• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Latest Windows update has completely messed up my PCs gaming performence

Rbk_3

Glad it worked for you, but at the same time it's fucking depressing we have to do this. Absolute shit show.

Tell me about it. I have spent so many hours over the last 2 days trying to fix this and it was as simple as that.

When people say "consoles just work" they are right about that. Man that was stressful. The first real issue I have had with my Pc

Tell me about it. I have spent so many hours over the last 2 days trying to fix this and it was as simple as that.

When people say "consoles just work" they are right about that. Man that was stressful. The first real issue I have had with my Pc

It's not always like this, I swear!

Tygamr

Sounds like a Gsync/Refresh rate issue to me. What monitor do you have, and what's it set to in Windows?

That's actually what I was thinking. I'm using a TV rather than a monitor so that may be the issue? But it hasn't been a problem until now. Is there a windows setting in the control panel or device manager?

That's actually what I was thinking. I'm using a TV rather than a monitor so that may be the issue? But it hasn't been a problem until now. Is there a windows setting in the control panel or device manager?

It's nothing to do with that if it's the same problem I have. Completely wiping the drivers in safemode doesn't work either. What are your specs out of curiosity?

I've actually had a longstanding issue that I can't figure out. Sometimes Overwatch launches at 20fps. I restart my computer and it works fine. Soooooooooo yeah. I wonder what the hell is going on. If anyone can offer some suggestions that would be amazing. :)

I have that too. It's weird.

EDIT: Specifially with Overwatch.

riflen

I have that too. It's weird.

EDIT: Specifially with Overwatch.

It could be fast boot, yet again. Or specifically how the GPU drivers behave with the fast boot feature turned on.
If you're using Windows 8 or 10 and you have Fast Boot or Fast Start-up enabled (it's on by default), then starting your computer from cold (after a shutdown) is not the same as performing a reboot.

Fast boot is a feature meant to speed up boot times. When enabled, shutting down Windows actually performs a hibernate and leaves all kernel drivers loaded, including the GPU driver. When you turn on again, the PC resumes from hibernation. Some GPU drivers do not play nice with this in some PCs. The only way to do a true cold start, is to start up Windows, then perform a restart. This could explain the different behaviour you see.

Microsoft really need to be admonished for changing something so fundamental and not very clearly telling the user what's going on. GPU vendors are also to blame on this.

Top Bottom