• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Layoffs at 2K Marin (Bioshock 2 & The Bureau) ; RPS sources: studio's dead.

Saty

The Polygon news:
A 2K representative confirmed that the studio underwent "staff reductions" today.

"We can confirm staff reductions at 2K Marin. While these were difficult decisions, we regularly evaluate our development efforts and have decided to reallocate creative resources. Our goal to create world-class video game titles remains unchanged," the representative explained.
http://www.polygon.com/2013/10/17/4...-declassified-dev-2k-marin-undergoing-layoffs

RPS: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/201...ioshock-2-dev-essentially-closed/#more-173109
Now then, the really, really unfortunate news: all of our sources – who wished to remain anonymous – agreed that 2K Marin is “essentially” done for. If what they said is true, the forecast is looking fairly bleak at this point.

But what happens next? That part is, for the moment, less clear. Multiple sources alleged that 2K will probably give first-in-line privileges to former 2K Marin employees who apply to work at Gears of War/BioShock Infinite producer Rod Fergusson’s new 2K studio in the Bay Area.

Another source, however, made a significantly less optimistic claim:

“A couple of weeks ago, the new 2K team in Novato (the one Rod Fergusson is leading) interviewed and made offers to a small number of 2K Marin team members. I don’t know exactly how many, but it wasn’t a lot. It sounds like everyone who was not offered a position on that team was let go today

JNT

Not surprising considering the reception of The Bureau, but it really sucks that a single game can sink an entire studio.

Xater

Sadly not exactly surprising. Development of the Bureau was by all accounts very troubled. I am sure 2K was not exactly happy how long the game took, it's Metacritic and it's sales.

Vibranium

Banned
Hope everyone land on their feet, I liked Bioshock 2 when I played it on consoles a while ago and I'll pick it up during a Steam sale too, good thing the game was supported by the multiplayer developers.

Sneds

Sad to hear. I haven't played The Bureau but loved Bioshock 2 and Minerva's Den. Obviously the human cost is the most important thing though and I hope that everyone affected lands on their feet.

This news isn't all that surprising to me after having read Polygon's piece on the development hell The Bureau went through. It's worth reading.

A shame, but good heavens, I wish they had stuck to their guns on the original vision of The Bureau, because what was dropped from the shivering loins of Marin was a missed opportunity.

A bad cocktail of events and production choices. That game was the disappointment of the year.

Almighty

Make one bad game - lose job. Harsh.

That's AAA development for ya.

Anyway I hope the employees quickly land on their feet. The Bureau(or whatever it was called then) did fall off my radar once the turn based XCOM was announced. On a selfish note I am glad the turn based one was made or The Bureau probably would of been the last XCOM game.

moho-foe

Neo Member
damn. this is weird because i've been to this studio... very cool place. nice people. sucks all around.

the north bay is officially less cool now.

Depressing to see, Bioshock 2 was an underrated gem that not enough people gave a chance to.

Very true. Play the game for those who haven't. It's NOT a cash in or unnecessary in any way possible. In fact, the two titles compliment each other very well.

Confirmed by a BioShock zealot.

Jintor

A pity. Bioshock 2 was pretty great. Haven't played the Bureau yet but from all accounts it's a lot better than something that was stuck in development hell for years has any right to be.

Good luck to those out there now looking for work.

faridmon

Sad to hear that. It wasn't their fault that The Bureau turned out to be the way it did. The Original Xcom FPS had great ideas and looked promising, until 2K decided it wasn't good enough since the RTS one was doing bangers for them.

The World is an unfair place :(

A pity. Bioshock 2 was pretty great. Haven't played the Bureau yet but from all accounts it's a lot better than something that was stuck in development hell for years has any right to be.

Good luck to those out there now looking for work.

It certainly is. Squad mechanics are really great, especially with the perma-death aspect, which helps brings a fair amount of strategy into the game.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Man, the worst of all if that the studio is full of great people. Just that 2K had the bloody intent of having to get The Bureau out of the gate.

I hope everyone lands in great studios.

SeanNoonan

It's a shame because they made the best Bioshock. But that was a while ago, potentially a bunch of key staff had moved on and/or they couldn't quite get it together to build a fresh game on their own. Either way, if this is true, then I wish them all the best, and hope everyone lands on their feet.

Mugatu

That sucks, hopefully all affected will find opportunities elsewhere real quick, hate to see more unemployed people right before the holidays and right when everyone else is gearing up for next gen.

DasFool

Quite a shame. I didn't like Bioshock 2 at launch, but a recent replay made me appreciate it much more. Underrated game. Hope these guys can find jobs.

Top Bottom