• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

late to another Capcom financial crater: Haunting Ground is pretty cool.

B0007WWYLY.01._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_V64458651_.jpg

An old-school adventure game fan, a guy who really dug the Clock Tower games walks into the game store flush with cash. He walks away with something he's been meaning to play for a while.

haunting-ground-20050602033338222.jpg

haunting-ground-20050602033354502.jpg

haunting-ground-20050321020921065.jpg

haunting-ground-20050321020923893.jpg

haunting-ground-20050204045121421.jpg

I'm a couple of hours in and so far its pretty ace. The graphics are PS2-awesome, the atmosphere of the spooky old manor the game takes place in is terrific, seriously, the environements in this game are really quite spectacular. And its a little odd to play a Capcom game with great voice acting. Its occasionally kinda spooky, but it hasn't yet got to the pulse-raising levels of any of the Silent Hill games.

The only complaint I have so far is that ALL THE CUTSCENES HAVE MANDATORY SUBTITLES. How stupid is that? I can't even turn them off. Besides that one little obnoxious design choice, I'm having lots of fun wandering around an ornately designed castle, occasionally bumping into a freakish dude the size of a Mini Cooper. Anybody else catch wind of this game or am I alone in enjoying its qualities?

Picked up Capcom's survival raper for $10 last year sometime, looking for another Clock Tower 3 style of game. Very enjoyable experience.

The item creation is a little whack, being roulette-based and all.

Excellent, f*cking creepy cast of characters. I like that despite how fugly he is, Debilitas isn't even the worst of the bunch.

Takes a little patience to really get Hewie running on all cylinders, but I think it's worth it.

Zenith

Banned
The only complaint I have so far is that ALL THE CUTSCENES HAVE MANDATORY SUBTITLES. How stupid is that? I can't even turn them off.

That's a first. I've seen a lot of people with impaired hearing complaining to Capcom's tech support because a lot of their games don't have subs (at least the older ones anyway).

HyperZone<3 said:
The only complaint I have so far is that ALL THE CUTSCENES HAVE MANDATORY SUBTITLES. How stupid is that? I can't even turn them off.

One of my biggest pet peeves. Developers, please stop doing this.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
what? I hate it when there isn't any subs. All the humor in Viewtiful Joe was lost because I couldn't hear what the bosses said.

Johnas

I never played the game, but what always struck me when looking at screens was how well-done the girl's face is. I don't know if realistic is the word I'd use, maybe just natural, but I find it rather graphically impressive. A good bit of emotion present, too.

Aske

Those who want subtitles - do you really want them to be mandatory? I'm with the haters in that I find them distracting and damaging to an otherwise cinematic experience. I don't want to be forced to watch English subtitles to English dialogue in movies, and I don't want it in games either. Of course I understand why so many appreciate being able to play games with subtitles on, but I hope it's clear that the complaint here is about being forced to watch them, not about their inclusion as a feature.

More games should have more options to allow players to customise their experience; but nothing is good when it's forced down your throat.

On topic...this thread needs more Daniella.

04.jpg

Orodreth

Aske said:
More games should have more options to allow players to customise their experience; but nothing is good when it's forced down your throat.

Agreed, and not only regarding subs but audio also.

Aske said:
On topic...this thread needs more Daniella.

There
32.jpg

and to keep on topic, can someone help me find a copy on a European shop?

sky

I enjoyed this game as well... great atmosphere. A lot of it you've seen before -- the huge creepy mansion with it's strange puzzles and devices, but it comes together nicely. The paranoia your character feels is great -- when she's trying to run away from something, but in a panic starts stumbling and falling in to things... good stuff!

And how 'bout
those unlockable costumes? lawlz

Feindflug

Not my kind of game but technically was awesome, very nice graphics - 480p & 50/60Hz selector for the PAL version...a really rare thing with Capcom's PS2 games, especially the 480p support.

atomsk

Party Pooper
a reminder i still need to finish this game. i only got about 6 hours in before getting distracted by something else

daemonic

Banned
Only played through the first hour or so, but I surprisingly enjoyed it. The atmosphere is great and as someone mentioned, the girl's facial expressions really make the game.

Daigoro

pretty cool game. im a Capcom ho and it only cost me 10$ at TRU a while back. worth it.

i still havent finished it yet, but im about 2/3 of the way through i would guess. i just put it down a week or so ago. i need to pick it back up and finish it up.

the graphics are great, but the voice acting is TERRIBLE and very poorly recorded/mixed. im sure people would be complaining if there werent subtitles because some of that stuff would be almost impossible to follow some of the dialog.

i enjoy working with the dog and the puzzles havent been too obscure for me to figure out. its a good budget game.

i still havent seen any of the unlockable costumes yet. heh. ill have to check those out after i beat it (the game i mean).

bengraven

Is it worthlessly geeky of me to have wanted to play this game solely because the main character is easily one of the most attractive females in game...um...ever? Other than that, the gameplay and story seemed a bit off.

Baron

I picked this game up last night on impulse at a K-Mart where it was on clearance for $7 bucks. For me, any game is worth $7. Yes, I'll pay seven dollars for any remotely interesting sounding game. Granted, I won't pay $7 for obvious trash, but a Capcom survival-horror-esque sounding game is worth $7 just to give it a try.

Haven't had the chance to open it up yet, though. Anyone else interested in a cheap copy of it would do well to check your local K-Marts.

And is this Daniella girl shown above in the game? Rawr.

mollipen

I love almost all survival horror games, yet I couldn't stand this. The interaction with the dog was sheer torture, and ruined the game for me. If you look at Rule of Rose, you also had a dog, but the game wasn't totally built around relying on him, and he actually did what you asked him to do. The stupid dog in HG, however... if you're going to require me to rely on him for almost all of the gameplay elements, DO NOT give him a personality which makes him do whatever he damn well pleases over half of the time.

MarkMacD

Totally understand anyone hating this game (some bad puzzles, dog can be annoying, lots of unpolished aspects) but yeah, I loved it as well.

Great character designs and overall atmosphere. And you can't beat the sounds whenever anyone caught you. Just....disturbing. Need some mp3s of that stuff, stat.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I kind of liked it, but there were some really annoying aspects in there as well. The complete lack of loading screens was incredibly awesome, though, and bumped the quality of the experience up a few notches.

Fady K

I loved this one, and wonder what the team is up to now. Graphics were awesome, character model, maybe the most gorgeous game character ever, and fun game.

Story was a little cheesy, but the game was a hit for me. Did you guys know that this was on David Jaffe's favorites in 2005? Cool, eh?

Top Bottom