• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Leaked pics of the EGX booth for the new Total War

Kyonashi

In that case, OP, I hope you got a permission to post those.
I've been in trouble for such things before. I learned my lesson :D

See you on EGX!

I didn't, but i thought as its covered up anyway and the reveal is tomorrow, it's not that much of an issue. It's a one page thread on GAF, tomorrow the news will be out anyway, and really all people in this thread are doing is speculating anyway

I've removed them now to be safe, y'all can wait until tomorrow

Delixe

Neo Member
I would also be good with Warhammer. Just as long as it's not with a cross of melee and gunpowder units, I'll be good.
That would be very hard to do as mixing melee and gunpowder is what the Empire, Dwarfs and Skaven do best.

What gripes do you have with the game engine, or is this just an easy drive-by?

... drive-by about a PC strategy game? Who would do that?

Its awful 1-1 combat and nearly non-existant unit collision completely broke land battles, starting with Empire. Surprisingly Shogun 2 fared a bit better, but Rome 2 went back to being horrible, and is a big reason it's a mediocre game.

Pooya

Add AI path finding to that too. Still terrible. The games just don't feel as responsive as they should.

Sober

I've never experienced these unit collision issues; or rather, I never know what people actually mean by them. Is this a clipping issue? Or that they sometimes bunch up if you start issuing multiple attack orders on a single unit when they're all approaching in the same direction? I've never noticed the latter.

And a bunch of Rome 2 units have formation attack which basically takes out all the 1v1 fights when they are in it, so it's back to glorified shoving matches with sharp sticks again.

Wounded

What gripes do you have with the game engine, or is this just an easy drive-by?

I don't know if it's just me but I found that Rome 2 was a huge step back in terms of image quality. Their anti aliasing solution is very poor, especially compared to how great Shogun 2 can look.

I've never experienced these unit collision issues; or rather, I never know what people actually mean by them. Is this a clipping issue? Or that they sometimes bunch up if you start issuing multiple attack orders on a single unit when they're all approaching in the same direction? I've never noticed the latter.

And a bunch of Rome 2 units have formation attack which basically takes out all the 1v1 fights when they are in it, so it's back to glorified shoving matches with sharp sticks again.

Pretty much everything about this video and its follow-up is spot-on

Herne

Mongols? Meh. Lack of unit variety was one of Shogun 2's few problems. Not for me. Oh well, plenty more down the line...

nico1982

I'd preorder Warhammer: Total War right away :O

Anyway, the armor could be persian. The guy resembles the Prince of Persia protagonist rather than Tamerlane or Gengis Khan. Traits are not asian.

I'd preorder Warhammer: Total War right away :O

Anyway, the armor could be persian. The guy resembles the Prince of Persia protagonist rather than Tamerlane or Gengis Khan. Traits are not asian.

They've never covered ancient Greece properly, have they, aside from that Alexander expansion.

Persia, Athens, Sparta, India - could be head-bangingly good.

Kinthalis

Banned
Rome 2 > Empire > Shogun 2 > Napoleon > Medieval 2, consistently, according to Steam stats. Other than Med 2, the first 4 on the list require Steam.

Also to be more specific, TW attracts a lot of Eurocentric history fetishists that are completely batshit insane. So that's what I mean when I say a non-Europe campaign map would drive them absolutely bonkers. (They also hate the thought of Warhammer).

I think the issue is that Europe, for most of history, was a lot more diverse than Asia. Which I think it's why people think of it as a more interesting setting.

Take Shogun 2. It's a good game, but the diversity in the roster is almost non-existant. No big suprise that the people on the same island will field very similar troops.

Still that period in Japan's history featured a ton of faction fighting for control of Japan, so that's interesting.

Anyone know WHEN today we can expect the announcement?

Tamanator

My history teacher said that a lot of history professors and scholars HATE when people talk about the Middle Ages as the Dark Ages, because it insinuates that it was a dark time all over the world, when is in fact only Europe. It's the arrogance of European historians to think that the state of the world is up to how Europe feels. The middle east, the far east. Lots of things were going on that wasn't so dark.

Not to mention that the 'Dark Ages' in Europe wasn't that dark and backward at all. It's a misconstrued term that isn't helpful for any type of historian (Most European historians elect against using it these days).

Kinthalis

Banned
Not to mention that the 'Dark Ages' in Europe wasn't that dark and backward at all. It's a misconstrued term that isn't helpful for any type of historian (Most European historians elect against using it these days).

Exactly. In fact, most modern, scholarly references now refer to it as the migration period which gives way to the early middle ages.

Lots of stuff was happening in Europe and elsewhere during this time.

Dolor

That would be very hard to do as mixing melee and gunpowder is what the Empire, Dwarfs and Skaven do best.

Probably not up on my Warhammer lore, but I meant if it's a historical context. For Warhammer, I am fine with it because it would be balanced theoretically. In historical periods though, gunpowder units have such an advantage that the game becomes unbalanced to me.

RulkezX

Disappointed.

It's over 18 months since they announced they had the Warhammer license, and not a single game announced.

Enosh

I admit I might very well be, I'm not veyr familiar with Asian history. I'm picturing a huge China and some tiny sates by comparison around it. But maybe I'm wrong, woudl love it if you could elucidate.
dude asia is fucking huge, there is china but there is also india and japan and the mongols and persia, middle east etc etc

Top Bottom