• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Leaked email reveals Texas Gov. Greg Abbot fears his state will go blue in November

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because the majority of people live in cities. Look at Oregon:

sy1noUl.png

The majority of people live in the blue areas.

By the same token, look at the entire US in 2012:

2012-Election-County-By-County-570x346.png

That was a blowout win for the Democrats.The population is not evenly distributed, so you'll have huge tracts of land in Western states that have the same population as a tiny little blue dot where NYC is.

All that said, I really doubt Texas is going blue this year. I still think Hillary is virtually guaranteed to win, but I don't think her victory involves Texas.

Nekofrog

Banned
It would surprise me if it did. I definitely think a lot of ground will be gained by democrats in Texas this election (and I mean a LOT), but not quite enough to tip it.

Would love it if it did though

antonz

Texas shift is inevitable. Their tax policies grab companies from California etc. who then bring their workers with them. The influx from California etc. is generally blue state leaning population.

Throw in the Hispanic population on top of the other stuff and its a recipe for a blue shift. Its generally what's happening to all of the states that were once solid red.

rokkerkory

Texas shift is inevitable. Their tax policies grab companies from California etc. who then bring their workers with them. The influx from California etc. is generally blue state leaning population.

Throw in the Hispanic population on top of the other stuff and its a recipe for a blue shift. Its generally what's happening to all of the states that were once solid red.

I would love this in my lifetime

elguero

Most of my conservative friends were big time Cruz supporters. They're all sitting out this election. Not only could Texas be closer to turning blue than in my entire life time, the Democrats should also pull off some shocking wins down the ticket.

Jeels

As a Houstonian, this map scares the shit out of me because it really represents the RACIAL make up of the city well. The purple areas are super diverse (or heavily Asian), the blue areas are either primarily hispanic or African American, and the red areas are predominately white.

So sad...

jmdajr

As a Houstonian, this map scares the shit out of me because it really represents the RACIAL make up of the city well. The purple areas are super diverse (or heavily Asian), the blue areas are either primarily hispanic or African American, and the red areas are predominately white.

So sad...

Yup

d3adb296_o.png

white=blue
black=green
orange=hispanic
red-asian

This sounds like a fund raising email. This is how it bounces back and forth on both sides. Telling supporters that if they don't support you more ($) then those godless heathens are going to win.

Yeah Virginia's transformation from ruby red to battleground to safe blue is a model for other states undergoing demographic shifts.

We just need enough red voters from blue states to move to flyover states to make sure they don't flip to red.

It's gerrymandering the presidential election via states, only completely uncoordinated. :lol

How can this happen with how gerrymandered the districts are?

Gerrymandering only matters for House elections on the national level and state elections. Senate and presidential elections take the whole state into account, and Republicans are going to be losing the demographic battle in Texas for a while unless they can actually get over themselves and start courting Latino voters.

It's just Abbot trying to scare people into donating money. Trump is ahead nearly 10 points there, and they don't have a gubernatorial election until 2018.

jmdajr

Wonder how many will vote straight ticket GOP, but go back to edit and remove the vote for Trump.

I mean I assume you can do that.

Knoxcore

It's my hope pollsters are vastly underestimating Latino turnout and overestimating non-college educated whites. That would turn in a couple surprises.

It's just Abbot trying to scare people into donating money. Trump is ahead nearly 10 points there, and they don't have a gubernatorial election until 2018.

270towin.com has Texas at Trump up just 4, and electoral-vote.com has it at Trump up 7. NYT has Trump up 9. These are all averages (of not very many polls, since Texas isn't considered in play).

All down from prior election results. How much is Trump and how much demographics, who knows. But although you're right and Texas isn't really at risk, it's not based on nothing.

While everyone is right to correct the people asking about gerrymandering (and I'd probably be correcting them myself if there weren't enough already,) gerrymandering can influence a statewide vote. Turnout can be depressed in districts where gerrymandering has made them uncompetitive, whether by the minority party running a weak candidate or no candidate whatsoever. When's there's 7-8 million voters even a small depressing effect can mean thousands or even tens of thousands of votes.

Long story short: Gerrymandering's bad, m'kay.

digdug2k

I still think its moronic that ANY of the states are winner takes all at this point, let alone the vast majority of them.

jmdajr

Looking at my sample ballot, there is like only 1 congressional district up for grabs. No Senate seats. Fucking lol how these are drawn.

Vote for President, and like a million judges.

I still think its moronic that ANY of the states are winner takes all at this point, let alone the vast majority of them.
Look at it from the perspective of the state leaders (who decide how they'll allocate their electoral votes,) WTA maximizes the influence of the state in the Electoral College.

Looking at my sample ballot, there is like only 1 congressional district up for grabs. No Senate seats. Fucking lol how these are drawn.

Vote for President, and like a million judges.
Why would you have more than 1 congressional district?

I don't think it will happen this cycle, but Texas has been looking like it will go blue eventually for awhile now. Trump's racism that's encouraging hispanic people to register to vote is just speeding up the process.

Jeels

lol that is one segregated city.

d3adb296_o.png

You say that but Houston is one of the least segregated cities in the country...you should look at other maps, they are significantly worse.

Beyond that Houston is also the most diverse city in the country and race relations are generally great compared to other US cities.

jmdajr

Look at it from the perspective of the state leaders (who decide how they'll allocate their electoral votes,) WTA maximizes the influence of the state in the Electoral College.

Why would you have more than 1 congressional district?

Houston is kind of wack. This is my area representatives.

74a4d066_o.png

ZOONAMI

Every state will be a blue state outside of some southern states and sodak, nodak, Montana, and a few others within the next 10 years. Old racist religious white folk are dying off and the demographics are changing in the states with bigger populations.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
FYI to my fellow Texans early voting starts on 10/24 and ends on 11/4 if you want to avoid bigger crowds on election day.

jmdajr

Man now out in the burbs, I have zero DEM representatives. LOL.

Not the case when I was living in the inner city
hood

mo60

Every state will be a blue state outside of some southern states and sodak, nodak, Montana, and a few others within the next 10 years. Old racist religious white folk are dying off and the demographics are changing in the states with bigger populations.

The south will be mostly red but states like Texas, South Carolina, Arizona, North Carolina, Georgia, Virgina will be more blue or turn into battleground states, the midwest will start turning more red besides Illonis .

If Texas went blue this year I'd really start to think we might see a landslide election

Hilary needs a 13 or 14 point win nationally to win texas most likely. She will definitely lose the state by less than 10 points this year. I don't see trump winning many states by 10 points on November 8th at this point.

Houston is kind of wack. This is my area representatives.
Houston is not so wack that you would have more than one congressional district on your ballot. You only have one representative in the House. Not sure which particular district you live in, but if you're in one of the two you listed in your photo, you'll have either 2 or 3 candidates to choose from for US Representative:

US Representative, District 7:
James Cargas - D
John Culberson (i) -R

US Representative, District 10:
Tawana W Cadien - D
Bill Kelsey - L
Michael T McCaul (i) - R

The lack of a US Senate race for you this year is a function of 6 year Senate terms and only two Senate seats to be decided over the course of three election cycles, not "Fucking lol how these are drawn."

Zoe

I'm skeptical about that. My area has gotten more red as the Californians have come in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom