• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's look over the Donkey Kong franchise's past, and speculate about its future

Mpsrart29.png

He's the leader of the bunch, you know him well, but he's been not around much to kick some tail.

It's true, DK once was a major player for Nintendo, and the main mascot of Nintendo's relationship with Rareware upon the release of Donkey Kong Country on the Super Nintendo.

After Rareware was sold to Microsoft in 2002 just after the release of Star Fox Adventures on GameCube, DK has been tossed around to various devs, including Namco, Paon, and Retro Studios.

Namco got their Taiko team IIRC to create the Donkey Konga games for GC, using an all-new controller called the DK Bongos. As you would imagine, these were music games. There were 3 in total with the 3rd only ever being released in Japan.

Nintendo themselves would give DK one major go during this era. They tasked their then newly-formed team EAD Tokyo in 2005 to create an all-new DK platformer with the DK Bongos on GC titled Donkey Kong Jungle Beat.

Then in the same year, Paon, formed by ex-Data East folks, would start working on the series with DK King of Swing for the GBA. This was the first game to introduce the modern designs on the characters (I would imagine Nintendo did the redesigns themselves rather than Paon). Paon would next make a sequel in DK Jungle Climber on the DS, this time using a re-rendered art-style very similar to the original Country games on SNES. Finally in 2007 they finished on Wii a game that they started on GC called Donkey Kong Barrel Blast.

Right after in 2008, Nintendo decided to knock on Retro Studios' door and offer the IP to them after Retro had some key departures (which resulted in Armature Studio), and they accepted. This resulted in the release of Donkey Kong Country Returns on Wii in 2010. Retro would follow-up with Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze in 2014 for Wii U.

And DK actually had a special playable appearance in the Skylanders series starting with Superchargers as a gust star alongside Bowser, he even got his own figure.

But now we're coming up to 3 years after Tropical Freeze (time flies doesn't it?). It's not certain if Retro is making a 3rd DK (resulting in more outcries of Retro working on fucking Donkey Kong! :p), but nonetheless we can still think about what could happen and what we'd want to see.

Naturally we now have a dev team formed by folks very familiar to DK who would be the perfect caretakers of the franchise. You know them, you love them.

KWHhgnx.png

Playtonic seems to be the new Rare, and right now they're busy finishing up their Banjo-successor called Yooka-Laylee.

Playtonic has numerous folks who've worked on Rare's DK games such as the original DKC trilogy and DK64. Really I wouldn't have anyone else I'd rather work on DK than them personally.

There was also the rumor going around for the least 4 years about Monster Games being LONG at work on Diddy Kong Racing 2 for Wii, then Wii U, and now Switch. Well now that Monster's keeping themselves busy with Nascar games, the dream's basically dead, and some don't even think it ever was a thing. Well, maybe it will be a thing someday.

Of course Nintendo could always reconsider Climax's pitch for Diddy Kong Racing Adventure that was just unearthed a few days ago that was done back in 2004. So who knows, I'd be totally up for it, and they can work with Playtonic as well on it.

What do you think will happen with DK in the short term? I'm still shocked we never saw a true original entry on 3DS, just a port of DKCR with some added content.

Maybe we'll finally see a new TV show.

CL1Wqe6UEAAFNYX.png

We must.

Thoughts?

Neptonic

I expect the franchise will expand.

I really enjoyed Tropical Freeze, I could take another one of those before getting fatigued I thing. Or a DK64 remake. That would be rad.

I really don't think we need another 2D DK any time soon.
A 3D platformer would be a nice new step. Additionally, a redesign might help. He's kind of...ugly? I think his most appealing design was probably from Jungle Beat which is probably my favorite DK game.

I know everyone wants Retro to move on from DK so they can bring back Metroid/some other inactive series or just make some new western oriented IPs but I think it's kind of a shame it's most likely going to result DK going back into spinoff limbo like back in the GBA/GCN era unless Nintendo is able to find a new developer for it that can do the series justice.

Rambler

I know everyone wants Retro to move on from DK so they can bring back Metroid/some other inactive series or just make some new western oriented IPs but I think it's kind of a shame it's most likely going to result DK going back into spinoff limbo like back in the GBA/GCN era unless Nintendo is able to find a new developer for it that can do the series justice.
Other M must have been humiliating for Nintendo so I wouldn't be surprised if they put their A-list guys on Donkey Kong after Retro moves on.

Naturally we now have a dev team formed by folks very familiar to DK who would be the perfect caretakers of the franchise. You know them, you love them.

KWHhgnx.png

Playtonic seems to be the new Rare, and right now they're busy finishing up their Banjo-successor called Yooka-Laylee.

Playtonic has numerous folks who've worked on Rare's DK games such as the original DKC trilogy and DK64. Really I wouldn't have anyone else I'd rather work on DK than them personally.

lmao at the hyperbole, lets see them deliver something first.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Retro's third DK game will focus on what happened to DK Jr.

The final levels of both games use the DK Jr melody and DKCR even has a statue from Donkey Kong Jr. Math.

He was the mastermind behind everything...

I really don't think we need another 2D DK any time soon.
A 3D platformer would be a nice new step. Additionally, a redesign might help. He's kind of...ugly? I think his most appealing design was probably from Jungle Beat which is probably my favorite DK game.

Wut how is he ugly?

His design is great lol.

Doorman

Retro's third DK game will focus on what happened to DK Jr.

The final levels of both games use the DK Jr melody and DKCR even has a statue from Donkey Kong Jr. Math.

He was the mastermind behind everything...
But...the current DK is DK Jr.? That was set up back in the first DKC and I don't think Nintendo's ever gone back on that.

DK is in an odd spot, especially if Country is put on the back burner at Retro again. Personally I'd love to see another shot at the flow/combo based idea of Jungle Beat, or some sort of game with more of a combat emphasis. Something that sets it further apart from the Mario platformers and plays more to DK's physical strength.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
But...the current DK is DK Jr.? That was set up back in the first DKC and I don't think Nintendo's ever gone back on that.

Cranky Kong = Donkey Kong from the arcade
DK Jr = Cranky's son
Donkey "King of Swing" Kong = DK Jr's son

MoonFrog

Personally, I really like the DKC Returns series going on now but one area it does not live up to the originals is in terms of style imo. Tropical Freeze was better with the Vikings, but the Kremlings were just better, particularly as pirates in DKC2.

Also, I want Retro to move on anyway :p.

IDK what I want from DK's future. More DKC, but with more style and less Retro even though Retro's doing a good job.

Doorman

Cranky Kong = Donkey Kong from the arcade
DK Jr = Cranky's son
Donkey "King of Swing" Kong = DK Jr's son
Ah yeah, you're right. I messed up my DK lore.

Dad Kong...at this point I feel like meeting him would be uncomfortable for some reason? Then again most of the Kong Clan already weirds me out, so who knows.
I'm good with Swanky Kong, though.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I'm just glad I got to play Donkey Kong 64 on the Virtual Console, best surprise for me next to them finally putting up Mystical Ninja 64.

Game was honestly pretty fun and I'd be all for another open-world DK.

Top Bottom