• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's be honest about DriveClub....

freefornow

Gold Member
Absolute fucking drivel
No rain, no snow, no night

2985799-0638191981-12484.jpg
2985800-0614409479-12466.jpg
2985801-4179948843-92074.jpg

Fredrik

Yeah, 30fps was a bummer, I don’t care about 4K a 60fps update alone would make this game shine!

However, the real shame is Evolution being closed. Why did that even happen?? Rocky launch, sure, but that happened to lots of games.
Should’ve closed Polyphony instead for being so slow and not reading the room regarding single player racing. I had already jumped to PS4 when GT6 was released so I’ve been waiting on a proper GT for over 10 years!

Anyway, hopefully there are some Evolution masterminds still around after Codemasters built them up and EA swallowed them. I want a former Evolution team to work on a new Motorstorm type of title for PC! 🤩

xrnzaaas

Driveclub would need a patch to look proper good in 4K, but I think a lot of work has already been done. The difference in image quality between the photo mode and normal gameplay was very visible in this game, probably more than in any other game with photo mode I've played last gen. The base PS4 specs were holding them back.

Last edited:

Fredrik

A patch would be amazing, but Sony does not want to remind people are amazing this game is.
Should’ve thought about it’s quality, and their previous games, before they closed the studio. Sure they never made a metascore 90+ game and Driveclub sits at meta 71 with a userscore at 6.3. But with 10 or so games released in 20 years and a uniqueness in their games which filled a blank spot it’s still one of the strangest decision Sony has made to close them. They also had the reputation for having among the best post-launch support last gen.

s-bojan

Banned
We will have to wait for ps4 emulator, to get it running in 4k/60.
The game looked good for the time, but it looks really bad today. I've played both DC and PGR3/4 last year, it is just not close...PRG is way better.

Mattyp

Gold Member
Oh look, its one of those "let me cherry pick one of those places where the game truly wasn't 8K textured". Lmao, these posts are the most pathetic despite knowing the game was working on a base PS4 at HD res.
The game looks shit not in motion in any patch of the game (non replay) compared to modern Forza titles, it was a launch PS4 title so it was great at the time. The quality compared to todays standard isn't there but.

Last edited:

TrebleShot

Gold Member
DIRT 5 is the spiritual off-road successor and its just as good which similarly looks stunning in certain environments.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
The game was bad. The only reason it was looked upon as great was because the ps4 lacked racing games. Let's be real here.

Personally I really hated how the cars felt on the road. When you are in high speed the wheel screeched when you were turning just a little which made me drop the game.

And yes, I do own a PS4. I know some might get shocked over it here.

I played a ton after they finally got the online working. Really great game and it’s sad that the studio got screwed over by Sony. The worst part is that in typical Sony fashion the online was shut down way too soon. Sony online support is a joke.

If you come primarily on sonys platform then I do understand why people are so hesitant about online, saying it will shutdown any moment or looking bad upon online in general.

To be fair, sonys support in general is a joke.

Cyborg

This game is easy to play and plays fantastic, its my fav. racing game (and Im a huge GT fan). This game deserves a PS5 patch

Puskas

Yes, let’s be honest about the shit show that was DC’s release, not to mention the PS+ fuck-up.

However, Evo redeemed themselves and made the game into an absolute beast. The post-launch support was fantastic and for me personally, DC Bikes solidified it as my GOAT arcade racer, no contest.

Managed to put in another 100 hours of playtime last year, that’s how good this game still is.

It’s a damn beautiful looking game at times but not without its faults. I’d kill for a 60fps as well improved AA patch.

xrnzaaas

Yes, let’s be honest about the shit show that was DC’s release, not to mention the PS+ fuck-up.

However, Evo redeemed themselves and made the game into an absolute beast. The post-launch support was fantastic and for me personally, DC Bikes solidified it as my GOAT arcade racer, no contest.

Managed to put in another 100 hours of playtime last year, that’s how good this game still is.

It’s a damn beautiful looking game at times but not without its faults. I’d kill for a 60fps as well improved AA patch.
Yep, the game should've been released at least 6 months later so the studio would have time to deal with the server issues and have weather effects from day 1. The post-launch support was incredible, only GTS managed to match that imo.

The most fun arcade racer last gen. After that all we got was sim-racers one after another with elevator music. I dont know how anyone can say the game was bad besides the press reviewing the game. The online didnt work out the gate thats true...I had it day one and loved the campaign. So unless you specifically bought the game for online, I dont udnerstand how you can hate on it.

I still have it installed, it looks gorgeous, a bit dated but still great looking. It looks better than NFS Heat that came out less than 2 years ago and this was a 2013 game. Soundtrack was boss, the tracks were plentiful and large. It was a modern day Project Gotham Racing. My point is, this game performed nowhere as bad or had as bad reception as The Order 1886. The fact that they went out of their way not to only cut the servers but to remove the game completely from the store and all of its DLC...makes no sense. The fucking Avengers game had worse reception yet it was just left alone. Driveclub deserved a sequel, simple as that.

What do we have nowadays for arcade racers? Nothing.

Whitecrow

Banned
What surprises me the most, is that even seeing lots of support for the game and lots of people saying how much they love the game, there's still people who just blatantly says 'the game is shit'.
Not even 'I didnt like it', or 'it didnt click with me', just straight up is shit.

Man, if people were more conscious about how opinions and preferences work and felt less like 'I have the aqbsolute truth', we would live in a much better place.

Hunnybun

Should’ve thought about it’s quality, and their previous games, before they closed the studio. Sure they never made a metascore 90+ game and Driveclub sits at meta 71 with a userscore at 6.3. But with 10 or so games released in 20 years and a uniqueness in their games which filled a blank spot it’s still one of the strangest decision Sony has made to close them. They also had the reputation for having among the best post-launch support last gen.

I just didn't see the point. It felt like a punishment more than anything else.

Why not just let them build a season 2 to build on the base game? Would've been cheap and almost bound to make money. Give them a chance to put things right.

And this was a time when they were still short of games, and the Forza Horizon series was starting to really make waves. They could have done with a potential competitor like Driveclub.

It's a real shame.

UnNamed

Banned
Unpopular opinion: Driveclub wouldn't look good at 4K. The art style really helped cover up the graphical weaknesses (like shitty textures). 4K would blow those weaknesses up and make them more apparent.
What shitty textures?

The only graphical issue DC had was its very cheap TAA which worked only when everything was in motion but it was completely absent when stationary.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Same reason why PGR is so beloved. AAA simcade on stunning tracks that allows for mastery by virtue of closed circuit.

Take your open world racers and put them where the sun don't shine!

There is a sizable gap in the genre. F U SONY and MS!
Saying forza horizon isn’t beloved? That’s crazy man.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Is it really? Dead games get threads weekly, where are the ones for the alive and kicking?
If there was a drive club 2 or 3 there wouldn’t be threads weekly, the fact Sony shut the studio down and the fact there will be no sequel is why there’s threads.

still lots of threads on forza horizon, there is one on the first page

NahaNago

Buzz Killington ladies and gentlemen.
I'm not trying to be super negative, just realistic. The studios is pretty much gone and what is left of that studio has been absorbed by EA. So I just don't see Sony paying someone to enhance the game for next gen and I don't see them making a Driveclub 2 since a lot of complaints and comparisons would be made because of the studio they let go.

Shmunter

I'm not trying to be super negative, just realistic. The studios is pretty much gone and what is left of that studio has been absorbed by EA. So I just don't see Sony paying someone to enhance the game for next gen and I don't see them making a Driveclub 2 since a lot of complaints and comparisons would be made because of the studio they let go.
You’re right. And when you’re right, you’re right.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Is it really? Dead games get threads weekly, where are the ones for the alive and kicking?
By your logic then neither God of war uncharted spider man etc isn't beloved because they don't get threads weekly.

farmerboy

I will never, and I mean never, understand why Sony let go of Evolution.

Great game that played very well on a pad. Perfect for that "I'll play 3 races before dinner" and then you eat dinner cold, 3hrs later.

Fredrik

30fps racing.

lol.
Hot take but no I don’t think Driveclub or PGR3/4 or Forza Horizon 1/2/3 is worth the praise in their current form, because of the framerate. They’re good games but desperately needs a fps boost patch to sit with the top games in the genre.

Well, except FH3 which is on PC too 🤩

Skifi28

Gold Member
Without rain or at night, it wasn't much of a looker. Unfortunately the devs knew that and every single race needed to have the time of day change at some point and then have the skies open to the point it was difficult to see from cockpit view. It got tiring really fast, just let me drive at day on dry weather for once game.

Top Bottom