• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lebron James Breaks NBA All-Time Scoring Record

Celcius

°Temp. member
In the 3rd quarter of tonight's game, Lebron broke Kareem's record (38,387 regular season career total points) to become the NBA's all time scoring leader. It's a record that has stood since April 5, 1984 when Kareem passed Wilt Chamberlain and many people thought it would never be broken. It's was also cool that it was a home game for the Lakers and you could see several Lakers legends there like Kareem and Magic (plus of course his family and friends).

And the amazing thing is that with the way he's going, 40K career points shouldn't be a problem and who knows how long he can keep going.

Last edited:

Toons

Theres gonna be a lot of folks that will never give him his due respect but the numbers simply don't lie.

He may not be my favorite player but he'll always be at the top of the convo for the greatest.

Fart Knight

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Michael Jordan Basketball GIF by GIPHY CAM

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Best player ever.

And I don’t even like him as he’s a Twitter baby, complains to refs and plays for teams I don’t like as I’m a Raps and Celtics fan.

Guy is 38 and still playing like he’s 28. Assuming he doesn’t suddenly retire or gets a major injury, he could hit 45,000 pts if he does 4 more years at about 1,500 pts/season. He’ll break 40,000 next year.

Every other NBA hall of famer at 38 probably either retired already or was one of those athletes who lingers around forever and his stats drop like a rock.

Aside from his meh FT%, every other stat is solid. There’s been times he even filled in playing centre.

Last edited:
I don't follow basketball so forgive my ignorance but it seems strange that so many people were allowed onto the court when he scored. Is that normal? Maybe I'm just used to soccer where the entire stadium would end up on fire if they allowed that to happen. Is this not a risk in basketball?

For contrast, one of England's greatest goal scorers broke a club record recently in the video below.

Lasha

I don't follow basketball so forgive my ignorance but it seems strange that so many people were allowed onto the court when he scored. Is that normal? Maybe I'm just used to soccer where the entire stadium would end up on fire if they allowed that to happen. Is this not a risk in basketball?

For contrast, one of England's greatest goal scorers broke a club record recently in the video below.

Its mostly media and people involved with the team celebrating. Courtside seats for that game were probably like 10 grand with the lower bowl at least a few hundred apiece. Nobody with that kind of money is going to cop felony charges for burning down a stadium.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
It is incredible how he has been able to be so good for so long. Even Kareem had taken a back seat at this point in his career and Lebron is still the best player on his team.

MJ will always be the GOAT to me but I guess Lebron is number 2 at this point.

Pretty sure the Lakers had it planned to a T with security and whom would be allowed on the court. Don’t want some looney fan running up to him 😄

Congrats to him and he'll easily finish with 40k+ by the time his career is done. Still not the GOAT tho.
The thing with LeBron's record is that those 6 NBA Final losses are a huge sore. I'm not saying they're all his fault, but he'll have to win another 3-4 championships to be even in the GOAT discussion.
And here's Anthony Davis reaction.... Ever since he acted like a complete man baby in stomping his way out of New Orleans I've thought less of him.

I'm surprised he didn't break something as he attempted to sit down. "I should have known a long time ago, you know why LeBron? It's because of the fans. They called me Mr. Glass!"

killatopak

Amazing accomplishment.

I do think this isn't some unbreakable record though especially with the way offense is played and officiated as well as the state of defense right now. The issue with breaking the record will be if these new generation of players last as long as Lebron. It feels like players are getting more hurt and sitting out games more often which always confuses me considering the progress in sports medicine.

bender

What time is it?
Don't really care about the greatest of all time debate but he has to be the most durable athlete ever. Some of that is god given, some of it is luck, but you have to tip your hat to his singular focus and dedication to keeping his body right. Truly remarkable.

Catphish

People saying he's better than Jordan need to get a grip.

The NBA was a completely different animal in the 90s. Different rules, different philosophies.

If LeFlop played in Jordan's era, he'd probably be Top 10, but nowhere near Jordan's level.

He may have the scoring title, but he'll never truly wear the crown because no one respects a diving crybaby.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Heard Tony Kornheiser refer to this record as an odometer today, and it’s fitting. Nobody knew or cared about this record before. And they lost the game, lol.

That said, while LeBron had the benefit of turning 18 in that brief window when 18 year olds could join the NBA straight out of college, which obviously Karem did not have, he also took fantastic care of his body, has had amazing injury luck, and overall kept things clean and square his whole career and this is a testament to that.

People saying he's better than Jordan need to get a grip.

The NBA was a completely different animal in the 90s. Different rules, different philosophies.

If LeFlop played in Jordan's era, he'd probably be Top 10, but nowhere near Jordan's level.

He may have the scoring title, but he'll never truly wear the crown because no one respects a diving crybaby.

Whenever I have this GOAT debate I always use the following to make MJ fans reconsider:

MJ's teams were stacked - like probably the closest to modern day warriors (relatively speaking for the era). When MJ retired the first time, that same bulls team went to the Eastern Conference finals and lost in 7 games. So yeah with MJ they are basically a KD warriors, amazing team already but now you have a guy to put you over the top.

To me, MJ hasn't done anything greater than the 2007 Lebron run - he legit solod the CAVS to the finals and even scored 25 points straight in an ECF game to get them there. And most of the Lebron's teams, if he isn't playing they're in the lottery, not a respectable playoff team like the MJ teams were.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
To me, trophies and even raw pts don’t mean that much, since someone can be burned playing for a bad team, or simply be someone who rides the coattails of others.

Long time ago the Celtics won something like 10 championships in 11 or 12 years. There’s surely some benchwarmers who have as many trophies as MJ and Lebron. Likely even more.

Lebron is clearly a better player and athlete. The guy is 38 and still playing like he’s in his prime.

Jordan (too lazy to check his career stats) might had already retired by then. And if not and was still playing in the Wizards at 38 I know he’s effectiveness as a player dropped down the tubes. His stats dropped and nobody even talked about him when he played on the Wiz because there team go nowhere.

Early in MJ career he didn’t do much either. He started winning trophies when he got some good players. Check out Lebrons team when he took them to the finals early in his career. The best teammate he played with was Larry Hughes and Drew Gordon. I dont follow basketball to be an expert on everything but I dont even know who they are when I googled the roster.

Last edited:

Mesousa

Banned
To me, trophies and even raw pts don’t mean that much, since someone can be burned playing for a bad team, or simply be someone who rides the coattails of others.

Long time ago the Celtics won something like 10 championships in 11 or 12 years. There’s surely some benchwarmers who have as many trophies as MJ and Lebron. Likely even more.

Lebron is clearly a better player and athlete. The guy is 38 and still playing like he’s in his prime.

Jordan (too lazy to check his career stats) might had already retired by then. And if not and was still playing in the Wizards at 38 I know he’s effectiveness as a player dropped down the tubes. His stats dropped and nobody even talked about him when he played on the Wiz because there team go nowhere.

Early in MJ career he didn’t do much either. He started winning trophies when he got some good players. Check out Lebrons team when he took them to the finals early in his career. The best teammate he played with was John Hughes.
That cavs team he took to the finals were garbage. That was proof of his greatness.

Honestly Lebron was undisputed the GOAT when he beat the best NBA team ever in the finals. That team was unbeatable and he did it.

I used to watch golden state that season. They'd crush teams so badly curry wouldnt even play the second half a lot of times. The amount of 3's they'd get up would bury you before half time. Games were over before they started. The fact Lebron beat that was enough to crown him.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
That cavs team he took to the finals were garbage. That was proof of his greatness.

Honestly Lebron was undisputed the GOAT when he beat the best NBA team ever in the finals. That team was unbeatable and he did it.

I used to watch golden state that season. They'd crush teams so badly curry wouldnt even play the second half a lot of times. The amount of 3's they'd get up would bury you before half time. Games were over before they started. The fact Lebron beat that was enough to crown him.
Agreed.

MJ also had star player Pippen playing for the Bulls for like 10 years as his partner in crime. Looking at his stats, he hardly missed a game in Chicago too.

Imagine if James had a superstar teammate to play with for probably a decade who missed almost no games.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I'm a firm believer that Chicago would have gone 7-1 if Jordan stuck around during those seasons where Houston won the championship.

They got drubbed by the Magic in the ECF. Then the Magic got swept by the Rockets in the Finals.

Jordan doesn't win more than 2 without Pippens horrendous contract or the bizarre Dennis Rodman for Will Purdue trade. Jordan was a massive benefactor of huge luck.

Trogdor1123

He is truly a great player but let’s not kid ourselves, the league has made changes to “encourage “ more buckets than in previous years. Not a value statement as I think it’s the right call too for entertainment.

I’m not saying this to take away from him as he is freaking incredible, a generational talent, just want to to add some context.

are-you-serious-spiderman.gif

We can talk about hypotheticals all we want, but it's pretty much the consensus that Houston would have won in 1995 against the Bulls. Chicago didn't even have a good team that year and was lacking rebounding and several other crucial pieces.

bender

What time is it?
are-you-serious-spiderman.gif

We can talk about hypotheticals all we want, but it's pretty much the consensus that Houston would have won in 1995 against the Bulls. Chicago didn't even have a good team that year and was lacking rebounding and several other crucial pieces.

The consensus of idiots. 9-0

The consensus of idiots. 9-0
Now you're the one whose being idiotic dude lol. If you're a Michael Jordan fanboy that's fine, but have an honest discussion about how they would have lost the 1995 NBA Finals lol. Chicago Bulls Finals Record: 7-1.

zcaa0g

Banned
Great player, but it did help that he started playing in the NBA after kindergarten to get this record if you know what I mean. Plus the competition in the NBA was far greater in the 80s and 90s than in the 2000s and 2010s. You had several greatest of all time at their positions or Top 10 best NBA players ever in that era. That's not the case today. His Airness will always be #1 of course.

zcaa0g

Banned
LeBron also loses points for liking Beats headphones. If anyone ask what is wrong with Beats headphones; please kindly find the nearest bridge and jump off of it. It's nothing personal.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Agreed.

