• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Late to the Toga Party: God of War, DS, Meteos, 360, etc.

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
I finally got around to playing God of War and I must say that the rumors were true: It is indeed awesome. I'm about 8 hours in and my fingers hurt, but that's a damn good thing because my fingers don't get enough workout (my forarmms are another story altogether *cough*). The graphics are some of the best PS2 has to offer (very polished and colorful; minimal tearing) and the adventure and combat aspects are superb. Some might argue that it lacks roaming and a map, but the designers made the game well enough to work without such things. There's minimal stoppage during gameplay and maximum ownage (of baddies). The difficulty left on Normal is just right, imo. I can't wait to finish the game.

I also recently took the plunge and got a DS (the Walmart mario deal was a good one) and I'm very impressed. The dpad kinda sucks but Meteos with the stylus is fucking awesome. It can't be stressed enough: Games make a system. When a system, any system, has killer games, it makes that system look SOOOOOO much better. I've logged about 8 hours in Meteos so far and it's so daaamn addicting. I'm gonna pick up a 2nd DS for my fiance so we can play head-to-head using one game cartridge. I'm planning to get Nintendogs and Kirby after I get bored (is that even possible?) of these games. Down the road, I'm looking forward to Castlevania, Nanostray, the new Mario Bros. DS, and *hopefully* a new 2D metroid made for DS. Come on NIntendo, you bastards! Give me what I want!

And, finally, my efforts to snag an Xbox 360 pre-order have been unsuccessful. WTF, I mean W-T-F is wrong with all these geeks who have pre-ordered already??? Every EB or Gamestop in my area has stopped taking pre-orders for their first shipments. I don't want to wait on any lines and sure as hell don't want to put my name down to be on a "2nd wave sometimes before Christmas" pre-order. I've got a Target and Price Club near my house, so hopefully I'll be able to walk in an pick one up at launch without too much trouble. Is it just me, or can Microsoft conceivably charge $349 and still sell out its launch allotment in North America??

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
open_mouth_ said:
And, finally, my efforts to snag an Xbox 360 pre-order have been unsuccessful. WTF, I mean W-T-F is wrong with all these geeks who have pre-ordered already??? Every EB or Gamestop in my area has stopped taking pre-orders for their first shipments. I don't want to wait on any lines and sure as hell don't want to put my name down to be on a "2nd wave sometimes before Christmas" pre-order. I've got a Target and Price Club near my house, so hopefully I'll be able to walk in an pick one up at launch without too much trouble. Is it just me, or can Microsoft conceivably charge $349 and still sell out its launch allotment in North America??

Every store around me has halted the pre-orders as well. I did mine before the MTV show. Still, I was only 2nd in line

Johnas

Make sure you grab Kirby, it's awesome, even if you don't know anything about the franchise (as was my case). It's definitely the DS killer app so far to me, but I haven't yet played Meteos. God of War is a great game, despite the bashing it gets from certain individuals around these parts.

I have a feeling you will have no trouble snagging a 360 at launch if you go to a department store.

Solid

wait till you finish god of war, the game ends in a perfect way. that's the main thing that made love the game so much. can't wait for the sequel.

JayFro

Banned
open_mouth_ said:

It seems so, I'm gonna be in line at Wal-Mart because all pre-orders in my area are either gone or 2nd or 3rd shipment. Apparently word spread pretty fast about 360 coming out in the fall and everyone wants in. Sucks for the rest of us but that's the way it is, I just hope MS makes enough units because the PS2 launch sucked and not being able to get one for 6 months was a joke.

Lo-Volt

In the long run, not making the launch may not be such a big deal. The supply and software situation has to improve by spring of 2006, and there should be enough in the current generation to keep everyone occupied. And maybe you would miss the hardware duds if Microsoft somehow plays its cards wrong.

donny2112

open_mouth_ said:
I'm gonna pick up a 2nd DS for my fiance so we can play head-to-head using one game cartridge.

If you both like to play the game, it may be worth it to buy a second cartridge. From what I've heard, meteos launched in single-cart multi-player aren't added to your totals, but meteos launched in multi-cart multi-player are. When trying to unlock everything, those extra meteos could come in handy.

Just something to keep in mind. :)

I just started playing god of war too, played around 2 hours today and... frankly... I expected more, maybe I just haven't played enough yet but so far it feels like Onimusha with greek mitology instead of japanese and some generic angst

plz don't hate me

Solid

..pakbeka.. said:
I just started playing god of war too, played around 2 hours today and... frankly... I expected more, maybe I just haven't played enough yet but so far it feels like Onimusha with greek mitology instead of japanese and some generic angst

plz don't hate me
it's okay, i felt the same way. the game gets much better when you leave athens.

edit: i mean the ship(s) :p

Solid said:
it's okay, i felt the same way. the game gets much better when you leave athens.

thanks for the heads up, I'll give it some more time

Oh, and you ps2 only owners better buy re 4 or else capcom will think the old re formula sells more and stop making them with the re4 style. I'm thinking of buying a second copy just for the ps2 extras, and again if they rerelease it on the gc, it's that good

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
I can see the Onimusha thing in small ways, but God of War seems far more visceral and better mechanically. The controls in GoW are much better, imo.

Musashi Wins! said:
I can see the Onimusha thing in small ways, but God of War seems far more visceral and better mechanically. The controls in GoW are much better, imo.

what I thought was similar with onimusha was the normal enemies (not the bosses) and the "orbs", they even have the same color and function as in onimusha

Solid

..pakbeka.. said:
Oh, and you ps2 only owners better buy re 4 or else capcom will think the old re formula sells more and stop making them with the re4 style. I'm thinking of buying a second copy just for the ps2 extras, and again if they rerelease it on the gc, it's that good
yes sir, i have it pre-ordered :)

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
I didn't really get into GoW until about 5 hours in. And the game is only about 9 hours long.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
..pakbeka.. said:

plz don't hate me

Worry not. You're not alone. I beat the game, and honestly thought it was meh all throughout. Had it been any longer, I probably wouldn't have cleared it, as I was incredibly bored by it by the time I got to the end.

Reilly

..pakbeka.. said:
Oh, and you ps2 only owners better buy re 4 or else capcom will think the old re formula sells more and stop making them with the re4 style.

That's why I'm not buying it. :)

Zeo

Banned
Hah, yeah. I might end up buying it again on PS2 just because it deserves to sell tons more than it has (which has been pretty good for GC). Granted, I feel sorry for the people actually waiting for the PS2 one, but at least there's a good chance of it selling a lot more.

(It fucking better, at least.)

Reilly said:
That's why I'm not buying it. :)

Yeah, let's go back to rehashes!!!!

Just beat God of War a couple of days ago. Loved every minute of it and it just keeps getting better as you go. There are a couple of puzzles towards the end that are really hard but they aren't so hard that you'll stop playing the game. Fantastic ending, too...and some really awesome extras. Make sure to check out the "Treasures" menu after you beat it!

the only thing re4 needed from older re's is umbrella, hunters, and maybe a few more puzzles, but there's always re5 (and from the ending of re4, I know at least one thing I missed will be back)

I loved God of War from the minute I started the game. The only section that I didn't like was the section
In hell
. Some of those climbing sections were unbearable.

Other than that the game was amazing. The epic soundtrack just pulls you into Kratos' character and makes you feel the emotions that he is feeling. The gameplay, the graphics, all of it. I just got pulled in instantly and couldn't stop playing until it was over. Love the game.

Zeo

Banned
I want to see multiple characters come back in RE5, myself. Claire, Jill, a new male character, and either Chris or Leon again. Hell, maybe 5 characters. They should all work more like RE2 in that they have different but connecting storylines. It'd work a lot better with more than 2 characters I think. And if this is on the next gen stuff, there's no reason why they couldn't do that.

It should keep the same basic gameplay as RE4, but have more classic gameplay segments with the old school camera angles and stuff. They could put in some parts like that and have it work nicely with the RE4 gameplay. I'd like it to be a city setting too, which would be -awesome- with RE4's gameplay.

Huh? Oh yeah, God of War, DS, 360..

Yeah, GoW reminded me more of Rygar than Onimusha or DMC.

ToyMachine228 said:
I loved God of War from the minute I started the game. The only section that I didn't like was the section
In hell
. Some of those climbing sections were unbearable.

Yeah that's one of the puzzles I was talking about...
the balancing beam puzzle in the Challenge Of Hades was I thought about as hard as I wanted any puzzle in that game to be but those fucking pillars in Hell...it wouldn't have been so bad if there had been a save point right before it so you could walk away and come back to it when you got frustrated, but there was a huge fight right before it and you had to do TWO of the damn things before you were allowed to save. Ultimately though I didn't mind having one incredibly difficult task in the game since everything else was so doable

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Zeo said:
I want to see multiple characters come back in RE5, myself. Claire, Jill, a new male character, and either Chris or Leon again. Hell, maybe 5 characters. They should all work more like RE2 in that they have different but connecting storylines. It'd work a lot better with more than 2 characters I think. And if this is on the next gen stuff, there's no reason why they couldn't do that.

It should keep the same basic gameplay as RE4, but have more classic gameplay segments with the old school camera angles and stuff. They could put in some parts like that and have it work nicely with the RE4 gameplay. I'd like it to be a city setting too, which would be -awesome- with RE4's gameplay.

Don't forget Krauser! (we know he survived from Assignment Ada)

Zeo said:

I want to know what happened to sheril, that epilogue in re3 indicated she was taken by the goverment or something. And Claire and Chris, I can't believe they'd simply forget their war against umbrella just because they went bankrupt "Oh, neverming all those virus smples they have in labs all over the world, their stock is worth shit right now"

GaimeGuy said:
Don't forget Krauser! (we know he survived from Assignment Ada)

Do you really think that the events of Assignment Ada are to be believed though? I thought of it more as just an extra to play through than something to expand the storyline.

ToyMachine228 said:
Do you really think that the events of Assignment Ada are to be believed though? I thought of it more as just an extra to play through than something to expand the storyline.

agreed, seemed more like a fan-service than actual story, since there are 5 samples "hidden" in assingment ada while in the main game there's only one and it's in possession of saddler by the time assignment ada suposedly happens

GaimeGuy said:
you know Krauser lived. :)

well, in a typical re fashion, the whole place exploded, so, who knows, but then, I bet krauser will be the next wesker, as in, he's immortal, knows everything and is the excuse capcom uses for plotholes. like in the wesker report, suddenly, every plot hole was somehow explained by something werker did before, even if it didn't make much sense

Top Bottom