• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legend of Dragoon's battle system, aka appreciate the best RPG battle system ever

Fou-Lu

My brother recently bought LoD from a pawn shop while we were on holidays, I haven't played the game in several years but I love the battle system just as much as I did back then.

There's just something about being turn based while still getting you involved that I love. (See also: Mario RPGs)

More than anything I would love to see the return of this battle system. Are there any other games that are similar out there?

Fuck i thought there was some LOD news. Anyway, awesome game. Still have it in good shape... im hesitating to sell it, it goes off at like 60 bucks here in Europe

Riki

tumblr_m01g0dbuB71qbvsl4o1_500.gif

Outside of some bad voice work, this was one of the best PS1 RPGs ever to be released.

Battle system is ok, if not a little clunky. But it has some if the best towns and pre rendered backgrounds in a JRPG. Exploring them is a lot of fun. I remember hating the game when it came out, but playing it on vita now I am loving it.

Calcium

Banned
LoD was great. For some reason Lavitz screaming "Harpoon!" pops into my head from time to time. It's pretty annoying.

YES. One of my favourite battle systems ever, just so engaging in a way that jrpg battle systems almost never are. The game was misunderstood in its own time, getting mediocre reviews, but has rightly acquired a cult following since then.

Didn't love the battle system but I would say it's probably underappreciated. Pretty fun. I still like the Mario RPG battle systems better in general.

Ishmae1

Fun game, although I'd say Panzer Dragoon Saga has a better combat system for keeping the players engaged in every fight.

This game also has some of the weirdest spell cast effects I can remember. Uh... where are all of Rose's dragoon attacks coming from, exactly?

Phades

The system when observed in shadow hearts, it just felt better.

As far as game systems overall, I think Legend of Legalia had a more interesting combat system in place.

I struggle with listening to people's opinions on battle systems.

They're [battle systems] so divisive and subjective.

In addition to that, while games outside of JRPG's seem to have defined an accepted language, Battle Systems (even between Final Fantasy iterations) seem to have meandered since the 90's.

And even when there is a good one, no one recognises it, or tries to recreate it. I guess I should be happy it's not homogeneous, but it's simultaneously annoying for an experiment in gameplay to undermine a good story and to judge whether you'll like a game before you play it,

JRPGs :(

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Fuck the haters, LoD is generic as all hell but somehow still one of the most charming Japanese RPGs of all time.

It's everything anime and 90s JRPG encapsulated into one nice package.

Played it back in like 2007, still held up just fine.

Legend of Dragoon also has the best menu screen music of any game ever.
I'd post but I'm on mobile atm.

You sir/mam, you deserve accolades for this post.

Top Bottom