• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Late to play the game: Baten Kaitos

Scenester

Im not sure if there was a party or not :p

But man Im having my own party with this game. Even from the first few screens in the first village I said wow. I havent seen many prerendered backgrounds that look this good, all the subtle little animations, and the use of colour is just amazing.

And the battle system is so addicting and fun, I love it how you can customize your deck to be totally offensive, defensive or a bit of both.

The characters seem to be pretty generic jrpg fare, but the graphics and gameplay are amazing.

Ive put Zelda TP on hold because Im finding this game more fun!

lyre

After you beat BK, get BK: Origins pronto. Much better game. If you don't, Dragona will ban you.

Scenester

I dont think BK Origins got a PAL release though... a guy at my EB claims that NTSC Gamecube games will play on a PAL Wii (which I have).

Is this true? Im thinking its bullshit...

Evenball

Jack Flack always escapes!
I recently got this game myself, it's been great so far and I'm on the second disk
I'm in Woz right now and I got some card that is supposed to help Kalas become good again
. I plan on getting BKo eventually too.

Ya the game fooled me with too with its graphics.
I hope you like the gameplay and story better than I did, because the overall game was just atrocious.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Talamatross said:
I hope you like the gameplay and story better than I did, because the overall game was just atrocious.
Story in BK = meh with one or two interesting twists.

the gameplay is awesome, though. I dunno why you didn't like that. :/

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
Talamatross said:

dragona is probably gonna ban you now :D

GaimeGuy said:
Story in BK = meh with one or two interesting twists.

the gameplay is awesome, though. I dunno why you didn't like that. :/
The battle system didn't do it for me, it had barely any strategy outside taking your randomly generated hand and matching their numbers and elements right to make them more effective.
There was too much reliance on luck, this made battles turn out too hard or too easy simply based on the hand you got. Plus the whole leveling up at save points outside dungeons did not make any sense to me at all. I've got a laundry list of problems with it, but whatever.

Jiggy

Talamatross said:
The battle system didn't do it for me, it had barely any strategy outside taking your randomly generated hand and matching their numbers and elements right to make them more effective.
There was too much reliance on luck, this made battles turn out too hard or too easy simply based on the hand you got. Plus the whole leveling up at save points outside dungeons did not make any sense to me at all. I've got a laundry list of problems with it, but whatever.
What you call "luck," I call statistical likelihoods--no different than any other RPG, particularly strategy RPGs. You're the one who decides the probability of drawing a certain type of card, and you can find multiples of most every type of weapon, armor, attack, or item in the game.

Scenester

Jiggy37 said:
What you call "luck," I call statistical likelihoods--no different than any other RPG, particularly strategy RPGs. You're the one who decides the probability of drawing a certain type of card, and you can find multiples of most every type of weapon, armor, attack, or item in the game.

Exactly, I found If I was getting creamed in battles, you can customise the deck to increase the chance of drawing the right elemental attack or add more healing items or whatever.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Talamatross said:
If you're relying too much on luck, your deck is most likely too large. The solution is to figure out what cards are expendable, and remove them from your deck, increasing the odds of getting the other cards you want during battle. By making a mental note of what cards you find yourself most often swapping out during battle, you can figure out which cards you can get rid of.

It's no different than what you do in other RPGs, except instead of customizing your equipment, you're customizing your actual battle commands, basically.

I think the problems you had have less to do with the actual quality of the battle system and more to do with your less-than-stellar abilities.

Top Bottom