• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD |OT| Tingling with HD excitement...only 398 Rupees

twwhd_ot_bannerclsus.png

Platform: Wii U
Genre: Action-Adventure
Player(s): 1
Developer: Nintendo EAD Group No.3
Publisher: Nintendo

Pro Controller supported? Yes
Off-TV Play supported? Yes

US:
September 20, 2013 (Digital)
October 4, 2013 (Retail)

Japan:
September 26, 2013

EU:
October 4, 2013

Standard Edition ( $ 49,99 | ¥ 5,985 | € 59,95 )

Limited Edition [incl. Ganondorf figurine] ( $ 59,99 | € 69,95 )

The Wind Waker HD Wii U Deluxe Bundle ( $ 299 | € 299 )

twwhd_ot_features0fpmj.png
link_boat_the_wind_waviot0.png

Credits to Tathanen.

- Widescreen 1080p with complete re-rendered/drawn textures, a brand new lighting engine, and a variety of new graphical effects
- Redone music, emphasis on still sounding like "Wind Waker" while improving samples and incorporating new elements
- Select "hero mode" at any time on file select to double enemy damage and remove recovery hearts
- Five of the eight Triforce pieces are now found in the chests that used to contain maps to their sunken locations, eliminating the need to acquire 1990 rupees to decipher the charts
- The Wind Waker can be conducted via the GamePad touchscreen, and the second playthrough of a song you conduct has been removed, speeding up the process of conducting any song
- After playing the Wind's Requiem in your boat, the camera pans behind Link, and points in the direction you want the wind to go, instead of panning above him with an arrow
- You can acquire the "Swift Sail" relatively early on in the game, which doubles the speed the King of Red Lions sails when you press the A button (this only works because the entire ocean is now loaded in RAM at once, so there is no need to sail slow while loading new areas)
- Improved draw distance on the Great Sea
- The Wind Waker, boat cannon, and boat grapple for pulling up treasure are all mapped to directions on the d-pad, so they no longer require equipping and the taking up of button-inventory space. You also no longer need to equip the sail, it is mapped to the A button when you are in the boat.
- When aiming the cannon in the boat, you now have an aiming reticule
- The clouds over the great sea have been completely redesigned in a more lush and realistic style, while remaining fully weather-dynamic
- You can walk while in first-person, and walk while aiming items like the bow and arrow
- You can aim your first-person items using the GamePad gyroscope, like in OOT3D (useful for fine tweaking once you use the stick to put the cursor in the general place you want it)
- The pictobox now holds up to 12 photos, increased from 3
- The pictobox displays a "Great!" emblem when you successfully take a picture of a character to have a figure made, so you know if your photo was good enough without having to take it to the guy first
- You can use the pictobox to take "selfies," where Link holds the camera towards himself to take a photo of himself and what's behind him
- The touchscreen inventory on the GamePad allows for easier assigning of items to buttons
- You can find bottles on the beach that contain messages from other Wind Waker players via Miiverse, and put your own messages in the sea the same way
- When sailing, you can have the map on the GamePad screen, making it much easier to position your boat when looking for treasure. The treasure map you have will display smaller next to your main map, so you can place your boat in the correct place. You used to have to keep pulling the map up over and over, often overshooting your point.
- When you start the game, your wallet's maximum capacity is 500 rupees, rather than 200
- Grappling hook animation cut down to less than half of its previous duration, both on land and when dredging up treasure in your boat
- Sped up text boxes, and removed repetitive explanation for how to equip new items
- Option to play the entire game off-TV on the GamePad
- I bet I'm forgetting some stuff I'll be annoyed about later

tetra_hdw7rcx.png
twwhd_ot_screensvgphi.png

ganon_the_wind_waker_ferwa.png
twwhd_ot_videosyioda.png

E3 Trailer
Hero Mode Trailer
Trailer 1
Trailer 2
SD vs. HD Comparison

GameXplain [thanks to Tom Nook Sawyer]:
HD vs. GCN Comparison
Music Head-To-Head Comparison
Swift Sail Head-To-Head Comparison
Animation Head-To-Head Comparison
Gamepad vs Pro Controller Head-To-Head Comparison

twwhd_ot_reviewszjrds.png
aryll_hd84q1h.png

Review Thread by BY2K

THANK YOU !!!
tingle0dudd.png

Luigi87

Have fun eShoppers... I just... I need the physical release of this.

Gonna be a long few weeks.

Also that Tingle is terrifying.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Three weeks until the retail disc is released here but at least I have KH1.5 to keep me busy.

dmr87

Thanks for the OT, this is going to look absolutely amazing. So ridiculous that the early digital version is NA only, I mean why?

Nintendo gonna Nintendo.

Tohsaka

Have fun eShoppers... I just... I need the physical release of this.

Gonna be a long few weeks.

Also that Tingle is terrifying.

Same, I hate this new "eShop first" kick Nintendo has been on lately. I bought the bullet and got New Super Luigi U on there because I didn't want to wait three months, but I won't with WW HD. Waiting two weeks sucks, but it's more bearable at least.

RagnarokX

Same, I hate this new "eShop first" kick Nintendo has been on lately. I bought the bullet and got New Super Luigi U on there because I didn't want to wait three months, but I won't with WW HD. Waiting two weeks sucks, but it's more bearable at least.

At least it gives the digital versions some value.

If Ninty wants me to buy from the eshop they need to let me have a proper account, access to the game 2 weeks early isn't tempting with their current policies.

zroid

Banned
If Ninty wants me to buy from the eshop they need to let me have a proper account, access to the game 2 weeks early isn't tempting with their current policies.

If they want me to buy from the eshop they need to mail me a box, manual, and Ganondorf figurine afterwards :(

Anteo

Not sure if to buy a digital version next week, or get the physical one 2 weeks + 1month later (my country sucks)}

Edit: Also, this will be my first time with The Wind Waker. Excited to say the least. I got a brand new 3d Zelda to play just before ALBW!!!

Bradach

Nice OP. I'll be pre ordering this bad boy the day i collect gta5. It looks so good. i missed the gamecube version so I'm new to this game

dmr87

Do we know for sure if Cosmo will do a run?

Yes, he's going to do a 100% run as soon as it comes out. My problem is that I want to watch him play but at the same time I don't want to spoil myself on the new awesome.

Top Bottom