• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's listen to every album on the Rolling Stone 500 Greatest Albums of All-Time list

Status
Not open for further replies.

Famassu

Yeeeeah, way too much shit like Simon & Garfunkel (too high up in the list) and emphasis on decades old music, while ignoring whole genres and sub-genres and more recent stuff that doesn't fall so much under the dad rock (or not-dad-rock-but-accepted-by-dad-rockers-of-today) umbrella.

Yeeeeah, way too much shit like Simon & Garfunkel (too high up in the list) and emphasis on decades old music, while ignoring whole genres and sub-genres and more recent stuff that doesn't fall so much under the dad rock (or not-dad-rock-but-accepted-by-dad-rockers-of-today) umbrella.
Well Simon & Garfunkel's record deserves to be high up there. Also, the list is quite old, I think this is from 2005.

It seems I've listened to a good chunk of these already (about 3/4 of the list).

There's A LOT of spots here I don't agree with, but as mentioned before by multiple people that's probably just the 50+ rockist lean to this list.

I find the lack of Rush or Genesis on this list disturbing.

John_Coltrane_-_Blue_Train.jpg

John Coltrane - Blue Train

So after seeing this thread I made it promise that i would listen to all albums apart from ones that i have know inside out, and another listen would not change my views.
I listen to all albums from start to finish, which didn't seem that much of a challenge until I got to 477 Merle Haggard. 100 SONGS!!!. I got through it in one sitting but fuck me. I have been keeping track of each album and giving it a score out of ten, might be a bit silly after just 1 playthrough of the album, but watcha gonna do. Any song that scores an 8 or higher goes Into my library.

I have listened to albums 500-454.

Pro's
499. B.B. King Live in Cook County Jail, 9/10. This album was such a joy and i never would have heard it if it was not for this thread. So thanks for that.

493. Wilco Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, 9/10, never really listened to Wilco despite them falling neatly into my usual genre.

465. The Magnetic Fields 69 Love Songs, 8/10. I cant help but have a soft spot for quirky indie bollocks.

Cons
461. Public Image Limited Metal Box, 1/10, gross
492. Eurythmics Touch 2/10, It was so painful to get through this.

For any body interested here are all my score so far. Scores of 0 are albums that I have skipped as i knew them well enough already.

454. Alice Cooper Love It to Death 7/10
455. Los Lobos How Will the Wolf Survive? 2
456. Marvin Gaye Here, My Dear 5
457. My Morning Jacket Z 3
458. Elton John Tumbleweed Connection 4
459. The Drifters The Drifters' Golden Hits 7
460. Hole Live Through This 6
461. Public Image Limited Metal Box 1
462. R.E.M. Document 6
463. Echo And The Bunnymen Heaven Up Here 5
464. Def Leppard Hysteria 3
465. The Magnetic Fields 69 Love Songs 8
466. Coldplay A Rush of Blood to the Head 0
467. Bruce Springsteen Tunnel Of Love 6
468. The Paul Butterfield Blues Band The Paul Butterfield Blues Band 5
469. Fugees The Score 7
470. LL Cool J Radio 5
471. George Michael Faith No
472. Richard & Linda Thompson Want to See the Bright Lights Tonight 5
473. The Smiths The Smiths 7
474. Manu Chao Próxima Estación... Esperanza 6
475. Elvis Costello and the Attractions Armed Forces 4
476. The Notorious B.I.G Life After Death 7
477. Merle Haggard Down Every Road (1962-1994) 6
478. Loretta Lynn All Time Greatest Hits 5
479. Funkadelic Maggot Brain 7
480. Chef Raekwon Only Built 4 Cuban Linx ... 7
481. D'Angelo Voodoo 3
482. Steve Earle Guitar Town 5
483. Gang of Four Entertainment! 3
484. Mott the Hoople All the Young Dudes 5
485. Pearl Jam Vitalogy 6
486. Earth, Wind & Fire That's the Way of the World 7
487. Cyndi Lauper She's So Unusual 5
488. Hüsker Dü New Day Rising 6
489. Kiss Destroyer 4
490. ZZ Top Tres Hombres 7
491. Albert King Born Under A Bad Sign 5
492. Eurythmics Touch 2
493. Wilco Yankee Hotel Foxtrot 9
494. MGMT Oracular Spectacular 0
495. Bonnie Raitt Give It Up 5
496. Boz Scaggs Boz Scaggs 5
497. The White Stripes White Blood Cells 0
498. The Stone Roses The Stone Roses 0
499. B.B. King Live in Cook County Jail 9
500. OutKast Aquemini Yes 7

Many of my Facebook friends haven't heard of "In the Court of the Crimson King". I discovered this album less than a month ago. Such a shame, this album is a masterpiece.

I wish I discovered music earlier.

Joe

I haven't been updating but I'm still going strong.

Just checking in to say that Led Zeppelin - Physical Graffiti is holy-fuck awesome.

Xun

I haven't been updating but I'm still going strong.

Just checking in to say that Led Zeppelin - Physical Graffiti is holy-fuck awesome.
Physical Graffiti has never been my favourite Zeppelin album, but it certainly is awesome!

I did appreciate it more after I got it on vinyl though.

Joe

Physical Graffiti has never been my favourite Zeppelin album, but it certainly is awesome!

I did appreciate it more after I got it on vinyl though.

Only other LZ album I've listened to was Led Zeppelin I which I thought was good but it just didn't grab me. Graffiti really hit me because they play so many different styles of music on it. I gotta go back to LZ1 and see if I like it any better now.

500. Outkast- Aquemini- Still love this album. Really good way to kick off the list. 9/10

499. B.B. King- Live in Cook County Jail- Pretty good. B.B. King showed he was the king of blues, but I usually find it hard to get into a 'Live' album, so I couldn't say I reeeally liked it. 7.5/10

498. The Stone Roses- The Stone Roses- This was a good debut album. It took me by surprise I hadn't ever really heard of the band. 7/10

497. The White Stripes- White Blood Cells- Nahhhhhh. 3.5/10

496. Boz Scaggs- Boz Scaggs- I'm taking off a whole point for the yodeling. It's not bad though. 5/10

495. Bonnie Raitt- Give it Up- Mom music. 5.5/10

494. MGMT- Oracular Spectacular- Starts off strong, then dips off. Still a pretty unique sound. 7.5/10

493. Wilco- Yankee Hotel Foxtrot- It's got that hipster sound to it that I don't really fuck with. 4/10

492. Eurythmics- Touch- I like all of the songs individually, but this album seems to never end when you listen from start to finish. 6/10

491. Albert King- Born Under a Bad Sign- It's okay. I liked it. Not really my cup of tea, though. 6/10

Xun

Only other LZ album I've listened to was Led Zeppelin I which I thought was good but it just didn't grab me. Graffiti really hit me because they play so many different styles of music on it. I gotta go back to LZ1 and see if I like it any better now.
A shame it didn't grab you, but it's not for everyone.

II is probably my personal favourite, followed closely by I and III respectively.

Definitely check them all out though! Although I'd suggest going in order from when you listen to LZI again.

500. Outkast- Aquemini- Still love this album. Really good way to kick off the list. 9/10

499. B.B. King- Live in Cook County Jail- Pretty good. B.B. King showed he was the king of blues, but I usually find it hard to get into a 'Live' album, so I couldn't say I reeeally liked it. 7.5/10

498. The Stone Roses- The Stone Roses- This was a good debut album. It took me by surprise I hadn't ever really heard of the band. 7/10

497. The White Stripes- White Blood Cells- Nahhhhhh. 3.5/10

496. Boz Scaggs- Boz Scaggs- I'm taking off a whole point for the yodeling. It's not bad though. 5/10

495. Bonnie Raitt- Give it Up- Mom music. 5.5/10

494. MGMT- Oracular Spectacular- Starts off strong, then dips off. Still a pretty unique sound. 7.5/10

493. Wilco- Yankee Hotel Foxtrot- It's got that hipster sound to it that I don't really fuck with. 4/10

492. Eurythmics- Touch- I like all of the songs individually, but this album seems to never end when you listen from start to finish. 6/10

491. Albert King- Born Under a Bad Sign- It's okay. I liked it. Not really my cup of tea, though. 6/10

Thanks for the update, keep em coming.
Love hearing peoples thoughts on each album.

But dude/dudette.....white blood cells 3.5? when you give eurythimcs 6? This is a bad opinion.
Happy to see you discovered Stone Roses . But a heads up, they only get worse, so dont listen to their later stuff.

If you think wilco is hipster, wait until you get to 69 love songs.

Norfair

I've been listening to some of these at work the past few weeks. This is what I remember.

500. OutKast, 'Aquemini' - It was ok. Probably just not my thing. I ended up not listening to it all.

499. B.B. King, 'Live in Cook County Jail' - Appreciated it more then I liked it.

498. The Stone Roses, 'The Stone Roses' - I bought this a few years ago when somebody made a thread about it. It's still on my phone now. Pretty good.

497. The White Stripes, 'White Blood Cells' - I do like me some White Stripes and this is a pretty good one.

496. Boz Scaggs, 'Boz Scaggs' - Couldn't find a way to listen to this (I've been using Youtube and Amazon Prime since most other music streaming services are blocked here at work)

495. Bonnie Raitt, 'Give It Up' - I actually kinda liked this.

494. MGMT, 'Oracular Spectacular' - This was new for me. Oh so that's where the music from the Spiderman Homecoming trailer comes from. Pretty enjoyable.

493. Wilco, 'Yankee Hotel Foxtrot' - I skipped this album. I was fairly unimpressed with it last time I listened to it.

I made it up to 476. I can't do my review thing for every album. Also, I'm going to start skipping any "best of's" or compilations, as I don't feel they are in the spirit of this list.

Gonna steal Bright Lights idea and just:

476. The Notorious B.I.G Life After Death 7/10
477. Merle Haggard Down Every Road (1962-1994) didn't listen (4 disc compilation) I love Merle, but nope.
478. Loretta Lynn All Time Greatest Hits 4/10
479. Funkadelic Maggot Brain 10/10
480. Chef Raekwon Only Built 4 Cuban Linx ... 5/10
481. D'Angelo Voodoo 9/10
482. Steve Earle Guitar Town 6/10
483. Gang of Four Entertainment! 9/10
484. Mott the Hoople All the Young Dudes 7/10

Highlights of this portion of the list are definitely Maggot Brain,Voodoo and Entertainment. Gang of Four is such rocking shit that still sounds so relevant from a musical and lyrical perspective. That Steve Earle album isn't awful, but it's just the type of garbage country rock that I feel like it's inspired, is off-putting to me. Don't get me wrong, I love some good country rock. You'll see when we get to the Gram Parsons/Byrds/Michael Nesmith (lol, probably not on there), stuff.

Joe

I DONT GET CAPTAIN BEEFHEART

I'm trying to connect but there's nothing to connect to. I read a YouTube comment that said to focus on just one instrument at a time but that hasn't helped at all.

GoutPatrol

Forgotten in his cell

Can't believe I'm responding to this post, but Simon and Garfunkel are one of the best duos of all time and they're albums are classics.

I DONT GET CAPTAIN BEEFHEART

I'm trying to connect but there's nothing to connect to. I read a YouTube comment that said to focus on just one instrument at a time but that hasn't helped at all.
Try Safe as Milk or Shiny Beast(Bat Chain Puller) first

Cool idea, think I'll jump in. I guess the best way to spice up the order is just random number generating so here's what I got to listen to over the next few days (good first four):

Johnny Cash - Folsom Prison
Eminem - Marshal Mathers (love this one)
Daft Punk - Homework
N.W.A. - Straight Outta Compton

Joe

Completed the Top 100!

Really enjoying it so far. Some thoughts on 1-100 that stick out to me:

• It's crazy how good the Beatles were
  • Blues influenced so much
  • Soul and funk is the shit
  • Elvis Presley's voice just sounds like a rock star
  • Folk music is hit or miss with me
  • Stevie Wonder made ridiculously good albums
  • The Allman Brothers Band can better than any other band I've heard
  • James Brown is a national treasure
  • I like Led Zeppelin and The Rolling Stones a lot more than I thought I would
  • I do not like The Who
  • Jazz is still an on-going process for me, I'm not giving up though

Paul's Boutique....holy shit. It's amazing.

Yeah it is. If you don't like the Who and haven't checked out these albums already, try Live at Leeds (find this track listing - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live_at_Leeds#1995_CD_reissue) or The Who Sing My Generation (their first album)

as for jazz, check out these albums (the might be classics but theres nothing wrong with that)

- Miles Davis - Kind of Blue (sounds like "jazz")
- Miles Davis - In a Silent Way (if you like this, continue on in his discography in this time period - Bitches Brew, Live- Evil, A Tribute to Jack Johnson)
- Ahmad Jamal - At the Pershing
- Herbie Hancock - Headhunters (funky as fuck)
- Eric Dolphy - Out To Lunch

HighlanderCZ

Neo Member
I wish I could join in, but I'm absolutely unable to take this particular list seriously if it doesn't include The Holy Bible by Manic Street Preachers *at all*.

I wish I could join in, but I'm absolutely unable to take this particular list seriously if it doesn't include The Holy Bible by Manic Street Preachers *at all*.

There (probably) aren't any albums from West Africa included on this list, yet it's still a decent compilation of good music to listen to. What is your point?

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I'm happy to see the love for Love in here.
One album in the top 500, but it's so special. Glad you got to it early.

I'm actually a huge fan, love their other albums as well. Even the later ones when the other members left.
His story is sad, but it was nice to see him "come back" for a bit. He died a few years ago.

I listened to Forever Changes last night. It is so damn awesome. Seriously, I can't wait to listen to it again (and again). I only listened to Da Capo by Love so it was definitely a treat

HighlanderCZ

Neo Member
There (probably) aren't any albums from West Africa included on this list, yet it's still a decent compilation of good music to listen to. What is your point?

I'm biased and I was a wee bit drunk yesterday when I made that post. Don't mean to derail the thread, so... carry on.

HighlanderCZ

Neo Member
For what it's worth, I checked out the band you mentioned in your post

Hey, thank you for answering. I will admit I get a bit frustrated when I see these kind of lists without the Manic being mentioned, because I think they deserve a lot more recognition, particularly the album I talked about.

So thanks for giving them a listen (I recommend the song Faster if you haven't heard it yet) and I'm yearning for recommendations you think should've made the list.

Really good taste man. T-rex is one of my favorite bands ever. If you need some recommendations when you're through with this list, hit me up. I know a lot of their amazing albums will not make this top 500, but they are all worth hearing.

Joe

Thanks! I might actually take you up on that offer at some point. I really enjoyed listening to that album. I had never even heard of T. Rex so I assumed it was a person not a band and that he had died early or something. There was a lot of skill and style on that album.

Joe

Stuck on The Neil Diamond Collection, I want to skip it so bad but I can't let myself do it. I listen for a few minutes then take a 20 minute breather.

I'm rather upset at the lack of Progressive Rock on this list. Genesis, Rush, Camel, or Yes. I know Fragile is on it, but Close to the Edge is their greatest album, and it to not be listed is crazy.

There's just so much classic prog that isn't given more attention!

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.

Actually S&G Bridge over Troubled Water and Sounds of Silence are great albums and this comes from a guy whose iPod is filled with thrash/heavy metal, Club Mix Compilations and Drum & Bass (and a bit of Pink Floyd for those long drives) ;-)

The list is subjective, what would be nice to see is a top 500 list with only one album per band. I love Beatles & Beach Boys for example but do they really have that many great albums?

464. Def Leppard Hysteria 3

You should give that album an extra point as the drummer only has one arm.

Joe

One of the biggest and best surprises so far:

YfdMv8l.jpg

Janet Jackson - The Velvet Rope

It is not what I expected at all and it is damn good. I was expecting a pure pop album but it's really a deep, artistic, and very personal trip-hop album.

From Wiki:
Upon experiencing an emotional breakdown, Jackson began facing a long-term case of depression, steaming from childhood and adolescent traumas, including body dysmorphia, anorexia and self-harm. She in turn developed her new record as a concept album, using introspection as its theme. Its title is a metaphor for emotional boundaries, as well as an allusion to an individual's need to feel special. Its lyrics address subject matter such as depression, self-worth, social networking, homophobia and domestic violence. It also encompasses themes of sexuality, including BDSM, masturbation, sexual orientation and same-sex relationships. Due to its sexually explicit content, the album reinforced Jackson's public image as a sex symbol and as one of the most erotic vocalists of the 1990s. Its incorporation of social issues regarding sexual orientation and combating homophobia also established her reputation as a gay icon and received a GLAAD Media Award for Outstanding Music.

A few tracks:
Janet Jackson - Velvet Rope
Janet Jackson - Got 'Til It's Gone (feat. Q-Tip and Joni Mitchell)
Janet Jackson - Rope Burn (nsfw)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom