• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's lay out the differences between XBOne and Steam, shall we?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Returners

Can you earn achievements in Steam's offline mode? I remember playing PvZ and it didn't register.

I would assume MS has some sort of achievement syncing from Offline mode.

Steam: Game prices frequently and steeply discounted from retail, though not all titles at all times.
XBOne: Gears of War 1 is still $29.99 on XBox 360 Marketplace, XBOne expected to be similar pricing.**
Gears of War 1 is available for like £10 new in the shops though. You'll still be able to get XB1 games cheap at retail. And retailers compete against each other.

massoluk

Banned
look, the comparison to steam is simple.

they both don't have resale rights. and they both have DRM.

so if people are going to bitch about xbone (which they're more than entitled to), bitch about things that logically make sense, don't bitch about the retail rights. don't whine "oh my consumer rights!" instead, say "oh, they're not offering me enough money/incentives to give up my so-called-rights that I happily gave up with steam." (and iOS)

it's not about pro- or anti-microsoft. it's anti-idiotic-and-illogical arguments. either right-to-resale is a sacred principle or it isn't. and if you're fine with steam, then it clearly isn't.

We traded the right to resale of Steam for various benefits, such as those in the OP. There's nothing illogical about it.

Steam: $5 games on hardware of my choice.
XB1: $60 DRM fest on proprietary under-powered hardware.

you think that battlefield 4 on steam will cost $5 launch day?

yes i know in one year probably it will cost that but can you share with me any source that claims that in the future xbox one games will not have any discount after lauunch day?

Just a historical observation-please note what kind of DRM schemes (disc-checks, keys, Starforce, etc.) were popular before Steam really became ascendant in 2007-2008. That might help explain why people are fine with some of the restrictions that exist for games on Steam.

We don't mind the platform's dictatorship because it is by and far benevolent, and if they ever overstepped their bounds too much another competitor would quickly move in.

Need to add that you can purchase game digitally from any marketplace on Steam. Greenman, Amazon, etc. Also, devs/publishers can set their own price on Steam.

Woo-Fu

Banned

yes i know in one year probably it will cost that but can you share with me any source that claims that in the future xbox one games will not have any discount after lauunch day?

BF4 won't cost $5 on Steam. It won't cost anything on Steam because it won't be on Steam. It will be on Origin and if you want a sale you'll have to talk to EA.

Which should give you some idea of what to expect from EA on Xbox One.

BigDug13

Can you earn achievements in Steam's offline mode? I remember playing PvZ and it didn't register.

I would assume MS has some sort of achievement syncing from Offline mode.

Achievements didn't exist until this generation. I could give a rat's ass about them if the trade off is that I get to play my games on deployment.

peluis

Neo Member
look, the comparison to steam is simple.

they both don't have resale rights. and they both have DRM.

so if people are going to bitch about xbone (which they're more than entitled to), bitch about things that logically make sense, don't bitch about the retail rights. don't whine "oh my consumer rights!" instead, say "oh, they're not offering me enough money/incentives to give up my so-called-rights that I happily gave up with steam." (and iOS)

it's not about pro- or anti-microsoft. it's anti-idiotic-and-illogical arguments. either right-to-resale is a sacred principle or it isn't. and if you're fine with steam, then it clearly isn't.

100% agree with you.

I think it's important to note that MS and Sony handle digital purchases very similar to Steam already during this current generation.

Seanspeed

Banned
I'm betting those family and sharing features will be Gold only.
Ok?

I'm just trying to be accurate here. Some people seem plainly unconcerned with being reasonable and more on just hating and trying to repress anybody who dares try and bring up valid comparisons.

1. Steam exists on an open hardware platform, XBone is a closed hardware platform.

Any developer can make a game on PC hardware that does not require Steam. Any user can buy games that run on their hardware that do not require Steam. On Xbone, everything goes through Microsoft.

2. Steam exists in a marketplace where physical distribution is nearly dead due to other factors, not because Valve explicitly killed it to increase their bottom line.

There is an inherent difference between physical and digital distribution of games. Physical distribution on PC is nearly dead, at least in the Americas, and Steam is credited in some ways with resurrecting interest in the platform. Microsoft, on the other hand, is attempting to put a bullet into the living retail market in order to increase their cut.

3. Steam exists on a platform where there is continuous downward price pressure from piracy and other DD stores, due to the platform's open nature.

4. Steam has continually added free features and value to its service to offset what consumers are losing by tying themselves to a Steam account. Microsoft's new system is almost exclusively worse for consumers than its predecessor.

Pretty much all that needs to be said.

We're seeing a lot of posts in Xbox One threads comparing its DRM to Steam as if it's one-to-one. It's been debunked numerous times, but I think it's important enough to warrant a thread comparing the two.

(** asumptions based on info we have)

Steam: No fee for social connectivity services or online play, monthly or annually.
XBOne: Monthly or annual fee, cheapest @ $60/year**

Steam: Game prices frequently and steeply discounted from retail, though not all titles at all times.
XBOne: Gears of War 1 is still $29.99 on XBox 360 Marketplace, XBOne expected to be similar pricing.**

Steam: Cannot resell games, end of story.
XBOne: Allows limited resale of licenses, through specific "participating" retailers only.

Steam: Once set up, Offline Mode allows for offline play of Steam-DRM-only games indefinitely.
XBOne: Requires near-constant internet connection, a minimum of once every 24 hours.

Steam: Offline mode does not limit your playtime on Steam-DRM-only games nor does it limit what you can do offline with your computer.
XBOne: Once offline for more than 24 hours, the XBOne can ONLY be used for DVD/Blu-ray Disc playback, or using the HDMI pass-through for TV features. Game playback is disabled.

Steam: Sharing games is prohibited, as it requires multiple PCs logging into the same account.
XBOne: Allows game sharing among family members, most flexibly when running on the same home console.

Steam: Exists on open platforms, where non-Steam games and other applications can co-exist peacefully. Effectively, Steam is entirely optional.
XBOne: All games are limited ENTIRELY to those available in the Xbox Marketplace and require online registration to play.

Steam: DLC can made available by game publishers at no cost to the consumer without limitations.
XBOne: MS limits what DLC and patches can be made available and institutes price floors (based on X360's Marketplace history).**

I know there are other differences. Anyone care to contribute their own or correct mine?

I didn't think there really had to be a list of the differences posted. Anyone who actually uses Steam should know how Steam works. I love games of all types. PC, consoles and handhelds. Steam has really come a nice way since it started up and it's typically my go-to for buying PC titles. ESPECIALLY come the sweet sales they do.

BigDug13

Probably more like $40 with one of the preorder deals that are around. Then 1-2 months later it will be $30. By the 6 month mark it will be less than $20.

Sentenza

Can you earn achievements in Steam's offline mode? .
Not exactly a strong argument in any case, but yes, you can.

Oh, by the way let me remark another noteworthy difference:

Steam: my library of software will most likely outlive my current hardware. And probably even the next one.
XB One: all my purchases will probably die with the console itself, but they will generously offer me an option to purchase them again on the equivalent of some Virtual Console bullshit with the next model.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom