• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's clear up the confusion on Baby Bowser and Bowser Jr.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I feel this thread is necessary after some confusion I've seen in the Yoshi's Wooly World threads. It's time to set the record straight!

This is Baby Bowser:

zVfi9xA.jpg
DQp3HqH.png

As his name implies, this is Bowser as a baby, not Bowser's baby. Baby Bowser is the main antagonist of the Yoshi sub-series, and his only appearance outside of them so far is in Partners in Time. If you see a little Bowser dude in game where Yoshi is the main character, it's this guy.

And this is Bowser Jr.

7Pdr8ym.png
WtVF7mu.png

Bowser Jr. IS not Bowser as a kid, but rather he's Bowser's kid. Bowser Jr. first appeared in Super Mario Sunshine, and since then has been a key figure in games such as New Super Mario Bros. and Mario Galaxy. If you ever see a small Bowser character in a game that isn't Yoshi's Island, or the above-mentioned Partners in Time, it's this guy.

In all fairness, Baby Bowser's design has slightly evolved over the years to resemble Bowser Jr. more and more, notably gaining Jr.'s head horns, but overall Baby Bowser has a slightly more elongated face, and usually a meaner expression. Furthermore, Bowser Jr. now is always seen wearing his trademark bandanna---perhaps this was a way for Nintendo to help differentiate the two!

Now, Partners in Time is the BIGGEST problem that might've led to the two being confused so ofter. It was the first appearance of Baby Bowser in a post-Bowser Jr world, and they confusingly made this his design:

bQg4YPc.png

As you can see, they added a banadana. It's not the same as Jr.'s, but definately made things a bit confusing. Thankfully, Nintendo wisely removed this when Baby Bowser appeared in Yoshi's Island 2 and Yoshi's New Island, and now no one should get them confused.

Now, due to the angle of him, you can't tell if this Bowser on the Wooly World Box-Art is wearing the bandana or not, but based on tradition, it's likely Baby Bowser, Yoshi's nemesis.
PMp338R.jpg

Of course, it would be interesting if they made Bowser Jr. the foe for once, especially considering his role in the main series is starting to shrink now that the Koopalings are back. Maybe Jr. can take over his (infant) father's role for once? But it remains to be seen...

Oh, and let's talk about these dudes:

qVm35f6.png

These dudes are original Mario Party characters...they've been called "Baby Bowsers", "Koopa Kids", etc. over the years, but the original Japanese name for them is simply Mini-Koopa. No clue who these fuckers are, they seem to basically be Bowser's clones he uses. They appeared throughout Mario Party till Mario Party DS, where Bowser Jr. finally replaced them and since then they've been dropped from the canon. Let's just pretend these horrible abominations never existed, ok?

Thank you for your time and attention.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Where does my boy roy fit into this equation? WHy is he a pallete swap in sm4sh but his own character in mk8?

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Bowser Jr. has Baby Bowser's eyes. And mouth. And hair. And everything.

But who's Bowser's babies daddy? Who mama Bowser? WHY DOES BOWSER HAVE SO MANY DAMN KIDS!? Maybe Bowser just wants to kidnap Peach to babysit his children, I dunno!

Richie

Oh, and let's talk about these dudes:

qVm35f6.png

These dudes are original Mario Party characters...they've been called "Baby Bowsers", "Koopa Kids", etc. over the years, but the original Japanese name for them is simply Mini-Koopa. No clue who these fuckers are, they seem to basically be Bowser's clones he uses. They appeared throughout Mario Party till Mario Party DS, where Bowser Jr. finally replaced them and since then they've been dropped from the canon. Let's just pretend these horrible abominations never existed, ok?

Someone at Nintendo is a fan of Huey, Louie and Dewey.

Watch Da Birdie

But who's Bowser's babies daddy? Who mama Bowser? WHY DOES BOWSER HAVE SO MANY DAMN KIDS!? Maybe Bowser just wants to kidnap Peach to babysit his children, I dunno!

Bowser is like a Namekian, he reproduces asexually by spitting out eggs from his mouth.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I remember hearing somewhere that the Koopalings aren't Bowser's kids, but some random kids he took under his wing.

No. Fuck that. They're his kids.

Queue Miyamoto citation to prove me wrong

El Odio

Banned
The bandanna is a dead giveaway of who's who but the added horns on baby Bowser's head don't help at all either.

Luigi87

I was... just thinking about this the other day, lol

And I had forgotten about the Mario Party characters... Ugh.

TreIII

Where does my boy roy fit into this equation? WHy is he a pallete swap in sm4sh but his own character in mk8?
Roy and the Koopalings are considered Bowser's "kobun" in Japan. Not his biological children, but close enough. And Nintendo's never bothered to change/update the "story" for any of SMB3's re-releases, which makes it even funnier.

Watch Da Birdie

As of their appearance in New Super Mario Bros., the Koopalings are called in Japan "The Koopa Underlings", and Mario Kart 8 and Smash calls them the "Koopa 7 Clan". Tezuka also said they're not his children as of NSMBWii, but are siblings among one another, and I guess Bowser adopted them.

In the original Japanese manual for 3, Bowser did introduce them as "his sons". But it seems nowadays they probably did rewrite them to just be related to him in a nebulous way, with only Jr. actually being his son.

Aw mind blown. I remember him in mario party, where bowser called him his cohort... but apparently it's those Koopa Kids... Way to keep everything straight nintendo :D

poopninjamvc3mk

I sucked six dicks to get this tag.
Can we talk about how Mama Peach is refusing to pay child support or acknowledging her kids?!

This is disgusting.

You can't just get Bowser's goodies then not deal with the aftermath of not using protection

Peach gets kidnapped like clockwork every couple of years. How long does it take Mario to rescue her? 9 months maybe?

I'm pretty sure Peach and Bowser both orchestrate her kidnappings as a cover up for their weird romance. Just think about it. Given the frequency and apparent ease she's constantly kidnapped, the fact that she's never hurt at all, the fact that Bowser doesn't even make any fucking demands. I mean...come on...

Watch Da Birdie

And someone in the Wooly World thread got very upset when they saw that "Bowser Jr," was in it.

Big One

Banned
They're definitely of the same "concept" so to speak but they were never intended to be the same character by any means. Bowser Jr. is Bowser's son, and Baby Bowser is Bowser as a baby.

The Koopalings were originally Bowser's sons as well but were recently retconned into being his nephews and nieces.

TreIII

As of their appearance in New Super Mario Bros., the Koopalings are called in Japan "The Koopa Underlings", and Mario Kart 8 and Smash calls them the "Koopa 7 Clan". Tezuka also said they're not his children as of NSMBWii, but are siblings among one another, and I guess Bowser adopted them.

In the original Japanese manual for 3, Bowser did introduce them as "his sons". But it seems nowadays they probably did rewrite them to just be related to him in a nebulous way, with only Jr. actually being his son.

Yeah, and as I said above, other media, like the final MK8 Direct before release, referred to them as "Kuppa Daimaoh no Kobun". Kobun in this case would just denote a parent-child bond without blood being involved, like in a Yakuza Oyabun-Kobun relationship.

It's "good enough", in my opinion.

JSoup

Banned
Surely everyone who's allowed to edit the MarioWiki knows the difference, right?

Fans are fans, friend.
They'll argue their points into the ground until you give up.
It went on for far longer than it should have before we admins and our senior editors stepped in and put an end to it.

Watch Da Birdie

Wasn't Ludwig supposed to be next in line to Bowser's throne until he got retconned by Jr.?

Ludwig is apparently the eldest, or so a Nintendo guide said. I remember in the Nintendo Power comic Ludwig was the leader of the kids.

So if it was by birthright, then when he was Bowser's oldest actual son then yeah, he'd be next in line.

Baby Bowser was obviously younger than Bowser Jr., hence the lack of horns. Now they've added tiny ones to show he's a slightly older baby Bowser, maybe around the same age as Bowser Jr.

all i know is that Bowser Jr. is the worst new addition to the mario character line and the koopa kids will forever be the only legit progeny.

Top Bottom