• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's discuss finishing moves in fighting games and their relevancy today

ScOULaris

Growing up as a child of the late 80's/early 90's, I was enamored with finishing moves. Ever since the day an older friend of mine introduced me to the original Mortal Kombat on SNES (censored and all), I was hooked to not only fighting games but also the idea of finishing off your opponent in a stylized, violent fashion. After the success of Mortal Kombat, everyone and their mother was throwing their hat into the ring with one MK knock-off after the next. Suddenly every western-developed fighting game had to offer violent finishing moves, and some of them tried to up the ante with more violence or absurdity than even MK offered.

Sub%20Zero--article_image.jpg
Sub-Zero_Fatality_MK2.png

At one point in the mid-90's it became a given that finishing moves in some incarnation were just part of the fighting game paradigm. People loved them, and discovering them all in communal fashion via the magic of 90's pre-internet arcade culture was great fun. But as time passed many of these MK wannabes faded away, and only fighting games with rock-solid gameplay mechanics and some semblance of balance would go on to stand the test of time competitively. Once fighting games shifted into more niche territory as a purely competitive genre (and less of a more general draw at arcades), the focus drifted away from finishing moves completely.

Sure, you had some SNK games still dabbling in them even going into the late 90's/early 2000's (e.g. Samurai Shodown IV and V Special, Last Blade 1 and 2... etc.), but at this time they were starting to become a remnant of the past. Only the MK series continued to implement them, but by this time MK had moved to consoles exclusively and fell even further out of favor with the competitive fighting game community due to their more casual nature.

Now let's fast-forward to today. Ever since 2009 with the release of Street Fighter IV, fighting games have had sort of a second renaissance with the advent of online play opening up the genre to millions of new players with a thirst for competition in grassroots tournaments all over the country. During this period of growth we've seen most of the enduring fighting game series from the 90's find new footing in the market with a refreshed sense of purpose. Now they were being developed with the competitive hardcore directly in mind, so gameplay tightness and balance were key. Finishing moves, at least for everyone other than MK, had been cast aside in the interest of keeping matches flowing quickly from one to the next in tournament play.

And I get it. After you've seen a finishing move a few dozen times, it grows old. There's no doubting that. And the process of discovery has been accelerated so drastically by the Internet that it no longer holds the same appeal that it did in the era of arcade dominance. While MK has stuck to its guns with fatalities despite attempting to be more competitive on a tournament level, its finishing moves have become increasingly macabre and lengthy in recent entries. While Fatalities got to a point of ridiculousness with earlier entries like MK3 and MK4, now some find them to be almost too disturbing and serious.

So is there even a place for finishing moves in a modern context? Well... I think there could be. Allow me to point to a few modern examples that I think work perfectly well without wasting the players' time:

• Mortal Kombat X Brutalities - With MKX's re-imagining of Brutalities from MK Trilogy players are able to essentially modify existing moves as they're being executed at the end of a match to make them lethal. This all happens unexpectedly and without breaking up the flow of the fight to cut to a cinematic sequence with a darkened background. In a way, this is reminiscent of the classic MK fatalities that occurred rather quickly and without a dramatic, canned shift in perspective. I think it works wonderfully and allows players to add some flair to the end of a match, especially since they all require some sort of conditions to be met before they can be performed.

GiddySpeedyCoot.gif
  • Killer Instinct (2013) Stage Finishers and Ultimates - Now I've always been a fan of stage finishers. They happen automatically when finishing an opponent with a certain move or in a particular spot on a stage, look cool, don't take up much time, and add a sense of interaction and character to the stage. All of the Season 2 stages in Killer Instinct feature them, and I thought that was an excellent addition to the game. They can be avoided completely by canceling your ultra early, of course, so it is up to the player if they want to trigger them.

As for Ultimates, there is only one in the game so far (Shadow Jago). The hope is that they will eventually implement Ultimates for every character, as I think they are a nice medium between the modern cinematic style of MK's fatalities and the more brisk result of MKX's Brutalities. And as of right now they seem to be more stylish than violent, which is cool because finishing moves don't always need to go for shock value to be a satisfying end to a match. I especially like how you have to still be on your first stock of health in order to do them, which makes performing one in competitive play all the more stylish and rare.

VillainousBestGoldenmantledgroundsquirrel.gif

To round us off, I'll reference a post I made in a thread way back in 2011 containing a bunch of links to finishing move compilations from older games. Hopefully these will serve as a nice trip down memory lane to a time when every fighting game was putting its own spin on Fatalities.

So that's my list off the top of my head. What are some of your favorite Finishing Moves ever? It's definitely tough to single them out, since there have been so many Fatalities, No Mercies, Stage Finishers, Humilations, Babalities, Friendships, Animalities... etc. over the years. To help refresh your memory, see the list of links to Fatality compilations below:

Popular

Mortal Kombat
www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPyIK_Vnbl4

Mortal Kombat II (including Friendships)
www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7KyC3NfNxY

Ultimate MK3
www.youtube.com/watch?v=dF8gWIPz0WQ

Mortal Kombat 4
www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgO3Ix9jNXc

MK: Deadly Alliance
www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFDzHp995is

MK: Deception
www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGjxfXuRYU8

Mortal Kombat (2011)
www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMCtwA-Me08
www.youtube.com/watch?v=dG7918OTNMM

Killer Instinct
www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZU82yCybW4

Killer Instinct 2
www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3SfjrUDGDs

Primal Rage
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fuu3lbNy1KY

Samurai Shodown IV
www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnMruBI3A0k

Samurai Shodown V Special
www.youtube.com/watch?v=YggvBQ4uSPc

Guilty Gear Accent Core Plus (Instant Kills)
www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcsczirEM-0

Obscure

Mace the Dark Age (N64)
www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pcomUBll0Y#t=1m26s

Tattoo Assassins
www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_08g0Vu7CM

War Gods
www.youtube.com/watch?v=1B1DIaOLtiU

Way of the Warrior (3D0)
www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_Ya4mSkDMI

Ultra Vortek (Jaguar)
www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxAf0bmjn4o

Kasumi Ninja (Jaguar)
www.youtube.com/watch?v=UM82PgC1VVU

Eternal Champions (Sega CD)
www.youtube.com/watch?v=rF_vFa79VSQ

BloodStorm
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nun6IqWGHKU

---

Be sure to check out the compilation videos for some of the lesser-known games. Even mediocre fighting games in the 90's had some interesting Finishing Moves. I especially recommend watching the Eternal Champions video. That game had the most elaborate, exquisitely animated 2D finishers ever.

Finishing movies are boring. You've already won the match, they don't add much and they get repetitive.

Ultras are much better. They take place during the match and can turn the tides in your favor, or put the nail in the coffin.

DrArchon

I like how ASW does instant kill moves. Make them moves you do in match and have to commit resources and potentially sacrifice things like positioning/oki/etc.

Stuff like fatalities are great for marketing, but yeah after I've seen them all on Youtube once I don't really feel the need to do them in actual matches. I'd much rather just get on to playing another match.

KTO

Its all about how long the animations are. The supers in SFV are already starting to grate on people, but this could also have to do with the fact that theres no variety.
It would actually be pretty cool if mk could somehow implement custom fatalities, that way there could (in theory) be less repetition and it would remove the focus from humiliating your opponent to sharing something you created.

ScOULaris

Its all about how long the animations are. The supers in SFV are already starting to grate on people, but this could also have to do with the fact that theres no variety.

Yeah, I agree. That's why I pointed to MKX's Brutalities as an example of how to implement them in a way that doesn't get in the way but still adds some unexpected flair to the end of some matches. They happen very quickly and catch people off guard.

shaowebb

I think I like it better when you can just beat on their body after you win between rounds but since rounds are more and more often just taking pace moments after each other with no screen transition and fade out this is less prominent. Failing this I like Brutalities as its just an extra thing that happens during the match on the last hit if you styled and met certain conditions. Thats always fairly fun and exciting as it draws out the last hit and it styles on folks. Great for the viewers and live audiences.

I still remember the first time I saw a finishing move. At that point I had never heard of Mortal Kombat but I saw some older kids playing it in the arcade so I watched. And then the character that won ripped the other guy's head off. I had never seen anything like it. It was the ultimate mic drop... Not only did that player beat you, but then your character's head got ripped off. He's dead now because you sucked.

It was so effective for me because I had no idea that it was coming. I never even knew that such a thing would be possible in a game! The surprise and the violence were jaw dropping. I don't think I talked about anything else at school that week.

After that... eh... once the surprise is gone it's just not as fun.

They're ok. They're not a plus or a minus to me. They're...there. Some are cool, some aren't.

MK Vs. DC has some awful ones though.

I like how ASW does instant kill moves. Make them moves you do in match and have to commit resources and potentially sacrifice things like positioning/oki/etc.

Stuff like fatalities are great for marketing, but yeah after I've seen them all on Youtube once I don't really feel the need to do them in actual matches. I'd much rather just get on to playing another match.

Yeah. The beauty of the ASW system is that the conditions are so strict, you are far less likely to see them and in turn, more surprised when you do.

Ive had GGXrd for nearly 7 months now and I still havent seen every one. Likewise with brutatilies.

I had seen every MK fatality before the game was even official out.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
I enjoy them, but they definitely aren't important to me in a fighting game, since Virtua Fighter is my favorite fighting series.

I like how in street fighter if you finish someone off with a ultra combo the background changes. Always fun to end that way in SFIII.

Sesha

Fatalities are no different from supers in most fighters. They're as detailed and long as they are purely for the spectacle of it. But unlike supers, they're a vestigial feature, there mostly because it's a crowd pleaser and adds a bit of casual flavor. But in games like MK I wish Fatalities mattered in terms of gameplay.

Yahtzee was on point when he said it should be renamed to Formalities (which he probably didn't do first), because that's what they feel like. They're just kind of there, and they don't matter in terms of actual play. I wish Fatalities in MK worked like Instant Kills in GG or the Fatalities in Samurai Shodown V, where they require elaborate set ups and some skill to actually pull off. The latter is close to how Brutalities work in MKX.

For MKXI or whatever I would like to see modes where Fatalities could work like the equivalents I mentioned above

transitioning fatalities to be like Blazblue astral's could actually work really well. Keep the complicated positioning and button requirements, but make them activate in match, require 100% meter, and opponent health <= 30%

Then you would see them in moments where they would be hype as hell, rarely they could even be your best option for a finishing blow

Brutalities > Fatalities

Just take out the slow mo on them and the requirements to have them occur.

Just have a kill animation occur when certain moves are the last hit of the match, and use that as the win pose screen. A way to have the fancy finish and be fast.

DrArchon

transitioning fatalities to be like Blazblue astral's could actually work really well. Keep the complicated positioning and button requirements, but make them activate in match, require 100% meter, and opponent health <= 30%

Then you would see them in moments where they would be hype as hell, rarely they could even be your best option for a finishing blow

The problem with that is that fatalities are a HUGE draw for casual fans. Remember when WB added microtransactions so players could pay to do them automatically? Those are the kind of people that fatalities are meant to appeal to, the people that don't play fighting games seriously. Making them like GG instant kills or BB astrals would ruin the game for a lot of casual players, and their the ones that make MK the huge seller that it is.

How did people discover fatalities back when there was no internet? Mash on controller and get lucky? I can't imagine just brute forcing it. Like at the end of a match they try up-up-up low-kick, oh didn't work, next match, up-up-down lk, up-up-left lk , so on and so on until something works?

vg260

They are obnoxious online. You should be able to turn off long-animation end of match finishing moves/cinematics. At least have a button shortcut or pause menu option to let you disconnect out of a match with no penalty at that point (after a loss is recorded, of course).

It's just waste of people's time, especially with online play becoming the primary way a lot of players play, and a lot of old-school fighting game fans now older with less gaming time. It adds up. It something I hate about KI and MK. KI is especially obnoxious when you have to sit through double Ultras. To me, it's so much more rude then taunting.

ScOULaris

How did people discover fatalities back when there was no internet? Mash on controller and get lucky? I can't imagine just brute forcing it. Like at the end of a match they try up-up-up low-kick, oh didn't work, next match, up-up-down lk, up-up-left lk , so on and so on until something works?

Yep. Even discovering special moves during the early days of Street Fighter 2 came by accident and slowly spread via word-of-mouth through arcades. It was the best, man. You should've been there. Every time you'd go to the arcade someone would bust out some new move/fatality/whatever they you hadn't seen before, and you'd be like, "How did you do that?!"

Beyond just moves and fatalities, people eventually uncovering hidden characters, stages, and other things was a highlight of the pre-internet arcade era as well. MK popularized hiding a bunch of easter eggs in fighting games as well, and lots of others tried to follow suit.

Also keep in mind that monthly magazines like EGM and GamePro would often have pretty hefty fighting game coverage with moves/fatality lists as they were discovered. There were other ways of disseminating information back then, just not as fast as with the proliferation of the Internet.

Finishing movies are boring. You've already won the match, they don't add much and they get repetitive.

Ultras are much better. They take place during the match and can turn the tides in your favor, or put the nail in the coffin.

They are obnoxious online. You should be able to turn off long-animation end of match finishing moves/cinematics. At least have a button shortcut or pause menu option to let you disconnect out of a match with no penalty at that point (after a loss is recorded, of course).

It's just waste of people's time, especially with online play becoming the primary way a lot of players play, and a lot of old-school fighting game fans now older with less gaming time. It adds up. It something I hate about KI and MK. KI is especially obnoxious when you have to sit through double Ultras. To me, it's so much more rude then taunting.

These, it's a tired old gimmick. What reason is there to implement moves just to kill the characters at all?

Series of fighters like KOF, Guilty Gear, VF, BlazBlue, Tekken, Soul Calibur, & SF doesn't do that.

Tizoc

You rarely if ever see Astrals and Instant Kills in competitive matches anyways.
They're flashy stuff for SP purposes and you can also NOT perform them if you want.

Just because a character has a special instant kill super does not mean you have to use it :V

Loona

I like how Super Robot Wars, which is a SRPG instead of a fighter, handles this - when certain moves hit and they'll finish a unit, the animation changes to something flashier that looks like more of a definite end for the target. IIRC they call those Dynamic Kills.

Then again, damage is determined the moment an attack lands, with the animation being a formality that can often be skipped - a lot of supers in fighters work like this though, those that lock victims into place upon an early hit - it's the kind of phenomena that allows many a Darkstalkers super to be kinda crazy and flaahy, like Demitri's Midnight Bliss.

petran79

Banned
I remember Barbarian (Death Sword) on computers during the 80s. In 2 player VS mode main goal was to decaptitate the opponent during gameplay or deplete his energy. Everyone went for decapitation. It even had weapon parry, roll evade and roll trip. Years ahead of its time!

As for new games, I liked how Battle Fantasia tries to integrate gameplay in story mode. You have to perform specific movements, finishers, taunts and actions to unlock full story.

TreIII

I wish Fatalities in MK worked like Instant Kills in GG or the Fatalities in Samurai Shodown V, where they require elaborate set ups and some skill to actually pull off.

And even there, I actually was a bit more fond of how it worked in some older SS games and Last Blade, where hitting with the right normal slash/poke or even certain specials could be a fun way to end the match on dramatic note. But even there, it kept things brisk where the other schmuck would collapse and bleed out/get chopped in half, and things were kept moving on to the next set.

Brutalities in MKX are definitely a step in the right direction.

ScOULaris

And even there, I actually was a bit more fond of how it worked in some older SS games and Last Blade, where hitting with the right normal slash/poke or even certain specials could be a fun way to end the match on dramatic note. But even there, it kept things brisk where the other schmuck would collapse and bleed out/get chopped in half, and things were kept moving on to the next set.

Yeah, I really like the Samurai Shodown/Last Blade style of finishers too. They're simple, but effective.

I like BB Astrals/GGXrd Instant Kills more than how MK does it.

Mainly because it requires a ton of resources and there's a chance you could fail. When someone decides to get gutsy and go for it in a hype match it's usually pretty entertaining. Where as with MK it occurs after the match is over since the enemy can't do anything about it.

Rarity really does help, which is why Astral finishes or Instant Kills from Blazblue and Guilty Gear, respectively, are interesting examples. You can only do them in certain circumstances, with the right knowledge. Fatalities sorta have is aspect though they're too easy to do over and over.

Making them rare makes it hype.

Razzorn34

I actually like how the fatalities were in the old Samurai Showdowns. You just had a chance to get them on the last hit. Nothing too over the top, but still really cool.

It would actually be pretty cool if mk could somehow implement custom fatalities, that way there could (in theory) be less repetition and it would remove the focus from humiliating your opponent to sharing something you created.

Didn't one of the MK games two gens ago do custom fatalities? If I remember correctly they were actually kinda dull and had the opposite effect--everyone's looked mostly the same.

ScOULaris

Didn't one of the MK games two gens ago do custom fatalities? If I remember correctly they were actually kinda dull and had the opposite effect--everyone's looked mostly the same.

Well that's because they were all super boring and uninteresting. They did that with Armageddon because the cast was just too enormous to give everyone two fatalities specific to each character, I'd wager. Game had every character from every MK game in it.

I actually like how the fatalities were in the old Samurai Showdowns. You just had a chance to get them on the last hit. Nothing too over the top, but still really cool.

Seen this a couple times, now, but just as a reminder: GG Xrd now has a 2nd implementation of IKs where you can combo into them if your opponent is below a certain amount of life.

Tangentially related, the game with the best finishing moves:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9V3O9dDj4Ck&t=1m55s

dan2026

Finishers are fun.

They are little crowd pleasers that also let you rub your opponents nose it it a little bit.
A way to let of some steam after a tough fight.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty

wasting time after a match > wasting time in the middle of a match

you wanna talk repetitive? shinkuuuu

Sesha

I'd say Brutalities for the most part are as quick or quicker than kills in SamSho and Last Blade, as a lot of the time the death animations would take a while to play out.

Kent

I feel like KI has hit a good place with these.

There's not a post-fight place to do them like in MK - instead, you get someone down to 20% of their last health bar, and you can use your Ultra input in place of a finisher. That means that prior to executing the Ultra as a finisher, the combo is still breakable.

Aesthetically, they fit pretty well into Killer Instinct for a couple of reasons. One is that the game is all about combos, really (which are still a two-way interaction, until you hit with the finisher - combos can always be broken somewhere, outside of glitches and lockouts from failed attempts), so why finish someone off with a single attack when you could string together a massive combo instead?

The other part is that music has always been pretty important to KI's identity, and this shows through in Ultras now. The character performing the Ultra determines a melody by their hits, and the stage determines the instrumentation used by it, and using your Ultra Ender to cancel it also has its own stinger that plays. Combined with the stages usually crumbling into chaos in some way when you trigger one, it can be a really satisfying way to end a particularly heated match.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Finishing moves are ok in some circumstances, especially competitive settings and you want to rub in your victory. I like specials or ultras more because they can actually have a tactical use.

But finishers are optional for the most part. Whether they are there or not is immaterial since they are mostly cosmetic.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
They are only fun to watch once, then they just become annoying time wasters.

Super fast stuff like MKX Brutalities or the old Sam Sho finshers are fine.

Top Bottom