• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Layers of Fear - Official Gameplay Walkthrough

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Get an exclusive first-look at the gameplay of Layers of Fear, the series’ crowning work, in this 11-minute walkthrough.

Follow the Painter from the original Layers of Fear, and join the Writer — a recently unveiled character — for a closer look at the latest installment in the Layers franchise.

As The Writer, enter the lone and ghastly Lighthouse — a newly-introduced location — and uncover an untold story that links all of the Layers’ characters and events together. Unravel secrets, solve puzzles, and face the threats of the old Mansion that can only be solved with a lantern — a new and essential tool to confront the nightmares in the game!

Feast your eyes on the vibrant visuals powered by Unreal Engine 5, featuring technologies like Lumen, Ray Tracing, HDR, volumetric lighting and Niagara–creating graphics as lifelike as possible.

The canvas awaits its final brushstrokes.
The stage calls for its lead actor.
The novel needs its final chapter.
It’s time to face your fears.
One. Last. Time.

Layers of Fear coming out June 2023 on PC, PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X, and Xbox Series S.

Kacho

A sequel titled Layers of Fear 2 was announced in October 2018 and was released on May 29, 2019.[3] A second sequel, titled Layers of Fears, is set to launch in early 2023.
Tom Delonge Wtf GIF

Dear god. Bloober must be stopped

ElCasual

Layers of Sleep. I fall sleep the first time that played this "game" BORING and TEDIOUS. WHAT THE @-$-$(#($+$ Konami was thinking when give SH to this mediocre Studio.

Last edited:

CamHostage

So, not to spoil the run here of "Fuck Bloober / Fuck Konami" posts, but for an alternate line of conversation...

Layers of Fear (or "Layers of Fears" will likely be one if not the first commercial game released that is built upon Unreal Engine 5*. Layers of Fear was specifically made to explore and take advantage of Nanite and Lumen in a horror project. The studio says, "Built on Unreal Engine 5, Layers of Fear supports Ray Tracing, HDR and 4K resolution to make the stunning visuals, and your nightmarish experience, as immersive and realistic as possible." This won't be a grand, AAA effort, some major showcase for the engine; it's independently made by a secondary studio even to Bloober Team, and is largely a remake of the previous two Layers of Fear games. However, with UE5 hunger being unsatiated for so long, it may be worth looking at this as a use of that technology, particularly since it's partly a remake and so can be compared version to version.

So, there's at least one possible reason to sim this walk...

49mmRQN.jpg

(*Prior to June 2023, UE5 of course was used for the Matrix Awakens demo and the Fortnite upgrade, plus some UE5 PC projects in beta tests have been out there. Nothing else on console has been or is scheduled before then, and on PC even it's still a lot of demos but not much by way of real games. Some bloggers without citation say Redfall is a UE5 project but AFAIK Bethesda/Arkane only say it's "Unreal Engine", no specifics. STALKER 2 was supposed to be first out the gate, with UE5 features integrated into the existing UE4 project to whatever degree that was upgraded by the time the studio got access, but people know what's going on with that game and why it doesn't have its date anymore. So correct me if I'm wrong about UE5 history and I missed something scheduled or out; either way, the Unreal function usage in Layers will be something that gets dug into.)

Last edited:

ZoukGalaxy

I don't get it, what is this ? A remake ? A re-release ? And why ?

Confused Little Girl GIF

I played it on PC, I'm still searching the fear, it's such a very average game. Like said before, it's more layers of sleep than fear.

Last edited:
Top Bottom