• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Left 4 Dead 3" is found on Steam (yet another leak?)

Vex

Banned
L4D3 will be on the Pc and X1 just like the first two, MS throwing money around and I believe they will lock this up as well this gen.

1-D_FTW

L4D3 will be on the Pc and X1 just like the first two, MS throwing money around and I believe they will lock this up as well this gen.

I doubt it. They didn't put it on PS3 because they didn't want to deal with the headache of the architecture. Once Sony dangled the carrot of allowing them to run Steamworks with Portal 2, they bit the bullet on PS3. With PS4's ease of development, there's zero chance Valve goes MS over Sony if Sony allows Steamworks again.

EDIT: Unless Valve just said fuck it and traded console exclusivity for the Halo ports running Steamworks on PC.

1-D_FTW

As a console exclusive they did, which was the point I was driving at, this was a high selling title on the 360, see no reason that won't continue with the X1.

No reason it won't continue, but also no reason to keep it off PS4. It's a super easy port and it drives mindshare to Steam. Which is more important than any money MS can throw their way.

As a console exclusive they did, which was the point I was driving at, this was a high selling title on the 360, see no reason that won't continue with the X1.

So you are saying you are aware it wasn't MS moneyhatting them, but after how well it sold MS WILL moneyhat them this time? Did I get that right?

Randdalf

If anything, Sony has locked this up because of Microsoft's ridiculous policies on patches and additional content.

Lingitiz

I want to see L4D just go batshit insane with mission types. The Helm's Deep Mod for 2 is one of my favorite MP experiences this gen.

LycanXIII

All I hope is that they add in reporting options similar to what they have with Dota where you can report people for being assholes, fix the kick player tool from being the 'kick this guy because he isn't as good as the rest of us' tool, and add in a solo queue.

It was always the "kick this guy because I don't know him" when I played alone. :/

can't wait for Left 4 Dead

they're like obligated to somehow reboot it at that point
Left 4 Dead 4ever

Volotaire

Love some L4D, and would make financial sense to develop a sequel, but I feel like where could they go. The community are doing a great job at new experiences. I'd like to see what comes of fruition.

Hope for some crazy action if true.

The lack of free patches on L4D1 is why L4D2 had to happen with built-in mutations.

Valve is no friend of Microsoft these days.

anybody find it odd how Valve has positioned all it's franchises for a 3rd installment

Half Life 3
Portal 3
Team Fortress 3
Left for Dead 3

Fisherman166

Neo Member
Hopefully they go back to the style of the first game. In Left 4 Dead 2, there were just way too many options for weapons and way too many special infected. The spread for the weapons and the special infected weren't that great either. I usually encountered more new weapons/special infected than the original ones from the first game, which didn't really sit well with me.

wizzbang

Banned
Yeah, I think everyone thought there would be a yearly sequel. Boy we were wrong. They integrated l4d1 in the second game, added campaigns... I feel bad for going the boycott way with it... sometimes one can be wrong.

If it does come out, I can see it being quite good.

I don't feel bad about the boycott at all, the seggregated a community in one swift swoop with L4D2 and diluted the franchise.

We got stuck with shittier characters to boot.
L4D1 was the best single player multiplayer game I've ever played but once people headed over to 2, well... what was the point?

MormaPope

Banned
Free to play or not free to play, that is the question.

Also, there won't be a Portal 3. Would be sorta useless when you can use the portal gun in Half Life 3.

Tnetennba

Wouldn't mind L4D3 at all if this turns out to be true. It does seem unnecessary but they could totally prove me wrong and throw in a whole bunch of additions and changes I can't think of that make it a totally legitimate and worthwhile sequel. The integration of everything into L4D2 does make it a nice neat package rather than the flimsy add-on it felt at first so that gives me hope they've learned but hell, benefit of the doubt and all that. I certainly wouldn't say no.

Fuck NO. If it is F2P, that would be awful and kill my hype instantly.

But just think of how wonderful the community could be! *cough*

Branduil

Hopefully they go back to the style of the first game. In Left 4 Dead 2, there were just way too many options for weapons and way too many special infected. The spread for the weapons and the special infected weren't that great either. I usually encountered more new weapons/special infected than the original ones from the first game, which didn't really sit well with me.

People need to understand that the new special infected were necessary to fix the camping problem.

They just need to rebalance some of the special infected in a hypothetical sequel. The jockey needs a power-up because he's just way too weak unless you have really good teamwork.

Tnetennba

Only bad thing about the TF2 community is anyone that jumps into the game now gets mowed down instantly. More people the better.

Don't get me wrong, I think after a bit of a bumpy start the TF2 community's totally fine now and that F2P totally worked wonders there. I was more thinking the clashing of the people who still play L4D frequently, who don't seem the most accommodating bunch to anyone who doesn't know how to play, and a whole load of people trying the series out for a bit of fun with no intention of taking it that seriously. Again, I think it would balance out but there would surely be teething problems.

kick51

Banned
oh, the tears.

We will get HL3, once Valve's on-staff psych finds a way to make it maximally addictive, microtransaction heaven with infinite longevity with qualities that induce dissociation from reality and society.

Randdalf

I thought L4D2 was a better game than L4D. It solves the big problem with the original, corner camping, and adds a ton more variation to both gameplay and campaign design. I can understand why people prefer L4D, it definitely feels different, but the sequel improves upon the original in nearly every conceivable way. I just hope they go in a different direction with this one, rather than retreading old ground.

Top Bottom