• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's Discuss Third-Wave Feminism

HiResDes

Now before I get anyone too up in arms about the topic, I must say that I absolutely agree with the basic ideology of third-wave feminism conceptually.

I do believe that gender is fluid. I'm strongly against the use of language to create a gender/racial hierarchy in any means. I support the reclaiming of derogatory terms as a means of racial/sexual empowerment.

However, the post-structuralist aspect of the ideology just seems a bit impractical when looked at a from an individual perspective.

It seems impossible to function as a social being without having a strong awareness of stereotypes and of their role in society. Sure, you don't have to adhere to them, nor should you be opposed to the exceptions, but having a lead in the proper way to relate to another person seems rather essential. Many women I've encountered, whether through social reinforcement or because of a few biological discrepancies, do seem to be a bit different from men. I don't think men are on the whole better in any fashion, but overall they've been different.

Adhering to these social norms, or whatever you suppose they are, often leads to a more successful means of intersexual communication than not. Third-wave feminists believe that women should be the ones to determine there own sexuality. And while I don't disagree, I believe this presupposes an unrealistic view of the way society functions in practice. Heterosexual women are socially reinforced to act in a certain way or put on a certain face in order to attract men or to form friends. Heterosexual men are socially reinforced to do the same and to be receptive of the gender stereotypes. It seems true for homosexuals as well.

I know this is an extremely short-sighted view of things, and admittedly a bit self-absorbed as well...But that is actually part of my point. Ultimately, it is my own perception that reigns king, and I believe that goes for each individual. I'd love to transcend any sort of preconceived notions about women or even other races to do so would mar my ability to socially function. I can refrain from spouting hateful things or believing in any sort of elitism, but for example I can't ignore that the 60-year old women in front of me would probably enjoy having that door held for her...And that the 22-year old loud mouth fratboy coming out of the bar would probably not.

Discuss, even if it just resorts to bad-mouthing the OP.

Edit: Just Lock Please. Posted in wrong place again.

Top Bottom