successful professional, etc). I wanted to dismiss his opinion as dumb or ignorant but his dismissal of John Oliver stuck with me. What made me understand my dad's dismissal is when I was listening to a Chapo Trap House episode where the hosts joked that comedians were liberals' version of "the troops." We tend to lionize people like Oliver, Colbert, etc as sane voice in an insane world, share videos where they own trump and the GOP, and get frustrated when things don't change. But in reality, a lot of American view these late night hosts the same way OP viewed Tom Lahren. Change will not come from them. Change will come from us. Jimmy Kimmel may have brought attention to health care, but it was group like ADAPT and people calling Congressmen that killed these bills. It will take people like us electing politicians who support our causes and holding them accountable when they stray. It's gonna take time but change is going to come from us actually getting out there and doing things, not just relying on late night hosts.

All I can say is...yup. I think they hurt more than the help, because the arrogance and and snark that couples with that humor permeates into the actual debate (way more than what they actually were talking about).

"Sick Burns" and "going all in" just doesn't matter....Its simply red meat for those already wanting to believe it. Comedians are simply that. There aren't enough onion posts, oliver segments, Samantha Bee clips, Kimmel preaches, Colbert rants to really move the needle that much with respect to policy...Why? Because they are Comedians. They can poke and laugh, but when it comes down to the nitty gritty, they hind behind their red nose and don't have any skin in the game. As a matter of fact, they are absolutely in a better position now that Trump is President.

Fuchsdh

This shit always drives me nuts because all it proves is that even the "toughest" gun laws are not tough enough.

I'd say it's less the toughest laws are not tough enough, and more that more stringent laws in a single city can't do jack if you can easily pop over a bridge or tunnel and get guns easily (also a case study: Washington, D.C.)

That doesn't mean state-based legislation can't have an impact, but it's essentially like vaccines; the strongest herd immunity only comes with a critical mass of states enacting similar policies.

Government has gone rogue and deployed their carriers against the people!
uss-nimitz-supercarrier.jpg

"Dun' worry, Ah got dis."
gun_owner_soundboard_by_sanity_questionable-d4i3phg.jpg

It is silly to assume normal citizens, even with guns, can stand a chance against a government with one of the most advanced militaries in the world. Especially now that Trump pumped their budget to ridiculous.

This is shopped, right? I don't see how those are all supposed to take off with so little space.

Keasar

This is shopped, right? I don't see how those are all supposed to take off with so little space.

The launch runways are actually quite short since the planes are assisted with speed using a catapult system that pulls the plane forward when it has reached a sufficient speed with the engines. The USS Nimitz (the latest of US. carrier designs) is equipped with a electro magnetic rail system (older designs used steam) that does most of the launch work of a plane. That is how you can achieve launch from a carrier with relatively small space.

That said, the planes on the pictures are just parked, they are not expected to launch from right where they stand and get in the air (unless they are VTOLs), have to be taxied over to the launch runways.

It's kind of similar to the problem of the so-called Missing Link, where each new fossil creates two more gaps.

There will always be another period of mourning.

Fox Mulder

When the GOP didn't even blink when a bunch of white kids getting killed, folks should have realized what the score was

I wish a few of them had been gunned down at that baseball game. They'll never change their minds on this, it won't matter how many people die.

America will forget about this by the weekend.

Keasar

I just realised something.

In the Trevor Noah clip, at 2:49 a man says "Certainly hotel security will be revisited across the globe after this event." Across the globe? What kind of narcissist thinks the entire world will suddenly think gunmen are gonna appear in hotel lobbies across the entire world just because it happened in Ameri~oh it's FOX News alright....

Something has always bothered me about late night hosts. When the Donald Drumpf John Oliver video came out and everyone thought he destroyed Trump, I tried to get my Dad to watch it and his response was "why should I care about what some British guy has to say?" Now my dad is a Fox News conservative but not a stereotypical 'murica person (he is from the northeast, Ivy League education, successful professional, etc). I wanted to dismiss his opinion as dumb or ignorant but his dismissal of John Oliver stuck with me. What made me understand my dad's dismissal is when I was listening to a Chapo Trap House episode where the hosts joked that comedians were liberals' version of "the troops." We tend to lionize people like Oliver, Colbert, etc as sane voice in an insane world, share videos where they own trump and the GOP, and get frustrated when things don't change. But in reality, a lot of American view these late night hosts the same way OP viewed Tom Lahren. Change will not come from them. Change will come from us. Jimmy Kimmel may have brought attention to health care, but it was group like ADAPT and people calling Congressmen that killed these bills. It will take people like us electing politicians who support our causes and holding them accountable when they stray. It's gonna take time but change is going to come from us actually getting out there and doing things, not just relying on late night hosts.

Who has even argued that nothing changes unless Comics speak up?

They have a voice that can reach millions of people who take action. Said voice can influence that action.

Stop using a lot of words to say nothing.

We'll never reach that point because the NRA and gun manufacturers lobby to prevent anything from being passed. Couple that with the fanatical gun culture in this country and it'll never be changed.

But thats the thing, you dont need to budge the gun owners, just the majority of the country. It seems like the majority of the country are for changes, thats how democracy works.

90% of the country nebulously supports some form of expanding background checks or limiting access to guns, but when actually put in writing, the numbers drop precipitously:

This highlights an odd discrepancy: While people overwhelmingly support specific gun policy ideas, like universal background checks and banning suspected terrorists from buying guns, the support is not as robust when it comes to actually expanding gun control.

The same October CBS/New York Times poll that found 92 percent support for expanded background checks also shows 46 percent of Americans think laws covering gun sales should be either made less strict or stay the same. Just 51 percent said the laws should be made more strict.

"People don't seem to like the idea of ‘gun control,' but they still want the government to do more to keep guns out of the hands of criminals and the mentally ill," said Adam Winkler, a law professor at the University of California Los Angeles and author of Gunfight: The Battle over the Right to Bear Arms in America.

Americans want less guns in the hands of "bad" people. When you explain how that can happen, the wheels fall off. My impression is that most people just enjoy patting themselves on the back about the issue. Kind of like people that say they think healthcare is broken but will never support a move towards single payer, or think police violence is out of control but will never push for reform.

Most people will pretend to care about issues like these (just wait for all those temporary FB statuses), but when it comes to holding their politicians (or parties) accountable, they'll vote along party lines anyway. There is an astounding amount of cognitive dissonance and straight up patronizing lip service in the American populace.

All Chicago proves is that city to city or state by state laws are meaningless in a national marketplace. It's like making a game console region free and then releasing your game only in Japan, of course people are still going to find a way to buy it.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The problem with the "what about the law abiding gun owners" argument is that dude was a law abiding gun owner until he sprayed thousands of bullets into a crowd.

I think it is long past the time to talk about gun control in this country. But I'll echo the sentiments of others; if Sandy Hook did not compel political action, then I am afraid this will not either.

LiK

Those Right-wingers make no fucking sense. They go out of their way to create Muslim bans for anything terror-related and yet don't want to do anything about guns.

Mahonay

Banned
The problem with the "what about the law abiding gun owners" argument is that dude was a law abiding gun owner until he sprayed thousands of bullets into a crowd.
This.

It's as if they have already glossed over the details of the biggest mass shooting in US history that just happened two days ago. The cognitive dissonance is unreal.

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!
The USA is almost like a lost cause now. The world's second largest polluter suffering terrible consequences of climate change but removing themselves from the Paris agreement. Going backwards is a fair description of everything they do now. Black people getting killed every day for nothing.

Trump etc are only partly to blame. People need to rise up and say no fucking more.

ZeoVGM

Banned
As much as I enjoy seeing Adam sing, what the hell was that song? Freedom is how this happened in the first place. Too much freedom.

To be fair, I think the idea is that people were shot in the head while being out at a concert and having fun -- i.e. "freedom." I guess.

I can’t wait for the day when repealing the 2nd Amendment becomes part of the Democratic Party platform. They won’t be able to actually repeal it but it will put the notion in the American psyche.

I'll never understand the American obsession with the constitution. It's a religion for some people, the infallible word of god.

The Second Amendment does not have to mean "anybody can get any amount of any type of gun anytime".
Here's what it says
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
There is a lot of room for interpretation, so framing the entire argument as gun control = repealing the 2nd Amendment isn't necessary, and in fact, it is self-defeating.

It is pretty fucked up that you can buy killing machines and 9/10 times won't be stopped until after you've pulled a trigger ending a life. There's no deterrence.

kiguel182

After Sandy Hook happened and guns control wasn’t implemented I stopped believing it would happen.

I’m really sorry for every American that has to feel unsafe because of this. I can’t even imagine.

Addi

The Second Amendment does not have to mean "anybody can get any amount of any type of gun anytime".
Here's what it says

There is a lot of room for interpretation, so framing the entire argument as gun control = repealing the 2nd Amendment isn't necessary, and in fact, it is self-defeating.

Oh yeah, I get that, I compared it to religion because it reminded me of religious nutcases twisting what is written for their own bigoted agenda. It doesn't only apply to gun control, but also this whole free speech debacle.

Top Bottom