• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legend Of Galactic Heroes: is it overrated?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jindrax

Ok. So apparently this anime is stuff of legends.
I've read that:" if deathnote is chess, legend of galactic heroes is 3d chess on steroids."
But is it really? I watched a couple of eps and it doesn't seem to be doing anything that special.

What does GAF think?

Reuenthal

Banned
It's my favorite anime. While I enjoyed it from the start It's beginning isn't as good as it becomes eventually. Watch more.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
It's like the magic of Star Wars executed on a epic-fucking scale of 110-episodes and several OVA mini-series which extend the backstory of the saga.

I'd argue no on the basis of this premise.

LoGTH doesn't start to become GOAT tier until after episode 26, it finally gets away from the "evil general of the week" formula.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Comparing Death Note to Legend of the Galactic Heroes lol.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Your quote in particular may be a touch overstated. Hyperbole, that's the term.

But in general, no. It's rarely rated, but when rated, fairly so.

tuffy

It may not look like much, but it's good at telling a grand epic storyline featuring a lot of characters over a long period of time. Its chief weakness is that because it is so plot-heavy, you've got to pay attention to spot the little character moments sprinkled over its long runtime.

VARIA

It takes 26 episodes to get going?

Sounds like bad pacing or something that could've been edited down to be more effective.

No.

It's a slow burner and it takes some time to get rolling but really I think it's the best anime I've ever watched.

The show has fantastic characters and the intrigues and philosophical pondering are really interesting.

Haly

It takes 26 episodes to get going?
Anime was different back then.

Might as well complain that Maison Ikkoku had a slow start.

Or Urusei Yatsura.

What does GAF think?

girlfriend.jpg

EXMaster

LOGH is anything but overrated, but the one caveat to enjoying it is that need to be patient and give it time to bake. If you do, you won't really realize when it happens because it will sneak up on you, but you will be totally into it, trying to squeeze in an extra episode or two extra during viewing sessions.

oh and Reuenthal was the best character on the show, glad you all agree.

He was a total G

Serrato

Best Anime of All time. It's only a bit slow and a planet-load (ah!) of characters. Not necessarily a bad thing!

I find it hard to recommend LoGH to anime fans and easy to recommend it to non-anime fans. If you watch alot of anime you'll notice it just lacks so many of the typical tropes (good and bad) of most anime both modern and old-school. In many respects it's more like a live action show with a heavy emphasis on talking and a subdued delivery, as opposed to the more bombastic and overtly emotional presentation of most anime like, say, Death Note. I think this largely stems from LoGH being an adaptation of what people might classically classify as literature, a novel that purposefully tackles heavy themes and drama, and naturally necessitates alot of scenes where people just stand around talking.

No, maybe a bit slow to get started but when it clicks it's fucking amazing. KInda like the first two-ish episodes of The Wire.

I tried to watch this a few years ago.

Couldn't make it more than a dozen or so episodes in. Didn't help that Yang Wen-li was the only character that seemed to be worth anything.

While it may be that it gets better, I have an aversion to the "you have to endure 10 hours of boring before you can judge!" train of thought.

tokkun

Ok. So apparently this anime is stuff of legends.
I've read that:" if deathnote is chess, legend of galactic heroes is 3d chess on steroids."
But is it really? I watched a couple of eps and it doesn't seem to be doing anything that special.

What does GAF think?

The only way that comparison to Death Note even vaguely makes sense is that LOGH has a complex plot and likes to focus on strategy and mind games.

However, the two series are tonally much different, and LOGH is definitely not "on steroids." Quite the opposite. The show is extremely restrained, understated, and deliberately paced from beginning to end. Whereas Death Note can present a guy standing around and thinking in a super tense and dramatic fashion, LOGH will take major events like huge space battles or key characters dying and present them with very little glamor or ornament. It rewards patience and long attention spans. You are going to spend a lot of time hearing about the importance of trade routes, political elections, lines of succession, democratic vs autocratic systems, and the like. If that does not interest you, you may as well bail out early.

I tried to watch this a few years ago.

Couldn't make it more than a dozen or so episodes in. Didn't help that Yang Wen-li was the only character that seemed to be worth anything.

While it may be that it gets better, I have an aversion to the "you have to endure 10 hours of boring before you can judge!" train of thought.

It doesn't take that long for the series to get going. I mean, they start the operation to capture Iserlohn in episode 6. And the episodes are only 24 minutes long.

Haly

Legend of the Galactic Heroes is the Game of Thrones of anime.

It doesn't take that long for the series to get going. I mean, they start the operation to capture Iserlohn in episode 6. And the episodes are only 24 minutes long.
I vaguely remember political intrigue. I also remember it not being very interesting.

I'm sure it was cutting edge and totally awesome at the time it was made, though!

The other problem I had is that I've forgotten most of it, so if I did start watching again I'd have to start over, and that's not gonna happen. But maybe I could jump in from (magical point where things are awesome)?

Starts off well, and then slowly kill itself off one poorly-thought out character death at a time?

Didn't seem that way to me

Abounder

Banned
I watched a couple of hours; it didn't do much for me but I didn't hate it either. Is it overrated? If IDMB is of any indication it barely has any ratings (fewer than 600 votes) but sits at 8.9/10

I will revisit it one day

It has boobs, decapitations, and dragons? :p

Clov

It's definitely not overrated. I watched it over the summer; it's definitely a slower work, but it's filled with great characters and political intrigue. I loved how it shows the flaws of each society and their governments; really interesting stuff.

And yes, Reuenthal is great. Probably my favorite Norio Wakamoto role.

I vaguely remember political intrigue. I also remember it not being very interesting.

I'm sure it was cutting edge and totally awesome at the time it was made, though!

The other problem I had is that I've forgotten most of it, so if I did start watching again I'd have to start over, and that's not gonna happen. But maybe I could jump in from (magical point where things are awesome)?

Starts off well, and then slowly kill itself off one poorly-thought out character death at a time?

Didn't seem that way to me

There is no point in the series other than the beginning that you can just magically jump into and start right away, since the early episodes does a lot of crucial character and setting building that sets the stage for the rest of the series.

It's being remade soon. Dunno how I feel about that

The way I see it the original will always exist, and it will always be good. Best case scenario a straight novel adapation with good animation, but the primary consumer of anime has changed. I'm expecting them to probably truncate the plot, gender-bend some characters (like the manga), or add in a bunch of bridge bunnies in Yamato-style suits to sell some figures.

blackw0lf

If you didn't watch the two prequel movies first I'd recommend doing so, as they flesh out the characters and backstory more and get you more invested.

jett

D-Member
LOGH is true space opera. There's really nothing else that comes as close to that definition.

It's also amazing. Fuck no, it's not overrated.

I have very low expectations for the new series, considering the state of anime these days.

Moaradin

I recommend watching My Conquest Is The Sea Of Stars first if you wanna get a taste of the series. It isn't a requirement, but it takes place before the main series and it's a good introduction.

Watch Overture to a New War instead of the first two episodes of the main series. It's a lot better!

Riposte

LoGH is nothing at all like Death Note. It doesn't try to be a thriller. Whoever made that comparison was just trying to make the anime they like look smart so they could look smart.

I recommend watching My Conquest Is The Sea Of Stars first if you wanna get a taste of the series. It isn't a requirement, but it takes place before the main series and it's a good introduction.

Watch Overture to a New War instead of the first two episodes of the main series. It's a lot better!

Doing this may make it rather difficult to adapt to the anime at first. If only the whole series looked like those movies.

EDIT: LoGH's main flaw is the rushed final season, even though it's still carried by all the setup alone.

EDIT: There's a youtube playlist that organizes the series in a perfect fashion. Just saying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom