• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's discuss games with the best AI implementations!

supernova8

Banned
A lot of people like to talk about graphics but there's not as much discussion around AI in games. With the dawn of a new generation and therefore a new baseline for game consoles, I thought it would be interesting to discuss what we expect in terms of game AI going forward, and also discuss our picks of the past in terms of AI.

Whatever you pick doesn't have to be the absolute best (it can if you want), you're also free to pick out games that were ahead of their time in terms of artificial intelligence.

I'll go first!

F.E.A.R.

I managed to find a video that goes into detail about why FEAR's AI is/was so impressive at the time. Seems to be something about GOP (Goal Oriented Planning).

GamingBolt put out a video on game AI but I could only really find myself agreeing with FEAR. I thought the AI in Half Life 2 was garbage (a real let down considering how good the physics engine was).

As for what I expect/hope for in future games.. if we're talking about combat-type games I would want:
- war games where the enemy will put down some suppressing fire while they drag their dead/wounded comrades out of the killzone.
- more realistic hit boxes where people are wounded in real-time.
- systems where if the enemy spots you approaching their town, they may set up an ambush but it'll actually be well placed so you cannot spot it.
- enemies that are generally smart in the way they flank. Perhaps they throw out smoke grenades to cover their movements, or place traps at their last known location.

I understand that AI is not exactly the easiest thing to do, but I really want to see more games with believable AI. Right now there are usually two types:

(A) Games with dumb AI that puts up no challenge.
(B) Games with superhuman AI that seems to know what you're going to do before you do it, or will get one shot kills every time.

Anyway, let's have at it !

Last edited:

FourEyesGod

Neo Member
For me i like starcraft 2 AI flexibility, and DOW games AI was not that good but it was fun to play against!!

supernova8

Banned
FEAR and Halo. Pretty insane that nothing to date has topped them. Even the FEAR and Halo sequels got worse AI. They probably found out that better AI doesn't sell games.

Good to know I'm not the only one. I remember being blown away (no pun intended) by the enemy soldiers jumping through windows in order to escape my grenades. Totally agree with Halo. Playing on Legendary was great, it was tough but not Ninja Gaiden levels of tough and so the balance of effort and reward was spot on. Also I think Gears of War had pretty decent AI.

Physiocrat

I don't have any great examples but AI is something I wish devs would focus on more than graphics. It makes the gameplay so much more interesting and rewarding.

I suppose it might make the game too hard but when you start killing some guys in a building without a silencer you should expect more than just the enemies in a few adjacent rooms to you to come after you. Surely much of the building would be alerted.

Shut0wen

A lot of people like to talk about graphics but there's not as much discussion around AI in games. With the dawn of a new generation and therefore a new baseline for game consoles, I thought it would be interesting to discuss what we expect in terms of game AI going forward, and also discuss our picks of the past in terms of AI.

Whatever you pick doesn't have to be the absolute best (it can if you want), you're also free to pick out games that were ahead of their time in terms of artificial intelligence.

I'll go first!

F.E.A.R.

I managed to find a video that goes into detail about why FEAR's AI is/was so impressive at the time. Seems to be something about GOP (Goal Oriented Planning).

GamingBolt put out a video on game AI but I could only really find myself agreeing with FEAR. I thought the AI in Half Life 2 was garbage (a real let down considering how good the physics engine was).

As for what I expect/hope for in future games.. if we're talking about combat-type games I would want:
- war games where the enemy will put down some suppressing fire while they drag their dead/wounded comrades out of the killzone.
- more realistic hit boxes where people are wounded in real-time.
- systems where if the enemy spots you approaching their town, they may set up an ambush but it'll actually be well placed so you cannot spot it.
- enemies that are generally smart in the way they flank. Perhaps they throw out smoke grenades to cover their movements, or place traps at their last known location.

I understand that AI is not exactly the easiest thing to do, but I really want to see more games with believable AI. Right now there are usually two types:

(A) Games with dumb AI that puts up no challenge.
(B) Games with superhuman AI that seems to know what you're going to do before you do it, or will get one shot kills every time.

Anyway, let's have at it !

Isnt the AI in FEAR pretty basic just that they say shit like flank em which makes you think your getting flanked when you aint? Im sure theres a vid about this

Last edited:

silentsod

Neo Member
As others have said: Halo was killer and still stands out to this day.

Thief set the standard for stealth game AI and that was in the 90s!

S

Shodan09

Unconfirmed Member
Alien isolation. The original thief games were amazing for the time too.

Shifty1897

The Last of Us, also back in the PS2 days Metal Gear Solid 3 was incredible. Nobody was doing what Kojima was doing with AI on a CPU limited console back then.

Halo. The Last of Us... (E3 demo), Trico from the last guardian is mind blowingly good, and I'm sure it rudimentary coding but I've always been impressed by the civilian AI's in rockstar games and Skyrim going about their days in the towns and cities cleaning, eating, commuting, observing stuff etc.

Oh and Elizabeth from bioshock infinite is underrated.

Top Bottom