• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Late to the partay - Black

Grug

This game is the shit!

I thought I was burned out on console FPS games till I hooked this up.

It just feels really, really good to play. It has some strange pacing (i.e. it never changes) but it is visceral, relentless and the destructible environments are fun. :)

And best sound ever in a game? Its definately up there.

I've been told it is ridiculously short though... not sure how far I am through it.

But yeah, nice game.

koam

Grug said:
This game is the shit!

I thought I was burned out on console FPS games till I hooked this up.

It just feels really, really good to play. It has some strange pacing (i.e. it never changes) but it is visceral, relentless and the destructible environments are fun. :)

And best sound ever in a game? Its definately up there.

I've been told it is ridiculously short though... not sure how far I am through it.

But yeah, nice game.

It lets you shoot things rapidly and with massive damage, i enjoyed it. Finished it in one evening.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
koam said:
It lets you shoot things rapidly and with massive damage, i enjoyed it. Finished it in one evening.

I've been going back through this game on Hard and actually having kind of a blast. The checkpoint system is pretty lame but it's still fun.

Love shooting a guy 14 times and he's still standing!

koam

jetjevons said:
I've been going back through this game on Hard and actually having kind of a blast. The checkpoint system is pretty lame but it's still fun.

Love shooting a guy 14 times and he's still standing!

(insert peter weller in the opening scene of robocop here)

I'm not sure if it's just me, but normal seemed harder than hard.

Raistlin

Did you play it in order (normal then hard)?

Maybe it seemed like it got easier because you simply got better at the game, and also know the layout?

koam

Onix said:
Did you play it in order (normal then hard)?

Maybe it seemed like it got easier because you simply got better at the game, and also know the layout?

Heh, actually i did "hard" first.

Mmmkay

jetjevons said:
I've Love shooting a guy 14 times and he's still standing!
Pfft, headshots were much more satisfying. I had something like a 40% headshot rate on my first play through.

Kolgar

I agree; loved the game. It was loud, pretty, atmospheric, and fun. And it lasted me about 12 hours.

I'll play it again while I wait on word of a sequel.

BigBoss

These positive impressions won't last long, I can just feel the hate squad approaching. I'm thinking about picking this up, which version should I pick-up? Xbox or PS2?

Ranger X

BigBoss said:
These positive impressions won't last long, I can just feel the hate squad approaching. I'm thinking about picking this up, which version should I pick-up? Xbox or PS2?

It's the Burnout phenomenon all over again here. The Xbox and PS2 version both kick ass. Take the version for the console with your favorite controller.

Nino

*LOVES* Bob Marley
This is backwards compatible on Xbox 360 right? Anyone tried this? (maybe I'll rent it but I've had some bad experiences with b/c)

squicken

Nino said:
This is backwards compatible on Xbox 360 right? Anyone tried this? (maybe I'll rent it but I've had some bad experiences with b/c)

Yes. I played it on 360. I had a couple of reset inducing glitches, which is annoying b/c Black has a terrible save system. There has been an update subsequent to my playthrough, so it probably works better now.

Nino

*LOVES* Bob Marley
squicken said:
Yes. I played it on 360. I had a couple of reset inducing glitches, which is annoying b/c Black has a terrible save system. There has been an update subsequent to my playthrough, so it probably works better now.

Thanks, I think I'll sleep on this one some more then :)

Zabojnik

Very solid game, great presentation, but it lacks the scope and later on gets too repetitive and a little bit annoying (the damage model really is ... strange). The same problem I have now playing Urban Chaos: Riot Response. Not bad, with potencial to make a great game, didn't make it, tho.

just got this game and it's pretty awesome. graphics are gorgeous (i'm playing the xbox version on xbox 360). so far the environments have been pretty varied (cities, forests, etc). i only have 2 problems with the game:

1. there seems to be a "i'm hurt!" animation by the enemies after you shoot them. when they are in this animation, you can't shoot them again for damage. kinda sucks but ive been getting more headshots lately so maybe that is the answer.

2. are there any checkpoints in this game? i pretty much have to go from level beginning to level end without dying. it wasn't so bad the first couple levels but now its getting tougher.

anyhow i only rented the game from gamefly, but i will probably buy it when it's $19.99. definitely one of the top console FPS

edit - also to the guy who said the graphics suck.... what the ****? i haven't played the game on ps2 but if it is more or less the same as the xbox version the graphics are probably the best the system has to offer

Top Bottom