• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's have a Dolan thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
It's not really the jokes that are funny with Dolan, it's what it represents - the simultaneous evolution and devolution of language and meaning in the meme sphere. It's the Monty Python of memes, a sense of the ridiculous created by exaggerating what's already being done to crazy proportions. It just happenned that this outlet was with poorly drawn Disney characters.

Rage comics got overtaken by mundane real life activities being depicted as observational comedy. Witness the watering down of Me Gusta from what was originally meant to mean 'disgusting pleasure' (things like enjoying smelling farts) to mean pleasure of any sort, it became just another 'fuck yeah' type response. Stuff like Spiderpman had to be created to fill the void of the original Me Gusta face's meaning. Troll took off because of great Troll physics jokes, and now has been used just to denote 'asshole' as often as not.

And it all became too clean. All those traced celebrities, kids stating the obvious over and over, too many panels, boring politically correct content...

Dolan's broken, inconsistent art (stolen from a Dutch board originally if I remember correctly?), completely childish broken English, and over the top violence and sex were originally counterpoints to the swamp of meaningless Rage. Witness also 'Monkey Face!' a few weeks ago, which was a parody of the way lower-rung sites trace over anything 4chan puts out there and calls it a Rage face.

Of course Dolan has also become what it paradies, as someone said last page. And there are now a few face-value meme elements to it that are quite funny, Gooby Plz with the main Dolan face is a great punchline.
This is an incredible post.

Better not be copypasta.

smurfx

get some go again
wondered if the dolan doing uncle scrooge from behind comic would be posted. guess we got the edited version.

Doomsayer

Not to toot my own horn, but I go to Dartmouth and love these. My friends who go to school with me do as well. While I'd rather not assert that going to a good school is directly correlated with having a high IQ (which is really an antiquated measure of "intelligence" that compartmentalizes and pigeonholes only one particular subset of analytical, intellectual thought and fails to even accurately serve as a barometer of that form of intelligence), I'd also prefer that you not make sweeping generalizations about a person's intelligence based simply off of their comedic preferences.

In the interest of levity:
http://i.minus.com/ijzO86wt7jWx.jpg[img][/QUOTE]

This is probably the funniest thing I have ever read on GAF.

That isn't a compliment either.

Hoo-doo

Banned
It's not really the jokes that are funny with Dolan, it's what it represents - the simultaneous evolution and devolution of language and meaning in the meme sphere. It's the Monty Python of memes, a sense of the ridiculous created by exaggerating what's already being done to crazy proportions. It just happenned that this outlet was with poorly drawn Disney characters.

Rage comics got overtaken by mundane real life activities being depicted as observational comedy. Witness the watering down of Me Gusta from what was originally meant to mean 'disgusting pleasure' (things like enjoying smelling farts) to mean pleasure of any sort, it became just another 'fuck yeah' type response. Stuff like Spiderpman had to be created to fill the void of the original Me Gusta face's meaning. Troll took off because of great Troll physics jokes, and now has been used just to denote 'asshole' as often as not.

And it all became too clean. All those traced celebrities, kids stating the obvious over and over, too many panels, boring politically correct content...

Dolan's broken, inconsistent art (stolen from a Dutch board originally if I remember correctly?), completely childish broken English, and over the top violence and sex were originally counterpoints to the swamp of meaningless Rage. Witness also 'Monkey Face!' a few weeks ago, which was a parody of the way lower-rung sites trace over anything 4chan puts out there and calls it a Rage face.

Of course Dolan has also become what it paradies, as someone said last page. And there are now a few face-value meme elements to it that are quite funny, Gooby Plz with the main Dolan face is a great punchline.

I like this post, but the bolded part is completely incorrect. Troll physics is just a tiny branch in the long history of the trollface meme.
Yes, I feel horrible for knowing this.

D.Lo

I like this post, but the bolded part is completely incorrect. Troll physics is just a tiny branch in the long history of the trollface meme.
Yes, I feel horrible for knowing this.
Don't want to get caught up in details, it's pretty hard to have seen every comic from every scene all the time. Just anecdotal from my own Reddit experience in 2010, but trollface really solidified in meaning and popularity as the 'prankster' after Troll Physics. I seem to remember it being used as a sort of 'poker face' meaning before that, at least in a few cases. Actually it might have been Troll Dad that turned/returned it into 'cheeky asshole', along with the Melvin version.

Actually GAF was a great way to grab 'best-of' current memes back then, there was a great Troll Physics thread that sorted out the good ones.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Don't want to get caught up in details, it's pretty hard to have seen every comic from every scene all the time. Just anecdotal from my own Reddit experience in 2010, but trollface really solidified in meaning and popularity as the 'prankster' after Troll Physics. I seem to remember it being used as a sort of 'poker face' meaning before that, at least in a few cases. Actually it might have been Troll Dad that turned/returned it into 'cheeky asshole', along with the Melvin version.

Actually GAF was a great way to grab 'best-of' current memes back then, there was a great Troll Physics thread that sorted out the good ones.

You do realize that all these memes come directly from 4chan right? Only Reddit picks them up months/years later, and beats them into the fucking ground.
I don't want to be a "meme-purist" here, but claiming you know memes when your only source is Reddit, that's just wrong.

LQX

dolan-duck-smile.jpg

This is what adds a little bit of a punch to the Dolan comics for me. Disney's crazy history with copyright makes these all the funnier. There is no stopping this.
lol.gif

7bc.jpg

D.Lo

You do realize that all these memes come directly from 4chan right? Only Reddit picks them up months/years later, and beats them into the fucking ground.
I don't want to be a "meme-purist" here, but claiming you know memes when your only source is Reddit, that's just wrong.
Yes of course. I was qualifying my previous comment.
It's sometimes a bit more rapid than 'months' though, I don't and didn't have time to always plow through the chan all the time (though visit to get the vibe at times), and at least back then Reddit was a fairly rapid aggregator of 4chan's creations.

I'm not claiming anything, just giving my take on what I think of the zeitgeist.

Fjordson

There's a really strange and near unexplainable charm to some of the Dolan comics. I think it started a little slow but some of the variants, particularly the gooby pls shit, is hilarious.
Honestly, I agree.

There's a good deal of them that I fail to find funny in the least, but there are some that are great.

Benutzer

nice post! i like a few dolan comics and the ones i like are hilarious.

Dolan was starting to get really bad in Finland and going international didn't help. Some of the humor just doesn't "translate" over the borders.

Edit: Actually some of the comics are funny. But they're kinda missing the original intent.

Jimothy

K

RevDM

Banned
Not really sure what that means, nor will I waste my time on refuting such a ridiculous post.

It means I'm calling you out for attempting to discount the quality of standardized intelligence tests and at the same time trying to sound like you possess some level of intelligence to even make such a claim, and to back it up by name dropping your shitty university.

I guess thesaurus.com wasn't able to extrapolate my last post to an east-to-read format. I hope this clears it up.

Regards,
RavDM

When I first saw the Dolan comics I didn't get it, I just thought they were stupid. But over time I have grown to love them, I know I shouldn't, but I just do, can't explain why.

Neo Child

Banned
I've seen this same exact comic in eight billion different forms, with other childhood characters "subverted."

I do not find the humor in just putting recognizable characters in fucked up situations. I'm not offended, it's just not funny in and of itself.

I'm also getting tired of grotesque drawings of recognizable characters used as shorthand for "funny".

Some talented webcomics artist is starving to death right now and it's your fault.

or as some people would say - "lol"

FStop7

Banned

D.Lo pls

I don't know why I find them funny, there is just a kind of innocence to the humour.

sum+joocy+steks_8c9426_3562902.jpg

This is the best, I think its the combination of the fork and the way joocy steks sounds in my head lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom