• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lesser Known Alcohol that rivals its more expensive/more famous counterpart

Status
Not open for further replies.

HiResDes

Wthermans said:
If you want a cheaper version of Capt. (SJ is tons better on quality but usually a buck or two more than Capt), just look to Admiral Nelson or Burnett's (yes I am endorsing a Burnett's product). Both of those are crap when it comes to rum, but they taste just alike (watered down vanilla with a hint of caramel) and I think that speaks towards Capt's quality more than anything. :lol

SJ is my favorite for spiced rum, but if I'm going to have distilled sugar water, I'm drinking Angostura 1919. Best rum I've ever had. Only $30 for a fifth and it is by FAR the smoothest rum I've ever drank. Their 3 year isn't up to par, but the 1919 is awesome. Mount Gay Sugar Cane is a good daily drinker for a non-spiced gold rum.

All I know is stay away from this:

LADY%20BLIGH%20BOTTLE.jpg

...Had a really bad experience with the whore.

SRG01

Stumpokapow said:
Many countries actually do. I just got back from the Dominican and they seem to drink beer exclusively at room temperature. Very odd.

Sake is served warm, but apparently it's to mask the taste of the taste of the wooden fermentation caskets or something. I heard that really good sake (ie. not in wooden caskets) is served cold.

I tend to taste more subtle hints in food if it's warm rather than cold.

readleeb

Neo Member
EschatonDX said:
also:

sailor-jerry-rum.jpg

More competitively priced, higher ABV, and better taste(IMO) than this hype train:

Captain-Morgan-Spiced-Rum_4E837000.jpg

Came to post. I've seen Sailor Jerry's sold at a higher price than Captain at a couple places, but it deserves to be. I'd be very sad if this became the norm though. My liver may not be as sad.

Captain Morgan was pretty much what we drank when we wanted some rum but earlier this summer we found some rum called "Lieutenant Dan" and not only is it only 18$ for a handle it tastes better than ol' Captain.

ltdan.jpg

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Sklorenz said:
Taste is slightly different than Jerry's but not much IMO. I like the two equally, and it costs a few dollars less in my area.

While I really like both, I'd say there's a pretty significant difference in taste between the two. Kraken has also been more expensive by 3-4 dollars a bottle everywhere I've seen it, absent sales.

Sailor Jerry has been my go-to for cheapish rum for a couple of years now. Love the stuff. But I had an affair with a bottle of Kraken once and the results were good. Well, pretty bad depending on how you look at it.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Fireye said:
Cruzan Rum - Blackstrap Molasses rum
Gave this a shot, as the GF is a big fan of dark rums. I was blown away by the flavors in this. If you can find it, give it a shot, it was only $11 locally for a 750ml and boy is it tasty.
http://www.badgerwest.com/images/CruzanBlackStrapRumLTR.jpg

I drank the Cruzan light rum back in my rum drinking days. That was some good stuff and it packed a hell of a kick. I actually started out with dark Bacardi. Then they changed the recipe or something. Actually I think they bumped up the kind I used to drink to a higher price point and changed the name. I then went to Cruzan.

I am strictly Vodka now. I don't know what happened. I guess I got old or something.

*edit - I remember what happened to me and Bacardi. I used to drink Bacardi Select. The Bacardi Select recipe I drank got bumped up to a higher-priced flavor with a new name and they put some other crap in the Select bottles. I was so mad. I will never forget that. It was like New Coke all over again.

joelseph said:
Is Hendrick's gin considered expensive? Think it is much better than Gordan's.

I love Hendrick's, makes some of the best Martinis around. It is ~$30/bottle here though, slightly more than Bombay or Tanqueray, but worth every penny!

Sailor Jerry's and Dr. Pepper over ice all day.

Ultracold Sobieski and tonic all day.

Case of 24 Yuenglings.

Best weekend possible. Less than $50. Will get 2 to 4 people destroyed deliciously.

Esch

Banned
joelseph said:
Is Hendrick's gin considered expensive? Think it is much better than Gordan's.

Somewhat, typically it's like a few bucks more than bombay sapphire. Awesome bottle.

Teddman

Wthermans said:
SJ is my favorite for spiced rum, but if I'm going to have distilled sugar water, I'm drinking Angostura 1919. Best rum I've ever had. Only $30 for a fifth and it is by FAR the smoothest rum I've ever drank. Their 3 year isn't up to par, but the 1919 is awesome. Mount Gay Sugar Cane is a good daily drinker for a non-spiced gold rum.
Jerry is my go-to rum as well, but if you want top shelf quality at a good price, try Rhum Barbancourt 5-star. Goes for $20-$30 a fifth at liquor stores. You can't beat Haiti for the best rum around (seriously, Haiti is the best Caribbean rum-producer, imo).

HiResDes

ImperialConquest said:
DurrrrRRrrRRrrrr...
Grey Goose used to be one of those lower end, bottom priced vodkas, but after a marketing change they were able to sell boatloads of the same vodka for double the price :lol

Esch

Banned
I have to say, I personally do not not think high end vodka is worth shelling out for. What's the attraction. Something that tastes less like rubbing alcohol and more like nothing? :lol
I do not deny the power hour or mixing potential of this particular spirit though.

Raistlin

Ahhh ... nice thread. Props on the Ryan's call, I live on their Irish and Cappuccino Cremes. Fantastic product. Anyway, I'll contribute by starting with some Vodkas.

For a lower-end Vodka, I recommend Rain Vodka:

I believe their logo has since changed, but the bottle design is otherwise the same. This Kentucky spirit is hand-made from white corn, and is quite smooth for the price. You can get it in the $13-17 range typically. Not bad considering they've won a ton of awards and competitions, and distill 6 or 7 times.

They also have an organic line out now that's getting a fair amount of press. The line offers a number of interesting flavors; Lavender Lemonade, Honey Mango Melon, Original Vodka, Red Grape Hibiscus, and Cucumber Lime. Obviously these are quite a refreshing change from the kool-aid-esque flavors most distilleries offer. Based on the website, I'm actually wondering if they only do organic now?

If you are willing to go up a bit higher though, and by a bit I mean literally a few dollars if at all, I'd argue you'll find nothing better than Tito's Vodka:

Hand-made in Texas's first legal distillery, I'd put this Austin-based Vodka against anything out there. As a matter of fact, some pro reviews have rated it as the best commercially available Vodka.

The spirit is micro-distilled (6x) in an old style pot still similar to fine single-malt liquors and cognacs. To be honest, there's really very little to say about it. I've had my fair share of high-end Vodkas, and I'd put this against them any day. As a matter of fact I think it bests them.

A word of caution though, it is sufficiently smooth that you better take care when mixing. If you aren't using a shot glass and simply going by taste, you will end up fucking yourself up pretty quickly. I speak from experience :lol

Raistlin

Tenks said:
MD 20 20. This hazelnut wine with a peach aftertaste that lingers on your tongue moments following the initial drink rivals the fine wines produced in even the most opulent wineries of France and Italy. Often looked down upon due to it's tendency to be drank by the homeless and sold at grocery stores and gas stations MD 20 20 offers a full bodied experience at a skeletal price.

maddog.jpg

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

no ... seriously ...

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

It ain't even wine, it's a fortified wine (plus a ton of other shit).

I know you're kidding

Stumpokapow said:
cheap vodka
+ britta filter
=

mid-level vodka

how does no one know this?

note that it'll never give you the subtlety of a really good vodka, but it saves an enormous amount of money and it makes terrible cheap vodkas into tasteless mid-level vodkas suitable for mix and many other purposes.

This is true however.

Another fun thing to do after several britta runs is to try soaking some fruit or veggies in it. There are recipes online. You can get some very nice flavored vodkas in this manner.

Ryck

Kentpaul said:
Weak a shit and is for 12 year olds
I think you are confusing MD with Boone's, cause MD will knock you on your ass. It's the wine of choice for wino's. Although I am sure Night Train and Thunderbird also get honorable mentions.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
HiResDes said:
Grey Goose used to be one of those lower end, bottom priced vodkas, but after a marketing change they were able to sell boatloads of the same vodka for double the price :lol

Cute story, but a flat-out lie. It was started up as a premium vodka. The goal of the company was always to get people to pay a lot of money for a high-end vodka.

Boonoo

Raistlin said:
If you are willing to go up a bit higher though, and by a bit I mean literally a few dollars if at all, I'd argue you'll find nothing better than Tito's Vodka:
[url]http://www.drinkhacker.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/titos.jpg[/url]
Hand-made in Texas's first legal distillery, I'd put this Austin-based Vodka against anything out there. As a matter of fact, some pro reviews have rated it as the best commercially available Vodka.

The spirit is micro-distilled (6x) in an old style pot still similar to fine single-malt liquors and cognacs. To be honest, there's really very little to say about it. I've had my fair share of high-end Vodkas, and I'd put this against them any day. As a matter of fact I think it bests them.

A word of caution though, it is sufficiently smooth that you better take care when mixing. If you aren't using a shot glass and simply going by taste, you will end up fucking yourself up pretty quickly. I speak from experience :lol

Tito's really is great. It's a bummer more restaurants and bars don't carry it.

pootle

Fireye said:

Fuuuuuuuuuck Noooooooooo! Blackstrap Rum Nooooooooo!

So there I was sitting my brewing and distilling exam along with maybe 50 other people.

I know my way around whisky, vodka and gin production but come on, we don't make rum in scotland. Probably should have studied it more in hindsight but how many questions can there be on rum? It's not hard to make.

First question was on rum. Second question was on rum. The third question was about the soluble sugar content of blackstrap molasses used for making rum.

I look around and every single person is doing the same. What the fuck is going on? Soluble sugar content of blackstrap fucking molasses? Oh Shit.

I still can't even look at the stuff. Fucking traumatic experience.

Esch

Banned
Went out and got a cheap ass handle of new amsterdam. Pretty damn solid if i do say so myself, especially for that price!

m3k

Stumpokapow said:
cheap vodka
+ britta filter
=

mid-level vodka

how does no one know this?

note that it'll never give you the subtlety of a really good vodka, but it saves an enormous amount of money and it makes terrible cheap vodkas into tasteless mid-level vodkas suitable for mix and many other purposes.

awesome

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom