• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Learn How To Get Away With Murder In Yandere Simulator (PC)

We're getting a bunch of videos and perhaps a fun new feature. April is going to be a fun month it seems. :O

So who's going to create Yandere-chan in Dark Souls 3

Quixzlizx

I think ojou means a high-class lady so rich women with butlers and maids and shit. And hime is actually a princess so nobility.

I asked because it seemed like the hime in the video was more of an ojou-sama and not literally a princess.

Edit: Or is that supposed to be a tiny crown on her head.

McNum

I'm honestly way beyond caring about his email issues at this point. Developer communications is a solved problem. If he doesn't want a secretary, fine, there are other ways. But if you do something interesting and have your email address out in the open, you will get those eighteen thousand emails he mentioned.

He's asking fire not to burn or water not to be wet. Humans are curious creatures. The response he's getting is, honestly considering that the channel has half a million subscribers, incredibly subdued. He has a clear list of topics he wants to know about, and a preferred layout of each kind of email. This sounds like a job for Captain E-Mail Form! But what do I know, I'm just one of 480,000 fans who didn't send email and still had to be yelled at for doing so.

Terrell

This looks like an ad to send him more email.

This is a bad post and you should feel bad.

I'm honestly way beyond caring about his email issues at this point. Developer communications is a solved problem. If he doesn't want a secretary, fine, there are other ways. But if you do something interesting and have your email address out in the open, you will get those eighteen thousand emails he mentioned.

He's asking fire not to burn or water not to be wet. Humans are curious creatures. The response he's getting is, honestly considering that the channel has half a million subscribers, incredibly subdued. He has a clear list of topics he wants to know about, and a preferred layout of each kind of email. This sounds like a job for Captain E-Mail Form! But what do I know, I'm just one of 480,000 fans who didn't send email and still had to be yelled at for doing so.

Yeah, because NO ONE has EVER abused an email form.

And if you don't send him email, do what I did: "Oh, this video is about email. I don't send him email and have no intentions of doing so." *Close YouTube video*

Y'know... like a sensible person.

A-V-B

Yandere Simulator's BIGGEST Problem

20 minutes of him telling people to stop messaging him, basically. Apparently he refuses to get a secretary because he doesn't trust anyone but himself.

Being a solo dev sounds awful.

Y'know, he can find most fan art of his game on deviantart or tumblr or whatever if he wants to see it, and if he wants to, he can ask volunteers who have already worked with him if they'd like to work with him again, or if they know anybody else who would.

Then he could divorce himself entirely from looking at public e-mails, set up a totally private e-mail that he would give to only a few people, and he could stop being so angry about all this.

I get it, he still likes to be involved, but only when it makes him happy, and if he's so unhappy and it's literally interfering with his work, it's time for him to decide what's important. Checking e-mails? Or working on your dream project? I mean, to me that'd be an easy answer but I'm obviously not him so who knows...

20 minutes of him telling people to stop messaging him, basically. Apparently he refuses to get a secretary because he doesn't trust anyone but himself.

This has been an issue that has been haunting him for some time now. I feel bad for the guy but this is indeed the issue when you have a public email that only you manage.

He more than likely has a reason for keeping the public email, otherwise he would have shut it down a while ago. He clearly expresses how he doesn't want to be angry and grouchy with fans who want to contact him, so it's not like he's keeping it up solely because he wants to. And while it's unfortunate that he won't get a secretary, I can understand his reasons.

I'm one of those many fans who don't pester him with emails, so I guess I'm helping development. Woohoo.

are we allowed to ship yanderedev with green hair yet

Edit: also I liked it better when yanderedev was a disembodied voice

McNum

Yeah, because NO ONE has EVER abused an email form.

And if you don't send him email, do what I did: "Oh, this video is about email. I don't send him email and have no intentions of doing so." *Close YouTube video*

Y'know... like a sensible person.
Of course they have. It's not a perfect solution, but it's better than no solution. Producer, Director, Lead Programmer, and Community Manager are all different jobs. If he won't get help to offload any of that, then at least use some technology to alleviate it. It's a solved problem, one with many different solutions, some of which can be used together. But some people need to learn the hard way. And this is the example of that. He can't stop people from emailing him. It just doesn't work like that. Not after he made a publicly available email address to contact him. If you do that, people will contact you, both those you want to and those you do not. I'm thinking that in a few days we'll get another video about how this video caused his incoming email to explode.

Which of course it will. He just reminded everyone that you can send email to him and that he actually does read them. Some will do it in hopes of getting an angry reply, too. The Internet is sadly predictable like that. He just told, again, to every troll on the Internet that sending him emails annoys him. It's not hard to see what happens next, is it?

Terrell

Of course they have. It's not a perfect solution, but it's better than no solution. Producer, Director, Lead Programmer, and Community Manager are all different jobs. If he won't get help to offload any of that, then at least use some technology to alleviate it. It's a solved problem, one with many different solutions, some of which can be used together. But some people need to learn the hard way. And this is the example of that. He can't stop people from emailing him. It just doesn't work like that. Not after he made a publicly available email address to contact him. If you do that, people will contact you, both those you want to and those you do not. I'm thinking that in a few days we'll get another video about how this video caused his incoming email to explode.

Which of course it will. He just reminded everyone that you can send email to him and that he actually does read them. Some will do it in hopes of getting an angry reply, too. The Internet is sadly predictable like that. He just told, again, to every troll on the Internet that sending him emails annoys him. It's not hard to see what happens next, is it?

Email forms aren't an imperfect solution, they're a layer of abstraction with the exact same net result, thus no real solution at all.

I actually watched the video now to understand the scope of the problem and it sounds to me like he doesn't actually get a whole lot of trolling emails, just people who think they're being constructive or helpful who actually aren't, so why would there be a sudden uptick now, after the latest in multiple attempts to address his email problem that you're so sick of hearing about? You're addressing problems he doesn't even seem to have.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Interesting idea but looks rough right now.
Incredibly stupid name though. People need to stop naming their games "... Simulator". That joke is done

So agreed. I don't even want to know how many actually cool games I missed 'cause I didn't bother reading up on them due to this stupid meme. Instantly thinking of stupid physics based bullshit without gameplay and filing any game under "nope".

Edit: lol, didn't even realize how big the thread is alredy. Sort of lttp :p

McNum

Email forms aren't an imperfect solution, they're a layer of abstraction with the exact same net result, thus no real solution at all.

I actually watched the video now to understand the scope of the problem and it sounds to me like he doesn't actually get a whole lot of trolling emails, just people who think they're being constructive or helpful who actually aren't, so why would there be a sudden uptick now, after the latest in multiple attempts to address his email problem that you're so sick of hearing about? You're addressing problems he doesn't even seem to have.
Ah, but the layer of abstraction IS what I'm talking about. It is proper, good, interaction design to make any task you want the user to perform as easy and hassle-free as possible. But... what if you don't? What if you want it to be difficult enough that only the more determined users will bother?

I don't see any solution that will stop all the email, but I do see ways to slow it. And this 20 minute video just isn't it. It's in the wrong place, in the wrong format. No one who wants to email YandereDev will watch this first. But an easy to read, spelled out nag screen that has to be clicked through before even seeing the email address, or as a Reddit user suggested, on bootup of the debug builds would be much more effective. It just has to be professionally annoying. You know, look proper and all that. But increase the amount of clicks needed to get to the "send email" part.

You lose a not insignificant amount of users per page you need to click through. Why do you think Amazon made that one-click ordering? So, DO make click-throughs, lose users, get fewer emails. Using interaction design to be annoying is a valid, if twisted, use of that craft.

Sad to see the amount of hate YDev is getting over this video (On other boards mostly). I mean, he's just one guy who had his popularity balloon out of control rapidly, attracting a crowd out of idiots/trolls to him and his hobby project.

Being indie ain't easy. This is basically the same scenario that all but drove Notch into a mental breakdown where he wallowed in his wealth in a corner.

Edit: I mean, this is EVAXephon's first game. Most other Indies are by former AAA's who took their ball&team and left after decades of AAA publisher focus testing fuckery.

Yeah, I think he'd be better off hiring some form of secretary/manager for this. I understand that he's mostly a one man operation and couldn't feasibly have a dedicated PR department like a big studio, but if he's willing to get outside help for in-game assets and such, then I don't get why he'd have such a big problem doing the same with this. Either way, I hope he can find some sort of solution to his problem sooner than later.

Quixzlizx

He should just delete useless e-mails instead of typing up angry replies explaining how the e-mails are useless. That would probably save him some time.

Azuran

Banned

He seriously needs to get himself a secretary or manager now because things are only going to get even worse for him as the game continues to growth. It's impossible to solo everything especially if he's planning on setting a kickstarter later for the game.

I understand why he wants to do his dream project by himself but you gotta start trusting people to help or he's risking burning himself out and having a complete mental breakdown.

Yeah, I think he'd be better off hiring some form of secretary/manager for this. I understand that he's mostly a one man operation and couldn't feasibly have a dedicated PR department like a big studio, but if he's willing to get outside help for in-game assets and such, then I don't get why he'd have such a big problem doing the same with this. Either way, I hope he can find some sort of solution to his problem sooner than later.

I mean, get this, there are people out there openly accusing YDev of running a fly by night operation where he's going to take Kickstarter money and run because he isn't running the project under his EVAXephon handle - Which he made some *very powerful* enemies in the indie world under. Ones who's word alone can (Has) shut down otherwise successful Kickstarters if they decide they don't like the guy running the show.

I mean, get this, there are people out there openly accusing YDev of running a fly by night operation where he's going to take Kickstarter money and run because he isn't running the project under his EVAXephon handle - Which he made some *very powerful* enemies in the indie world under. Ones who's word alone can (Has) shut down otherwise successful Kickstarters if they decide they don't like the guy running the show.

Whoa, where's all this drama coming from? I didn't realize there was such a history attached to the guy behind this.

Whoa, where's all this drama coming from? I didn't realize there was such a history attached to the guy behind this.

http://yanderedev.tumblr.com/post/119788924775/recent-allegations

etc etc.

There's been a smear-campaign going on against him and YSimulator for a while now, and it's part of the reason (If not, THE reason) the game got banned from Twitch. Some really vicious stuff going against him ever since he swore off 4Chan. A certain group that's name shall not be said may or may not be involved in the campaign against YDev/EVAXephon, but I don't have any hard-evidence at the moment.

Don't believe the lies, people. EVAXephon is a good guy.

Nightbird

I've seen it, and it was very good. He made it clear that his goal is to make a Game that represents his own take on the Hitman formula.

Makes me really excited for this game.

If he's gonna make his Kickstarter, this should be the video on the page. (Or a modified version of it)

The more I watch these videos the more it feels like Yandere-dev is way over his head with this game. Maybe it's the way he talks about features and concepts that are coming or is on his to-do list but it all feels very amateurish.

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member
The more I watch these videos the more it feels like Yandere-dev is way over his head with this game. Maybe it's the way he talks about features and concepts that are coming or is on his to-do list but it all feels very amateurish.
No way, mate. I've listened to enough of the Dwarf Fortress Podcast to know how much one dedicated lunatic can pull off. I think this is more due to most game development not being open enough to give people an idea about the many thoughts and considerations that go into game design and hence the impression of what's "normal" or "feasible" being skewed.

Go back a year ago and watch the videos then, then see where the game is now. He's ambitious, but he's ambitious with really good planning skills and he's already accomplished a ton since the game started development 2 years ago.

Anyone that is willing to stick out a game with a constant update cycle for 2 years and accomplishing as much as Yandere-Dev has is worthy of your respect and trust.

Jintor

I kinda wish he hadn't dropped so much plot/char details beforehand though. It's no skin off my back since I don't actually look up any of that stuff, but I had a quick glance and the tvtropes article is already moronically huge... which doesn't mean anything, of course, but it kinda weirds me out.

The BIGGEST problem with this game is that he refuses to stop thinking of new stuff to add. Endless feature creep will ensure that he will literally never finish the game. The first thing a game dev who's been around the block knows to do is lock the design and stop adding to the game.

The SECOND BIGGEST problem with this game is that he is intending to solo it to completion. It's scope is already well beyond that of a single person, it's not clear that he could even do it with just a small team. I'm aware of the "mythical man-month" but he really needs other people to make this game with.

The THIRD BIGGEST problem with this game is that he's reading emails and making videos instead of working on the fucking game. Even the most backer-interactive Kickstarter projects like inXile (Wasteland 2, Torment 2) and Bloodstained limit their updates to once every month or a few months and release videos only rarely. Why is this? They're busy working on the goddamn game!

YandereDev is never going to finish Yandere Simulator unless he accepts the realities of making games.

The BIGGEST problem with this game is that he refuses to stop thinking of new stuff to add. Endless feature creep will ensure that he will literally never finish the game. The first thing a game dev who's been around the block knows to do is lock the design and stop adding to the game.

The SECOND BIGGEST problem with this game is that he is intending to solo it to completion. It's scope is already well beyond that of a single person, it's not clear that he could even do it with just a small team. I'm aware of the "mythical man-month" but he really needs other people to make this game with.

The THIRD BIGGEST problem with this game is that he's reading emails and making videos instead of working on the fucking game. Even the most backer-interactive Kickstarter projects like inXile (Wasteland 2, Torment 2) and Bloodstained limit their updates to once every month or a few months and release videos only rarely. Why is this? They're busy working on the goddamn game!

YandereDev is never going to finish Yandere Simulator unless he accepts the realities of making games.

He tries his hardest to be the kind of idealized developer that is super humble about his new found fame, discloses every little bit of progress he makes on a near weekly basis, and insists that he can only work on the game by himself because reasons. A kickstarter wasn't even on the table initially because he was super conscious about people possibility resenting him for resorting to crowdfunding.

Dude needs to start talking to actual game developers and not YouTube commenters.

Puruzi

Banned

this is a dumb thing to say

he's clearly working on the "fucking game" considering that there's new content in almost every video he puts out

Top Bottom