MJ also had star player Pippen playing for the Bulls for like 10 years as his partner in crime. Looking at his stats, he hardly missed a game in Chicago too.

Imagine if James had a superstar teammate to play with for probably a decade who missed almost no games.
Imagine if MJ didn’t have to go up against two of the greatest teams of all time in the Eastern Conference (Celtics/Bad Boy Pistons) in the early part of his career.

LeBron didn’t start winning championships until he DID pair up with a HOFer and a fringe HOFer.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Now you're the one whose being idiotic dude lol. If you're a Michael Jordan fanboy that's fine, but have an honest discussion about how they would have lost the 1995 NBA Finals lol. Chicago Bulls Finals Record: 7-1.

Just fighting fire with fire. Your nonsense deserves nonsense. 10-0

Mesousa

Banned
Great player, but it did help that he started playing in the NBA after kindergarten to get this record if you know what I mean. Plus the competition in the NBA was far greater in the 80s and 90s than in the 2000s and 2010s. You had several greatest of all time at their positions or Top 10 best NBA players ever in that era. That's not the case today. His Airness will always be #1 of course.
1980s champions:

1980-Lakers
1981-Celtics
1982-Lakers
1983-76ers
1984-Celtics
1985-Lakers(Jordan 1st season after being drafted in 84)
1986-Celtics
1987-Lakers
1988-Lakers
1989-Pistons

Was the competition really better in the 80's? Or did a bunch of weak teams get the crap beat out of them by 2 super teams?

Compare that to the 00's:

2000-Lakers
2001-Lakers
2002-Lakers
2003-Spurs
2004-Pistons(Lebron 1st season after being drafted in 03)
2005-Spurs
2006-Heat
2007-Spurs
2008-Celtics
2009-Lakers

Still 2 super teams, but a speck more variety. You can really chalk Jordan's 90s success after looking at the 80s as the super teams getting old than anybody being truly special in front of him. Was Jordan the best player in the late 80's while not winning? Certainly. Was lebron the best player in the late 00's while not winning? Also certainly.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Every team Lebron left SANK like a rock...

Every time Jordan left, the teams still did well.

Lebron CARRIED his teams

Plus, I'll ALWAYS have more respect for a man who honors and loves his wife like LeBron has. Something Jordan can't say

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Every team Lebron left SANK like a rock...

Every time Jordan left, the teams still did well.

Lebron CARRIED his teams

Plus, I'll ALWAYS have more respect for a man who honors and loves his wife like LeBron has. Something Jordan can't say

LeBron always ran to greener pastures when he'd exhausted the potential of a team and couldn't get them over the top without other, sometimes multiple, superstars. Jordan only retired* when he was bored of being the best basketball player on the planet.

*Didn't want to get suspended for gambling.

The real GOAT:

i

zcaa0g

Banned
1980s champions:

1980-Lakers
1981-Celtics
1982-Lakers
1983-76ers
1984-Celtics
1985-Lakers(Jordan 1st season after being drafted in 84)
1986-Celtics
1987-Lakers
1988-Lakers
1989-Pistons

Was the competition really better in the 80's? Or did a bunch of weak teams get the crap beat out of them by 2 super teams?

Compare that to the 00's:

2000-Lakers
2001-Lakers
2002-Lakers
2003-Spurs
2004-Pistons(Lebron 1st season after being drafted in 03)
2005-Spurs
2006-Heat
2007-Spurs
2008-Celtics
2009-Lakers

Still 2 super teams, but a speck more variety. You can really chalk Jordan's 90s success after looking at the 80s as the super teams getting old than anybody being truly special in front of him. Was Jordan the best player in the late 80's while not winning? Certainly. Was lebron the best player in the late 00's while not winning? Also certainly.

They weren't weak teams, it's just that Showtime, The Celts, and Bad Boys were just that good. Sure, those teams were definitely older in the early to mid 90s, but still really good. You used to be able to get away with murder in the NBA, now they are ticky tack on everything and allow Patrick Ewing style walks now more than ever.

Teams aside, there were also more all-time great players back then. You simply don't have that level of depth in today's game and across multiple positions. There were a lot more very good to great centers in that era as well. There isn't even a "The Round Mound" type of player in today's game. It was a different and lot more challenging era then.

I do remember reading a book about Jordan’s 2 years with the Wizards. The author had inside access to the team and Jordan was still ultra competitive at that point but had horrible arthritis and knee swelling. Coach Collins tried to limit his minutes but Jordan wouldn’t listen and it would cost him physically for the next game or 4th quarters. He just wasn’t taking care of his body like he used to and thought he could “Will” his way to victory like his Bulls days.
At the time I thought Jordan was dropping off but I guess he just wasn’t putting the work into his body and I think Lebron has learned from previous HOF’s mistakes in that regard.

Top Bottom