• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Latest view of Jupiter from NASA’s Juno spacecraft

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
It's beautiful.

Is this how it would actually look if you were in a spacecraft in orbit looking out the window? i.e. this is the human-vision level colouring?

AmyS

Seeing all the clouds in some kind of 3D context instead of the vague 2D squiggle lines I've grown up with is quite amazing.

That planet looks terrifying.

W3t9Sg4.gif

Volimar:

1K4Bqgc.gif

Incredible.

KurtFehl

Because you have nothing that you otherwise look at on a regular basis of that scale and of that chemistry that would make it seem normal and, in fact, the only things that come close to it in day to day human experience are things that are explicitly man made and therefore "fake".

High altitude photos of storm systems on Earth look a little "odd" too for similar reasons but at least the collier scheme is familiar there.

It kinda looks like an oil painting

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Jupiter is the planet you throw all of your space criminals so they're never able to leave the planet.

sphinx

the piano man
it's so hard for me to grasp "gas giant".

like... what's keeping all that gas together in form of a sphere and why so much of it and when did all that gas decide "ok, particles of gas, let's stick together!"

danthefan

it's so hard for me to grasp "gas giant".

like... what's keeping all that gas together in form of a sphere and why so much of it and when did all that gas decide "ok, particles of gas, let's stick together!"

Gravity. Same reason a few AUs away a load of dust got together, formed a sphere, and a few billion years later we call it Earth.

PK Gaming

I wonder what the interior of the planet would look like. Would it be a hellish, swirling mass of gas? Like imagine being able to dive into the center (discounting the immediate feasibility).

I can't even comprehend it.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail

NORTH POLAR STORMS ON JUPITER

This image of spiral storms in the north polar region of Jupiter was captured by the Juno spacecraft during its sixth perijove flyby at an altitude of 12,579 km on May 19, 2017. Sharpness, color channel mixing, and brightness have been enhanced.

jett

D-Member
so why hasn't nasa attempted a time-lapse video of Juno approaching Jupiter like that old Voyager footage :|

EVIL

I wonder what the interior of the planet would look like. Would it be a hellish, swirling mass of gas? Like imagine being able to dive into the center (discounting the immediate feasibility).

I can't even comprehend it.

It has most likely a rocky metallic core with on top of that an ocean 50.000 kilometers deep made out of a metallic hydrogen liquid. So imagine a raging metallic ocean constantly bombarded by lightning because of the constant self perpetual storm so violent in nature, you would probably disintegrate just by wind forces alone. not something you want to take your family to for a picnic

metallic hydrogen: is molecular hydrogen which has been squeezed until it becomes liquid metal capable of conducting electricity with no resistance.

Capture.PNG

artist rendition of it

sphinx

the piano man
It has most likely a rocky metallic core with on top of that an ocean 50.000 kilometers deep made out of a metallic hydrogen liquid. So imagine a raging metallic ocean constantly bombarded by lightning because of the constant self perpetual storm so violent in nature, you would probably disintegrate just by wind forces alone. not something you want to take your family to for a picnic

metallic hydrogen: is molecular hydrogen which has been squeezed until it becomes liquid metal capable of conducting electricity with no resistance.

Capture.PNG

artist rendition of it

so there's liquid metal under those gases, moving in form of waves, just like our oceans, and they are getting bombarded by lightning?

and the Rocky core is 50'000 deep... that's about 4 times earth's diameter, right?

and that's happening right now?

I mean how likely is "most llikely"?

Izayoi

Banned
Very rarely do I email everyone in my family something, but this is one of those times. Some stunning images in here.

EVIL

so there's liquid metal under those gases, moving in form of waves, just like our oceans, and they are getting bombarded by lightning?

and the Rocky core is 50'000 deep... that's about 4 times earth's diameter, right?

and that's happening right now?

I mean how likely is "most llikely"?

Most likely as in that is the main theory since we don't really know. But these theories are not based on random scientific whims. Its like trying to guess based on evidence. We think there is a core because how planets form, but outside of that it might be just an ocean under thick clouds. It wont be gas throughout because of the pressures that are put on hydrogen atoms at the center which would definitely cause it to turn into liquid metallic hydrogen. with a spectrometer we can analyze the light spectrum of a planet which tells us about its composition, so from Jupiter's light spectrum we know its mostly hydrogen and helium and some methane

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
By the way.

If you look at The moon tonight and for the next couple of days I think. You'll be able to see Jupiter with the bake eye. At least here in the North east of the USA.

Its brighter than everything else in the sky at dusk and even after sunset.

By the way.

If you look at The moon tonight and for the next couple of days I think. You'll be able to see Jupiter with the bake eye. At least here in the North east of the USA.

Its brighter than everything else in the sky at dusk and even after sunset.
I was able to see it last night and was also able to see Saturn too. I love space so much

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Jason Major‏ @JPMajor

I processed one of the @NASAJuno P6 raw map-projected images and rotated it 180º and look: Jovey McJupiterface

XwpDoVy.jpg

Top Bottom