• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lego City Undercover Switch cover mentions 13GB download [Up3: Full game on card]

Seik

Banned
Well, that's a relief.

Sooo was that a fake cover that we saw at first or was it all just one big unfortunate misunderstanding? :lol

They were pretty freaking direct this time, you still don't believe them?
This is GAF. No matter how straight forward the answer, certain people will just ignore what's said and do their best to make sure the negativity sticks to fit whatever narrative they wish to push.

This is back to a definite buy for me! After a price drop, of course. Multiplayer isn't that enticing of an addition considering the mission structure was never meant for more than one player.

This is GAF. No matter how straight forward the answer, certain people will just ignore what's said and do their best to make sure the negativity sticks to fit whatever narrative they wish to push.

This is back to a definite buy for me! After a price drop, of course. Multiplayer isn't that enticing of an addition considering the mission structure was never meant for more than one player.
I think being skeptical is still understandable given how significantly smaller it is compared to the PS4, Xbox One and Wii U versions. It just doesn't add up.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
LOL, maybe we should think about waiting for more info as opposed to freaking out like this in the future >.>

Maybe

I don't even know what that would look like.

LJWh2ue.jpg

So they just accidentally printed 'internet required' on the box? In terms of printing errors that's got to be a pretty weird one

A lot of overreactions in here. Doesn't take much to get you all riled up huh?

Enjoy that crow.
Come on, all signs pointed towards it being true. 7 gigs on the cart plus 13 gig patch added up to the size of all there other versions. It also said blatantly that internet was required when the Wii U version didn't and as far as we know neither do the PS4 or Xbox One versions. The evidence pointed toward it to be true. It was a reasonable conclusion.

Matt

So they just accidentally printed 'internet required' on the box? In terms of printing errors that's got to be a pretty weird one
Theoretically, the most likely answer might be it was something that was considered and rejected, but the Final decision did not get communicated to the cover art people.

El Sabroso

now it all makes sense, out of the box experience for retail is a win, no mandatory installs where is not needed, now I can recommend this game

RPGam3r

I'm not.

The game has to be playable from beginning to end without a download.

Otherwise the card is still useless.

Where does it say its not playable? Are we saying card games can have patches? Seems extreme and unnecessary.

By "most" I meant that I'm ok with patches and DLC, not that I'm ok with 80% of the original game being there.

Where does it say its not playable? Are we saying card games can have patches? Seems extreme and unnecessary.

By "most" I meant that I'm ok with patches and DLC, not that I'm ok with 80% of the original game being there.

It's that stupid cover art. It says online required and also its confusing how a game is playable with just 7gb when it has a 13gb download.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Did you umm read the OP?

I was here back when there was only 1 page of this thread, im just confused how it went from having to download more than half the game, to "you have the game but to get the rest of it you'll have to download" to "the full game was on the card all along."

Fredrik

Well, there is is. What a circus. Not the best PR work but at least there were talk about the game.
Time to preorder?

I was here back when there was only 1 page of this thread, im just confused how it went from having to download more than half the game, to "you have the game but to get the rest of it you'll have to download" to "the full game was on the card all along."

Basically now we're at the whole game is on cart, but there's likely a content update patch day 1 anyways.

NateDrake

Misinformation and lack of clarification. We went from the notice on the box, to a vague statement from WB, and then a full statement that clarified the game can be played without the need for an internet connection.

One now has to wonder how much damage has been done at this point and how many folks won't see the new statement.

They directly answered this concern. Are we just pretending they didn't answer so we can be more concerned and keep this going?

He asked where does it say it so I answered. Where did they explain how they made is so the game is playable with 7gb yet there is a 13gb update? I know they said the case is an error but they didn't specify how they dealt with the size did they? (I just woke up).

I believe the whole game is playable from the cart, I'm just curious about the size now. Is the small content update they are talking about 13gb and if so what is it? Or was that an error too?

GAF just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about LEGO culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is with Mega Bloks where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over with LEGO, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the LEGO-buying public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to visit GAF for any reason, nor will they purchase any of WB's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but GAF has alienated an entire market with this move.

GAF, publicly apologize and purchase LEGO City Undercover for Switch or you can kiss your forum goodbye.

Glass Joe

But wait, aren't other versions (even the Wii U one) like 20 gig? Makes me wonder if anything such as cutscenes or dialogue have been chopped out of the cart? Lol maybe that's what the download was referring to, I dunno.

But wait, aren't other versions (even the Wii U one) like 20 gig? Makes me wonder if anything such as cutscenes or dialogue have been chopped out of the cart? Lol maybe that's what the download was referring to, I dunno.

This is what I want to know. How is the Switch version so much smaller than every other version out there including the Wii U version?

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

Different compression techniques, optimization and stuffs. The Xbox version is smaller size yet have more content than Wii U version.

TI82

Banned
It's tough . I can get this for PC where it will be great or get it on switch where it's mobile.

Tough choices !!!

Fredrik

It's tough . I can get this for PC where it will be great or get it on switch where it's mobile.

Tough choices !!!
Not really tough at all for me, after playing Zelda when sitting in the kids room waiting for them to fall asleep I'll honestly go for portability over graphics whenever possible in the future. WiiU nearly worked for me but it sometimes lost the connection when going upstairs. Remote Play nearly worked too but introduced latency and had weird button placements. Switch is perfection, Zelda even runs better undocked, and I haven't even taken it outside yet.

LordKano

Wew, so much for this. Glad to know it was just a misprint. Lot of people will have to eat crows !

Now I might buy this.

Has anybody confirmed there isn't a 13GB update or if the game is playable without an update?

The update in the OP confirms it.

evanmisha

That's one hell of a misprint. I'm interested in picking it up if there is indeed the whole game on the cart. I'll wait until early impressions pop up

Glad to know it was just a misprint. Lot of people will have to eat crows !

Who should eat crow? WB's marketing department? People were just responding to what they saw, and rightfully so

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I don't think we overreacted

The packaging as it was shown suggested a very large download required. Larger than the game was listed on the eshop. Combined with previous talk over cart pricing and the 'switch premium' led logically to suggestions of WB doing a Halo and reducing cost by shipping only half the game. WB didn't help due to ambiguous comments

If this had been true it could have been a massive issue for those that primarily play using physical games or that have limited internet availability.

Top Bottom